Globetrotting: to Disneyland Paris and back with TCD

Well I am finally caught up I had gotten a few days behind. I never new Florida didn't have dandelions. They have been in my yard my whole life and Miley loves to pick them. Sorry your girls missed that. But they grew up next to Disney world so yall win.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is comforting to me that even though I have been gone from FF a lot, and have missed out on so much, your selfies still suck.  The familiarity of it makes me feel right at home.   Carry on.

I agree with Dave. I bet salami and cheese were on the menu. Although if she was waving that stuff around I'm sure you would have accepted. Or maybe she assumed you had already had your horse grill yo

Did you try the cinnamon rolls at that quaint little coffee shop?  

The place looks like a ghost town... sad. 

DLP doesn't look as exciting as I'd hoped. 

I have to agree... not that impressed with the Paris version of the Fort.  Of course, we Fiends know that there's "no place like home" :)

BTW, I just priced that fancy DLP hotel on Travelocity.  For what one week there would cost the two of us, we could stay at the Fort for nearly three months!

Hmmm.... mercy, not even close!  Why would anyone pass up, three months at the Fort?!!  I, of course, know you would not ;)

When you first left for your morning stroll did you notice, at least according to your pictures, that you were the only one to pull into your cabin. Eveyone else backed in, kind of creepy really. Have you ever watched the show Lost? For whatever reason I get a Lost feeling as you tour us around. Creepy.

I had read somewhere (blame the interweb) that drivers in most other countries back into places when they arrive.  It makes it easier to leave when you have to pull out into traffic especially if a lot of people are trying to leave at the same time like after a show/movie.

I had read somewhere (blame the interweb) that drivers in most other countries back into places when they arrive.  It makes it easier to leave when you have to pull out into traffic especially if a lot of people are trying to leave at the same time like after a show/movie.

I tend to do this at movie theaters and such.

I tend to do this at movie theaters and such.

I do it when there is likely to be people walking behind my car- especially little ones (school pickups) so that I can see better when I go to leave.

Having withdrawals ... hoping TCD posts an update tomorrow!

So sorry. Twin #1 had some business to take care of in Orlando today, so I joined her and we hit DHS for the last Star Wars Weekend. The bad news is no updates today, the good news is there will be bonus content, with lots of photos of SWW guests, and even some Fort photos.

TCD

Wow, Andrew, what a fantastic report. Just when I thought you had pretty well locked in the #2 Greatest Report of All Time with that Disneyland report, you land this one.

(The #1 Report of All Time was that one by that guy who broke into River Country all those years ago...whoever that was...that one will likely remain untouched for all time...like the Miami Dolphins Perfect Season)

Anyway, great stuff. Not crazy about the Europe stuff. Mrs. Troll and I have been there, done that, and now dislike Europeans very much. Or, well, I do. I shouldn't speak for Mrs. Troll. She's nicer than I am. I don't like Europeans with their $7 thimble of orange juice and their $12 Cokes served at room temperature.

But the DLP stuff is classic. You can't take your eyes away.

Staying at the Fort knockoff thing was epic. Congrats. I bet that was a thrill for you.

More pictures are coming of that, hopefully?

And is it me or does everything at DLP look...small? Like, not up to Disney's grand-ness? I mean, don't get me wrong, the place looks great and all, but it just looks...small. Even the snack shacks look small and unfinished.

But that's just me.

Looking forward to more.

I found this UK website. It looks like the Trapper and Pioneer cabins are based on distance to the village and the Premium give you additional amenities like a bath robe, a free bottle of water daily and wired internet access. Which makes me wonder why they didn't offer you an option to upgrade to get wired access when they couldn't meet the WiFi need?

http://www.magicbreaks.co.uk/Disney-Hotels/Disneys-Davy-Crockett-Ranch/Rooms/

I'm wondering if those different cabins with the concrete patios might be handicapped accessible.  

BTW, I just priced that fancy DLP hotel on Travelocity.  For what one week there would cost the two of us, we could stay at the Fort for nearly three months!

That's a good guess, but I will be taking a closer look at  one of these cabins in a bit, and it had steps that you had to walk up to get to the deck and entrance.  So, I don't think they're built to be accessible to disabled guests.

I am shocked at what they quote to stay at the Disneyland Hotel.  I can't believe that there are enough guests willing to pay those prices, but apparently there are.

This is my new favorite phrase!

Enjoy.

When you first left for your morning stroll did you notice, at least according to your pictures, that you were the only one to pull into your cabin. Eveyone else backed in, kind of creepy really. Have you ever watched the show Lost? For whatever reason I get a Lost feeling as you tour us around. Creepy.

