Westward Ho! To Disneyland We Go!!!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I decided to go ahead and get started on this trip report.   Some preamble. We always have wanted to do something special for our 25th Anniversary, and years ago we evened dreamed about visiting the D

After World of Color, we waited on the crowds to disperse, then wandered to DTD for some Earl of Sandwich. I had found a Groupon for $10 worth for $5, and was able to buy two coupons, so dinner was pr

By the way...who is this Westward Ho you are speaking of? :rofl3:

Bubba Gump's...that place looks super cute :)   I'm not a seafood person, but Tom likes it so we'd probably have to stop in!!  Weather and hotel both look nice!  Excited to hear the rest :)

It is fun!! We love the movie, so enjoy seeing the "stuff"

The shrimp feast looks excellent.

I wish we were somewhere with all that sun.

Rainouts rule the day here.

As I said before, the food was good, and we had a good time.

That sky and weather is beautiful and why SoCal is so expensive. Great looking hotel. And great location. Wish that hotel was redone before our last visit. We would have stayed there. Instead we were jut south of you at the Embassy Suites. We had to take a shuttle to Disney were you got to walk. Lucky! Did you have a room facing the parks? Great pix. Keep em coming.

Yes, the weather has been awesome, EXCEPT, you need long sleeves after dark, even in the summer. Yes, it's an easy walk (and an even easier scooter ride). Yes our room does face the parks, fireworks view from our window :)

Bubba Gump looks like a neat place to eat, and that shrimp looks delicious.

We enjoyed it :)

It's a dreary, rainy Monday here.  Seeing beautiful blue sky and palm trees is wonderful. 

Oh and all that delicious shrimp.  :)

I've heard we've had REALLY nasty weather at home too

Looks like you've had a good start. My uncle's pathology lab used to be on Katella. It's been years since I've been in that area and from the little bit you've shown it appears to have change quite a bit.

It changes all the time. The area has changed a bunch even since I was here in 2008.

We usually go to Bubba Gump when we are in Gatlinburg.

Did they do the trivia questions there too?

Yes, they did, and we nailed em!!

Solid middle of page 3 bragging rights for me.

I'm glad that you like the hotel.  That's where we almost stayed in December, until a better deal on a closer hotel popped up.

I'm also glad to hear that you're enjoying great weather.  I hope that continues for you.

Have you ever eaten at the Bubba Gump's at Universal Studios in Florida?  I imagine they're the same.

Keep it coming.

TCD

The weather has been amazing!! No, we haven't visited Bubba Gumps in Orlando, so far we've been to NASCAR Cafe, Jimmy Buffets, and Emerils over there.

That sounds way too responsible.  

:D

Sometimes responsible must be done.

I can't tell you how excited I am for a paved driveway. Winter will be so much better. Worth giving up the AP

Sorry to hear about the AP, but happy about the driveway!! Concrete is EXPENSIVE!!

Great TR so far . Also been to Gumps in Gatlinburg Fun town we have a family reunion there every summer .

I'm 52 !

NTM

Sounds like lots of folks enjoy Bubba Gumps

Absolutely.  

Shoveling a dirt or gravel driveway SMB.  

And moving Maria around will be easier. 

I can't imagine moving a camper around without concrete

It's update time again!!

We have arrived at Disney!!

IMG_0509.jpg

We got our tickets set up, and decided to go into Disneyland just to look around

IMG_0511.jpg

The Disneyland castle has an actual walkthrough

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Now, we're just wandering again

The Matterhorn, but it's been closed the whole time

IMG_0522.jpg

Disneyland Monorails look much cooler than WDWs

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

Nemo Subs!!

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Disneyland has their Jedi Training Camp in Tomorrowland

IMG_0535.jpg

This place used to house Carousel of Progress, then Innoventions, and now it's completely closed, not sure what's coming next (if anything)

IMG_0536.jpg

Pizza!

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Sunset over Tomorrowland

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Disneyland still has a Main Street Theater

IMG_0549.jpg

Photo limit

The bench is cool.

Matterhorn closed is not cool.

The monorails do look cool.

The squatty castle was cool for Walt's first try but totally uncool compared to Cindy's place in Florida.

The picture of Walt walking in front of the castle is always cool.

The update was, well, cool.

Oh...too bad that the bobsleds were closed :(  Man... I miss the submarine ride!  LOVE the pictures of Walt and Family (do they have the picture of mama reading and Walt on the phone at WDW?  If not, I must remember it from DL).  I remember Andrew mentioning this in his TR, but the castle does seem so small after spending so much time in WDW.  Funny how I never thought that growing up (went to DL many times as a child/young adult before moving to GA)

Looks like you all had some more beautiful weather...yay! :)

I believe that the Matterhorn is closed because they are getting a new Yeti in there for the 60th anniversary.  Disneyland gets all the good stuff and we get Magic Bands.

