H and KFK's Fourth at the Fort AND BEYOND!!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No hijack can be complete without.......EYE CANDY!! :) You're welcome ladies!

Nothing wrong with Fox News - as long as you realize it ISN'T News; You don't think every word they say was engraved in stone by a finger; and you balance what you see there with other sources ...

Wow! I've never heard them say "Fox news... the #1 name in NOT the news." That would make an interesting slogan. :rofl2: If you go make sure to take notes, pics and share a good thorough report. :)

Have I mentioned I love Fox News? (don't hate me, Ed) :rofl2:

Nothing wrong with Fox News - as long as you realize it ISN'T News; You don't think every word they say was engraved in stone by a finger; and you balance what you see there with other sources ...

KFK-

I loved the first two installments of the bike ride of a lifetime.

I can't wait for the rest!

Great job!

Thank you.

I have some comments, too;

Dave-

As you know, I also love the TCD ranch!

Disney management recognized this by naming the ranch after me. Which is a little embarrassing sometimes. I mean, that is a lot of recognition.

Based on all that I have seen (and not seen), I think it is safe to say that the TCD ranch isn't going anywhere for a while. They have yet to break ground on the new stables, and there would be no reason to start any demolition of the existing ranch until the new facilities are up and running.

True. And good news too. I hope it never happens. But that's just me.

I wonder if anyone has ever requested 617 based on a TCD trip report?

I don't know. But I sure haven't! LOL!

I am pro-Stupid Judy!

We visited the Universe of Energy not long ago just to have something to do while we were waiting for a fastpass return time to come up.

That is one longgggg attraction!

But, it is amazing that they had Alex Trebeck, Ellen, and Jamie Lee Curtis in the video for the attraction, and that they have all managed to stay relevant over the years. But what about poor Bill Nye the Science Guy, whatever happened to him. He was such a big deal, and now where is he?

I am pro-Stupid Judy as well. Lil' H loves dinosaurs but he hates Dinosaur at AK. This is a good option for him.

Bill who?

TCD

bill nye occasionally showed up on Living with Ed on planet green but that was a few years back....

Planet what? Just kiddin'. I really have heard of it but I don't think I've ever seen any of the programming.

That may be me.

We have been the lucky recipients of a couple of those horseshoes over the years. They have prominent places in my daughters' rooms. And I bet someday they will pass them down to their kids...and maybe one of those kids will write a trip report on FF.net and include a pic of "my Mom's horseshoe"...kinda like a french fry basket!

Wow! You are lucky. How much luckier could you be than to get a genuine FW horseshoe, the most famous good luck symbol ever, from the actual FW blacksmith. I'm jealous. I guess I'll just have to be happy with mom's fry basket. I actually have the popcorn box from HS. It was the boys' first WDW popcorn.

I love the water slide pics. That's is another one of the many things we have not done at the fort yet. All the TCD pics are great. It's amazing how many things your pick up when you can take the time to look at detailed picks. I only have 1 month & 24 days left so keep the pics coming.

Thanks Steve. You'd better get with it man! Get on that slide!

You're right. The details at FW are fantastic if you have the time to notice them. For some reason I haven't been able to pay a lot of attention to detail over the past 8 years. I can't imagine why!? :rofl2:

Yes, good old Bill shows up regularly on Fox News. Have I mentioned I love Fox News? (don't hate me, Ed) :rofl2:

:worms: Here we go! LOL!

Oh Ed! We all know Fox is the #1 name in news. They say so every day.

Now go pop some popcorn... and be sure there's enough to share this time! ;)

The spin stops here. :rofl2:

Day 14 July 10. Yes, there’s more….

After a thorough look at the TCD Ranch and the Blacksmith Shop, I felt like wandering around a bit and just absorbing the atmosphere. You know, take it all in.

100_9212.jpg

Hmmm…. Purina must be a sponsor.

100_9213.jpg

100_9214.jpg

If you look closely you can see Bay Lake in the distance. Ahhh… what a tranquil getaway this is turning out to be!

100_9216.jpg

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times…

If WDW doesn’t want it photographed and posted online for all the world to see…

They’d better learn to hide it.

100_9217.jpg

I’m sure that the vantage point of this photo will be a dead giveaway to some of you as to which way I’m headed now.

100_9218.jpg

100_9219.jpg

A quick look back over my shoulder …

100_9221.jpg

100_9222.jpg

Nearly there…

100_9225.jpg

I know some of you guessed my next destination already.

