I'm still not completely caught up after the weekend, so apologies if this has already been posted.

From Fort Camper Rental's FB page...

There are changes coming soon, which I believe will be a good thing for our business.

Disney has communicated to us, that going forward, they are making some changes in policies and procedures, regarding RV rental companies that bring units onto their property.

We will need to go through a process to become a Disney approved vendor, which to us is a good thing. Rules and proper procedures will be spelled out in a contract between our two parties.

There is one major change to our accustomed procedures, which is changing as of right now....Campsites will not be released to us, until 1:00 pm ....... So your pop-up may not be set up and ready when you arrive.

We'll keep everyone in the loop on this Facebook page, when additional information becomes available to us.

Any policy or procedure changes that may affect you as a renter, will be added to our contracts..... Please read your contract carefully, as we will highlight any important changes.

Thanks to everyone for reading this, and for all your support, as we enter our 3rd year of helping to make magical vacation memories.

https://www.facebook.com/FortCamperRental

As many folks know, Fort Camper Rental is owned by one of our longtime members and sponsors, so if folks have specific questions, I'm sure Curt would be happy to answer them.

I've seen reports that other camper rental companies are reporting the same thing, and additionally that golf carts may no longer be included as part of the rental package.  This is what Florida Camper Rental is reporting on their FB page...

...To take effect immediately Fort Wilderness may or may not be releasing campsites to rental companies before 1 pm. So there is a very good chance your RV may not be ready and waiting for you by the time you arrive. We are estimating that the average ready time will be about 2pm and 3pm on busy check in days.

There will also be no more golf carts allowed with your RV rental as a package.

Moving forward we have been informed that a contract will be put in place that will outline specific rules and guidelines for RV rental companies to follow. Once we have the contract and a clear outline of the new policy and procedures we will be updating our policy's and procedures to accurately reflect any necessary changes and inform the public immediately.

...All previous statements are based upon conversations with Fort Wilderness management and Disney employees and are subject to change. Statements are true and accurate to the best of our knowledge and maybe edited or deleted based upon any new information obtained.

https://www.facebook.com/floridacamperrental?ref=br_tf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to wait and get mad about private carts when something actually happens.

^THIS^

I'd like it if they enforced the "must have a licence to drive" rule vs letting kids race around on them like they're toys.   And btw, more often than not when I do see an obviously too young kid driv

Uh-oh.

The no golf cart thing could be the beginning of the big crack down on off-site rental companies that has been rumored to be coming.

TCD

I think that has already started more than we think. Beachline pulled out several weeks ago. Customers were told we can't honor the contract IIRC.

Now if they would just enforce the rest of the Golf cart rules.

Like no personal golf carts, or no golf carts at all?

I'd like it if they enforced the "must have a licence to drive" rule vs letting kids race around on them like they're toys.

And btw, more often than not when I do see an obviously too young kid driving a cart, it's pretty much always a Disney rental.

Like no personal golf carts, or no golf carts at all?

No, the rules about underage drivers, pulling over to allow cars, trucks and busses to pass, the one way in the loops, no gators, mules and ATV's, no electric cars on the golf cart path to the marina, etc, etc , etc.

Uh-oh.

The no golf cart thing could be the beginning of the big crack down on off-site rental companies that has been rumored to be coming.

TCD

Agree.  I had a different experience this summer when I rented from one of the well-known cart companies.  Don't want to go into much detail because I was asked not to.  It all worked out in our case, but I know there were some clients who were unable to rent a cart from them because of the crackdown by WDW.  This really is a shame.  I do not believe those vendors were taking that much of the cart rental revenue away from Disney.  There were always plenty of green carts flying around (as Mo said, often by 12-14 year olds), and the Disney cart rental rates are so outrageous anyway, they're making a killing.

I am trying to figure out a way to leave our cart down in FL for our Fort and Jekyll visits.  We never use it up here.  With this new info I am even more motivated to make it happen.

Maybe I'm wrong it it seems like the golf cart rental crack down is all about disneys money. I have a feeling before to long its going to be no privately owned golf carts at all.

I sure hope Disney doesn't stop allowing us to bring our cart.  That would be a big incentive for us to vacation elsewhere.

I don't see how they could do that, I sure hope not.  My guess is they're going to be much more careful at the gate when folks towing carts come through.  If you're not a guest checking in, why would you have a cart in tow?  I know many of them had their own card to get in, but that can't be easy to keep up with, either.  If they know "Disney is watching", seems like they'd not want to risk being caught and get into a big mess with them.  Sneaking in with your family of 16 to use the pool is one thing, sneaking in with a cart or 2 or 3 on a trailer is another…..