TCD

Oh sure, but will it be a Disco Yeti?  8)

Really great photos, Carol!!  I especially loved this one...

IMG_0542.jpg

Oh sure, but will it be a Disco Yeti?  B)

No, I think they will get a working Yeti, and it won't look like Olaf:

First, a Disneyland park favorite is about to get even better as new effects are being added to Matterhorn Bobsleds. Just wait until you see the Abominable Snowman in ways you’ve never seen him before when the attraction reopens in May!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/04/bringing-new-magic-to-matterhorn-bobsleds-and-peter-pans-flight-at-disneyland-park/

TCD

Those are aome great pix.

That's SMB that the Matterhorn was closed your whole trip.

I love nemo subs.

Yes it did SMB, since Matterhorn is unique to DL. 

I love the picture of the park bench. How cool is that?

It is VERY cool, I'm a Walt geek, so anything they show about Walt, I just drink it in :)

Too bad about the bobsleds.  I imagine you've ridden them before....I would be disappointed to miss them as I've never been to DL.

It was disappointing

We love staying at Hotel Indigo in Athens. Very nice place! 

Loving the report so far and the weather. It's been raining since we got home from DW. 

We really like this hotel!

Hope the weather stays great for your entire trip.  It's been very rainy here too.  I'm ready for some sunshine.

The weather has been awesome!! It was cloudy and a little chilly today, but not a drop of rain!

The bench is cool.

Matterhorn closed is not cool.

The monorails do look cool.

The squatty castle was cool for Walt's first try but totally uncool compared to Cindy's place in Florida.

The picture of Walt walking in front of the castle is always cool.

The update was, well, cool.

There are definitely differences in DL, but the differences make it unique!

One reason why I wanted to stay in S.Calif when I got discharged, but Grandma said no.

Although the weather is nice, the traffic is insane!!! Plus, the prices!!!

Oh...too bad that the bobsleds were closed :(  Man... I miss the submarine ride!  LOVE the pictures of Walt and Family (do they have the picture of mama reading and Walt on the phone at WDW?  If not, I must remember it from DL).  I remember Andrew mentioning this in his TR, but the castle does seem so small after spending so much time in WDW.  Funny how I never thought that growing up (went to DL many times as a child/young adult before moving to GA)

Looks like you all had some more beautiful weather...yay! :)

I've never seen that family picture anywhere at WDW

I believe that the Matterhorn is closed because they are getting a new Yeti in there for the 60th anniversary.  Disneyland gets all the good stuff and we get Magic Bands.

TCD

That would be cool. I actually hope we can make another quick weekend trip before the AP expires

A CM at DL told me they can't have magic bands because of Harbor Blvd. I am not sure she even knew what a magic band was.

LOL. Lots of the CMs here don't even know WHAT Magic Bands are.

Oh sure, but will it be a Disco Yeti?  B)

Really great photos, Carol!!  I especially loved this one...

IMG_0542.jpg

That one did turn out neat :)

No, I think they will get a working Yeti, and it won't look like Olaf:

First, a Disneyland park favorite is about to get even better as new effects are being added to Matterhorn Bobsleds. Just wait until you see the Abominable Snowman in ways you’ve never seen him before when the attraction reopens in May!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/04/bringing-new-magic-to-matterhorn-bobsleds-and-peter-pans-flight-at-disneyland-park/

TCD

Neat!

Well, it's our last night here, nothing left to do but head for the airport tomorrow. So I'm going to give another update.

April 15, 2015

We slept REALLY well the night before. We had a very long day with little sleep the night before, so glad we didn't really plan a lot for arrival day.

We had breakfast at the hotel before heading out.

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Breakfast was expensive there at the hotel, so we didn't eat there any more, but..... we didn't have much luck price wise at other places either.

I took a few pictures around the pool area.

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

Now we're heading for the park

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

Almost there

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Some of the other establishments on Harbor

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

We actually rented a 2nd ECV for the week. With one of us riding and one walking, it really slows us down, especially in between the park and the hotel. We had stopped at one place advertised on the way the night before, but we didn't like his price. We decided to google some places online, and found a place just past the DL entrance for half of what the other guy wanted. I'm really hoping to get rid of the ECVs completely in the future. Rick did great at Halloween, but now one of his knees is acting up and he's getting that replaced in May. After he's released from this next surgery, we are making a commitment to both get healthier. I can also tell I'm not feeling as good as I should.

So today, we're heading back to Disneyland. It is NOT an early entry day.

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

We rode Buzz this day

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

Buzz%20Lightyear.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg