Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

From what I've been able to find, that jester statue is modeled after, and maybe even a copy of, a statue that is on display in New Orleans.  I haven't found anything explaining the evil pear.  I really would like to know about it.  I thought maybe WBI would know.

TCD

Sorry all I know about that statue is it's modeled after the one at the Canal Street Ferry, no clue why there's an evil pear thing with a face on it?

New Orleans is kind of a world all it's own, I'd say most of Louisiana is completely different than N.O.  I'm over in southwest Louisiana, our Mardi Gras festivities are pretty awesome but very different than New Orleans.

It just so happens that I'll be in New Orleans Sept. 12th so I can check out the statue then and see what I can figure out.

I'll let you know.

WBI

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

You didn't want to get some beignets right there at the food court? 

I know people have complained about them but I've had them all over and I think they are just as good as anywhere.

Nice morning shots, you're reminding me how much we really liked all of the Port Orleans property, all the great details, lush landscaping, lots of nice paths, boat transportation, plus lots of food options when you consider both resorts, oh and don't forget both resorts have good nightly entertainment.  To me either resort would be my top pick for a Moderate! 

By the way didn't they just recently update all the rooms to have larger beds?

WBI

That resort looks pretty. I can't decide if you're going to Trails End or DHS next...

It just so happens that I'll be in New Orleans Sept. 12th so I can check out the statue then and see what I can figure out.

I'll let you know.

WBI

You are a good Fiend.

Why did you hate POR?  I have always enjoyed staying there.  But, I think overall, I now like POFQ better.

The room didn't have adequate lighting.  We were getting ready for a wedding but could barely see to dress.  

Because it was so dim, the room felt dirty.

We didn't like the decor.

The pool near us was the size of a large hot tub.

The outdoor lighting at night was woefully inadequate.  We had to feel our way through the vegetation to find our room.

The only good thing about the room was that Disney honored our request to be near the parking area.

We were both miserable in the room.  David visited the Fort, but I refused to go with him because I knew how homesick I would be.

No, I've never stayed at POR, but I'm not a fan of multiple internal bus stops, and based on that alone, have never even considered it. Have only stayed at Coronado once on a last minute solo trip for 2 nights.

Yes, I know the Fort has lots of internal stops, but avoid those with the cart, scooter, or bicycle.

But having said all that, the first time I walked in the door of POFQ, I fell in love. The fountain, the glass dome entryway, all the little details, and even the outside atmosphere. Just LOVE it.  If they would only bring back Bonfamille's, would love it even more!

Good point.  I don't like the multiple internal bus stops either.  For some reason, they haven't been a big problem for me at POR.  FYI, I am not sure that you will avoid the multiple bus stops if you stay at POFQ. It seems like some of the buses leave POFQ, and then circle around POR and stop at all of those bus stops before heading out. That was our experience on the DHS bus, but not the MK or AK buses.  

I never got to see Bonfamilie's.   I can't even picture where it might have been.  I figure it must have been in the area of that bar to the left as your first enter the greenhouse-like area of the lobby.  But, that space seems to small for a sit-down restaurant.  They must have reconfigured things.

Sorry all I know about that statue is it's modeled after the one at the Canal Street Ferry, no clue why there's an evil pear thing with a face on it?

New Orleans is kind of a world all it's own, I'd say most of Louisiana is completely different than N.O.  I'm over in southwest Louisiana, our Mardi Gras festivities are pretty awesome but very different than New Orleans.

I'll let you know.

WBI

That would be awesome if you can figure out the mystery of the evil pear.

You didn't want to get some beignets right there at the food court? 

I know people have complained about them but I've had them all over and I think they are just as good as anywhere.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Who said I didn't get beignets?

Nice morning shots, you're reminding me how much we really liked all of the Port Orleans property, all the great details, lush landscaping, lots of nice paths, boat transportation, plus lots of food options when you consider both resorts, oh and don't forget both resorts have good nightly entertainment.  To me either resort would be my top pick for a Moderate! 

By the way didn't they just recently update all the rooms to have larger beds?

I agree with you about either POR or POFQ being a top pick for a moderate. I wish we had time to visit Downtown Disney on this trip- that would have been fun to go via the boat.

