Hoppy Easter and Crazy Crowds… The GDF Family Returns for Spring Break

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been a lurker on trip reports for a long time... And it is about time for me to let you all know how fantastic they are and how I appreciate your time commitment in writing them. We leave for W

Well, here we go. It’s time for another GDF trip report. This Spring Break trip has been in the works for awhile. In fact, it was knowing that this trip was coming that prompted us to buy the APs on p

Alright, we left off with us about to ride Mission Space. It was Z’s first time. He was a little nervous, probably because of all the warnings which aren’t really applicable to the green side.   Yes,

This uber stuff got me thinking. You know when the resorts won't let cars in the gates if you don't have a reservation? I wonder what kind of uber ID they flash to get in. "It's okay ma'am, I'm an uber driver"

That's one of the reasons I asked where the driver picked up and dropped off GDF.  Once the driver gets past the guard gate, what's to stop him from going right to a campsite?

TCD

When we were planning on going to Denver to visit my sister (we didn't get to go because the adoption went much faster that we thought it would and we couldn't do both trips in one year) we were going to use Uber.  I researched everything and for my size family it was much cheaper to get us to the suburb they live in.  We were going to then rent a car if we needed one.  A taxi there and renting a car from there was going to be outrageous.  I'm not 100% sure about this because things were crazy then, but I'm pretty sure I remember that they would provide a carseat if we needed it, but it might add some to the time.  And I have a friend that lives in Cali and travels a lot (I'm talking like 2 trips a week for work) (she's hip and single) and she uses Uber just about daily all over the US and loves it.  She's the one who told me about it.  

Also I hope you all enjoyed my extreme use of parenthesis.  :)  

Nice tease with the celebrity comment. I am eager to see what that is all about.

You are about to find out. And if you PM me your address, I'll send you an autograph. 

I'm a big fan of the AKL but most trips now days I feel like its too far from all the parks so we chose somewhere else.

Thanks for the info on Uber, I've never tried it but I may need to one day.

I guess the only times I've used other transportation at WDW was taking taxies from the Boardwalk to various resorts and I think those were always right around $10 before a tip.

WBI

AKL is really cool. So is Uber. 

This uber stuff got me thinking. You know when the resorts won't let cars in the gates if you don't have a reservation? I wonder what kind of uber ID they flash to get in. "It's okay ma'am, I'm an uber driver"

I think she told them she was going to the pool. :)

Glad you finally got to see AKL!

Me too! We enjoyed it a lot. 

That's one of the reasons I asked where the driver picked up and dropped off GDF.  Once the driver gets past the guard gate, what's to stop him from going right to a campsite?

TCD

Hmmm.... I might have said too much. I can give you all the details in a PM if you want. Let's focus on how awesome the service is though. I don't want them getting the boot. 

When we were planning on going to Denver to visit my sister (we didn't get to go because the adoption went much faster that we thought it would and we couldn't do both trips in one year) we were going to use Uber.  I researched everything and for my size family it was much cheaper to get us to the suburb they live in.  We were going to then rent a car if we needed one.  A taxi there and renting a car from there was going to be outrageous.  I'm not 100% sure about this because things were crazy then, but I'm pretty sure I remember that they would provide a carseat if we needed it, but it might add some to the time.  And I have a friend that lives in Cali and travels a lot (I'm talking like 2 trips a week for work) (she's hip and single) and she uses Uber just about daily all over the US and loves it.  She's the one who told me about it.  

Also I hope you all enjoyed my extreme use of parenthesis.   :)

I'm really impressed with the service. 

What did you use fr a car seat kelly?

Z is big enough to ride in a booster. He doesn't need a full seat. 

I was wondering that too....can you specify that a car equipped with a child seat pick you up?  Or do you have to bring your own?

See above... I don't think you can specify that. However, you do have a way to call and text the driver to ask about it. Maybe some have them? 

The Doom Buggy cart was not Donnie's. His is a Club Car and that one was a Yamaha.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The glow cube is neat.  You all clean up nice.  I'm not a drinker, but that margarita does look good... not as good as the mickey light though, love that! :)

Happy Anniversary!

Z loves glow cubes. You can add them to any drink for about $2. Do it next time you go! We reuse them at home. 

The margarita was good, none of that yucky mix. 

Pood Forn!!!

DW and I love Victoria Falls.

How many glowing ice cubes do you own now? I think we are up to about 5. Lol.

Mickey light looks great. Tell Jason he did a good job.

Happy Anniversary!!!

I think we only have around 3. They get lost after awhile. 

I'll let Jason know about the light! I can't wait to see it with the base Tom got us. 

And thanks!

There is something wrong with your post. I'll let you figure it out.

OMG!!! That's got to be the worst auto fill mistake ever. In going to change it before a kid reads it.

I'm sending a PM to all the fairies right now.

Thanks

Thanks fairies. That was fast.

In glad you changed it before a kid or a lady read that.

Well darn I missed it!

That was quick. Good job fairies. I may have sprayed coffee in a very fine mist while reading that Ray.

You have my email.... I'll be looking for the typo

I'll text it to you.

OK, what did I miss?!?!? You guys have me curious! Ray, text me too! 

Let’s get Day 2 started. It was Easter and Jason and our 12th anniversary. This was a planned Fort day for 2 reasons. First, Mr. GDF is not as crazy as me and doesn’t do holidays in theme parks. Second, the Fort plans lots of fun activities.

