Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

I believe (although that may not be accurate any more). Some of the Port Orleans Riverside rooms have a trundle bed and sleep 5.

Also, you could stay at the Fort and rent a popup camper or other travel trailer that is delivered to your site. Especially a popup and the site rental fee is the same or less than a moderate resort.

Yes the Alligator Bayou has a trundle, but the youngest has to be 5 or under.  And again no option for if you have a 4th kid.  We have a camper (It's a jalopy but a camper none the less), I have tried to avoid posting this on the Fiends website, BUT....  My husband does not want to camp at Disney.  I know.  I know.  He is crazy.  He just doesn't want to drive it all the way down, have to set up and all that jazz.  I've already informed him that we probably won't have a choice in a few years.  I know he would love it when we got there, he's just hard to convince.  :)  

Now, there are two quality posts.

Good job, Brian and Dave.

So, that shipwreck has a name. 

And it's not Lady something.

What is this sign?:

boatsign_zps68130ef0.jpg

It has to be something related to the pirate cruises they do.

But, what?

TCD

Why thank you TCD, I'm not sure about the Lady User___ name, but when we did the Capt Hook Adventure tour last year they called it the "Treasure Island" shipwreck and there was no sign on the ship when they shined there "torches" on it, I of course chimed in and said it was the wreck of Cap'n Flint's Walrus which lead to being brought to the front by Patch and charged with treason, good thing there was no plank on the boat!...

I believe (although that may not be accurate any more). Some of the Port Orleans Riverside rooms have a trundle bed and sleep 5.

Also, you could stay at the Fort and rent a popup camper or other travel trailer that is delivered to your site. Especially a popup and the site rental fee is the same or less than a moderate resort.

LOL.  We were posting at the same time. You're right about the Alligator Bayou rooms.  I'm not sure if the Mansion rooms have the bed.  I have a couple of photos of the bed- it's not really what I would call a trundle:

51814177_zpsf04e0db8.jpg

51814176_zpsa30cc23a.jpg

It's small to be sure, but I didn't see anything about a weight limit on it.  Only Twin #2 and I were in this room for the night we stayed, so no one needed to use that bed, but the twins both said they'd have no problem sleeping on it.

Yes the Alligator Bayou has a trundle, but the youngest has to be 5 or under.  And again no option for if you have a 4th kid.  We have a camper (It's a jalopy but a camper none the less), I have tried to avoid posting this on the Fiends website, BUT....  My husband does not want to camp at Disney.  I know.  I know.  He is crazy.  He just doesn't want to drive it all the way down, have to set up and all that jazz.  I've already informed him that we probably won't have a choice in a few years.  I know he would love it when we got there, he's just hard to convince.   :)

I didn't know about the 5 or under limit.  Can't help you with the 4th kid.  You're definitely stuck after the 3rd.

Your Husband needs to catch the Fort bug.  You should seriously think about renting a camper and taking a trip.  I understand him not wanting to set up stuff, but I think he'd love sitting under an awning having a beverage of his choice, or taking a spin on a golf cart.  So much better than hanging out in small hotel room.  Maybe if you could show him how much money you will "save" by camping, he'd at least give it a try.

TCD

Why thank you TCD, I'm not sure about the Lady User___ name, but when we did the Capt Hook Adventure tour last year they called it the "Treasure Island" shipwreck and there was no sign on the ship when they shined there "torches" on it, I of course chimed in and said it was the wreck of Cap'n Flint's Walrus which lead to being brought to the front by Patch and charged with treason, good thing there was no plank on the boat!...

Patch should have had to walk the plank for not knowing whose boat that was on Discovery Island.

Wow, great sleuthing Todd, that is the same sign, way cool!

Agreed!  Good job.  Still doesn't explain why they stuck the sign on the shipwreck.

On the pirate cruises I believe they tell a story about the Legend of Gasparilla....a real life Florida pirate story.  Gasparilla island and Useppa island are both near Fort Myers. 

Really?  I didn't know that.  Jose Gaspar is a big deal in Tampa and along the west coast of Florida.

Mrs. TCD and I spent a weekend on Useppa Island once.  That is an awesome place, which I recommend to anyone who wants a quiet place to get away.

But, no one should have desecrated that shipwreck.