Since I hadn't been there before, I can't tell you if the beds are bigger or not. Now that you mention it, I think they were queen sized. I can't tell you if they were comfortable or not, since when all the girls are with me, I break out my air mattress and sleep on the floor.

That resort looks pretty. I can't decide if you're going to Trails End or DHS next...

Those are both good guesses, and both places have great breakfast sandwiches. You'll find out if you're right in the next update.

You are a good Fiend.

Agreed.

Nick is awesome. And the thing is, I know he is really going to check on the Evil Pear when he goes to N.O. People there are going to think he's nuts. And that's saying something in Nawlins.

The room didn't have adequate lighting.  We were getting ready for a wedding but could barely see to dress.  

Because it was so dim, the room felt dirty.

We didn't like the decor.

The pool near us was the size of a large hot tub.

The outdoor lighting at night was woefully inadequate.  We had to feel our way through the vegetation to find our room.

The only good thing about the room was that Disney honored our request to be near the parking area.

We were both miserable in the room.  David visited the Fort, but I refused to go with him because I knew how homesick I would be.

Wow. Those are all very valid complaints. You must have had a room in one of the Alligator Bayou buildings far from the action. I know that they have recently renovated all the rooms in that section, so they're all new looking now. We stayed in an Alligator Bayou room in May of this year, and it wasn't dim or dirty looking at all.

I have never been on the Sasafrassa River.....or whatever its called. Should I take the river tour?

You better not be going to the Satanic Cartel for your morning sandwich.

The river tour would be a fun thing to do on a non-park day.

Satanic Cartel? Who, me? You know that I stand in solidarity with my fellow Fiends in the boycott of that establishment. Well, most of the time anyway. Especially when I'm not at WDW.

But, no, I didn't go there.

TCD

It's still early in the morning at Port Orleans French Quarter.

I have a few more photos from my early morning walkabout, then we will be leaving for a little excursion to another resort.

The early morning texter finally finished her text and moved out of the pathway to the pool:

8214166_zps3f4ed15a.jpg

If you love Gator statues, then this is your place:

8214167_zpsf691303c.jpg

Here are those arches that lead to the hot tub again:

8214168_zps2effd7f3.jpg

What?  Another Gator? GDF would hate this place:

8214169_zps0da75c7a.jpg

Look- they have an impenetrable chain blocking access to the pool until it opens- and there's the Jester/Evil Pear again:

8214170_zps436d09ca.jpg

There's a large seating area here next to the pool.  The only problem is that this is a bit of walk from the food court area:

8214171_zps2a576849.jpg

The bar is nice:

8214172_zps6fbd3243.jpg

I'd be willing to bet that the guy who came up with Rue D'Baga had something to do with naming the bar too:

8214174_zpsd6042f55.jpg

You can see the whole serpent from the bar- the tail is closest to us, and there's the head/slide, there toward the left in the background:

8214173_zpsbea0ecfb.jpg

There's the jester stomping on the evil pear again.  You know, maybe that pear isn't evil after all.  Maybe he just doesn't want that jester standing on him:

8214175_zps559aedab.jpg

This is the view turned the other way from the pool entry area- you can see here how the gators are marching toward the lobby:

8214176_zps647c7810.jpg

There's even a nice gator statue playing the saxophone next to the kiddie pool.  That's our building- building 2 you see there in the background:

8214177_zps3778cb3e.jpg

Speaking of kiddies, they have scheduled activities here at the resort for the kids, and even have outdoor movies just like at the Fort:

8214197_zpsaa3c2d58.jpg

Here's a map they have posted here showing both resorts.  POFQ is on the bottom, and POR up top.  You can see how much smaller and more compact the French Quarter is:

8214178_zpsdf4997da.jpg

Here's the French Quarter part of the map- you can see where building 2 is, and how there is only one bus stop for the whole resort:

8214179_zpsb23aafdf.jpg

This is the Riverside part of the map.  It shows the 4 bus stops, and how the main pool is situated on an island in the middle of the resort.  No one there is going to have a room as close to the pool, lobby and transportation as we have here:

8214180_zps0377cb8c.jpg

I headed out to my car after taking that last photo, and drove over to the Fort. That took maybe 5 minutes.  They had the signs up saying no one could park there without a restaurant reservation, but the fake cop-in-the-box looked at my POFQ parking pass, and scanned my MB, and told me I could park wherever I liked.  I don't know why they had those signs up-there was plenty of space in the parking lot.