For those of you are still aren’t sure….

100_9226.jpg

100_9228.jpg

Yep. That’s right. River Country.

This is my all time, hands down favorite place in all of Fort Wilderness.

Or should I say… it used to be back in the day.

My memories of River Country are among the most vivid of all memories I have of many, many, many years of WDW visits.

Here’s a shot of the dreaded green fence of shame.

100_9229.jpg

100_9230.jpg

100_9232.jpg

The shower/restroom facilities.

100_9234.jpg

Is that an orb? I don't even believe in orbs! Maybe there are disquieted ghosts in these here parts!

It would serve WDW right for closing this wonderful place! Hmmfff!

100_9235.jpg

100_9236.jpg

Now.

Here’s my favorite spot within my favorite spot in all of Fort Wilderness.

The dueling rock slides.

Our family spent hours going down these slides.

I’m not exaggerating at all.

I would race dad, dad would race bro, bro and I would race. Repeat over and over and over. Even KFM joined in.

100_9238.jpg

In fact, here’s a photo of KFDad right here. 1989

KSCN0017-4.jpg

There’s bro in the lower right corner of the photo.

KSCN0015-2.jpg

Memories like that are why this bike tour was so special to me.

But sadly all this “remembering when” has made me feel a little melancholy at this point AND my throat felt lumpy and my eyes were starting to burn. So I did the only logical thing I could do…

I shook it off, put a smile back on my face and thought happy thoughts of how much fun I had here over the years.

It would not do any good to wish my kids could experience it. It's never going to happen. BUT.. they will have their own memories of WDW that will be just as special to them as RC is to me. Now that I’m feeling better, I take one more look at the RC slides before moving on.

100_9239.jpg

I don’t know what this is but I’m sure someone does. In fact I’m sure it’s been photographed, posted and discussed at length at one point or another. :rofl2:

100_9241.jpg

Since I’m already back here AND totally alone I figured there would be no harm in peeping behind the restroom/towel building.

100_9242.jpg

100_9243.jpg

With my memories relived and my emotions put back into perspective I was on my way…

100_9244.jpg

I’ve never checked out the inside of the pavillion before and this seemed like a great time to correct that oversight.

100_9246.jpg

100_9247.jpg

I’ve heard good things about Mickey’s Backyard Barbecue but we’ve never tried it. It sounds like fun but I’m not sure we want to spend that kind of money to eat outside at a picnic table.

All comments are welcome on this subject.

On my way out of the RC area, for some weird reason, I took a photo of this door on the back of the ticket booth.

100_9248.jpg

100_9250.jpg

That concludes my tour of the Pavillion and River Country area.

But my bicycle tour of a lifetime isn’t over yet.

Oh Ed! We all know Fox is the #1 name in news. They say so every day.

Now go pop some popcorn... and be sure there's enough to share this time! ;)

The spin stops here. :rofl2:

Fox also said that they were NOT News ...

I'm still eating the popcorn I popped and no one came to share ... and it's getting stale!

86880-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Happy-Moodie-Character-Spinning-Around-On-A-Stool.jpg

Awww...love your old pics of RC.

I think I posted this somewhere else, but somewhere I have a pic of my mom going off those slides that looks very similar to the one of your dad. She's holding her nose and has her arm out sort of the same way.

And gosh, am I the only one who thinks that your bro in that pic looks alot like Gabe? Total family resemblance.

Can't wait for the rest of it!

I got all nostalgic right along with you, Kim. At least we have our memories

I have thought about the BBQ too, I am anti paying big bucks to sit outside and share my meal with bugs. Yuck.

Keep it. Coming I am still in need of reading material :banana:

I am loving your trip report and I am not gonna hijack it like the person who says Fox news isn't news but quotes the Huffington Post and Move on.org like they have any validity at all.

Keep up the good work!

I am loving your trip report and I am not gonna hijack it like the person who says Fox news isn't news but quotes the Huffington Post and Move on.org like they have any validity at all.

Keep up the good work!

This was the best non-hijack , hijack ever. :rofl2:

Keep up the good work!

Michael Clemente, the channel’s senior vice president for news stated, “The average consumer certainly knows the difference between the A section of the newspaper and the editorial page,” while also admitting that the majority of what appears on Fox Newsis editorial in content and not news. FOX said it - I didn't. By labeling them selves as News, they are just falsely advertizing there status. It would be like every channel that broadcasts news for a portion of their time labeling themselves as News. ABC News; NBC News; CBS News; Comedy Channel News - at least they are honest about it. Again, you have no idea where I get my quotes from - saying it's from specific organizations is something you can't truthfully say - just like you saying that it was ME that said Fox News isn't News. One more time - I didn't say it , they did.

