Ugh!  I am so angry!  Yesterday, I saw a note stuck to my front door from a neighbor saying to come talk to her ASAP.  She said she saw someone in a black hoodie walking around our fenced-in backyard around 10:30 am.  She said he also walked around the driveway between our camper and our house.  

My husband looked around the yard and things looked ok until he got to our fifth-wheel.  The guy pulled our power cord all the way out, snipped it off and took it.  We are assuming he took it for scrap.  Lovely.  

We have a neighbor with a camper two houses down and his camper is fine...it looks like it was just us.  

We filed a police report and contacted our insurance company.  

How brazen!  It was 10:30 in the morning and both of our cars were in the driveway!  What a crappy feeling!  :(

I converted my cord to a removable one this summer for just this reason. There is a fair amount of copper in these cords.

Our neighbors across the st gave up on their mortgage and moved to GA. The house sat for 2 years. We were constantly calling cops due to the house getting broken into.. Some of them got caught in the act trying to steal all the copper piping.. Best part is the house was built with all PEX. Aren't drugs grand. 

Oh man, that is awful - people are so lame.  It must be creepy knowing you were home!  Is is really that profitable?  Seems like it has to be a pain extracting the copper from all of that rubber?  

I have to bring some stuff to ours later and am gonna check the cord!  Yikes!

Is there anything on the market to lock them into the unit when not in use?  Like the lock box for our surge protector?

The amount of money the thieves get from selling stolen copper is nowhere near what it costs to replace the stolen parts. 

Air conditioners cost so much to fix and it's a source for the scum bags.

"Wearing a hoody"  how many times do you read that in a description of a thief.

Just told my husband about removable power cords...he said he will look into that when we replace ours.  

Sorry that happened. Why didn't she call the police when she saw him?

She said he stood out as being out of place, but started thinking maybe he belonged there and was doing some kind of work in our yard or something.  Our neighborhood has always been quiet and crime free.  She was surprised that someone would be so brazen to be stealing stuff in broad daylight.  When we called the police, he spoke to her and let her know that its best to call in those circumstances.  

We had my family house up for sale and got broken in and they cut all the copper pipes out in the basement, at our rental place the rain gutters are also copper but are so old and green and now match the siding nothing has happened there but there are people living in it not empty like the house was. Yup thieves really suck!!!

In response to the thefts for recycling, local recycling places aound here now require (and make copies) photo ID and will only issue checks, no cash.  Not sure how much it really helps, but it may make it easier to track down thieves in big cases.

Too bad it wasn't plugged in and the thief electrocuted.

That happened years ago up north when copper stealing was just getting popular.  It was either Con Ed or LI Power where the jerk went and cut into a live high voltage line.  He turned crispy, the family sued and won.  Not sure on what grounds or why, but the utility company payed out a hefty sum.