It was 7:26 as I headed toward the Outpost bus stop.  I guess I was going to be a little late for rope drop at Trail's End, as there were no buses waiting to take me there.  In actuality, if I had just been a minute or two earlier, I would have caught the bus, as one had just left as I was walking up:

8214181_zps92f677ed.jpg

You know how I said people don't get up very early at the Fort?  Here it was 7:30, and there was just one cart in the entire cart lot:

8214182_zpsf2ce3501.jpg

I don't even think I had a chance to sit before a Settlement Orange bus pulled up.  That would be the last bus I would have chosen to take if I had a choice, but it was here, and the others weren't, so I hopped on.  I was the only passenger.

We zoomed through the cabin loops, and no one was waiting at any of the bus stops, then we headed down Fort Wilderness Trail, past the first two bus stops there.  Maybe I would make it all the way to the Settlement with the bus to myself?

Nope.

At the 800 bus stop, a big family got on.  With two strollers.  That no one knew how to fold.  But, they eventually figured it out, and we proceeded on.  Good.  No more bus stops.

When we got to the exit of the 600 loop, there was a family there in matching Incredibles t-shirts waving and trying to get the bus to stop.  The bus driver shook his head no, and kept driving. 

This is not something I've seen before.  But I'll bet the bus drivers do.  People think they can just wave down a bus?  Uh, how dangerous is that?

We got to the Settlement, and I had to wait as the big family slowly waddled off the bus, and tried to get their strollers unfolded while simultaneously blocking the bus exit.  They were good.

I was almost off the bus when the loudest of the moms in the group stopped by the bus driver to ask him if he would be so kind as to direct them to the Hollywood Studios bus.

That's right.

This gang had stopped the Settlement bus, and loaded on, and were almost off of it, before they realized that they needed to be at the Outpost.

A bunch of geniuses.

The bus driver beckoned them all to get back on the bus for another scenic ride through the campground.

I don't know how those bus drivers can keep straight faces.

Even with all of that, it was only 7:40 as I stopped to take this photo of the future River Country DVC parking lot:

8214183_zps7f3265ce.jpg

I had just been here a couple of weeks earlier to let lklasing watch me and Twin #1 eat a GAG on the Trail's End porch.  At that time, the lookout tower on the top of Pioneer Hall had been removed.  I figured that they were going to replace it.

But, this is what I saw today:

8214185_zps339792bd.jpg

I posted photos of this on another thread a couple of weeks ago, but in case you missed that, this is what the lookout tower used to look like:

6814290_zps86e596ca.jpg

I don't like the new look.

But, it does look like there's a new roof, and that they painted the shutters with a nice two-toned color scheme:

8214187_zpsd403f797.jpg

They have some pretty elaborate scaffolding here.  Every time I've seen it, I've been tempted to walk up it and see the view from up there.  But, I figured it would be kind of hard to say that I walked up there by mistake in the likely event that I got caught.  So, I haven't.  It's probably going to be gone soon, if it's not already, so I won't have to worry about that temptation for too much longer:

8214188_zps2be37e84.jpg

OK, so here's the Trail's End Take-Out Breakfast menu, as posted on August 3, 2014:

8214194_zps831d3578.jpg

Not much to choose from.

But, that's the menu for the general public.

Those in the know, of which I am one, know that there's a secret menu.

I was pleased to see that a young man I recognized was at the register.  I gave him the secret password, and he hit the appropriate key on the register, and my secret menu item was ordered.

William gave me my beeper, and I went to see if I could find a table on the porch.

That was a joke- remember no one gets up early at the Fort- there were plenty of tables and rocking chairs:

8214189_zpsb7cd3d5d.jpg

And no one was at any of the picnic tables:

8214190_zpscf59e842.jpg

As always, the configuration of high-top tables and rocking chairs was different on this trip than it had been the last time we were here.  They can't seem to figure out what they want to do with the seating here on the porch.  I don't really care, as long as they don't get rid of the picnic tables.

