Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

The hamster was too big.  Gantu is supposed to be much larger.

So, do you know about this hamster?  I didn't recall a thing about that character.  The girls told me that he was from the Stitch TV show, and not the movie.  Is that right? 

When was this TV show?  Does anyone know anything about this character?

It seems like an odd choice considering the many other villains they could have brought in instead.

To answer your question, I thought i read here before that Disney cannot use marvel characters in parks east of the Mississippi River, because of Universal.

Oh.  I didn't know what the rule was on that.

Stay tuned, as the next update is going to show you that there must be some exceptions to that rule.

Br'er Fox most certainly counts as a villain. One of the greatest Disney villains EVER.

Br'er Bear? Meh. Not so much.

Yeah, I guess Br'er Fox is bad.  But Br'er Bear is pretty harmless.  Still, I guess he's as much a villain as some of the others they had here tonight.

TCD

Continuing on with the Villains Unleashed night, we snuck away from the opening show to make it to the Oogie Boogie show.

Our plan was to get as much of the different stuff done as we could, and that meant we needed to get into the 8:30 show.  The 9:30 show wouldn't work, because then we would miss the special  Fantasmic pre-show.  And, the later shows would conflict with the time that we were going to set aside to meet some of the rare characters, so we needed to make the 8:30 show.

We made it just in time. The theater was almost full, and I'll bet anyone who stayed for the end of the opening show wouldn't have made it in.

So what is this show?

None of us knew for sure.

But it was something new and different, so we wanted to see it.

The full name of the show was the "Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show."  The description on the guide map said this "Experience a thrilling series of extreme performances hosted by the original 'Master of Scare-omonies,' Oogie Boogie."

That's all we knew.

Twin #2 told me that she saw a parent advisory sign on the way in warning that some scenes may not be appropriate for children.  I didn't see that sign, and there was no warning like that on the map.

When we walked in to the theater, a magician-type was doing a pre-show.  I didn't get a photo of it, but he was making some very elaborate balloon animals and passing them out to the kids.

Then, he called for an adult volunteer from the audience.  Of course, the kids volunteered me, but he picked some other guy, who seemed to be dressed a little too perfectly for a regular guy attending this party- that's the volunteer in the white shirt up there on stage:

82314096_zps001c2a10.jpg

The magician was actually very funny and entertaining, and he set up an elaborate card trick.  He asked the volunteer to pick a card, and then put it back in the deck.  Then he started to inflate a giant balloon with a leaf blower:

82314098_zpseeb89f58.jpg

This show became unintentionally funnier, because the leaf blower died on the guy, and he had to ad lib while they brought out a new one from backstage.  I wasn't sure if this was part of the act, but there's a video of the show posted on-line, and he had no problem with the leaf blower in that later show.

Anyway, the blower problem got worked out, and then the magician shoved the deck of cards into the balloon.  Then, he put his head in the balloon, and then his whole body.  Then, he popped his head out of the balloon opening:

82314101_zps574500de.jpg

You had to be there, but all of this was really funny.

Of course, he picked the right card, and was acting like he had one more trick, when Oogie Boogie came on stage and asked him what the heck he was doing here?  The magician acted scared and said he was out of here, leaving the volunteer behind to deal with Oogie Boogie:

82314104_zpsd93f826c.jpg

Oogie Boogie confronts the volunteer, and then we find out what we had suspected all along- this volunteer is actually part of the show.  The guy they cast to be the volunteer had to be the worst actor I've ever seen.  He was not convincing at all. That's too bad, because someone with just a bit of acting skills would have made this role a lot funnier.

Some dancers come out, and Oogie Boogie sends the fake volunteer off with them.

Then, the first act comes out, and we see where the Freaky in the name of this show comes from.  This guy is a sword swallower.  He looks like a really skinny Mick Jagger zombie.  He swallowed a bunch of swords, some of which came out dripping with saliva, which he flung across the stage.  Nice:

82314112_zps744065b0.jpg

Then there's some more dancing, and a second act comes out.  These people shoot things with crossbows:

82314115_zpsbc0c91d7.jpg

They did the old over-the-shoulder look in a mirror trick:

82314116_zpse77ede92.jpg

And the shoot the apple on the scantily clad assistant's head trick:

82314119_zpsb562e572.jpg

So this was different.

Like being at a live performance of America's Got Talent.

But, without judges to save the audience from being subjected to bad acts.

Up came the third act.

Fire Eaters.

Of course:

82314123_zps0998867a.jpg

The big finish for the fire eaters was a flaming hula-hoop while the scantily clad assistant held various other flaming objects:

82314135_zps884cdfd3.jpg

That might have been a notch better than an average street performer.

Maybe.

Then, to tie things up, Oogie Boogie comes out along with all of the Freaky performers, and even the volunteer who is now a zombie or something like that:

82314136_zpsbf5a2797.jpg

82314141_zpsa78733a5.jpg

Hmmm.

That was interesting.

I liked it more than I hated it.

It was entertaining.

And the special effects were good.

So, I was OK with it.

Now it was 9:02, and it would take us a few minutes to get out of the theater.

The next thing we wanted to do was head in to Fantasmic.  Fantasmic wasn't until 10 pm.

But, our guide map told us to "arrive by 9:35 pm for a special pre-show with the Night Crawlers, a gang of henchmen from the "Houses" of Disney's most wicked villains . . ."

That sounded interesting.

We had to go.

We found our seats at around 9:15.  Good ones too. 

I was interested to see how many folks would show up for this show.  We had just been here the week before, and the whole theater filled up.  They told us then that this theater seated 4000.  Since this was a hard ticket party, I didn't expect as large a crowd tonight.  But, I was wrong.  The theater was going to be full.

Hey-look at the guy completely painted behind us.  Did I mention how hot and humid it was?  He wasn't having a magical night:

82314142_zps518d0a6c.jpg

As we waited for the special preshow, Twin #2 and her friend went to visit one of their CM friends whom they saw working crowd control.  They came back with news that this special pre-show was not going to be all that special.  It was just going to be the normal group of CM's who come out with mics before the show and do trivia and have the crowd do the wave, and all of that.  I didn't believe that- I said look at the map- their friend must be mistaken.  Twin #2 and her friend said that we should leave.  By that time, it was almost 9:30.  I said let's wait and see.  If it turned out to be what they had been told, we would leave.

9:35 arrives, and the "gang" of henchmen arrive.  I guess three can be a gang, right?  Because that's how many henchmen there were.  Well, actually, there were two henchmen and one henchwoman.  The gang starts up with their shtick, and Twin #1 and I turned to each other and agreed that this trio was the exact same group of three that had done the pre-show for Fantasmic when we came here last week.  The same exact CM's.  Except they had costumes on.  And new, creepy, names.  They started in on the same spiel as any other Fantasmic night- "my half of the audience is louder than your half," etc.  The they want us to "make some noise," and so on.  The only thing special about this pre-show is that they slapped some costumes on the regular pre-show CM's.  We stayed for a few more minutes just to make sure that we weren't about to miss something great, and then we got up and walked out.  To heck with that. 

So, there's my first complaint of the night.  The description on the map was very misleading. And shame on Disney for that.  How hard would it have been to have a few of the costumed villains come out and do something new and interesting?

Cheapskates.

People didn't pay $70 to come in and see the same Fanstasmic show they can see any other night of the year.

And here's something else that stuck in my craw.  When we came in, they were setting up for some kind of private party there in the back.  On the way out,  we saw guests in there eating and drinking.  Who are these people, and how did they get to do this?  This wasn't something advertised as being available to regular guests:

82314143_zpsd026ed23.jpg

As you may know, it's a good walk to get into, and in this case, out of, the Fantasmic theater.

They had us exit by the gate hidden next to Tower of Terror, and we walked past the TOT entrance on the way back in to the park.  The posted wait time was 10 minutes, but there we no one that we could see in the queue, and the CM's there at the entrance were just goofing around with nothing to do. 