Idiots!

TCD

On the pirate cruises I believe they tell a story about the Legend of Gasparilla....a real life Florida pirate story.  Gasparilla island and Useppa island are both near Fort Myers

Yes, they did talk about Gasparilla , I remember finding that funny because we live near Gasparilla Island and I wanted to go dig up the beach for buried treasure!..Arrrrrr :parrot:

Why didn't I notice you're from Venice?  That is close to Gasparilla Island.  Useppa too.

TCD

Yes, it makes it nice for a day trip! Sometimes we take the camper to Pine Island and rent a pontoon boat to go to Sanibel, or Gasparilla, we've never been to Useppa, but now I must go check it out!

Yes, it makes it nice for a day trip! Sometimes we take the camper to Pine Island and rent a pontoon boat to go to Sanibel, or Gasparilla, we've never been to Useppa, but now I must go check it out!

Useppa is private.  We stayed two nights at the Inn.  You can only get there by boat.  There is literally nothing to do on the island.  Which is fine by me.

It's near Cabbage Key, which we also visited on that trip.

TCD

Well, that was some good discussion, and I am glad that we figured out what that sign on the shipwreck says, even though it doesn't make any sense.

So, it's time to move on with the bonus content.

It's still the afternoon of Sunday, September 7, and we have just arrived at the Fort.  After my quick tour of the Settlement Trading Post, I decided that I would head to the Meadow Trading Post to see what was new there.  And maybe sit on a rocking chair for a while.

But first, I stopped to admire the Settlement Trading Post bulletin board. One thing I wanted to know is if there was going to be a MNSSP tonight. If so, I wanted to head over to the MK for a bit to watch the guests begin to arrive.

That information should be somewhere on the bulletin board, right?

Let's see.  Here's something:

9614069_zps88d4c1cf.jpg

Wow, something big happened at the Fort on July 5th.  Today was September 7th.  Thanks, Jose.

Ah, here's something more up-to-date, the Times Guide for August 31-September 6.  Too bad today's the 7th:

9614070_zpsf6c1bf57.jpg

Maybe that paper up there will help?  Nope, that's the Transportation Update for the WDW Marathon.  Which was on January 10th-11th:

9614071_zps831832ce.jpg

Yes, I said January.

Bottom line, nothing on that bulletin board told me what was going on in the parks today.

Classic.

In fairness, the September Activity Times Guide was posted:

9614073_zps59ffd26e.jpg

And, someone went to the trouble of fixing the typo which appeared on the original version, which is still posted here on ff.net:

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/activities/fort-wilderness-activities-schedule-september-r370

Fort-Wilderness-Activities-201409a.jpg

See where it says that 9/8 and 9/22 would be Fridays?

Someone actually fixed that.

A miracle.

I still didn't know if there was going to be a Halloween Party today.  Maybe I could get a current times guide at the concierge window?

So, we'll stop there on the way to the bus stop.

Look at those pretty purple flowers there next to the path to the 100 loop.  You winter Fiends don't get to see those:

9614074_zpsde100428.jpg

I see they still have a temporary sign posted by the pedestrian path.  It's only been 6 or 7 months since the regular sign got knocked down.  What's the rush?:

9614075_zpscb9df675.jpg

In the spring, the canal behind the 100 loop didn't look too bad.  Today it looks a little on the green side:

9614076_zpsa5fcb4ae.jpg

You see that emerald green stuff there just past the fence in the center of the photo?  That's water.  And that's the pole where the permanent sign is supposed to be:

9614077_zpscef6f0ea.jpg

Since I was here, I had to check on the progress of the repair of the roof of the covered wagon that is supposed to be on display out front of the Settlement Trading Post.  It's still there.  With the same tattered roof.  I guess they must need some kind of special fabric and needle and thread to fix that thing, and they're waiting for it to come in.  Again, what's the rush?:

9614079_zps4919d219.jpg

Hmmm. That sky is kind of dark, isn't it?:

9614080_zpsb93a6573.jpg

Through the trees, I can see it's even darker to the north, out over Bay Lake:

9614081_zps9e75457f.jpg

We might be in for a bit of rain.

Time to move along.

