Hoppy Easter and Crazy Crowds… The GDF Family Returns for Spring Break

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been a lurker on trip reports for a long time... And it is about time for me to let you all know how fantastic they are and how I appreciate your time commitment in writing them. We leave for W

Well, here we go. It’s time for another GDF trip report. This Spring Break trip has been in the works for awhile. In fact, it was knowing that this trip was coming that prompted us to buy the APs on p

Alright, we left off with us about to ride Mission Space. It was Z’s first time. He was a little nervous, probably because of all the warnings which aren’t really applicable to the green side.   Yes,

WooHoo, I have finally have to some time to catch up on some "Trip Reportin' " I'm stuck at a job site tonight supervising a furniture install.  What better way to spend the time than reading a GDF adventure!

First!

Ultimate bragging rights go to Marty! 

I'm usually not one to rush to leave my mark on a trip report, but I can't resist -- 2nd. Looking forward to reading the rest!

Glad you couldn't resist. Self-control is overrated. 

Dang,  I got the bronze medal.

So what's it like checking in at 4 am?  I'm sure you had to go inside.  Did it take long?

Even though I'm not a fan of your team, I do have to admit that your golf cart looks great.

How was the owner of that classic car allowed to park it off of the pad? Where were the Idiot Rangers?

I am really surprised that Z was allowed to use a blue crayon to color his dog.  You're getting soft.

Donnie (Stacktester) used to have a Haunted Mansion Doom Buggy themed cart, but the front of that one in your photo doesn't look how I remembered the front of Donnie's cart looking.  It could be his cart, though.

Looking forward to what you thought about Boma.  We've been several times. I like breakfast there better than dinner.

TCD

Check in at 4 am... we did have to go in. As we were close, there was a PUP also driving that way. We made sure to get in front of them. I figured only one CM was working, and I was tired. As we pulled in, a TT was pulling away. Yay, no wait! I walked in, and the CM checked us in. I had done online check-in, so it was pretty quick. I'm guessing the whole process was around 5 minutes. 

And thanks for the compliment on the cart! Can you believe we got all 3 decals for less than $30? 

He was only given red and blue; sometimes you have to sacrifice. 

You know what, I've never met Donnie in person. I know what he looks like though, and didn't see him. 

Fourth again, WTH??

Best Regards,

Norm

Sorry, but you beat out all the folks behind you. 4th is respectable. 

I'm here! Wish I was there instead!

Me too! (already)

I'm in!

Having children that enjoy their sleep is wonderful. Z is doing great on the monkey bars. Do they allow the kids to play on them at his school? Where I work you have to be 2nd grade or above to go on them. There used to not be a rule, but then I guess a few broken arms happened so they made the rule.

Kids that are good sleepers rule. When he was a baby, I used the method called Baby Wise. Some of my friends thought I was crazy/mean. But guess what? After 3 nights, he was sleeping like a champ and still is. I credit that method.

I've heard mixed things about kindergartners using the monkey bars at his school. I think it's OK at recess but not at after school. 

First page - that's a minor miracle for me!

Someday when we have a cart of our very own, it will be doom buggy themed.  :)

I am seriously impressed and honored. 

I'm in! What a great start.

I'm also curious about the 4 am check in how was that?

WBI

Thanks for being here! Read above under TCD for the details. Besides the fact that I was super tired, it was fine. 

I am in, glad you got the milk can with no problem. Still have another one in the barn if you need another.

I really appreciate the milk can. We need to get busy painting now. Maybe another Fiend needs your extra. I know they're hard to find in my parts. 

Hope to meet you in person next time!

I'm in.

Glad to see Z remembers are DD. Blue is her favorite color. And that's so awesome that you made your 10,000 Post from such an place.

Waiting patiently for an update.

Listen, your DD not being at the GG got me in a bit of trouble. How dare you, well actually her and the rest of the kids, not be there. Luckily, TJ and Missy jumped in to entertain Z. 

Page One?

I have been working on my TR and didn't see this one started.

I SMB.

Page 1! You don't SMB. And I'm glad you finally started that report. 

Did you notice if that circular thingy on the Doom Buggy was some type of speaker?  It looks like it could be.  Maybe they play they HM music when they are looping around?

Yes, Jason thought the same thing. 

Where's Dave?

I hope he gets a Page One spot.

Dave usually boycotts my reports. 

He may be running out of time.

Almost! 

I have been a lurker on trip reports for a long time...

And it is about time for me to let you all know how fantastic they are and how I appreciate your time commitment in writing them.

We leave for WDW in 52 days - 1 night at the Contemporary and 7 at the Fort.  Reading about everyone's adventures really makes the "waiting for my trip" easier.  And I learn a few things and get really, really excited!

Thank you!

You are very welcome! Actually, thank you! You don't know how happy it makes me (and the others who write TRs) to hear. I have fun writing them, but they do take a lot of work. Thanks for commenting! And guess what... I've got good news for you. There's a good chance, I'll be at the Fort when you're there. Be sure to stop by and say hello. 

