50 Years, 9 Nights, 5 Beds and 1 Big Fat Mistake

Toll booths SMB. If you don't have Ez pass and are driving to the shore you are crazy. The high speed ez pass lanes are sweet.

I'm fortunate to live in a state without a single toll road.  That do indeed SMB.  

I know that you made the right decision going with RCCL.

We've cruised on several different cruise lines and I've found that the company you keep is more important than the ship your on. And Im Sure you had great company.

But I am curious to hear your opinion.

I love the pix of INC kissing on Anna.

You will certainly hear my opinion.  

Love the update! We also got the SunPass sticker for my truck, love it!!!

SunPass is the only way to go.  On the Beeline, there was this idiot in a little hatchback that kept blowing past me at a high speed, but he had to stop at every toll booth, so I still got to Orlando before him.  

Toll roads in FL SMB. 

Anna seems like the only one of your daughters who was amused by picture taking at dinner. 

Did any of your kids bust their teeth out in Cocoa Beach? That will forever be my memory there. 

No teeth busting took place, thankfully.  And I think my kids were a bit tired at that moment.  

I'm way late, but I'm in. Awesome pictures! So cool to see pics of Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach from another Fiend, as I look at those sites almost everyday. Looking forward to more updates!

Cody

Thanks for reading along, Cody!

FYI cool people call Publix Subs Pub Subs.  Also, do you know that they now have an app for you to order your Pub Subs?  We've used it a couple of times and it works great.

Also, is that a fried chicken box I see?:

DSCN4020.JPG

And Shock Tops?

Y'all were living large.

TCD

You may not know this, but my neighborhood grocery store in TN is Publix.  We are in there several times per week, and have been for 11 years.  And yet this term Pub Subs is foreign to me.  I think you made it up.  

And the box was chicken wings.  My FIL bought those.  The Shock Tops were mine, but only because this particular Publix had a very poor selection of cold beer.  INC prefers a wheat beer like Blue Moon, but they had no wheat selections except the Shock Tops.  I made them palatable however with a fresh orange.  you may notice the orange....it's the thing in the middle of the table with the plastic knife sticking out of it.  

Chicken, Pizza, Subs, and Beer?

Nice!

It filled our stomachs, which was the primary point.  The real eating commenced the next day.  

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I broke my no trip report rule and read this one SO FAR. The picture count better ramp up or I am going back to my rule.   I have had a sun pass for a few yrs and it is great although I usually on

Toll booths SMB. If you don't have Ez pass and are driving to the shore you are crazy. The high speed ez pass lanes are sweet.

Andrew, are you trying to get me to read one of your TR's?       sent from that black box sitting on my desk using my fingers on the typing thingy

Let me back up just a bit and tell you about the smartest decision I ever made in my entire life. Several years ago, after getting sick of all the stupid toll booths in Florida, I got myself a Sun Pass. I hate paying tolls, but you can't avoid them in Florida. And the Sun Pass makes it so easy to just breeze through the toll booths and not have to stop and throw change into a basket or pay some clown a bunch of cash. This is important for this trip, because if you've ever driven the Bee Line (or as they now call it...the Beechline) expressway you know there is a toll booth every 2 miles.

OOPS! Don't you mean 2nd best? Wasn't #1 marrying INC? :rotfl6:

I do think that it waa a great idea however, we have the Illinois "I"pass which works on the East coast "EZ" pass system, as well as the Sun Pass.

I'm fortunate to live in a state without a single toll road.  That do indeed SMB.

Wow. I didn't know that about Tennessee. I've driven thorough parts of Georgia and Alabama several times in the past year, and I haven't encountered toll roads there.

Florida SMB. Gas in Alabama last week was $.50 cheaper per gallon than what I paid in Florida when I left- and all the toll roads we have can really add up.  In the meantime, our legislature is spending all the extra money they are flush with on pork barrel projects, and college tuition continues to rise.

Sunpass now works with license plate technology, so my girls can use my account even though they don't have transponders or the window sticker in their cars (the license plates have to be registered).

You may not know this, but my neighborhood grocery store in TN is Publix.  We are in there several times per week, and have been for 11 years.  And yet this term Pub Subs is foreign to me.  I think you made it up.  

And the box was chicken wings.  My FIL bought those.  The Shock Tops were mine, but only because this particular Publix had a very poor selection of cold beer.  INC prefers a wheat beer like Blue Moon, but they had no wheat selections except the Shock Tops.  I made them palatable however with a fresh orange.  you may notice the orange....it's the thing in the middle of the table with the plastic knife sticking out of it.

Nope, I didn't make it up. Pub Subs are definitely a thing in Gainesville and Tallahassee. So you can start it there in Tennessee.

I missed the orange, so thanks for pointing that out. I like an orange in my Shock Tops and Blue Moons.

TCD

Dave, I know you meant to report this originally, but knowing that you are extremely busy, I have corrected this entry for you....

I went up to the room to change into my leopard print bikini speedo and looked down, and BAM there was INC.  

DSCN4013.JPG

DSCN4014.JPG

We don't call them Pub Subs in GA either. He could be making it up.

GA had 1 toll road, but they aren't taking tolls anymore, and the plaza is currently being dismantled.

We don't call them Pub Subs in NC either.  But we don't have Publix here.

Also we don't have any toll roads in NC.

GA had 1 toll road, but they aren't taking tolls anymore, and the plaza is currently being dismantled.

Well, I guess we now know that you're not cool.

If you had Publix there, then you would call them Pub Subs, Gwen, because we know that you're cool.

I agree. We don't call them Pub Subs in Alabama either.

Well, maybe not in your neck of the woods.

The oldest TCD DD calls them Pub Subs, and there is a Publix in Auburn.  Actually, there might be two.

TCD

For those of you who are unenlightened and/or not-cool, please review this authoritative piece of journalism, in which the term "Pub Sub" is used:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/publix-subs-are-the-most-delicious-thing-to-ever-happen-on-e

Also, just for giggles, google Pub Sub and tell me what the first site that comes up is.

There you go.

If you want to be hip, call them Pub Subs.

TCD

Actually Gwen we do on both accounts... but be prepared to drive... There are 2 Publix stores in Charlotte area, and one will be opening up in Cary sometime later on this summer... 

Also, as far as toll roads, we have one of those as well... It runs from basically I-40 between Durham and Raleigh and dead ends into Hwy 55 in Apex.  The geniuses in Raleigh ran out of money to fund the outer loop, so they are attempting to toll the poor souls from southern Wake county who have to commute to the RTP area....  It has been a major fail because no one uses it that much...

If you had Publix there, then you would call them Pub Subs, Gwen, because we know that you're cool.

The oldest TCD DD calls them Pub Subs, and there is a Publix in Auburn.  Actually, there might be two.

TCD

So get ready to wear the "cool" button with pride, as Publix makes its way across the "Old North State"

FYI cool people call Publix Subs Pub Subs.  Also, do you know that they now have an app for you to order your Pub Subs?  We've used it a couple of times and it works great.

TCD

Back in my Florida days I called them Sublix, never heard of Pub Subs.  I can't tell you how many times I had them for lunch, especially the cubano.  But CP and I are part of the small group that aren't obsessed with Publix Subs.  Some of our friends that moved away get really excited about a Publix Sub, but we don't miss them at all, maybe its because we moved to Louisiana that is home to some pretty amazing poboys??

I hadn't heard about the app, that's pretty smart and should help get rid of that line at lunch.

WBI

I just finished reading all the other comments, glad to know I'm not the only one that hasn't heard of Pub Subs!  Let's push for Sublix, I like it better! lol

Also no Publix in my neck of the woods either, and honestly I'm fine with that.

Edited by WannaBeImagineer

OOPS! Don't you mean 2nd best? Wasn't #1 marrying INC? :rotfl6:

I do think that it waa a great idea however, we have the Illinois "I"pass which works on the East coast "EZ" pass system, as well as the Sun Pass.

You're right.  And I guess there would be an argument that having our daughters and adopting Anna would be the 2nd best decision.  But clearly the SunPass is #3. 

Wow. I didn't know that about Tennessee. I've driven thorough parts of Georgia and Alabama several times in the past year, and I haven't encountered toll roads there.

Florida SMB. Gas in Alabama last week was $.50 cheaper per gallon than what I paid in Florida when I left- and all the toll roads we have can really add up.  In the meantime, our legislature is spending all the extra money they are flush with on pork barrel projects, and college tuition continues to rise.

Sunpass now works with license plate technology, so my girls can use my account even though they don't have transponders or the window sticker in their cars (the license plates have to be registered).

Nope, I didn't make it up. Pub Subs are definitely a thing in Gainesville and Tallahassee. So you can start it there in Tennessee.

I missed the orange, so thanks for pointing that out. I like an orange in my Shock Tops and Blue Moons.

TCD

I am not going to start the trend of calling them Pub Subs in Tennessee.  And truthfully, I don't really care for them all that much.  They don't have a great veggie selection, and depending on the time of day the rolls can start to get stale. 

Despite his assertions and the weird link he provided, I agree he's making it up. 

Dave, I know you meant to report this originally, but knowing that you are extremely busy, I have corrected this entry for you....