Whoa!  Look yonder.  What the heck is going on at Pioneer Hall?:

9614082_zpsbd91f23b.jpg

On the way, I glanced to my right, and didn't like what I saw.  A storm is a comin':

9614083_zpsfcac470e.jpg

Hey, look on that branch:

9614084_zpsee58140c.jpg

Look closer:

resfern_zps29d68bfd.jpg

Do you see all of those little ferns growing there?  That is called resurrection fern.  In between rains, it looks brown and dead.  Then, when it gets a bit of rain, it perks up and looks nice and green.  Cool stuff.  Check it out the next time you're at the Settlement.

Now, back to Pioneer Hall.  What the Fort?:

9614085_zps0b8348e4.jpg

A little closer.  I already reported earlier about how they rebuilt the lookout tower on the roof, and now, it's that squat, enclosed thing:

9614087_zpsa3f62e1a.jpg

Check this out.  There is exactly one golf cart in the parking area.  You winter Fiends have never seen that either:

9614088_zps09c99f4b.jpg

9614089_zps99e0601b.jpg

Now, about Pioneer Hall.

It's pretty obvious that the construction they've been doing all summer has now reached the porch.  They've got it completely enclosed with that scrim, and built what looks like a construction entrance here:

9614090_zpsb311a04c.jpg

Don't you love how those potted plants hide everything?:

9614091_zpsac9531b7.jpg

This is the other side, near the restrooms- there is no way in from here:

9614092_zpscb891c23.jpg

This is a quick peek behind the fence.  Can't see much, other than a bit of a mess.  But guests are definitely being brought in through here:

9614093_zps2c4bb317.jpg

Now, we're back on the other side- near the take-out entrance:

9614094_zps6d78553a.jpg

We can see from this orange extension cord that the men working here are trained and highly skilled professionals:

9614095_zpsd1956485.jpg

9614096_zps5fd5eec0.jpg

As best I can tell, this is much ado about noting.  I think they're just replacing the poles on the porch.  I hope for DIT's sake that they sand them well.

The wind was blowing those dark clouds my way.

Time to head for the bus:

9614097_zpsfa76b0f0.jpg

Looking back at Pioneer Hall, the latest construction work doesn't look too bad:

9614098_zps89d293ed.jpg

I'm not sure if you can make it out in this photo, but it looks like they used two different shades of shingles on the Pioneer Hall roof.  I've never noticed anything like that before:

9614100_zps0a3e739f.jpg

As I approached the bus stop, I saw a bus was waiting.  Hopefully it would be an Orange bus, which would take me right where I wanted to go.

TCD

Yes the Alligator Bayou has a trundle, but the youngest has to be 5 or under.  And again no option for if you have a 4th kid.  We have a camper (It's a jalopy but a camper none the less), I have tried to avoid posting this on the Fiends website, BUT....  My husband does not want to camp at Disney.  I know.  I know.  He is crazy.  He just doesn't want to drive it all the way down, have to set up and all that jazz.  I've already informed him that we probably won't have a choice in a few years.  I know he would love it when we got there, he's just hard to convince.   :)

We have 4 kids, ages range from elementary to HS. The cabins at FW seem to work the best for us; the kids sleep in the bedroom (queen size bed and a bunk bed) and we sleep on the murphy bed; it's enabled us to really enjoy the fort and we've become huge fans. Saves on meals too, as there's a kitchen, but we mostly use it for breakfast and the occasional lunch and dinner.

As best I can tell, this is much ado about noting.  I think they're just replacing the poles on the porch.  I hope for DIT's sake that they sand them well.

Hey!  I have an idea.  Let's play some Match Game! 

"Poor Dave.  Those idiot managers at the Fort replaced the poles on the front of Pioneer Hall but forgot to sand them.  When he shimmied up to the bacony he got a big splinter in his BLANK".  

generayburn.jpg

Great job!

I think you're right.

It does look like it's even the same sign:

LadyUseppa_zps36dfe12d.jpg

But, what idiot stuck that sign on the Walrus?

And why?

TCD

I wonder if they're landing the kid's pirate cruise there? How big is the sandy area? I know from Z that they went to several places, including islands. Maybe they're going there now for a clue? 

The Fort is so much more relaxing to us. What about a cabin? Or renting?