This was our 3rd Easter at the Fort, so we knew pretty much knew what to expect. The morning starts with a character meet/greet and a candy scramble.

We hopped on the cart and headed to the pool area, where the activities had moved this year.

Some folks on our loop had some pretty Easter decorations.

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

We parked the cart and headed towards the candy scramble. I heard my name and low and behold, it was Shawn AKA GAFortFans and family. Shawn’s a Dawg fan and uses a Canon camera, so he and Jason hit it off. We chatted with them while we checked things out.

You might be wondering what a candy scramble is. I know I did before our first trip. Basically, the CMs make pictures using different colors of candy. There are different sections for various age groups. The first year we came, there was no theme. In 2013, the theme was Brave. This year’s theme was Up.

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

This picture was my favorite.

IMG_3140.jpg

Look at all the candy in the balloons.

IMG_3146.jpg

I started chatting with the CMs making the house. I told the lady in charge that we’d come for Easter 3 times, and that her picture was my favorite of all I’d seen. She hugged me. It turns out she’d been working on it since 5 AM, first alone and then with help. The CMs volunteer to do these and apparently aren’t given special training. I also found out that CMs actually sort all of the candy into colors; it’s not purchased that way.

I think the CMs do an awesome job and love that Disney does the candy scrambles that show off their CM’s creativity.

Before the scramble, Thumper arrived. Z believes that Thumper is the Easter bunny. And I let him believe that because it’s awesome.

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

Family Easter photo

IMG_3152.jpg

After meeting Thumper, it was time to get on the rope for Z’s section. While we were waiting, we started chatting with a family next to us. They were tent camping and had discovered FF.net on the way down from Atlanta. They even recognized my screen name. They said the site was very useful and that that’s how they had found out about the Easter activities.

We’re still waiting when a lady approaches me. She asked if I was Kelly, and I said yes. She wanted me to know that she reads and loves my TR here on the site. She always reads but doesn’t comment. She showed me her family, all in blue, across the way and we waved. That’s right people. I’m pretty much a celebrity. I’m getting recognized like I’m someone cool like TCD. But family in blue… here’s your chance! Register and comment on my TR. Please! There’s even a thread here where lurkers who post can win a prize. There’s never been a better time to officially join the party.

OK, back to the candy scramble.

The crowd was building, and it was almost time. We prepped Z, stuff like, “If you love Mommy and Daddy, you’ll be sure to get some of those gold Reece’s cups and red Jolly Ranchers.”

IMG_3156.jpg

They counted down and… BAM!

IMG_3157.jpg

Chaos!

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

There are a million kids! But there’s even more candy. Seriously, it’s insane. The kids all fill their buckets, and there’s still candy left. In hindsight, I should have brought multiple buckets, and Z could have collected Halloween candy for all the Fiends that will be at the Fort.

In all that excitement, I missed this guy coming out.

IMG_3162.jpg

It’s Musket Mickey, or Frontier Mickey, or whatever his real name is. All I know is that’s the Fort Wilderness Mickey. We’d met him before with Minnie 3 years ago. Two years ago, we got in line and he was swapped out just before we met him. Jerks. The line was already pretty long, but we decided to try. How often do you get to meet Mickey when he’s in the best costume he owns? CMs started coming around prepping us that he might be switched out before we met him. But we stayed put.

I started to stress as it got down to less than 5 minutes. But….

We got to meet him!

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

Winning!  

As we were walking back to the cart, there was a family in front of us, and I thought I recognized the man. I decided just to ask if he was who I thought he was, and it was. It was Rick AKA Itch here on FF.net. He doesn’t most much here, but we’d met them 2 years before on the playground. It turns out that Rick works for Jason’s favorite craft brewery, so they became instant friends chatting about beer. We made plans to get together for a drink at some point on the trip.

They headed to the scavenger hunt, but we decided to go back to the RV to get ready for some pool time.

We’ll head to the Meadow’s Pool in the next update!

Hmmm.... I might have said too much. I can give you all the details in a PM if you want. Let's focus on how awesome the service is though. I don't want them getting the boot. 

You don't need to send the PM, I catch your drift.

So, what Brandy said is right- claiming to be an Uber driver will apparently gain you access to a resort.  I'm sure the pool freeloaders already have this one in their bags of tricks.  Somebody should tell Kenny that he needs to become an Uber driver.

Those Disney Security Guards sure do a great job keeping out the riff-raff.

TCD

I have a comment, then a question, then a comment.

First, that was a great post!  I was at the MK the day before this, and have been to the Fort around Easter time before, but have never been there on Easter Sunday or personally seen a candy scramble.  You have some great photos.

Now the question:  Did Z deliver on the requests for Reese's and Jolly Ranchers?

And, the last comment:

We’re still waiting when a lady approaches me. She asked if I was Kelly, and I said yes. She wanted me to know that she reads and loves my TR here on the site. She always reads but doesn’t comment. She showed me her family, all in blue, across the way and we waved. That’s right people. I’m pretty much a celebrity. I’m getting recognized like I’m someone cool like TCD.

I say that you're not like someone cool, you are someone cool.

That's pretty awesome that so many people recognized you. 

Now, some of you lurkers ought to hop in and comment!

TCD