That Big Rock in Atlanta

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And look at the Mayor, looking all slim and trim.

Oh, and Doodle, I honestly didn't realize about the bad picture of you. And since I'm an equal opportunity picture poster, I'll post this lovely ditty Rick took when I got home

this is Carols report, I am just adding some extras like this one...........

Great pictures of the park, Carol!! I saw a little bit of it when we all went to the Laser Show. Next year I will do a little more exploring, but only if it's cooler. I may need to enlist your help to talk Mike into the Sky ride though. Heights are not his favorite.

You Michiganers need to get used to the heat.. LOL

The really fascinating thing about the mountain is that only 1% of it is visible. The granite extends 10 miles down into the earth, and laterally 9 miles underneath the neighboring county.

That is really fascinating, Dave.

I have a minor in geology. I don't remember much about it at this point, but I do know that big rocks interest me. Kinda like the one I am imagining falling on your head right about now.

OK- you two, that was a funny exchange.

Dave- I didn't know you had a minor in geology. This big rock fascinates me too. Ten miles down. Miles? Wow! What the heck is it doing there? Where did it come from? How did it stay there when glaciers covered this area?

TCD

I have a minor in geology. I don't remember much about it at this point, but I do know that big rocks interest me. Kinda like the one I am imagining falling on your head right about now.

I didn't realize accounting and rocks mixed....

I never would have thought it was 10 miles deep. WOW.

And this lovely exchange made me think of the book "The Rift" by Walter Williams. Ever read it? I definately learned something knew reading that one. I thought the faults were around mountains, not necessarily water (i.e. the Mississippi).

Carol, I think your pictures of the rock were good. I am terrified of heights (go figure) and just looking at your photos made me nauseous. :wacko:

The little amusement park looks like fun though!

It is a spectacular view up there. Heights don't bother me at all. The park was neat, but it was MUCH hotter down there.

LOL I totally agree.

It sure does look pretty. All I could think though was, the ride up might feel smooth & steady, but the fall back down would too - until you hit granite! :panic: That'd take me a whole lot of punch... :laugh:

They have taken 1000s of folks up and down that Skyride and never an incident. Don't think it's gonna fall!!

Great pictures of the park, Carol!! I saw a little bit of it when we all went to the Laser Show. Next year I will do a little more exploring, but only if it's cooler. I may need to enlist your help to talk Mike into the Sky ride though. Heights are not his favorite.

It is a great ride!! They also have a covered viewing area well away from the edge of the rock that gives great views also. Probably wouldn't notice the height so much from there.

I don't want to show how old I am, but the last time I was at Stone Mountain none of this stuff was there except the carving of the losers from the Civil War and the steam train.

We went when I was a kid. Just wandered around, don't remember anything being there except the Skylift and the train either. We didn't ride either one. I don't remember begging the folks to do anything else, so there must not have been much there then either.

The really fascinating thing about the mountain is that only 1% of it is visible. The granite extends 10 miles down into the earth, and laterally 9 miles underneath the neighboring county.

That is really fascinating, Dave.

Are you interested, or just being your snarky sarcastic self?

What do you. Think?

not much.

There ya go.

Leave it to Dave and Jim to have a brilliant conversation about a "rock" :)

Large rocks are no match for my head.

Are you two finished? :)

Carol,

Could you get into places likethe glass company to watch the glass blowing without paying admission? I'm always trying to find out what we can do within our budget. ;)

Yes Marty, you can. There are several shops including the glass place that anyone can walk into. You can walk the grounds, and you can watch the laser show at night without any tickets. You can hike up the mountain too if you like...just can't ride the skytram thingy.

Alright then! maybe if I make it to SMGG 2013, you and I can grab some kids and hike up that rock!

I'm all over that rock.

We're are not talking about the Ohana cloud i hear is still lingering over Stone Mountain.

The official National Weather Service account is that the cloud was a low hanging cumulonimbus. Who am I to call them liars?

I'm guessing on a cool day, that could be a nice walk, but wonderful technology (like the Skylift) helps us avoid such nonsense :)

My guess is that the neighboring county is Rockdale County, where I live!

That's probably a good assumption!!

When walking on the top of the mountain, please do be careful. Last year a young father somehow got outside the rope area and fell to his death. It can be bad if it is wet.

That is so sad, BUT it is not really ropes, they are huge chain link fences. It would be really hard to get on the other side of those fences.

Steve and Drew hiked it when we were there 5 years ago.

There were lots of folks walking it.

You Michiganers need to get used to the heat.. LOL

I'm an Alabama girl and the heat bothered me too!

Cool pics.

And the photo bomb was GREAT!

:clint:

Thanks Genia!! Saturday night was a lot of fun!!!

OK- you two, that was a funny exchange.

Dave- I didn't know you had a minor in geology. This big rock fascinates me too. Ten miles down. Miles? Wow! What the heck is it doing there? Where did it come from? How did it stay there when glaciers covered this area?

TCD

There were all kinds of posters in the building on top that told how the rock was formed. Heat/volcanos/molten something and lots of time. Go up there and you can read about it!