BTW, :bravo: on the TR

Fox also said that they were NOT News ...

I'm still eating the popcorn I popped and no one came to share ... and it's getting stale!

86880-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Happy-Moodie-Character-Spinning-Around-On-A-Stool.jpg

Wow! I've never heard them say "Fox news... the #1 name in NOT the news." That would make an interesting slogan. :rofl2:

I would like to hear about MBBQ as we are thinking of attending it next year.

If you go make sure to take notes, pics and share a good thorough report. :)

Awww...love your old pics of RC.

I think I posted this somewhere else, but somewhere I have a pic of my mom going off those slides that looks very similar to the one of your dad. She's holding her nose and has her arm out sort of the same way.

And gosh, am I the only one who thinks that your bro in that pic looks alot like Gabe? Total family resemblance.

Can't wait for the rest of it!

Thanks hotmamac. We're going to have to revisit the Ignore this thread. I'm ready to see some old photos!

Bro does look a lot like Gabe in that photo. In fact he looks like other photos I have of lil H as well. There are photos of me that look similar to that as well. We definitely have the family resemblanc thing going on.

I got all nostalgic right along with you, Kim. At least we have our memories

I have thought about the BBQ too, I am anti paying big bucks to sit outside and share my meal with bugs. Yuck.

Keep it. Coming I am still in need of reading material :banana:

Memories... pressed between the pages of my mind... Memories... sweetened through the ages just like wine...

What were we talking about? Oh yeah! The TR!

Now that Fox news has come up you may have all the reading material you need. :rofl2:

Keep up the good work!

Way to not hijack the TR Bob! Kudos! LOL!!!!!

This was the best non-hijack , hijack ever. :rofl2:

Amen. LOL!!! Now I need to clean the iced tea off my screen! :rofl2:

Michael Clemente, the channel’s senior vice president for news stated, “The average consumer certainly knows the difference between the A section of the newspaper and the editorial page,” while also admitting that the majority of what appears on Fox Newsis editorial in content and not news. FOX said it - I didn't. By labeling them selves as News, they are just falsely advertizing there status. It would be like every channel that broadcasts news for a portion of their time labeling themselves as News. ABC News; NBC News; CBS News; Comedy Channel News - at least they are honest about it. Again, you have no idea where I get my quotes from - saying it's from specific organizations is something you can't truthfully say - just like you saying that it was ME that said Fox News isn't News. One more time - I didn't say it , they did.

BTW, :bravo: on the TR

Take a deep breath Ed. All of the news networks have their talking head shows. We all know that is the "editorial page" of the programming. They all have their journalistic news as well. Some are just better than others. There can only be one #1. Sorry. ;)

If it helps I do like Morning Joe on MSNBC *gasp* I even like Mika B. **double gasp**.

BTW... thanks and glad your here following along Ed. :)

BBC America is the place to get your world news. CNN.com is the place to jump to entertainment news. Fox News is the place to go when you want to see guest not be able to answer a question and/or listen to my fatherinlaw get on his high horse. Huffington Post....is a good google feed.... :rofl2:

Seriously I stopped watching the news when I had to raise the antenna to get it. Sadly, I am happier this way and my fiends let me know if there is a hurricane coming ..... :banana:

We went a few years ago to the MBBQ. We could not get close to the characters like most character meals. The characters where on the dance floor and the children went all just go up at once and not leave. My daughter and I did dance some of the dances but the floor was packed so you really couldn't do the dance right. The food was normal barbeque food. That night, was the sickest night of my life. The food made me so sick I slept on the floor, praying to die. If you want character time and they haven't changed it. It is not worth the money. I know we won't be back.

We went a few years ago to the MBBQ. We could not get close to the characters like most character meals. The characters where on the dance floor and the children went all just go up at once and not leave. My daughter and I did dance some of the dances but the floor was packed so you really couldn't do the dance right. The food was normal barbeque food. That night, was the sickest night of my life. The food made me so sick I slept on the floor, praying to die. If you want character time and they haven't changed it. It is not worth the money. I know we won't be back.

OUCH!!!

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times…

If WDW doesn’t want it photographed and posted online for all the world to see…

They’d better learn to hide it.