In no time at all, my beeper went off, and William presented me with my receipt and sandwich:

8214191_zps20eee862.jpg

8214195_zps0d0dd800.jpg

You see?  They still have a button on the machine that CM's can push to order the sandwich. 

Bragging rights go to GDF and DIT for correctly guessing where I was going to get breakfast today.

By Disney standards, that sandwich is a great deal.

It was delicious, as always, and you can't beat the view:

8214196_zpsf4235a95.jpg

No big surprise, but the River Country Wagon is still MIA.  The fenced in area where it belongs is still there, though.

Back in July, I posted some photos of the crepe myrtles that stand right off the porch, and pointed out that they weren't blooming as much this year.  In case you're wondering, they're not late bloomers:

8214192_zps3d8802c5.jpg

After breakfast, I needed to get back to POFQ to wake the girls and get them going.

So, it was back to the Settlement Bus Stop.

As I walked up, a Settlement Yellow bus was pulling up, and the driver switched the marquee over to Wilderness Lodge.  That wouldn't work for me, so I grabbed a seat.

A large family proceeded to exit that bus, and then one of them asked the driver where they could get the bus to Animal Kingdom.  Here we go again.  Only this time, the driver told them they would need to wait for an Orange or Purple bus, as he was on his way to the Lodge (even though his bus was empty).  The bus pulled away, and then I got to witness a very entertaining discussion/argument among that family as they all stood in front of the big map to try to understand the complexities of the Fort Wilderness transportation system.  Not a one of them could understand the map.  What I learned is that they were staying on the 1800 loop, and that they had breakfast reservations at Animal Kingdom.  They had dragged their butts to the 1600 loop bus stop and then got on the wrong bus.  After studying the map, the head genius in their group arrived at the conclusion that where they went wrong is that the Yellow bus does not go to the Outpost. I was really hoping that the Yellow bus would get back from the Lodge before an Orange or Purple bus came, but the Orange bus pulled up, and I got to ride to the front with these folks.  When we stopped to pick up more guests along the way, they all complained that they were going to miss their breakfast reservation.  These people had dumb luck though, because there was an Animal Kingdom bus waiting for them when we pulled up to the Outpost bus stop, and they hopped on.  They weren't going to miss their breakfast reservation.  I wish I could have been at the 1600 loop bus stop the next time they needed a bus to the Outpost, and seen them wait for an Orange or Purple bus there.

So, my quick trip to the Fort was fun.

Now, I needed to go back and get the girls going.  We were going to hit a couple of parks today before heading home.

TCD

Note to self... NEVER stay at POFQ. That resort looks disgusting. Actually, it might be funny to visit with Z since he makes funny/gross faces every time he sees something Gator related.

That sandwich looks good. Does it fall apart as you eat it though? I've always thought sandwiches on bagels would.

These people had dumb luck though, because there was an Animal Kingdom bus waiting for them when we pulled up to the Outpost bus stop, and they hopped on.  They weren't going to miss their breakfast reservation. 

That's not dumb luck.  That's your transportation pixie dust rubbing off on them. 

I am always amazed at how short your transportation times are around WDW.  We are the opposite.  We always seem to just miss the bus, the boat, the tram, whatever.  It goes along with me always getting in the slowest checkout line at the supermarket.

Note to self... NEVER stay at POFQ. That resort looks disgusting. Actually, it might be funny to visit with Z since he makes funny/gross faces every time he sees something Gator related.

That sandwich looks good. Does it fall apart as you eat it though? I've always thought sandwiches on bagels would.

Ah, come on, those gators aren't that bad.  And, why are you raising that poor child with so much hate in his heart for such beautiful creatures?

The sandwich is good, and I don't recall it falling apart. The bagels they use are kind of soft- more like a roll than a typical bagel.

That's not dumb luck.  That's your transportation pixie dust rubbing off on them. 

I am always amazed at how short your transportation times are around WDW.  We are the opposite.  We always seem to just miss the bus, the boat, the tram, whatever.  It goes along with me always getting in the slowest checkout line at the supermarket.

That's true- that's the kind of transportation pixie dust we usually get.

If it makes you feel any better, I get zero pixie dust for grocery store lines.

