Globetrotting: to Disneyland Paris and back with TCD

I was in a Disney store in Charlotte today and they had very little adult merchandise -- just one table of T-shirts.  Was it the same at Harrods?

I didn't think about it at the time, but I'll say yes.  I don't remember there being any adult t-shirts there.  I'm sure there must have been some, but it was definitely mostly kid's stuff.

TCD

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is comforting to me that even though I have been gone from FF a lot, and have missed out on so much, your selfies still suck.  The familiarity of it makes me feel right at home.   Carry on.

I agree with Dave. I bet salami and cheese were on the menu. Although if she was waving that stuff around I'm sure you would have accepted. Or maybe she assumed you had already had your horse grill yo

Did you try the cinnamon rolls at that quaint little coffee shop?  

Before we leave London, I thought it might help to put things in context about what we're about to see next.

The two big places that my DD wanted to see on this trip were London and Paris.  There was a possibility that she would be starting a new job right when she got back, and we needed to leave time for her to move out of her apartment in Auburn and get to wherever it is that she might be going, so 9-10 days was the longest this trip could be.

When we got to discussing how long to spend in each city, we decided that it made sense to give each city equal time.  Initially, DD was on the fence about Disneyland Paris.  I definitely wanted to see it, if possible.  She wasn't so sure. But her sisters got to work on her, and she agreed we might as well make a day trip there.  I was interested in making it more than a day trip, so I tried to price some of the hotels there, and figure out the logistics of how to get there and back.

After a difficult time with the Disneyland Paris website, I reached out to that travel agent extraordinaire, Jason, to see if he could help me.  He's the man, you know.  Jason jumped right in, and did some checking, and gave me some prices on a couple of options.  But, those prices were a lot more than what I wanted to spend.  Jason said that was the best any US based travel agent could do, and I believe him.  So, I put the idea of staying at Disneyland Paris on hold, and focused on finding a hotel in Paris for the days we would be there.  We could still make a day trip to Disneyland Paris.

But, my DD knew that a day trip wasn't going to be enough for me, so she encouraged me to keep looking for a way for us to go.  I researched Disneyland Paris deals on line and found that the official site offers deals to guests based on their country of residence.  They offer better deals to UK residents than they do to US residents.  Why, I don't know, but that's how it is.  There are some sites that advocate logging in as a UK resident and booking a deal that way.  I wasn't sure how that would work if I didn't have a UK address to use for the booking.  And, I didn't want to arrive in Paris only to find out my booking was no good.  So, I kept looking.  Another thing I heard was that sites like Travelocity and Expedia will offer deals on Disneyland Paris bookings.  I tried those, and low and behold a deal came up.

Disneyland Paris is a lot smaller than WDW.  It just had two parks. But, it has six on-site hotels.  And a campground.  Well, you can't actually camp at the campground.  It's all cabins.  The campground is called Davy Crockett Ranch, and that's where I wanted to go.

So, that's what I booked.  For two nights.

There are a lot of drawbacks to Davy Crockett Ranch.

Like, it's a few miles away from the parks, and they don't provide transportation.

So, you have to rent a car.

But, still, I had to go and see it with my own eyes.

I studied the area on Google Maps.

Look at this entrance:

dc%20ranch%20entrance%20google_zps9g1jmj

How epic would it be for me to have my photo taken standing beneath that arch?

Do you see who's on there?

Mickey.

With his Musket!

We had to go.

So, that's the plan- we will be taking the Eurostar train directly from London to Disneyland Paris, where I will rent a car, and drive in a foreign country to Davy Crockett Ranch.  We will stay there for two nights, see what we can see in the parks, then turn the car back in and hop a train to finish out our trip with two nights in real Paris.

Who's with me?

TCD

I'd do it that way too.  Driving in foreign countries doesn't scare me.  And really....with Musket Mickey, how could you NOT stay there?  But it is quite curious....we live in a country with a Constitutional Right to bear arms, and yet Mickey isn't allowed to carry a gun.  And yet in France, they are afraid of even holding a gun (as evidence I present the Nazi invasion of France), but there is Mickey in all of his Musket wielding glory.  

We live in a strange world.  