100_9217.jpg

That's funny.

That's exactly what I say too.

But I also apply that rule to unlocked doors and gaps in fences.

I love the River Country photos and commentary. I especially loved the vintage River Country photos.

I can't wait to see where the bicycle tour goes next!

TCD

That's funny.

I love the River Country photos and commentary. I especially loved the vintage River Country photos.

TCD

is it time to hurry her along?

BBC America is the place to get your world news. CNN.com is the place to jump to entertainment news. Fox News is the place to go when you want to see guest not be able to answer a question and/or listen to my fatherinlaw get on his high horse. Huffington Post....is a good google feed.... :rofl2:

Seriously I stopped watching the news when I had to raise the antenna to get it. Sadly, I am happier this way and my fiends let me know if there is a hurricane coming ..... :banana:

:rofl2: duly noted. H and I often say that we wish they would turn off the mics so the other guy can answer! Drives us nuts when they shout over each other. You can't hear either one. But at least both sides are represented. Even if you can't hear them. LOL!!!

I didn't realize the Huffington post was good for anything... I guess it is good for a laugh. :rofl3:

Our local news has a one call alert for severe weather warnings. We haven't signed up but I hear it's a pretty good service. No need to ever tune into the news again if you don't wanna. ;)

OK. Now THAT'S the kind of honesty I'm looking for! No holds barred. Nothing held back.

I like barbecue food but I'm not really wanting to spend my WDW vacation praying to die. I do that enough at home. :rofl2:

I guess we'll skip it too.

OUCH!!!

Ain't that the truth!

That's funny.

TCD

Are you suggesting that I should have went through the unlocked gate and looked through the gap in the fence?

I did but there was nothing to see. ;)

I'm not sure why I didn't take a pic. In our house we call that a brain fart.

Thanks for the nice comments about the RC photos/commentary. It was just how I was feeling at the time. I think now I can let it go and move on. Maybe. We'll see. :)

Hopefully I will be able to get another installment done tonight. I've got a feeling we'd better get this thing back on track before something bad happens. This TR has already had one total derailment. I don't know if we can take a derailment into the abyss of cable news... or should I say... NOT news. :rofl2:

Your RC commentary was very touching. It is sad when we have great memories of something from when we were kids, but are unable to share it with our own kids. I never got to experience RC myself, but there are other things I feel that way about. But I guess life is all about change...some of it bad, but much of it good. Like you said, your boys will have their own awesome memories someday. And that we can all feel good about.

Kim,

I finally got the time to catch up on all 33 pages. What an outstanding job! I envy people like you that carry the camera around all the time and get all the good shots. My last trip report I had to remind myself to grab my camera so I could put something together worth while. As all of us, relaxation is the #1 thing on my mind no matter where we camp. It looks like even though you had some rainy weather, you all still made it a wonderful trip. I hope someday me and my family can figure out how to stay at the fort for 2 whole weeks. That would be awesome! You have so many things in this report I wouldn't know where to add my 2 cents...lol I loved your trips to the parks, your pro-poncho point of views, our similar comments, good and bad on the older attractions and the latest bike ride. Since we bought herbie, we have gotten really lazy with the bikes. The bikes can sometimes take you places the golf carts can't including the wilderness lodge. As the kids are getting bigger and they learn to ride the bikes, I am hoping to go back to our roots and use the bikes more. We are heading the fort in 4 weeks and herbie is actually dead as a door nail and I hate to fork out $600 for batteries. The bikes might make the next trip :) Keep up the great work.

Your RC commentary was very touching. It is sad when we have great memories of something from when we were kids, but are unable to share it with our own kids. I never got to experience RC myself, but there are other things I feel that way about. But I guess life is all about change...some of it bad, but much of it good. Like you said, your boys will have their own awesome memories someday. And that we can all feel good about.

Thanks Dave. I was terribly nostalgic this visit. Does that mean I'm getting old? LOL.

I'm sorry you never got to play at River Country. It was absolutely perfect.

You're right. Life is filled with change. As my grandma always says... "Time changes everything." I think she's right.

