Ocean Lakes also busts underage drivers, and if they are repeat offenders they and their family are kicked out of the campground. Maybe we should give Disney some ideas!

I don't know about that. During our one and only stay there, we were almost run over by drunk teens on carts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to wait and get mad about private carts when something actually happens.

^THIS^

I'd like it if they enforced the "must have a licence to drive" rule vs letting kids race around on them like they're toys.   And btw, more often than not when I do see an obviously too young kid driv

I'm sure that it is not any of the Fiends, but us people that love to ride our bicycles have, over the years, seen the carts become a nuisiance.  There are so many of them now and some of the operators are just plain rude.  On our last visit, a cart ran a lady complety off of the shared path to the marina.  Ran her off into the brushes and wrecked her, stopped, looked back and then continued on their way without even an apology.  This has happened more than once, one ran me completely off of the sidewalk path heading up to the Outpost.

For some reason, some of these cart operators think they have the right-of-way by default.  We have said many times that Disney, sooner or later, would have to do something about the carts as the place, at times, has become saturated with them.  It used to be a lot more fun riding there, but now it requires one to maintain a constant lookout for wayward carts, especially at night when, apparently, some of them cannot see where they are going.

Sorry for this rant, I'm sure that there is a minority of carts that cause the problems, but it only takes one to run over you.

I don't see how they could do that, I sure hope not…..

Did you read Southernview...rays

Last post?

It's easy how they can do it. Some genius at Fort says hey we are losing money by letting people bring there own golf cart. They'll blame it on an accident that happened and the liability it causes.

They'll buy more carts and gorce people to buy insurance when they rent them.

It's a win win for Disney. More cart rentals and an overpriced liabity policy.

I'm sure that it is not any of the Fiends, but us people that love to ride our bicycles have, over the years, seen the carts become a nuisiance.  There are so many of them now and some of the operators are just plain rude.  On our last visit, a cart ran a lady complety off of the shared path to the marina.  Ran her off into the brushes and wrecked her, stopped, looked back and then continued on their way without even an apology.  This has happened more than once, one ran me completely off of the sidewalk path heading up to the Outpost.

For some reason, some of these cart operators think they have the right-of-way by default.  We have said many times that Disney, sooner or later, would have to do something about the carts as the place, at times, has become saturated with them.  It used to be a lot more fun riding there, but now it requires one to maintain a constant lookout for wayward carts, especially at night when, apparently, some of them cannot see where they are going.

Sorry for this rant, I'm sure that there is a minority of carts that cause the problems, but it only takes one to run over you.

We enjoy our bikes at the Fort as well, and sometimes it seems the path to the WL is the only peaceful spot to ride anymore.

Amen.

I've seen that happen numerous times.  The worst spot is the path behind the tennis courts leading to the campfire parking lot.  You take your life in your hands biking and walking down there.

Our last trip to the Fort, I saw this 2 or 3 rows of seats City? electric cart (kind of oval shaped) towing a trailer with 2 rows of seats attempting to drive down that path.  It was longer than an extended cab pick up

Years ago we had to worry about our kids getting hurt riding bikes, now it's our granddaughters, and there does seem to be a lot more carts now a days.

We ride both our bikes and our cart while visiting the Fort.  I totally agree with this.  When biking, it is difficult to find places to do so while staying safe.  When we are driving our cart, we yield to pedestrians and bikes.  We also pull over so regular vehicles and RV's can pass us when out on the main roads.  We don't allow our teenagers to drive our cart and still make them wear bike helmets there because of all of the careless golf cart drivers.  There was a family in our old neighborhood whose child got hit by a car, no helmet - now she is living with a permanent brain injury and may never live independently.  Not worth it to us.

But I know we are the exception.  It's a shame that guests have been allowed to bend the rules for so long that it seems the rules have been forgotten.  It would not be that difficult to enforce them.  You comply or you get out.  Pretty sure that is written into the language in the documents we all agree to and/or sign when reserving a site/checking in.  It doesn't seem to me that it would be that difficult for Disney to enforce the rules of the road and cart paths at the Fort.  