I'm in.  Better late than never.

Not so late! 

On board.

Glad to hear it. PS- Did my adoption papers get lost in the mail? I can PM you my address again if I need to. 

Did I make page one?

Whoooo! You're here!

Yes!  Winning!  

Winning, indeed 

First page....?

Almost. 

Rats....oh well. I'm in.

Here's the good news... You have the nicest avatar of anyone who has responded. And do you love the cart? 

Looking forward to reading about the rest of the trip!

Glad you're here. 

Pg 2, bummer!

Looking forward to the report... but I have to say, the cart?  Yeah... ugly.

Good news... We're bringing it to Bald Ridge, so you get to see it in person. I'll even ride you around. 

Oh... another one curious about the 4am check-in.  Do tell.

I answered in TCD's post, so check that out. We were SUPER tired, but it was OK. 

Nice Sign. :) lol

Isn't it? We got tons of compliments on it. The craftsmanship is impressive. Love it! 

I'm excited to read! Great pics already.

Thanks so much! 

WooHoo, I have finally have to some time to catch up on some "Trip Reportin' " I'm stuck at a job site tonight supervising a furniture install.  What better way to spend the time than reading a GDF adventure!

Excellent! Sorry you're stuck at work, but glad I can keep you entertained. 

Count me in

Good! I'd hate to talk about you behind your back. LOL!

Let’s continue!

So the original plan was to go to AK for a bit, then ride the bus to the AKL for dinner. But then we decided not to go to AK, and we don’t have a car. So, what should we do? One option was to ride the bus to a park, and then a bus to AKL. Another option was to taxi. But we decided to Uber. Now this wasn’t our first time using Uber. Jason and I have used it locally at home.

Never heard of Uber? It’s an independent ride service. The drivers are background checked and have to have a clean driving record. Basically, you download an app and set up an account. You then select your pick up and drop off location. You can also estimate a fare. In this case, it said $12-15. That’s half the price of a taxi… but wait, there’s more. I invited Jason to use Uber (we’d always used my account in the past), so he got a free $20 credit, and so did I. We used those to go to and from the AKL for FREE. So back to Uber, you see the driver’s name, picture, and car, and you can even text or call them. It’s pretty cool. I will say that I have been impressed with Uber 100% of the times we’ve used it. I know it’s new to a lot of people, so feel free to ask questions. And if you want to set up your own account, you can use kellyl1226 and you and I will both get a ride up to $20 for free! You could then invite your spouse, and you’d both get a free ride as well.

So we were picked up in about 5 minutes and headed to the AKL. Wow, it’s beautiful!

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

We came early on purpose to head back to the animal viewing area.

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

Kelly and Jason selfie

IMG_3111.jpg

The back of the building is really pretty, lots of glass.

IMG_3112.jpg

We went up to a balcony viewing area, and saw another giraffe.

IMG_3112.jpg

Lobby art

IMG_3114.jpg

Seeing this was all really cool. I can see buying my DVC points here if we ever do it. 

Ack, I have to run, so drinks at Victoria Falls and dinner at Boma is coming in the next update. Sorry this one was short! 

Ah, just teasing. You've taken a break during 2 of mine. But I still like you. 

Hmm, hadn't thought of it before.  But maybe it's actually YOUR fault.  I am sensing another break coming on.   :D

And did you know that, on average, 5 people are murdered in this country by their Uber drivers every single day?  Yep, that's true.  I read it online somewhere.  

I haven't tried Uber yet, but Twin #1 has. In NYC no less. I am skeptical of it, but I will give it a try if the need arises.

So where did the Uber driver pick you up at the Fort and drop you back off afterwards?

Can you check availability or get ride estimates in advance?   Like from home before you travel to your destination?  For example, if you know you will be flying in to a certain city, can you set up a ride before you get there?

TCD

AKL always loks great in the pics. We are going to try to make it there on our next trip.

You really do need to ho see it. Pix don't do it justice. V

What Ray said.  We try and get out there at least once a trip - especially around Christmas time when everything is decorated. 

Oh and it doesn't hurt that they have a few really good dining options too if you need a reason to make the trek.

Hmm, hadn't thought of it before.  But maybe it's actually YOUR fault.  I am sensing another break coming on.   :D

And did you know that, on average, 5 people are murdered in this country by their Uber drivers every single day?  Yep, that's true.  I read it online somewhere.  

You better not take another break! I might really take it personally. 

And I love your made up stats. 

Glad you finally make it to AKL!!

And great info on Uber - thanks.  :)

Yes, I finally made it. So glad we did! 

AKL always loks great in the pics. We are going to try to make it there on our next trip.

You should. It's worth it. I actually made the ADR to force us to go. 

What did Z think of AKL? I bet he loved it. If I were to buy a DVC I'd pick AKV.