Kim,

I finally got the time to catch up on all 33 pages. What an outstanding job! I envy people like you that carry the camera around all the time and get all the good shots. My last trip report I had to remind myself to grab my camera so I could put something together worth while. As all of us, relaxation is the #1 thing on my mind no matter where we camp. It looks like even though you had some rainy weather, you all still made it a wonderful trip. I hope someday me and my family can figure out how to stay at the fort for 2 whole weeks. That would be awesome! You have so many things in this report I wouldn't know where to add my 2 cents...lol I loved your trips to the parks, your pro-poncho point of views, our similar comments, good and bad on the older attractions and the latest bike ride. Since we bought herbie, we have gotten really lazy with the bikes. The bikes can sometimes take you places the golf carts can't including the wilderness lodge. As the kids are getting bigger and they learn to ride the bikes, I am hoping to go back to our roots and use the bikes more. We are heading the fort in 4 weeks and herbie is actually dead as a door nail and I hate to fork out $600 for batteries. The bikes might make the next trip :) Keep up the great work.

Thanks for joining in starbuc! Glad you're here. We really don't mind the rain too much. There are times we really welcome it. The way we figure it is.. It's going to rain in Florida so we may as well make it part of the experience.

The only reason we stay for 2 weeks is because we only go once per year, we stay at the Fort which saves a ton of cash on eating out and we only live 8 hours away so the gas $$ isn't as bad as it is for a lot of people. Whether you stay for one week or three weeks it is always over too soon and you wonder where the time went. :)

We actually prefer the bikes but b/c of things being what they are our youngest isn't able to ride one. Hopefully we will find a solution for that issue. I would gladly give up the GC for bikes. Lots and Lots of good Fort fun!

I appreciate the kind comments. Thank you.

Day 14 July 10... Keeps going and going and going.

I believe we left off with a tour of the River Country/Pavilion area.

As I pedaled away from my all time favorite place within my favorite place…. I noticed a little path.

I’ve seen this path before but have never taken it.

Until now.

I knew where it led but decided to walk down it anyway.

Here’s a view of Bay Lake on my way to the path.

100_9255.jpg

Here is the path…

100_9256.jpg

Here is where the path comes out..

100_9257.jpg

Well… what did you expect? A path near River Country that goes in the direction of Bay Lake can only end up in one place.

Bay Lake.

I know it wasn’t much of an adventure for ya’ll but I’d never walked down the path before …

And, more importantly, H had the kids. It was a great adventure for me. :rofl2:

It was kind of a cool perspective of Clementine’s beach though. Here are a few photos.

100_9258.jpg

100_9259.jpg

100_9260.jpg

Of course I couldn’t let the opportunity go by without checking out the boat dock on the far side of the beach…

100_9261.jpg

No fishing and cast members only. Booo!!

Since I wasn’t a cast member and wasn’t allowed to fish, I decided to pull an H and take photos from the bushes.

100_9262.jpg

100_9263.jpg

100_9264.jpg

With my curiosity of the mysterious path satisfied it was time to move on. I was still alone, childless and ready to roll. Back up the path I go.

100_9265.jpg

100_9266.jpg

A few more looks around TCD farm/stable before looking for another spot never spotted by me.

100_9267.jpg

100_9268.jpg

100_9269.jpg

Just keep pedaling.. Just keep pedaling..

100_9270.jpg

Ahh yes. Here it is! Of all the years we have visited FW, believe it or not, I’ve never ridden on the path from FW to WL.

100_9271.jpg

I didn’t ride the entire path due to time but it is a nice peaceful riding path. I think I’ll take the time to do that next visit.

100_9272.jpg

After going just a little piece up the path I went ahead and turned around. It was a nice path. I got the picture.

I also got this picture.

100_9274.jpg

This might be a good idea for us. That way our entire family could ride.

I’m nearly back to the Settlement bus stop.

100_9275.jpg

Now I was wondering.. “Hmmm… where should I go now?”

Then it hit me! “Duh! Go to the place you’ve never really gone to before but have been wanting to go!”

With my destination settled in my mind, off I go!

Can you figure it out?

100_9279.jpg

That was a big clue for anyone who’s been there.

Here’s a dead give away.

100_9280.jpg

I’ve been this far before… remember earlier in the golf cart? And I think H and I may have come this far on a bike many many moons ago. And lil H, Ty and I were here in the canoe.

100_9281.jpg

This time I’m not stopping at the bridge. I’m going all the way!

100_9282.jpg

100_9283.jpg

Now I’m feeling a little euphoric! LOL!

100_9284.jpg

100_9286.jpg

Oh look! A little bunny. I tried to make friends with my best Disney Princess impersonation but he wasn’t interested.

100_9287.jpg

Oops! Close to the photo limit.

Coming up: The conclusion of my bike tour.