No, I didn't notice that.  I don't think people do this at the cabins at Fort Wilderness.  I didn't feel like the parking spaces were angled for that.  Strange.

The place looks like a ghost town... sad. 

DLP doesn't look as exciting as I'd hoped. 

Yeah, it was kind of sad.

DLP just doesn't have the same Disney vibe as WDW or Disneyland in California.  It seems like it was built with the best of intentions, and then has slowly been neglected.

It's not awful, but it's just not as magical as the US parks.

Well I am finally caught up I had gotten a few days behind. I never new Florida didn't have dandelions. They have been in my yard my whole life and Miley loves to pick them. Sorry your girls missed that. But they grew up next to Disney world so yall win.

It looks like I was wrong about Florida not having dandelions.

But, I've never had any in my yard, nor have I seen them in my neighbors yards, or in anyplace that I have ever lived in Florida.

I have to agree... not that impressed with the Paris version of the Fort.  Of course, we Fiends know that there's "no place like home" :)

Hmmm.... mercy, not even close!  Why would anyone pass up, three months at the Fort?!!  I, of course, know you would not ;)

Yup, there's no place like home, and no matter how nice that hotel is, there's no way it's worth it.

That could be true of Europe in general, but nobody was backed into the spaces in the big Disneyland parking lot.

Wow, Andrew, what a fantastic report. Just when I thought you had pretty well locked in the #2 Greatest Report of All Time with that Disneyland report, you land this one.

(The #1 Report of All Time was that one by that guy who broke into River Country all those years ago...whoever that was...that one will likely remain untouched for all time...like the Miami Dolphins Perfect Season)

Anyway, great stuff. Not crazy about the Europe stuff. Mrs. Troll and I have been there, done that, and now dislike Europeans very much. Or, well, I do. I shouldn't speak for Mrs. Troll. She's nicer than I am. I don't like Europeans with their $7 thimble of orange juice and their $12 Cokes served at room temperature.

But the DLP stuff is classic. You can't take your eyes away.

Staying at the Fort knockoff thing was epic. Congrats. I bet that was a thrill for you.

More pictures are coming of that, hopefully?

And is it me or does everything at DLP look...small? Like, not up to Disney's grand-ness? I mean, don't get me wrong, the place looks great and all, but it just looks...small. Even the snack shacks look small and unfinished.

But that's just me.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks, Norm.  I didn't come away from this trip hating Europe or Europeans, but I did come back with a new appreciation for the good old USA, and WDW to boot.

Yes, there will be much more Davy Crockett Ranch photos.  I will be finishing my morning rounds in the next update, but I will be doing some more exploring in the afternoon, and there was another set of morning rounds the next day.

You are correct that the DLP parks are smaller than the WDW parks.  Geographically, they may be larger than the Disneyland California parks, but there are much fewer attractions than at WDW or Disneyland California.   The castle at DLP is impressive, though.

I found this UK website. It looks like the Trapper and Pioneer cabins are based on distance to the village and the Premium give you additional amenities like a bath robe, a free bottle of water daily and wired internet access. Which makes me wonder why they didn't offer you an option to upgrade to get wired access when they couldn't meet the WiFi need?

http://www.magicbreaks.co.uk/Disney-Hotels/Disneys-Davy-Crockett-Ranch/Rooms/

Thanks.  If that information is accurate, then the price increases between the cabin levels are crazy.  This is what the DLP website quotes for a two night stay for two guests (three day park hoppers are included in the price) :

dcr%20cabin%20types_zpsqbkfcrv6.jpg

If the only difference between the Trapper and Pioneer cabins is that the Pioneer cabins are closer to Davy's Village, then there's no way that's worth another $42 a day.  For what?  More than half the stuff in the village was closed.

And it's another $74 a night to get a robe and bottle of water?  Are they nuts?

And, why isn't this information on their own stupid website?  How are guests supposed to know what their options are and what they're paying for?

I'm glad that I stuck with the Trapper cabin.

TCD

Not sure about where you live but in Orlando we have loads of dandelions. Maybe they don't grow near saltwater?

We've let our yard go "au natural" that's French for weeds. And we have them big time!

We have them in Fort Meade also

Hmmm.

This is very interesting to me, as I've driven all over the state over the past nearly 40 years, and have never seen dandelions growing anywhere.  I've never had any in my yard, nor have I ever seen them in any neighbor's yard.  I've never seen them anywhere on WDW property.

TCD

Yeah, it was kind of sad.

DLP just doesn't have the same Disney vibe as WDW or Disneyland in California.  It seems like it was built with the best of intentions, and then has slowly been neglected.