And, I'm the worst at the quick serve places at WDW.  In the parks, even if I pick the shortest line, something happens that always makes it the longest.  At the quick serve places in the resorts, if there are multiple check-out lanes, I always, always, always, get stuck behind some ding-dong who doesn't know if he's on the dining plan or has some other issue.  It's not even funny.

But for some reason, we do get the transportation pixie dust.  So, I'll take it.

TCD

That TE sammich looks yummy.

I've got to remember that secret button next time we are there. Do they only offer it with BACON or can you get it with sausage or ham?

I love bagel sammiches. McDonald's use to have the best breakfast sammich ever.

Steak egg and chz bagel with sautéed onions.

That TE sammich looks yummy.

I've got to remember that secret button next time we are there. Do they only offer it with BACON or can you get it with sausage or ham?

I love bagel sammiches. McDonald's use to have the best breakfast sammich ever.

Steak egg and chz bagel with sautéed onions.

Yes, you can get sausage if you wish.  But why would you want to do that?  Bacon > Sausage.  For research purposes, I did try the sausage once.  It was one big link sausage, split in half.  Not a sausage patty. 

I think the ham is a no-go, but it's a secret menu, so who knows.

I never tried that steak and egg bagel from McDonalds.  I'm not sure they ever had those around here.

I've got to remember that secret button too.

Feel free. But, remember- it's a secret.

We used the secret button.  I ate the stuff and the kids had the bagel with cream cheese.

Now, that's using the old noggin.

Where did you get cream cheese?  Did they have it there?

TCD

Well, we made it to page 18.

I guess that's enough.

Which is good, because these are the last bonus photos from our one night visit in early August.

I am going to end this TR with these.

In case you didn't know, though, we were back at WDW just two weeks later for me to move Twin #1 in to her Disney College Program apartments.  Photos and somewhat witty comments are still being added to that very long TR, which you can find here:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12774-a-shining-new-era-is-tiptoeing-nearer-for-the-tcd-gang/

I have been behind on my TR writing since May, and I am about to get caught up with real time.

So, back to this early August trip.

We left off with the early morning visit to the Fort.

From there, I headed back to POFQ, where everyone was still asleep.  I got them going.  Twin #2 had to leave for work, and had no time for breakfast.

The other 2/3's of the TCD girls wanted to get something to eat.

So we did.

At the POFQ food court.

They have all the breakfast selections you might expect, including Mickey waffles, which is what the girls went for.

I didn't want them to feel bad eating in front of me, so I got an order of three beignets to share.  I think I've mentioned that I've been to Nawlins several times.  But, I've never had the beignets there.  For some reason, I never feel like eating breakfast there. I always seem to have a really bad headache and fell nauseous when I wake up in Nawlins.  There must be something in the water.

I have noting to compare them to, but the beignets were fine.  They are in the family of a funnel cake or powdered donut.  Fried dough with powdered sugar.  What's not to like. 

As we finished up breakfast, we were joined by my oldest daughter's BFF, who goes to school in Orlando.  If you've read prior TCD TR's you'll recognize her in the photos below.  She has a busy schedule with work and school, but had a few hours she could spend with us today.

Our first stop was DHS to see Twin #2.  We found her hard at work at Oaken's Trading Post.  She's the last CM you see in this line of them- with the hat on:

oakens_zpsab306e1d.jpg

She later rotated in to the ice skating area, and we found her there too:

MickeysofHollywood_zpsea190f8b.jpeg

My oldest DD hadn't seen the ice skating show yet, so we decided to wait for that.  We had some time to kill, so I gave the girls the three FP+'s we got the night before at TOT, and they used those to go next door and ride Toy Story.  I stayed in the nice, cool play area and watched the skaters.  That was fun again. My favorite this time was a very large teenager who was determined to skate, even though he kept falling down hard.  His dad was near me videoing the mayhem, and cracking up.  Since the dad was laughing at the kid, I figured it was OK for me to laugh too.  And I did.  It's a wonder that kid didn't break an arm or a hip, as hard as he kept falling.  I wish I knew where to get a copy of that video.