In this case with restricting rental companies, I believe it is more of a financial issue for Disney.  They can't blame past accidents, etc. because people are careless on outside rental carts, Disney carts, and personal ones.  This is pure greed.  They will continue to allow the camper rentals because that still brings in guests who will pay the site fees and rent one of their carts.

There really should be a separate sidewalk along side the path to the settlement area. That path is just wide enough for carts to pass.  Add people walking and bikes it's just an accident waiting to happen.

What in the world was a cart doing on the sidewalk to the outpost.    Same thing the 12 year-olds were doing with 9-10 year-olds standing on the back of the cart while doing hot laps in the 1700 loop last weekend. 

There really should be a separate sidewalk along side the path to the settlement area. That path is just wide enough for carts to pass.  Add people walking and bikes it's just an accident waiting to happen.

That is "supposedly" in the works as a follow-up to the reconfiguration of the crosswalk at the old 3 way, now 4 way stop sign.

That is "supposedly" in the works as a follow-up to the reconfiguration of the crosswalk at the old 3 way, now 4 way stop sign.

I agree with Memphis, and I know they did a little work on the southern end of this sidewalk, but then they stopped.  What's so hard about putting in another sidewalk?

While they're at it, they need to figure out something better than the one road into the Meadow area.  Golf carts used to be able to go in and out of the area from the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post and from the 1400 loop, but they shut off those access points.  Then, they did nothing to improve what is now the sole access to the area.  That's dumb on their part too. 

Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here.

TCD

I've only camped at The Fort 3 times and from what I saw, the vast majority of the abusers to golf carts and the rules were people who rented them. I'm not saying its everyone who rents a cart, just that most of the rule breakers were rentals. Regulars like us who rent, or ones who own their own cart always abide by the written and unwritten rules when it comes to golf cart etiquette at The Fort, at least from what I've witnessed.

Problem is, people who don't have access to carts often will loose their minds on them. Kids and adults a like. How many times have you been to a golf course and have seen a group of grown men doing donuts or something stupid as they ride around the course? Or at other campgrounds? And with kids...well, they're going to be kids. I would hate to see The Fort turn away personally owned golf carts, because I would venture to say that the vast majority of us are responsible when it comes to operating it. But just like with anything else, a couple sour apples will ruin the whole bunch.

Just my $0.02

Cody

I agree with Memphis, and I know they did a little work on the southern end of this sidewalk, but then they stopped.  What's so hard about putting in another sidewalk

TCD

You know DISNEY. It has to "fit in" and they didn't want to disturb the root structure of the trees and kill them off. To quote one of the engineers.

Of course.  They have repeatedly demonstrated how much they value trees in the past few years.

Timberrrrrr!

TCD

The ones they cut down were dying or decayed in the center and had a chance of falling on someone or something. I personally applaud them for doing it.  

The ones they cut down were dying or decayed in the center and had a chance of falling on someone or something. I personally applaud them for doing it.  

Or they were perfectly healthy, but were in the way of the space needed to make 54% of all the sites in the Fort Premium sites, so they could pour extra concrete and charge everyone more money.

Those are the trees whose loss I mourn.

I do not applaud that.

TCD

If someone can give me an advance heads up when they ban personal carts at the fort so I have enough time to peddle herbie off to some schmuck who thinks he will be the biggest hit at Fort Wilderness...lol

Or they were perfectly healthy, but were in the way of the space needed to make 54% of all the sites in the Fort Premium sites, so they could pour extra concrete and charge everyone more money.

Those are the trees whose loss I mourn.

I do not applaud that.

TCD

There we agree, almost. Since the RV's grew so must the sites.

I'm sure a lot of people have a story:

Guy in a truck complains he was cut off by a class A

Guy in a Prius claims he was cut off by a truck

Guy in a GC was cutoff by a Prius

Guy on a bike was cutoff by a GC

Guy walking was cutoff by a bike

Squirrel failed to get right if way from a guy walking

Rule enforcement and social civility is all that is needed.