Now you have me wondering where you might be thinking of.

If it's Harry Potter's house, or anything to do with wizards, then you are going to be disappointed.

TCD

My daughter and her boyfriend went to Kings Cross Station and found Platform 9 3/4 where the Hogwarts Express left to go to Hogwarts Academy in Harry Potter.

Me!!!!     :smiley-raising-waving-hand:

Good job!  Thanks for sticking with me.

Awesome

Just wait.

Very cool! You are braver than I though. I dream of going to DL Paris, but because of the car thing, won't even consider the Davy Crocket Ranch. Hotel Sante Fe for me if/when we go.

I was a little apprehensive about renting a car and driving.  It turns out that it was a piece of cake.  Please read on.  I wouldn't rule out Davy Crockett Ranch just because of the renting a car thing.  But, I did see Hotel Santa Fe and its sister resort, Hotel Cheyenne, and those looked pretty nice too.

That is so cool. Who knew they had a campground?!?

I knew.  I've known for a long time.  And, truth be told, the chance to visit Davy Crockett Ranch was a big factor in me agreeing to this trip.

I'd do it that way too.  Driving in foreign countries doesn't scare me.  And really....with Musket Mickey, how could you NOT stay there?  But it is quite curious....we live in a country with a Constitutional Right to bear arms, and yet Mickey isn't allowed to carry a gun.  And yet in France, they are afraid of even holding a gun (as evidence I present the Nazi invasion of France), but there is Mickey in all of his Musket wielding glory.  

We live in a strange world.  

You raise a good point.  Speaking of strangeness, wait until you hear about some of the French laws and customs we encountered, and the irony we found in many of them.

I'm in for the campground, even the sign looks better with a Musket Mickey!!!!!!!

I really can't express how much I was looking forward to seeing Musket Mickey again.  Seriously, I wanted to see that sign more than I wanted to see the Eiffel Tower.

I'm with you!

Yay.  You can sit next to Marty in the front seat.

Waiting with bated breath.

Would you care for a breath mint?

A Campground at Disney Paris?  Who knew?

Seriously?  You didn't know this?  I knew and I knew Musket Mickey was there.  So I had to go.

This just keeps getting better and better.   Maybe the musket thing is their perception of USA everyone has a gun even Mickey.  

Hold that thought.  We saw a very good representation of how the French stereotype us once we rode a popular Disneyland attraction that evening.

TCD

I'm with you! Looking forward to all the pictures!

OK, but the front seat is full, you need to get in the back.  And don't forget to buckle up.

My daughter and her boyfriend went to Kings Cross Station and found Platform 9 3/4 where the Hogwarts Express left to go to Hogwarts Academy in Harry Potter.

Aha!  I thought it might have something to do with wizards.  I had heard about the photo op they have at the King's Cross station, and we actually were right there on our last morning, when we went to the St. Pancras station:

5%2013%2014%20220_zpslbab3lev.jpg

But, since we arrived via the Tube, we were already inside the station, and would have to exit to find the prop.  So, we passed.  Neither of us is that big a fan of Harry Potter, so it wasn't important to us.

I hope you bought the musket Mickey t-shirt.

Hold that thought.  We certainly did visit the Trading Post, and I have photos of what they had for sale there.

Ready for the wild car ride ! lol !! :rolleyes:

OK, hop in.  But I have to warn you:  it really wasn't all that wild.

TCD

Well now you are just messing with us. Crocketts tavern and a bike barn? Don't make me start googling

No need to Google.  You'll see it all right here.  I promise.

Oh, I can't wait to hear all about Davy Crockett's Ranch!  I might have to make more of an effort to get over to Paris just to see all this.

I assure you that you will hear more about Davy Crockett Ranch than you might like.  The first post with photos will be up next.

Next thing you'll tell us is that they have totem poles, right?  And little French otters that steal your bière?

That's an affirmative on the totem poles.  And, did I mention tee-pees and intact wagons?

There may be French otters, and if there are, I am sure they are thieves like many of their countrymen, but we did not see any.

:yaya-sisters-smiley:

Y'all better behave, or I'll have to move one of you to the back seat.

TCD