You figured me out.  I like to vacation masquerading as a French Canadian.  (no offense to Mo.)

I never make it for FPBR...I barely made it for page 6.

Loving this TR so far. Your girls are so beautiful! Looking forward to more. 

Page 6 is the new page 4, so don't feel bad. 

Don't feel bad about Publix.  They aren't all that great IMO....although their employees are usually pretty nice.   

I agree. We don't call them Pub Subs in Alabama either.

Yep. 

TCD

Just because your daughter calls them Pub Subs does not mean that it is a "thing" in Alabama.  She learned it from you, afterall.  I'm kind of wondering whether it is even a thing in Dunedin....or just at your house.

For those of you who are unenlightened and/or not-cool, please review this authoritative piece of journalism, in which the term "Pub Sub" is used:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/publix-subs-are-the-most-delicious-thing-to-ever-happen-on-e

Also, just for giggles, google Pub Sub and tell me what the first site that comes up is.

There you go.

If you want to be hip, call them Pub Subs.

TCD

Blah blah blah. 

Stop that Andrew. This is not the college football thread.

Hey, that's not funny. 

Actually Gwen we do on both accounts... but be prepared to drive... There are 2 Publix stores in Charlotte area, and one will be opening up in Cary sometime later on this summer... 

Also, as far as toll roads, we have one of those as well... It runs from basically I-40 between Durham and Raleigh and dead ends into Hwy 55 in Apex.  The geniuses in Raleigh ran out of money to fund the outer loop, so they are attempting to toll the poor souls from southern Wake county who have to commute to the RTP area....  It has been a major fail because no one uses it that much...

So get ready to wear the "cool" button with pride, as Publix makes its way across the "Old North State"

So you have toll roads AND Publix.  Now you just need a cruise port and some more theme parks and you'd be Florida North.   

Back in my Florida days I called them Sublix, never heard of Pub Subs.  I can't tell you how many times I had them for lunch, especially the cubano.  But CP and I are part of the small group that aren't obsessed with Publix Subs.  Some of our friends that moved away get really excited about a Publix Sub, but we don't miss them at all, maybe its because we moved to Louisiana that is home to some pretty amazing poboys??

I hadn't heard about the app, that's pretty smart and should help get rid of that line at lunch.

WBI

I just finished reading all the other comments, glad to know I'm not the only one that hasn't heard of Pub Subs!  Let's push for Sublix, I like it better! lol

Also no Publix in my neck of the woods either, and honestly I'm fine with that.

I really don't think I like the term Sublix and better than Pub Subs.  Is it so difficult just to call them Publix Subs? 

I do agree with you on not missing Publix.  I think the only reason people are gaga about Publix around where I live is that before they came into TN, all they had was Kroger.  And Kroger basically defines the concept of grocery SMB.

Great news on Publix!  Although I won't be driving 1.5+ hours to go grocery shopping.  Maybe there's hope for us to get a Publix here in the Piedmont.

Let's hope NC doesn't try to build more toll roads ...

I Still Hate Beaches

I have one more update to post before we get to the cruise, so I'll post those pics now. 

Some of you know that I am not a fan of beaches.  Kelly will tell you that I really don't like anything, but that's ludicrous.  There are 1 or 2 things I like.  But beaches are not one of them. 

However, since our hotel in Cocoa Beach had beach access, we decided to take a quick walk down there after our dinner of Pub Subs. 

The hotel website says that the beach is 200 yards from the hotel along a boardwalk.  I actually think they overestimated the walk....it did not seem that far.  It only took a few minutes and we were here.

DSCN4024.JPG

I may not like the beach, but Anna sure seems to. 

DSCN4025.JPG

I love her hair in this picture. 

DSCN4026.JPG

You can tell who my beach loving girl is.  LOL. 

DSCN4027.JPG

DSCN4029.JPG

Here are some of my girls with INC's Dad. 

DSCN4031.JPG

DSCN4032.JPG

DSCN4036.JPG

Izzy must be standing on lower ground, because she's actually 2 inches taller than I am. 

DSCN4043.JPG

DSCN4044.JPG

That's all the beach pictures I have.  We walked back up to the hotel and pretty much got settled in for the night.  Well, except for our snack.  INC and I had leftover cereal from the night before at the Villages, so after we were in our pajamas we went down to the lobby and bought some soy milk from the Starbucks counter there, and asked them for a couple of bowls.  We then sat in the lobby eating our evening cereal.  My FIL came walking through the lobby at one point and spotted us, and he started laughing his head off.  What can I say?  We make ourselves at home anywhere. 

After our cereal, we went back to the room and went to bed.  We had a big day planned on Monday and had to rest!