The girls came back in time for us to watch the skaters, and we enjoyed that little show again:

iceskaters2_zps2fa69ddd.jpg

Us going to DHS wasn't in the original plan for today, but it was fun for all the girls to see each other.

I had lined up FP+'s using all of our MB"s for the MK that afternoon.  Through a lot of effort, I was able to snag 4 separate Mine Train FP+'s, but there was only once that two of the times overlapped so two could ride together.  The other two would be for single riders.  It was going to be a little complicated.

Twin #1 decided that she wanted to head back to school to work on a paper that was due, so she left us after DHS.

My oldest daughter, her BFF, and I traveled to the MK via the Disney bus.  No problem there.

I let them use the two Mine Train FP+'s that overlapped, and I waited in a shady spot nearby, but I was sweating like crazy.  It was a super hot day.

We next had Space Mountain FP+'s, so we headed there.  My oldest daughter stole one of my signature moves and looked the other way for the ride photo:

8214200_zpsdc3f9132.jpg

After Space Mountain, it was going to be a while before our next FP+ time.

And, we were melting.

It was time for lunch.

But where?

After we kicked that around, we agreed it was too hot and crowded, and it would be nicer to just head back to the resort and eat there.

So we did.

At the resort food court, they had a whole station dedicated to Po Boy sandwiches.  These are them:

8214203_zpsb7cb9839.jpg

Those all looked really good.

There was a sign here with information about the history of Po Boys.  I thought I would just take a photo and read it later, but that didn't work out so well:

8214202_zps05d8ab81.jpg

I was interested in the beef Po Boy, which is the one with fries on top of it.  I asked the CM there what kind of seasoning it had on it, and he didn't know.  He was a College Program kid.  Sorry to say, but some of these kids clearly are not in to the whole Disney thing, and this kid was one of them.  I have a hard time understanding how you wouldn't learn about the items you serve at the place you work.  As much as I wanted to try the beef, I didn't want it if it had a bunch of bbq sauce on it, so I went with the shrimp, which is my second favorite kind of Po Boy after oyster Po Boys.  They didn't have oysters here.  The girls each got buffalo chicken Po Boys.

Here's my sandwich:

8214204_zps2039d061.jpg

As you can see, they're huge.  And, they're really good. The rolls were fresh, and the sandwiches are made to order, so they were fresh too.

Oh, and here's something I haven't mentioned yet.  Remember that jester statue by the pool?  You know, the one with the evil pear?  There's another one right here in the restaurant:

8214206_zpseb040c4d.jpg

He looks almost identical to the one out by the pool, but this guy's evil pear is red:

8214205_zpsea21de1b.jpg

I'm telling you that pear is trouble.

To make it easier to compare, this is the one by the pool:

8214175_zps559aedab.jpg

Nobody asked me for my opinion, but I think one jester statue was more than enough for this resort.

And, I really want to know what the deal is with the evil pear!

After lunch, my daughter's BFF decided it would be a good time for her to head back to her place to get ready for work.

My oldest DD and I hung around for a while, thinking that maybe we would have Twin #2 take us to the CM store after she got off of work, but we ultimately decided to not wait and to head back home.

So we did.

That's all the bonus content I have.

So that means this TR is done.

Thanks for reading.

TCD

You may be surprised to hear this, but I have a Po Boy story to tell. 

Back in the summer of 2005 I was traveling to remote south Louisiana attempting to underwrite a loan to a small hospital there.  The hospital was in a small town called Cameron, which is on the gulf coast due south of Lake Charles.  (WBI probably knows where I'm talking).  Cameron existed, as best as I could tell, for two reasons....oil and shrimp.  The town serviced both some offshore rigs as well as being near the outlet of the waterway up to Lake Charles, and there were lots of shrimp boats that would go out from there. 

Anyways, there wasn't much in town, but out past the hospital was a small concrete block grocery which had picnic tables inside for serving lunch.  They did the standard meat and three plate lunches, but they also made fresh shrimp po boys.  And I mean fresh.  The shrimp were literally coming directly off a boat to the restaurant...and they baked their own french bread. 

I've never in my life before or since had po boys like those.  I dream about them to this day. 

