The Park Snacker (tales of a culinary cheap'o)

SO, we are big on taking our own lunch or dinner into the park to save money.  Each trip we pick one or two places we really want to eat and hit those - - - but otherwise it is all carried in. 

We always have granola bars, fruit, and plenty of water on hand. Our go to meal (so far) has been dried summer sausage, with smoked cheese, sweet n' spicy mustard, and club crackers. It keeps well, is filling and loved by our little family of three. Now I am looking for new ideas.  SO...

What are you and your family's favorite "carry-in" snacks & meals??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have found that a 16 oz. Mountain Dew bottle full of Southern Comfort and free ice water makes "Small World" tolerable.  :wine:  :wine:

I agree, but sometimes i get carried away with the planning.  This is just the planning I have done for food for the first two days of our vacation:     Thursday Drive to WDW Breakfast (eaten about 8:

First of all I find it quite humorous that you think your the head of the family. We all know its INC who's in charge. Second. As the head, lol, of a family of 4 there is no way I'm winging it eit

ur go to meal (so far) has been dried summer sausage, with smoked cheese, sweet n' spicy mustard, and club crackers. It keeps well, is filling and loved by our little family of three. Now I am looking for new ideas.  SO...

What are you and your family's favorite "carry-in" snacks & meals??

Thank you!!  This upcoming trip we will have 4 parks days and we will be bringing lunch and dinner into the parks all four days.  I have some ideas for meals but need to try them out here at home to see if the family likes them before I serve them in the parks.

The first was tortellini broccoli salad with bacon and a sweet sauce.  Three of us liked it, but one of those three is dear husband, who is staying home this trip.   I may still serve it on the trip if I don't come up with other ideas.

The next is meatloaf muffins.  Basically, just a normal meatball recipe cooked in muffins cups to make them easier to carry and eat.  However, I am not sure how well they will bake up, as where does all the grease go when you are baking them in muffin cups.  I hope to try that recipe next week.

Pizza muffins sound interesting as well.  Basically, from what I have read, .you roll pizza dough out in a long rectangle.  Top it with sauce, cheese, and mini pepperonis.  Then roll it up tight and slice, (kinda like cinnamon rolls), then putt each slice in its own muffin cup and bake that way.  Might even try that one tomorrow if my knee feels up to it.

All these would be served cold.

I like the summer sausage idea.  I think I will add that to the list right now. :D

Hoping to hear more ideas!

I make a bisquick muffin. Some ideas are pizza (pepperoni, onion, green pepper, mozzarella cheese) or ham and cheese. Whatever combo you can think up. Mix bisquick and milk into a biscuit dough. add meat and veggies. cook in muffin pan at 450 for 8 to 10 minutes. I have also froze these ahead of time. My kids used to like them and I have used them for road and airline trips.

My relatives were at the MK last month. They saw a family pull out a bag af sandwiches made on hot dog rolls. They never stopped walking while they pulled the sandwiches out and passed them around. She was quite impressed.

We used to bring tortilla shells and cut up veggies meat and cheese then make wraps at the park. Not real quick, but it gave you a needed break.

I like the cheese and sausage idea.

Hard boiled eggs are good.

Cindy,

You also asked about snacks.  Our last family trip for our day in MK, I brought grapes, apples, GORP, granola bars, oatmeal cookies and pb cookies, baby carrots, and muffins.  That was in addition to a loaf of homemade bread, a jar of pb, and a jar of jelly.  

We're boring. When we pack lunches, we usually just do sandwiches... either a meat and cheese or PB&J.

For snacks, we usually bring trail mix, grapes, apples, granola bars, and fruit snacks. 

We ALWAYS bring drinks in because I'd rather splurge on special snacks or meals than pay $15 every time we're thirsty. I quit putting our drinks in an iced cooler because I find it easier to just get a free cup of ice and pour the warm water, sports drink, or whatever in the cup of ice. 

The next is meatloaf muffins.  Basically, just a normal meatball recipe cooked in muffins cups to make them easier to carry and eat.  However, I am not sure how well they will bake up, as where does all the grease go when you are baking them in muffin cups.  I hope to try that recipe next week.

Marty, I do my meatloaf in muffin tins a lot. It cooks faster and doesn't get as dry.  BUT, you really want to use a very lean beef like 93 - 7.  With the lean meat a little cooks out and then reabsorbs right after cooking.   Once at my mom's I tried it with the ground beef from her freezer - fat content unknown.  We had to pull them out of the oven and pour grease off twice.  NASTY!  

Marty, I do my meatloaf in muffin tins a lot. It cooks faster and doesn't get as dry.  BUT, you really want to use a very lean beef like 93 - 7.  With the lean meat a little cooks out and then reabsorbs right after cooking.   Once at my mom's I tried it with the ground beef from her freezer - fat content unknown.  We had to pull them out of the oven and pour grease off twice.  NASTY!  

Okay, thanks for the tips.  Not sure I can afford really lean ground  beef.  Might have to put this idea on the back burner.

We're boring. When we pack lunches, we usually just do sandwiches... either a meat and cheese or PB&J.

For snacks, we usually bring trail mix, grapes, apples, granola bars, and fruit snacks. 

We ALWAYS bring drinks in because I'd rather splurge on special snacks or meals than pay $15 every time we're thirsty. I quit putting our drinks in an iced cooler because I find it easier to just get a free cup of ice and pour the warm water, sports drink, or whatever in the cup of ice.

You could invest in good insulated bottles, or freeze juice boxes or water bottles. In a soft side cooler they will defrost and still be cold in the afternoon.

I have a Thermos stainless steel insulated bottle. I can put ice water in it, and it's still cold at night.

Or you could go with camel backs or their competition. I have one that I put a replacement liner in that I got at Wal mart. The liner itself can be frozen to help keep drinks cool.

I make a bisquick muffin. Some ideas are pizza (pepperoni, onion, green pepper, mozzarella cheese) or ham and cheese. Whatever combo you can think up. Mix bisquick and milk into a biscuit dough. add meat and veggies. cook in muffin pan at 450 for 8 to 10 minutes. I have also froze these ahead of time. My kids used to like them and I have used them for road and airline trips.

Do you use an egg in the bisquick mix?

You could invest in good insulated bottles, or freeze juice boxes or water bottles. In a soft side cooler they will defrost and still be cold in the afternoon.

I have a Thermos stainless steel insulated bottle. I can put ice water in it, and it's still cold at night.

Or you could go with camel backs or their competition. I have one that I put a replacement liner in that I got at Wal mart. The liner itself can be frozen to help keep drinks cool.

We've tried most of that. I just find it easiest to throw the drinks in a bag and ask for ice.

We have a couple of insulated backpacks that work well for us. One is filled with cold waters and juice pouches. Other one has PB & J sandwiches, trail mix, peanut butter crackers, grapes. My friend makes sandwiches with frozen waffles, fills them with cream cheese and jelly. But that got me thinking, why not bring Nutella and cut up bananas and strawberries and make your own waffle sandwiches, like they sell there?

If you have a bunch of kids and are not the Luckow family, it makes sense to pack as much as you can, but for us, it's just the two of us.

Add the fact that I'm lazy, only go for 4 hours at time, am not on a budget, and don't want to carry anything around, I don't bring anything in.

I have found that a 16 oz. Mountain Dew bottle full of Southern Comfort and free ice water makes "Small World" tolerable.  :wine:  :wine:

HAHAHA....BUT...

Water bottle with Parrott Bay Coconut rum for me.

I am on team Parrott Bay with some fancy OJ!

We always each bring a water bottle then refill & use a crystal light drink packet to make the fountain water taste better.

Great idea! Daughter seriously dislikes Florida water.

We've never brought our lunch or dinner to a park but we do bring snacks.

Beef jerky.

Fruit snacks

Apples, carrot stocks

Pretzel sticks

Goldfish mixed with peanuts.

beef jerky is a good one! We've done a fish cracker snack mix before...although it is possible, just possible, that I put too much garlic in. Would help us if we ran into some vampires, but probably off putting at meet n greets. Next time, light on the garlic!!!