It's not awful, but it's just not as magical as the US parks.

Here's the interesting thing -- DLP outdraws Universal! And back in 2009, DLP outdrew Epcot! Attendance actually looks pretty good, according to the "official" (i.e., Wikipedia) gate numbers. And in 2008 and 2009, the place was a powerhouse.

Here's the interesting thing -- DLP outdraws Universal! And back in 2009, DLP outdrew Epcot! Attendance actually looks pretty good, according to the "official" (i.e., Wikipedia) gate numbers. And in 2008 and 2009, the place was a powerhouse.

That's hard to believe.  I think they had a 20th anniversary celebration, which is when the fireworks show debuted.  That was in 2012 though.  I would have thought attendance would be down in 2008 and 2009.

Yay for bonus content!  But it has been looooong weekend!  (Hint, hint!)

Hang in there.

It won't be long.

TCD

Let's get this report moving again.

We left off with my early morning look around the Davy' Village area.  Now we're going to walk back to the 200 loop.

Here we go, past the nice flowers:

5%2013%2014%20620_zpsoonaxnvd.jpg

There's those azalea/rhododendrons or whatever they are, again:

5%2013%2014%20621_zpsdrzjjpzg.jpg

Here's a bench in the woods with no apparent purpose.  It looks like the area that it's sitting in was once a clearing, but it's getting overgrown again:

5%2013%2014%20622_zpsxezgsolo.jpg

The path looks exactly the same whether you're coming or going:

5%2013%2014%20623_zpsdgdxljkx.jpg

I got back to the 200 loop just a couple of minutes before 7:30, and I think I was the first customer to stop at the breakfast hut.  A nice young lady in there took my breakfast vouchers, and asked me many questions in French.  I was surprised that she could not speak English, and I think she was only acting like she couldn't so she could amuse herself by holding up various items and asking if I wanted them.  Despite the fake language barrier, I left there with a bag full of food, which I brought back to the cabin:

5%2013%2014%20624_zpspfebbikd.jpg

I was curious to see what I had in the bag, and I figured maybe someone reading along would be too, so I took everything out and spread it out for a photo:

5%2013%2014%20625_zps88ubfbaa.jpg

From the left, you can see that there a packets of butter, jelly and nutella.  Then some boxes of milk, and some packets of coffee and sugar.  Then two cans of OJ, and two baguettes and croissants, and some containers of apple sauce.  I had vouchers for this, but the out of pocket cost is 9 euros a person, which was $10.16 at the exchange rate during our trip.  So, that bag full of stuff would be $20.32.  I think that's a bit steep. But, that's Disney for you.

Just like our hotel rooms in Dublin and London, they had one of those electric kettles in the cabin (also note that I had to provide my own curtain for the kitchen window to shield us from the leering Frenchmen next door) :

5%2013%2014%20626_zpssag8dboo.jpg

I was able to figure out how to use the electric kettle without instructions in our prior lodging, but Disney thinks of everything:

5%2013%2014%20627_zpssez4xlbb.jpg

It's interesting that the instructions were only in English.  Maybe it's only Brits who use these?

They had Extra Magic Hours for resort guests starting at 8 am at the Disneyland park only.  But, we couldn't pick up our breakfast until 7:30.  We could have taken the bag in the car with us and eaten on the way, but with as much as we got done the night before, we didn't rush to get to the park at 8.  We took our time and enjoyed our carbolicious breakfast.

There was no traffic on my drive to the big parking lot, and it really wasn't busy at all when we got there.  Again, the only resort guests who drive are probably the Davy Crockett Ranch guests. 

We were about halfway through our long walk to the park entrance when I took this photo at 8:49 am looking at the Disney Village.  We beat the street vendors here.  We beat everybody here:

5%2013%2014%20628_zps9dsh6ein.jpg

That's the movie theater we're looking at.  To the left of it in the photo is the entrance to the Wild West dinner show they have.  They really promote that, and maybe we should have given it a try. It sounds a lot like that Dolly Parton Stampede thing that used to be in Orlando.  In the center, you can see a big ad for a movie called: "A la Poursuite du Demain"  Plug that into Google Translate and the title translates to "A Continuation of Tomorrow."  It's weird that the French apparently have some kind of problem just saying Tomorrowland.  Also of note is that the movie opened here on May 20th, but didn't open in the US until May 22.