Maybe I'm wrong it it seems like the golf cart rental crack down is all about disneys money. I have a feeling before to long its going to be no privately owned golf carts at all.

I don't see that happening but I can see them charging for like a corkage fee like at places where you byob, know what I mean?

I don't see that happening either since they don't have enough carts for the peak demand times. Also I'm willing to bet they end up in the middle of some disputes between the outside vendors and the renters when things really go sour.

I am trying to figure out a way to leave our cart down in FL for our Fort and Jekyll visits.  We never use it up here.  With this new info I am even more motivated to make it happen.

We've been talking about the possibility of snagging a cheap(ish) cart and leaving it in FL.  I have an uncle not so far away where we could leave it.  In fact, our backup plan for this year is to borrow his cart.

One campground we went to a few years ago charged an extra dollar a day for bringing your own cart (for added electricity used I guess).

If the option was that or rent from Disney, I'd be ok with that.  We won't ever rent a cart from Disney.  As much as we enjoy having one, the cost is almost what we're paying for our site, and over 3 weeks that just is not happening.

I don't see that happening either since they don't have enough carts for the peak demand times. Also I'm willing to bet they end up in the middle of some disputes between the outside vendors and the renters when things really go sour.

I think it's money and maybe even more, what Dave said.  I've heard more and more stories in the last year or so of people - generally folks who don't really understand the whole GC rental "thing" at the Fort - who have issues with their cart vendors (even minor ones), freak out, and take them to the front desk expecting Disney to do something about it.  I even read one account where someone felt that Disney should give them one of their carts for FREE because they had issues with their vendor.  (really?!)

I think part of the problem is expectations.  The people that aren't regulars and don't know anything more than "hey I can get a cheaper cart!?" have expectations that this is all still a "Disney thing"... in other words, if something goes wrong with the cart, someone will be there instantly to fix/replace it.  In reality, if that's the experience they want, they should just pony up the money and rent from Disney.

It also hasn't helped at all that these people then post everything online.  I know you can't control what people will post, but I really do wish that all the cart vendors would tell their customers not to post details beyond "hey I had a good/bad/other experience using XYZ carts...", as I really do think that's contributed greatly to the cracking down.

But at this point that's like closing the barn door after the horse is 400 miles away.

One of the campgrounds we went to this summer, which allowed golf carts, charged us $5.00 a day, plus we had to show that we had insurance and that it was street legal and licensed by the city. They only allowed one outside vendor if you wanted to rent and the going rate was $100.00 a day. (But that was the same rate all the outside vendors charged for a four seater) But, it was pointed out to me that it was for a full 24 hours. What a bargain!! It was cheaper to comply with all their requests rather than rent.

We must have a GC when we visit the Fort to transport our kids around.  Although not a legal hang tag, we have a handicapped sticker on our windshield.  A dollar a day does not seem too much, but $5 a day is getting pretty steep on top of the campground fee.  As to requiring proof of separate insurance and being street legal, that is overkill for a campground.  But I guess I need to check to see if State Farm already covers mine.  Next I imagine they will go after making scooters be street legal.(Sarcasm).

I can see us cutting back or cancelling our visit(s) if cart renting from Disney becomes a requirement.

Well, time to find some used Segways! :thinking-smiley: 

We may just find another used ECV like Rick has already. As it stands now, one of us takes the cart to parking to go to the parks and the other rides the ECV. I often brought the ECV to Ft. Wilderness on my solo trips and used it as a golf cart, and parked it in golf cart parking. Looping is not quite the same as it's a little slower, but it works.

The other campground we frequent (Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach) doesn't charge extra per day for a private cart, but they do require you to carry at least $50,000 insurance on your cart (whether it's street legal or not).  And your cart has to be inspected, you have to pay for a usage sticker, and -- believe me -- if you don't have that sticker, their security guards will stop you dead in your tracks.

The other campground we frequent (Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach) doesn't charge extra per day for a private cart, but they do require you to carry at least $50,000 insurance on your cart (whether it's street legal or not).  And your cart has to be inspected, you have to pay for a usage sticker, and -- believe me -- if you don't have that sticker, their security guards will stop you dead in your tracks.

It would be easy for Disney to do this at the Fort.  Maybe we need to stop giving them ideas.

I'm going to wait and get mad about private carts when something actually happens.

Good point.

TCD

It would be easy for Disney to do this at the Fort.  Maybe we need to stop giving them ideas.

Ocean Lakes also busts underage drivers, and if they are repeat offenders they and their family are kicked out of the campground.  Maybe we should give Disney some ideas!