Guest Loses Tips of Fingers On Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney World

JULY 10, 2014 BY DOCTOR DISNEY LEAVE A COMMENT

An accident occurred at Walt Disney World on Thursday, July 10, 2014, and it led to a male guest losing the tips of two of his fingers. The accident happened on the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction early on Thursday morning at the Magic Kingdom.

Per Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department, a male victim from the United Kingdom lost the tip of his pinkie finger and his ring finger on his right hand during a ride on Pirates of the Caribbean.

The guest was taken to a local hospital so that staff could tend to his injuries.

At this time, there have been no details released as to how exactly the man was injured. Rumored reports going around state that he had his hand in the water and may have gotten it caught on the side of the attraction or in a grating of some sort.

Other rumored reports state that the guest was in a Pirates of the Caribbean boat as it went down the small hill, he had his hand in the water, and was somehow injured.

Again, there are no confirmed reports as to how he was injured, but it is confirmed that he was.

Pirates of the Caribbean was reported as being not operational for at least five hours on Thursday at the Magic Kingdom.

Disney officials have said that the attraction was checked by inspectors and deemed safe to reopen. As of 5:00 p.m. EST, Pirates of the Caribbean was said to be operational once again.

Disney has said that incident reports are still being checked as it is unclear as to how the unnamed guest was injured.

Disney Cast Members on numerous attractions, including Pirates of the Caribbean, do constantly advise guests to keep their hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the boat at all times.

More on this story as it is revealed.

Post to Facebook

Gee, thanks, Mr. Can't Follow Directions.  Events like this are why (if he indeed had his hand outside the safe confines of the boat) tickets just keep going up.  Insurance and lawsuits cost a lot.

Assuming that he actually did had his hands outside the boat (which seems an obvious answer), reminds me of riding IASW in May. The young girl (4-5ish?) in the boat in front of us kept leaving out of the boat to touch the water.  Leaning way out... as in, as we were coming back into the load/unload area, I really thought she was going to get her head squished.  Her parents were obliviously not paying any attention to her.

According to London's Sky News:

"Bo Jones, of the Reedy Creek Fire Department, told Sky News it is possible the thrill-seeker did not keep his hand inside the ride. "We received a call from a Disney cast member informing us that a guest had been injured, so we responded and he was treated at a local hospital. It was a non-emergency situation," he said.  "He was around 57 years old. What the medic told me is was he was saying, 'I had my hand on the side of the boat and I shouldn't have. It was all my fault.'"

http://news.sky.com/story/1299324/brit-tourist-loses-fingertips-on-disney-ride

I asked one of our office's attorneys to quickly research Disney's track record to get a sense if they just roll over or actually fight law suits. Hey, I can do this, my last name is on his pay check.

Anyway, Disney has an excellent track record defending itself. While they're a target because of the obvious "deep pockets", "deep pockets" works both ways. They have the resources and time, and they do aggressively fight law suits against them when they feel they are in the right.

So, people can sue all they want, it's unlikely that they'll prevail.

People sue yes, but it's the idiots who want to "stick it to the corporations" and grant the large sums that are the problem. If the guy truly takes responsibility for his own actions I'd by him a beverage of his choice and say a toast to him. I may have to help him open it though. 

By the way this is my first post. Perhaps this isn't the best way to introduce myself... Oh well. At least you know where I stand on the topic. ;D

People sue yes, but it's the idiots who want to "stick it to the corporations" and grant the large sums that are the problem. If the guy truly takes responsibility for his own actions I'd by him a beverage of his choice and say a toast to him. I may have to help him open it though.

By the way this is my first post. Perhaps this isn't the best way to introduce myself... Oh well. At least you know where I stand on the topic. ;D

:welcome:

Excellent first post.

We like to think that we're cutting edge around here.

The "I may have to help him open it" line is very funny.

Welcome, now go over to the "introduce yourself" thread and introduce yourself.

Welcome!!!

And :rofl2:  over helping him open it.

I have to say when someone is injured in the parks they are very quick to take care of you. 

Our daughter was injured on the Buzz Lightyear ride. She was 6 at the time and as we were getting off the ride the car lurched forward and she banged her face. Her nose immediately started bleeding like crazy. They quickly rushed in to take her backstage and had medics check her out. Her nose wasn't broken and it did stop bleeding after about 10 minutes. They had some big whig types there the entire time, they were very nice to all of us. Her clothes and shoes were covered in blood so they sent someone to get her an outfit in her favorite color with shoes. They asked if we wanted her taken to the hospital, we didn't, it wasn't a bad injury. After they got her all cleaned up and we were done they gave us fastpasses for the rest of the day and we were on our way. 

We heard from them later that night, they had someone stop by our campsite to check on her. And we heard from them when we returned home. 

It was just an accident, she wasn't doing anything stupid and they didn't do anything wrong but I was very impressed with how professionally the situation was handled. We joke every time we go that one of the kids should sacrifice themselves with a small injury so we can get a days worth of fastpasses. 

Anyhow back to the story of the guy who lost his fingertips, it goes to show you that they do have warnings for a reason, I imagine he will always heed those warnings now.