As a side note to the story.....despite trying hard I wasn't able to justify the loan so I killed the deal.  There simply wasn't enough volume at the hospital once you removed the occasional lucrative but sporadic business coming from the rigs.  And it's a good thing I killed it, because a couple of months later Hurricane Rita came ashore in Cameron destroying the town....and all that was left of the hospital was the concrete slab it stood on.  (Sadly, the same is true of that little grocery). 

So there you go....more than you ever wanted to know about Po Boys in Cameron, LA. 

You may be surprised to hear this, but I have a Po Boy story to tell. 

Back in the summer of 2005 I was traveling to remote south Louisiana attempting to underwrite a loan to a small hospital there.  The hospital was in a small town called Cameron, which is on the gulf coast due south of Lake Charles.  (WBI probably knows where I'm talking).  Cameron existed, as best as I could tell, for two reasons....oil and shrimp.  The town serviced both some offshore rigs as well as being near the outlet of the waterway up to Lake Charles, and there were lots of shrimp boats that would go out from there. 

Anyways, there wasn't much in town, but out past the hospital was a small concrete block grocery which had picnic tables inside for serving lunch.  They did the standard meat and three plate lunches, but they also made fresh shrimp po boys.  And I mean fresh.  The shrimp were literally coming directly off a boat to the restaurant...and they baked their own french bread. 

I've never in my life before or since had po boys like those.  I dream about them to this day. 

As a side note to the story.....despite trying hard I wasn't able to justify the loan so I killed the deal.  There simply wasn't enough volume at the hospital once you removed the occasional lucrative but sporadic business coming from the rigs.  And it's a good thing I killed it, because a couple of months later Hurricane Rita came ashore in Cameron destroying the town....and all that was left of the hospital was the concrete slab it stood on.  (Sadly, the same is true of that little grocery). 

So there you go....more than you ever wanted to know about Po Boys in Cameron, LA. 

What a beautiful story.

But that ending is really sad.

That gas station/restaurant sounds like my kind of place.

Tampa is famous for Cuban Sandwiches, and there are a number of places that look like dives that serve fantastic Cuban Sandwiches.  That place in Cameron sounds like one of those places.

Whenever I visit New Orleans, I always get an oyster Po Boy at Acme Oyster House.  That's the first place I ever had one, and I've never found a place that serves a better one.

TCD

Whenever I visit New Orleans, I always get an oyster Po Boy at Acme Oyster House.  That's the first place I ever had one, and I've never found a place that serves a better one.

New Orleans certainly has good food....but I've found the best food for me is in the area around Lafayette and then west toward Lake Charles.  Especially areas like Rayne and Breaux Bridge.  I've hurt myself eating in those places.  Coincidentally....one of my borrowers is filing bk soon in the Western District of Louisiana.  Hopefully I'll be deposed.  :)   

New Orleans certainly has good food....but I've found the best food for me is in the area around Lafayette and then west toward Lake Charles.  Especially areas like Rayne and Breaux Bridge.  I've hurt myself eating in those places.  Coincidentally....one of my borrowers is filing bk soon in the Western District of Louisiana.  Hopefully I'll be deposed.  :)   

I have never been anyplace in Louisiana other than New Orleans.  When I've gone, I've flown in and taken a cab right to the same hotel a block off Bourbon Street, and then have not gone anywhere further than where I could walk.

Before she choose Auburn, my oldest daughter was considering LSU for grad school.  She visited Baton Rouge a couple of times, and really liked it.  Twin #1 has already informed me that she will be attending the UF v. LSU game next year.  She may or may not allow me to tag along.

You are a guy after my own heart- you're happy to get grilled by a bunch of sharks as long as you get a Po Boy out of the deal?

TCD

Thanks for another enjoyable trip report.

We went to NO in 2007 for our anniversary.  The end of the week there it was the French Quarter Festival.  Food booths and free outdoor music venues (about 8-10) all thru the district.  It was great.  We never did try a po boy, though.  Next time.

POFQ would be next on our list of mods to stay at.  We enjoyed PO Dixie Landings when we stayed there.  We took my mom, so the trundle bed was great for one of the kids.  At CSR there were just the 4 of us, but DS, then 13, slept on an air mattress on the floor.  We had a pool view room there, an upgrade since we had booked parking lot view.  We liked that resort, too.