We considered hopping on to TOT for a ride, but decided against it.  We wanted to eat first, and Fairfax Fare, where they had the special hot dogs, was right there.

Of course there was a line, but there were interesting people in it to entertain us while we waited:

82314145_zpsb1fb9aa0.jpg

Guess what?

Those special hot dogs were only special because they branded the image of a villain on to the bun.  Otherwise, it was the same three $9 or $10 "gourmet" hot dogs that they sell every night of the year.

Again, are you serious Disney?

That's the best you could do?

Cheapskates.

I'm sure you're dying to see what a $10 hot dog in a Hades bun looks like.  So, here you go:

82314147_zpsecdaa334.jpg

One of the girls got Maleficent.  It was random.  She wanted Hades too:

82314151_zps400c25a8.jpg

So we ate our hot dogs.

And discussed what to do next.

Twin #1 saw a photo on some social media site she follows which showed guests with characters from Guardians of the Galaxy.

We had to see that.

So, that was our next destination- the Guardians of the Galaxy dance party.

We scratched the TOT ride.

It was 10 pm.

We 2 1/2 hours left now.

That Fantasmic fiasco and the "gourmet" hot dogs had used up an hour of our party time. 

Not cool.

On the way there, we saw a film crew taping a family having fun at the party.  They must have hired some good actors for that:

82314152_zps68cd37cd.jpg

Hey, here's something we had never seen before- a magic mirror at the gift shop where they sell the Glow with the Show ears.  You stand in front of it, and it puts Glow with the Show ears on you.  BTW, that's Twin #2's friend there in the stripes:

82314154_zpsde384ea5.jpg

As we headed back to the Animation Courtyard, we passed the Brown Derby, which was going by Club Evil tonight.  Good thing we didn't have plans to go there- there was a long line of not so happy guests waiting to go in there.

We made it back to the Disney Junior stage, and got stopped by some Photopass photographers heading in:

Screenshot2014-08-27at13821PM_zps9ed963e

Screenshot2014-08-27at13917PM_zps3d7d317

Those screens we were standing in front of just had the backgrounds on them.  The villains were added by the photographer.  What I don't get is why.  Wouldn't it look just as fake if they had the image of the villain printed on the backdrop with the rest of the stuff?

There was a bit of a wait for the photos, so it was 10:15 by the time we got into the dance party.  What we found was a DJ spinning some tunes and a bunch of guests, but no characters:

82314156_zps584e70bc.jpg

One of the girls asked one of the CM's standing around doing nothing if there were going to be characters coming out.  The CM said yes, but he couldn't say when.  We pressed him.  Was it 15 minutes, a half-hour, longer?  Time was at a premium here, and it would be helpful to know that.  He said he didn't know.  And, I think he was telling the truth.  Not even the CM's knew what was going on.

But, at least there were some interesting guests in here.  Like this huge.  And I mean huge. Ursula:

82314157_zps6430f796.jpg

The girls asked him.  Yes, him.  If they could take a photo with him.  He said sure.  None of us had anything better to do at the moment, and I promptly took one of my patented terrible photos:

82314158_zpsf77c37e2.jpg

The clock kept ticking.

The DJ kept spinning the tunes:

82314159_zps98a77eba.jpg

Something had to happen soon.

Didn't it.

Nope:

82314161_zps70b5cd4d.jpg

Tick.

Tock.

Drip.

Drop.

That's the sound of $70 x 3 circling the bowl.

But then there were some murmurs from the crowd.

Maybe some squeals even.

And out came Star Lord and Gamora:

82314163_zpsc94be21f.jpg

So they exist.

The girls wanted a photo.

But, they were up on the stage.

And we were behind a rope.

Actually, we were behind a bunch of people who were behind a rope.

Star Lord and Gamora talked to the crowd:

82314166_zps5d65a3d5.jpg

Was that going to be it?

Nope.

They said they would walk along the rope, and we were welcome to take photos.

What?

How was that supposed to work?

Especially for those of us who were behind people on the rope?