DD loves AKL. After our summer 2014 trip there it's her new favorite.

Did you make it out to the pool? DD loves it. So did DA and I. DD even likes it better than yacht/beach club pool.

He loved it! We did not make it out to the pool. He's a swimmer, so he'd be bummed to check it out and not swim. 

You really do need to ho see it. Pix don't do it justice. V

Agreed. 

Thank you . As for the cart- Absolutely!!! GO DAWGS!

Sic em! 

I'm late to the party but happy to be reading along.

We've stayed at AKV twice and really liked it both times. I think it's a great resort for kids, an experience they'll never forget.

You aren't so late. Welcome aboard! AKL is a cool place. 

I haven't tried Uber yet, but Twin #1 has. In NYC no less. I am skeptical of it, but I will give it a try if the need arises.

So where did the Uber driver pick you up at the Fort and drop you back off afterwards?

Can you check availability or get ride estimates in advance?   Like from home before you travel to your destination?  For example, if you know you will be flying in to a certain city, can you set up a ride before you get there?

TCD

Uber is cool. We were picked up from the front parking lot and dropped off there too.

You can get an estimate in advance by setting a pick up and drop off. It's a range because prices vary with demand. Our ride home in this was was a few dollars cheaper, but we actually got both rides free by using our promo codes. You can't set a pick up time far in advance, but I've never waited more than 10 minutes, and when we used it at Disney, it was more like 5 minutes. 

Usually I come to a trip report during the middle of it and wait to comment until I have read all 20 pages but hey I am here fairly early. 

I love reading about your adventures with your adorable Z.  It makes me even more excited for our trip at the end of May/beginning of June. It's almost here!

Welcome and thanks for reading! Your trip IS almost here. 

What Ray said.  We try and get out there at least once a trip - especially around Christmas time when everything is decorated. 

Oh and it doesn't hurt that they have a few really good dining options too if you need a reason to make the trek.

I bet it's awesome at Christmas! 

Here’s the other half of the update I meant to post last night. We left off with us heading to Victoria Falls to kill a bit of time before dinner.

IMG_3115.jpg

Victoria Falls has the usual Disney bar menu, plus a few specialties. Jason and I both ordered a margarita off the specialty menu that had a splash of cranberry. Of course, it’s not listed online, and I don’t remember the name. Sorry! It was fresh and delicious though.

I did take a picture!

IMG_3127.jpg

Z ordered the Wild Strawberry Lemonade, and we added a glow cube because we’re awesome parents.

IMG_3126.jpg

Family cuteness

IMG_3116.jpg

Smile

IMG_3124.jpg

Cheesy smile

IMG_3122.jpg

We really enjoyed Victoria Falls. It’s very open and has lots of comfortable seating. There’s not really a view, but you’re overlooking Boma. We didn’t try anything from the menu, but several items looked interesting. I’d definitely return.

So with that, we headed to Boma. We were seated pretty quickly. The restaurant is huge and louder than I expected. Sorry, no buffet pictures because I was fixing a plate for both Z and me and didn’t have a free hand. Let’s just say there are LOTS of choices.

Here’s a plate picture, even though buffet plates aren’t very pretty. The standout to me were the spicy ribs. The burn was kind of slow to come on. Z eats a lot of spicy things, and after a few bites decided they were too spicy for him.

IMG_3128.jpg

Steak (very good) and watermelon rind salad also pictured here.

IMG_3129.jpg

Some desserts… I kind of liked the zebra domes and enjoyed the bread pudding, but it was a little on the drier side. There is much better bread pudding coming later in this report.

IMG_3130.jpg

Free sparkling wine to celebrate our anniversary

IMG_3132.jpg

So what did the GDF family think of Boma? Raise your hand if you liked it…

IMG_3131.jpg

We liked it! It won’t be an every trip kind of restaurant, but we enjoyed our meal. It’s on the loud and busy side for me, but the variety and quality of food was good. I liked being adventurous and ordering things I might not order otherwise.

I am now a big fan of the AKL and would really like to stay there. I’m also interested in trying some of the other restaurants on the property and doing a bit more exploring.

So with full bellies, I checked the Uber app and could see that a car was very close by. I summoned it. We exited the front with a long line of people waiting on taxis, and hoped in our ride.

Once back at the site, we got to admire our Mickey light at the Fort for the first time.

IMG_3134.jpg

We put Z to bed and enjoyed chatting under the awning for a bit. The next morning was Easter, and we were heading to the candy scramble. Things happened there that made me feel like a bit of a celebrity. And we got to meet Mickey in some very special clothes.

Stay tuned.  

I'm a big fan of the AKL but most trips now days I feel like its too far from all the parks so we chose somewhere else.

Thanks for the info on Uber, I've never tried it but I may need to one day.

I guess the only times I've used other transportation at WDW was taking taxies from the Boardwalk to various resorts and I think those were always right around $10 before a tip.

WBI