Here's a look back at the big train station that we arrived in yesterday.  I will need to go in there later today to figure out how we will get to Paris when we leave tomorrow afternoon:

5%2013%2014%20629_zpsuns4ufsd.jpg

It was very uncrowded heading in to the park:

5%2013%2014%20630_zpsayyuxdtq.jpg

5%2013%2014%20631_zps6p2xzdmg.jpg

I like the gazebo, but I prefer our American flag:

5%2013%2014%20632_zpsyglbgjne.jpg

We headed through the castle to Fantasyland.  Only Fantasyland and Discoveryland are open for EMH:

5%2013%2014%20633_zpsziv6jlae.jpg

At this point, we were one hour in to the two hour EMH.  The park wouldn't open to the outside world until 10 am.  No one was here:

5%2013%2014%20634_zpsnzbvzcpg.jpg

5%2013%2014%20635_zpsnmbaykx7.jpg

Here's the list of attractions in Fantasyland:

001_zpspbitoghg.jpg

And the map of that part of the park:

004_zpsdfgnonem.jpg

We wanted to do the Snow White ride, but it was closed.

So we tried Pinocchio:

5%2013%2014%20637_zpsvdzgjfig.jpg

They have a Pinocchio dark ride at Disneyland California.  This one isn't quite as nice as that one.

Then we rode Peter Pan.  It's nicer than the WDW one, but not as nice as Disneyland California's.

Next, we wanted to ride the canal boats and the Casey Junior train, but those weren't open yet either.  This EMH wasn't very extra or very magic.  We did enjoy this photo op:

5%2013%2014%20638_zpsvhpdftzp.jpg

So, we're back here in Fantasyland to ride rides, and nothing is open.  Small World was, so we rode it again.

That's not London Bridge:

5%2013%2014%20639_zpsdr4oanme.jpg

You probably can't tell, but that's Aladdin up there on that bridge:

5%2013%2014%20641_zpsac6oluhy.jpg

There's our cowboy and horse friends again:

5%2013%2014%20643_zpsp1jbpxzf.jpg

There's Lady Liberty keeping watch over the Golden Gate bridge and the Hollywood sign- just like she does in real life:

5%2013%2014%20644_zpskbkwqzuz.jpg

EMH was a fail in Fantasyland.  I'm glad we didn't break our necks to get there.

Next, we wanted to check out Discoveryland, so we headed that way.

This fountain is pretty:

5%2013%2014%20646_zpsnkuo0shd.jpg

Here's a look down Main Street from the castle entrance- I do like the openness of their hub area, and I think this is what they have been working toward at the MK:

5%2013%2014%20647_zpsfghdlzq4.jpg

We stopped here in the hub to check out the Discoveryland list of attractions and map:

003_zpsybg3v0qm.jpg

005_zpshkwrpvbv.jpg

Of the things on that list, the only things that were open were the Orbitron (a clone of Astro Orbiters, but on ground level), Star Tours and Autopia.  That's it- Space Mountain and the Nautilus attraction were down for refurbishment, and there were no shows scheduled in the two theaters.  And the way things went in Fantasyland, who knows if some of those other attractions were closed for EMH too?

So, instead, we decided to head over to Disney Studios. They didn't open until 10, but we could be there for rope drop and ride some of the things that were on our "must do" list over there.

We are headed that way next.

TCD

Whoah! Stop the train! Study this photo:

5%2013%2014%20639_zpsdr4oanme.jpg

Is it my imagination or did the Imagineers actually create a scene where the draw bridge is opening while a busload of children is going over it?!?

WTF?!

How did this design become a reality?! Why do all the kids on the bus look happy?! Why aren't they screaming in terror?

I think you should have gone to the front desk and asked for the full instructions for the kettle.

It reminds me of a story my friend told me. After her grandmother died they were going through her house and she had saved the instructions for everything, including her bath mat. Yes, her bath mat.

I'm curious whether the French speaking breakfast girl offered you cheese and salami of some kind?  Most European breakfasts I've seen that had baguettes had cheese and salami too.  Maybe she offered it but you couldn't understand her.  Cause that is a somewhat strange looking breakfast, even by Euro standards.  

Furthermore, I know it's been said previously (but I've been offline a lot)....that place just looks sad.  The Davy Crockett ranch resembles an unkempt state park. what with the weeds growing around benches, the Path of UnAwesomeness, and the general look of disrepair.  Disney should be ashamed.  If for no other reason, they should be keeping the place up simply to entice all the Europeans to spend their annual vacation allowance on a trip to Florida where they could drop some serious coin.  If that place gave me my primary impression of the Walt Disney Company, I'd be spending my future Euros elsewhere.  

I agree with Dave. I bet salami and cheese were on the menu. Although if she was waving that stuff around I'm sure you would have accepted. Or maybe she assumed you had already had your horse grill you up some hot dogs.