Well, it didn't work too good.

It looked like this:

82314173_zps29df581c.jpg

There was a lot of jostling.

But, everyone was polite.

No pushing.

Or hair-pulling.

None of that.

Some people got photos.

A lot didn't.

That's how the cookie crumbles.

But not for the TCD gang.

Twin #1 handed her phone to a CM on the other side of the rope, and asked him to please take their photo.

He did, and they scored one photo with Star Lord and Gamora!

starlord_zps2edf9501.jpeg

Believe it or not, this made the three girls very happy.

They all posted that photo on their various social network sites, and they loved the attention.

None of them noticed until later, when I pointed it out, that there was a creepy old man photobombing them!

LOL.

So, now it was 10:30.

We basically only had 2 hours left.

Time to zip through some of those rare character lines!

TCD

We used to watch the TV show with my eldest who is 16 now.  And I do believe Gantu was in the movie.  We have owned hamsters and were not allowed to get a white one with red eyes because of that show. LOL

Love the photobomb.

We used to watch the TV show with my eldest who is 16 now.  And I do believe Gantu was in the movie.  We have owned hamsters and were not allowed to get a white one with red eyes because of that show. LOL

Love the photobomb.

Thanks.  I think Gantu was in the movie, but not the hamster-guy.  I've never seen him in the cartoon, but I wouldn't want a white hamster with red eyes either.  Actually, I wouldn't want any kind of hamster.

I have to admit.

I had not idea who Oogie Boogie was or what move he was from.  I've never seen the Nightmare Before Christmas and I never thought I was missing anything.

WBI

Join the club.  I've never seen the movie either. Nor have my daughters.  It just doesn't look interesting, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Disney.

Twin #2's friend told us she loves the movie.  I asked her about Oogie Boogie.  He seems kind of lame to be a villain.  I mean, what's so scary about him?  I guess he is in charge of giving people nightmares.  Still, that doesn't seem so scary.

Nice photobomb good job.

What can I say?

Lots of practice.

TCD

I personally love Nightmare Before Christmas but I also enjoy Tim Burton style and Danny Elfman's music for it

We really need to watch it.  It's obviously a very popular movie, and it has a presence in the parks.

We were recently talking about The Nightmare Before Christmas at our house. DD12 is not a fan of the movie.

Too bad you're not closer. I could borrow your copy.  We don't own it.

Good photobomb!

True.

TCD

Let's get one update in before the long weekend.

We left off at the Guardians of the Galaxy dance party.

To recap our night, we saw the opening show, then the Oogie Boogie show, then the first few minutes of the Fantasmic pre-show, and then got some hot dogs.  We then spent some time in the dance party, and got one photo of the girls with Star Lord and Gamora.  Not bad.  But not worth $70 either.

But, it was only 10:30.  The party was going on until 1.  We were only half-way there.

Time to meet some rare characters!

The Maleficent meet and greet was right back here where we were. We decided to start there.

We headed to the line.

The CM there said sorry, but this line is closed.

Why?, we asked.

Because it's full.

Oh.

So, at 10:30, with the party only half over, the line for one of the major villains was cut.  No more guests could enter it.

Oh well, Maleficent must be really popular.

There were 50 villains here tonight.

We could meet one of the other 49.

We decided to go and see Gantu and the hamster dude.

On the way there, the girls were impressed with the guy dressed as Mulan's boyfriend, and asked if they could get a photo with him.  His girlfriend was dressed as Mulan, and Twin #2's friend asked if she would mind stepping aside for the photo.  Yes, she said she minded.  Then Twin #2's friend asked if she could stand next to the boy.  No, said Mulan.  Wow, a little insecure there Mulan?  Men love that in a woman.  Good luck:

82314185_zps375ff969.jpg

So take that Disney, we don't need your long or closed lines.   We can just get pics with guests.

On the way to see Gantu, we passed the meet and greet for Barbosa.  Barbosa's line was also cut.  No more guests could meet him.

We got to Gantu at 10:45.  And guess what?

Did you guess that his line was cut?

How'd you know that?

Well, it was.

But, we could still see him:

82314187_zps18af400a.jpg

I think he and the hamster guy rotated, so we didn't see the hamster guy.

The helpful CM who told us we couldn't meet Gantu told us that there were roaming characters just a few steps away on the New York Street.  At this point, we were up for anything, so we tried.

Frollo wasn't having any of that.  You had to chase his evil butt down if you wanted a picture with him:

82314188_zps9ae39484.jpg

We also saw Lady Tremaine and her daughters running around, but they also seemed to be trying to get away from the guests chasing them, rather than stopping for photos.

So, we weren't doing to good here.

We wanted to meet some rare characters, but the three that we had tried to meet were not available for the rest of the night.

Hey, what about Shan Yu?  He was right around the corner, at the end of the San Francisco street.

We found his line. It was almost down the entire length of the street, and then turned to the right:

82314190_zps062105ee.jpg

But, it wasn't cut off.

We were allowed to join the line.

I held our place, and asked the girls to go take a look and see where the actual meet and greet was set up, and how things looked.

They did, and came back to report that after reaching the end of the street in front of us, the line turned to the right and was about as half as long again as the line we could see.

Easily over an hour wait, they estimated.

It was now 10:50 pm.

Should we use up a whole hour to see one character?

We decided no.

So, we abandoned out spot in line.

We walked past Shan Yu,  He doesn't loo too friendly anyway:

82314194_zps061e90b0.jpg

We headed back into the big area outside of Lights, Motor, Action.  There were some meet and greets for some minor villains around there- like the Evil Queen:

82314195_zpsc0aa6067.jpg

This was another line, I don't remember who it was for:

82314196_zpsf5a59639.jpg

One of the girls mentioned the hyenas.  They were supposed to be wandering around somewhere.  Maybe we could find them?  We thought that all the wandering characters, other than the Star Wars characters, were supposed to be on the New York Street.  But, we hadn't seen the hyenas.  So, one of the girls asked a CM who was standing there where we could find the hyenas.  The lady told us that they rotated in and out with the other characters, and that if we waited around we would probably see them.  So, we waited around some. No hyenas.

Hey, I said, what about the Star Wars villains?  Let's try them.  So we headed toward Star Tours.

On the way there, we saw a huge line across from the Muppets gift shop.  What was this all about?  We asked someone in line what they were waiting for.  The guy told us he was waiting to meet Constantine. That's the villain from the newest Muppets movie.  He looks exactly like Kermit the Frog, but he has a mole.  Hey, why don't we meet him, I suggested.  But, that wasn't possible.  Constantine's line was also closed.  People started lining up to meet him at 4 pm this afternoon.  To meet a puppet.

So, no Constantine for us.

But, as luck would have it, we could see him through the gift shop window as we passed by.  That little green blob under the Gulag sign is him:

82314197_zpse84a0082.jpg

We kept heading to Star Tours.

We ran right into that bald lady with the long fingers.  She was moving around quick, and this is the best picture of her I could take:

82314199_zpsbb2214ef.jpg

So here in Tatooine, things were just as crazy as they had been in New York. Basically, if you could shove your way in front of other guests and take a quick photo, you could.

We didn't want to meet any of these guys bad enough to start shoving.

So, I just took photos of them with other people.

Like this:

82314200_zps1a161ded.jpg

I thought one of the girls had a shot at jumping in after that girl, but the Stormtroopers marched off right after that:

82314202_zps6df57d9e.jpg

There was a Jawa stuck in a corner.  Maybe we had a chance to meet him:

82314203_zpsf18de8a0.jpg

Or maybe not.

He started to leave too.

This guy stopped him:

82314204_zpsf2a8a19d.jpg

The CM leading him away told us another Jawa would be coming at us from the other direction  Twin #1 found him:

82314205_zpsdefa5512.jpg

Darth Vader wasn't wandering around. He had a line.  And it wasn't closed.  But, he's easy to meet at the Star Wars Weekends.  And, his line was maybe about 45 minutes to an hour long:

82314206_zpsaf129364.jpg

That photo of the Darth Vader line was taken at 11:04.  Time was slipping by.

We had to decide what to do.

I said let's pick a line and stick to it.  If we had to wait for an hour, so be it,  There really was nothing else unique for us to do.

One of the girls asked a CM near Darth what other character meet and greets were in this location.  The CM told her that the Br'er characters were over by Indiana Jones.  Hey, that would work!

So we headed that way.

When we got there, we found a long line. 

I said let's get in it.  We may as well.  At least it wasn't cut off.

While I stood in the line, the girls went up ahead to scout out the situation.

They came back with some big news.

This line wasn't for the Br'er boys.

It was for they hyenas!

What a surprise.  We had gotten some bad information from a castmember.

So, at just a bit past 11 we got in line.  We were in front of the Indiana Jones entrance.

We could see the free face painting stations right down from where we were.

And, the CM's were just sitting there with nothing to do.

I told the girls to go and get their faces painted if they wanted to, and I would hold our place in line.

So they did.

The line moved really slow.

At 11:30, we had only moved just over half the distance of the line.  So, we had maybe another 15 or 20 minutes to go.

That's when a CM came down the line to let us know that the hyenas had to go back to the elephant graveyard.

What?

After I had waited for a half hour?

Now they tell us.

But, all was not lost.

They were coming back.

In 30 minutes.

Oy vey.

Everyone around me sat down.

So did I.

If there was one better option for us, I would have gotten out of line.

But there wasn't.

So, I sat.

The girls liked the face painting.

They told me I should go.

No thanks, I said.

My face was sweaty, and I didn't want to look stupid.

I mean stupider.

But, they kept asking.

And we could see there was no line for the face painting.

And, my other option was to sit there for a half hour.

So I went.

I picked the Governor Ratcliff design.

The CM was thrilled.  She said it was her favorite, and that no one had asked for it all night.

Well, I guess I made her night.

And, here we are:

facepaint_zpsfe687e80.jpeg

I have to admit, that photo may be worth the $70 x 3 we spent to come to this party.

It makes me laugh.

We still had 15 minutes to go.

Some people in front of us had some people join them.  These people had left the hyena line to try and meet Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear.  And they did.  They said there was almost no line for them. They were around the corner from the hyenas, and people probably didn't know that.

I told the girls they should go, and I would hold our place.

And they did:

brers_zpsd7cea949.png

Now we were having fun.

Then it was midnight.

And the hyenas came back, and the line started to move.

About 15 minutes later, it was finally our turn.

And, the lighting was so bad that the photos we waited an hour and fifteen minutes to take came out bad:

82314213_zps95abde56.jpg

82314214_zps388cf692.jpg

82314215_zps5c702b7f.jpg

Good thing the photopass photographer was there:

hyenasphotopass_zps82288126.png

Well, we met the hyenas.

So, we accomplished something in the second half of the party.  Not much, but it was something.

Now it was 12:20.

The fireworks were at 12:45.

Twenty five minutes.

Maybe we have time to ride something.

We heard that characters were jumping in with guests at Tower of Terror.

We decided to try that.

What did we have to lose?

We will be heading back across the park in the next update, and you'll find out how the final forty minutes of the party went.

TCD

LOL. your daughters probably have. I dont have cable TV. I stream everything through my computer hooked up to the TV and Surround Sound so things like Netflix are must haves for me. 

Yup.  They also have Hulu.

And Amazon Prime.

But, I haven't watched any of that.

Your set-up sounds like a good idea. I would like something like that.  I may have to look into it.  Heck, I'm paying for it.

TCD

Yup.  They also have Hulu.

And Amazon Prime.

But, I haven't watched any of that.

Your set-up sounds like a good idea. I would like something like that.  I may have to look into it.  Heck, I'm paying for it.

TCD

I had Hulu but dropped it as it was annoying me. I so have Amazon Prime though. Between the free shipping, movies, tv, and music I get my money's worth out of it and then some.