I didn't realize accounting and rocks mixed....

I never would have thought it was 10 miles deep. WOW.

And this lovely exchange made me think of the book "The Rift" by Walter Williams. Ever read it? I definately learned something knew reading that one. I thought the faults were around mountains, not necessarily water (i.e. the Mississippi).

It is a neat history.

Okey, Dokey, lets get back on track. When we last left off, the train was arriving.

IMG_9991.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

Here are some shots in the area while waiting to board

IMG_9994.jpg

IMG_9997.jpg

IMG_9998.jpg

The park also has mini golf!

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

And here we go

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

There were LOTS of trees, so getting clear shots of the rock from the train was difficutl

IMG_0011.jpg

There are also lots of walking/hiking trails in this area too

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

At one point many years ago, they did actually use to mine the granite. Some plaque I read said granite from Stone Mountain is used is some pretty famous places. One I remember is it's part of the Washington monument

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

I'm guessing this is the previous train they used to run guests around on

IMG_0057.jpg

Interesting! The Lacey Hotel and Moon's Station are references to Kennesaw (formerly Big Shanty during Civil War times). These locations were part of the Great Locomotive Chase where a bunch of Northern spys stole a train and tried to disrupt the rails/train traffic from Kennesaw to Ringgold (near Chattanooga).

I think Stone Mountain used to do a recreation of the event and these were probably props for that show.

The movie The Great Locomotive Chase is a Disney movie and starred Fess Parker.

Ooh, now the train I could do!! As long as my ass stays near the ground, I'm good!

I love the recreation of the old town, I dig that kind of stuff.

"Moon's Station" :moon: :rofl2:

Off to see if my library has The Great Locomotive chase on DVD.

They don't. :( However, i did learn that this year is the 150th anniversary of the Great Locomotive Chase, also known as Andrews Raid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Locomotive_Chase

I still want to see the movie.

Ooh, now the train I could do!! As long as my ass stays near the ground, I'm good!

You could always take the hike up the rock. and then sit down when u get to the top. that way your ... um.... well you know what ...stays near the ground. :D :rofl2:

It really is a beautiful park. I have a horrible fear of heights but for some reason the skylift didn't bother me at all and I did ok on top as long as I took deep breaths and didn't think about it too hard.

Great Job Carol! I never did get to the top of the rock, the kids got all tangled up in the Sky Hike and Gyser area and we pretty much stayed there the whole day! We do plan on going back before the 2nd day passes expire in January. It's a really nice place for the kids, there are lots of oppourtunities to play in the water. They stopped at every little creek and had a blast. The only thing they didnt like was the Yogi bear 4d thing, freaked the little ones out for some reason.. and they loved the experience at Disney, go figure.

I really enjoyed the train, and really enjoyed your pictures of the train!

Thanks!

Interesting! The Lacey Hotel and Moon's Station are references to Kennesaw (formerly Big Shanty during Civil War times). These locations were part of the Great Locomotive Chase where a bunch of Northern spys stole a train and tried to disrupt the rails/train traffic from Kennesaw to Ringgold (near Chattanooga).

I think Stone Mountain used to do a recreation of the event and these were probably props for that show.

The movie The Great Locomotive Chase is a Disney movie and starred Fess Parker.

I remember them mentioning something about trains, but it was hard to hear the narration

Thanks for taking us on the train ride with you, Carol. I really need to go and see some of this stuff!!

I do know where the liquor store is though! :))

You are getting as bad as Lorna!! Do I have to drag you both out somewhere??!!! (I can't talk, last year, I didn't move from my chair all weekend)

You will enjoy the train ride Steph!

That's another great batch of photos, Carol.

Don't be too impressed that there is stone from stone mountain in the Washington Monument.

There are almost 200 "commemorative stones" included in the Washington Monument. They come from all kinds of places.

This is a tidbit I remembered from the Dan Brown novel- The Lost Symbol.

TCD

Good tidbit TCD, and thanks!!

Off to see if my library has The Great Locomotive chase on DVD.

They don't. :( However, i did learn that this year is the 150th anniversary of the Great Locomotive Chase, also known as Andrews Raid. http://en.wikipedia....ocomotive_Chase

I still want to see the movie.

Hope you can find it!

Great update! I loved the train photos.

Thanks!!

Pictures are awesome Carol!! I want to go next time!

Well, make your reservations!!! They are filling up fast!!

Another great update, Carol!

Thanks!!

Great Job Carol! I never did get to the top of the rock, the kids got all tangled up in the Sky Hike and Gyser area and we pretty much stayed there the whole day! We do plan on going back before the 2nd day passes expire in January. It's a really nice place for the kids, there are lots of oppourtunities to play in the water. They stopped at every little creek and had a blast. The only thing they didnt like was the Yogi bear 4d thing, freaked the little ones out for some reason.. and they loved the experience at Disney, go figure.

The top of the rock is cool!! Not sure I'd want to chase munchkins up there though. The Sky Hike and Geyser look awesome for kids!!