That Big Rock in Atlanta

Anna also didn't like the 4D thing. She was sitting on my lap, and every time the water sprayed she jumped and tried crawling behind me.

They did spray a LOT of water at you on that one. I don't think the Disney 3Ds are that bad with the water.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And look at the Mayor, looking all slim and trim.

Oh, and Doodle, I honestly didn't realize about the bad picture of you. And since I'm an equal opportunity picture poster, I'll post this lovely ditty Rick took when I got home

this is Carols report, I am just adding some extras like this one...........

Time for another update.

After getting off the train, I decide to try and find where our seating for the show tonight is. I locate our terrace and realize I'm parked "really" close to where our terrace is and decide that I'm NOT giving up that parking spot. I remember the parking from last year. We were out there, to say the least.

So I decide to take the shuttle back to the campground.

Here I am waiting on the shuttle.

IMG_0108.jpg

Back at the campground. Snapping a few more Fiend pictures, and folks are rustling up dinner

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Anna is trying to take my picture!!

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Coming next, the laser fireworks show!!

There was a nice history of the train situation in our latest weekly newspaper in DeKalb County. They used the steam locomotives until a few years ago. Some diesels were donated by New Georgia Railway (now bankrupt) who used to run excursions all over GA including a dinner train into Stone Montain Park. The Steams had gotten too expensive and difficult to maintain, so the diesels are used exclusively now.

I walked up the mountain once...back in '87 or '89...anyway, when I was much younger. It does get quite steep near the top when they have you already suckered into believing you can make it. Back then they gave certificates for making it all the way up and back down. Still have mine around here somewhere.

Our house is off the south side of the mountain, probably in the trees somewhere past Stone Mountain Village. On the north side is the tennis venue built for Olympics...since also gone bankrupt because the local tennis players all live in the northern suburbs and wouldn't come to Stone Mountain after the Olympics. Also The TED was built for the opening ceremonies, etc, then partially torn back to create the baseball field the Braves now enjoy. The tram for getting to the top of the mountain was completely replaced for the Olympics with the larger cars and new cables you see today.

I also loved the Anna pictures, but in the interest of the rest of the story, the rest of Daves family is great too.... As was the whole group of fiends. Our family really enjoyed the outing.

And a special thanks to Carol for the trip report and the amazing pictures.

Ok Doodle and I have to get out more, so Carol neeeeeeeeeeeeds to come July 4th so she can drag both of us out of the Fort. WE NEED U CAROL LOL LOL

Judy did you make your reses for next year yet????

On my TO DO list for next year, ride the train and go on the DUCKS I have been saying that for 2 years and next year I am going to do it

Carol great updates LOVE the pictures

Ok Doodle and I have to get out more, so Carol neeeeeeeeeeeeds to come July 4th so she can drag both of us out of the Fort. WE NEED U CAROL LOL LOL

Judy did you make your reses for next year yet? ???

On my TO DO list for next year, ride the train and go on the DUCKS I have been saying that for 2 years and next year I am going to do it

I agree wholeheartedly.Carol needs to show me what I'm missing at Disney!! The 4th would be the perfect time to do that!!

IMG_0114.jpg

This is worse than squirrel distraction!!

I need her!

Shoot, Dave probably wouldn't miss her, he's got 4 more!! No fair!! ;D

IMG_0113.jpg

Oh Lawdy!!!

Doodle, is that your good side? :P

For future reference, I will murder anyone who takes a picture of my ass!!!

There was a nice history of the train situation in our latest weekly newspaper in DeKalb County. They used the steam locomotives until a few years ago. Some diesels were donated by New Georgia Railway (now bankrupt) who used to run excursions all over GA including a dinner train into Stone Montain Park. The Steams had gotten too expensive and difficult to maintain, so the diesels are used exclusively now.

I walked up the mountain once...back in '87 or '89...anyway, when I was much younger. It does get quite steep near the top when they have you already suckered into believing you can make it. Back then they gave certificates for making it all the way up and back down. Still have mine around here somewhere.

Our house is off the south side of the mountain, probably in the trees somewhere past Stone Mountain Village. On the north side is the tennis venue built for Olympics...since also gone bankrupt because the local tennis players all live in the northern suburbs and wouldn't come to Stone Mountain after the Olympics. Also The TED was built for the opening ceremonies, etc, then partially torn back to create the baseball field the Braves now enjoy. The tram for getting to the top of the mountain was completely replaced for the Olympics with the larger cars and new cables you see today.

I also loved the Anna pictures, but in the interest of the rest of the story, the rest of Daves family is great too.... As was the whole group of fiends. Our family really enjoyed the outing.

And a special thanks to Carol for the trip report and the amazing pictures.

That's some neat info!!!

Great pictures Carol thanks, looks like we have another place to add to our travel plans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come next year for Memorial Day weekend! Then I can meet more fiends!

Come join us!!!

Dana make your reservations, most of us have booked next year already, go check out the thread and get a campsite near us

Memorial weekend with Fiends is AWESOME!

Judy did you make your reses for next year yet? ???

I agree wholeheartedly.Carol needs to show me what I'm missing at Disney!! The 4th would be the perfect time to do that!!

Oh my, I have a picture of Doodle, Lorna, and Carol running amok through Disney. Sounds like a great time for all!!

:suspense:

Ya'll are killin me!!!!

I'm gonna call this last segment the battle of the "trying to quit smokers". I'm glad you all are trying to quit.

:)

This is worse than squirrel distraction!!

I need her!

Shoot, Dave probably wouldn't miss her, he's got 4 more!! No fair!! ;D

Doodle, is that your good side? :P

For future reference, I will murder anyone who takes a picture of my ass!!!

Duly noted!!!

what a wonderful weekend.. I'm thankful to have met all of you :heart:

Right back atcha, CJ!

Agree 100%!!!!!

OK, now we're to the evening with the Laser/Fireworks show!! As I said before, some of us had tickets for terrace seating. The price was $8.50 per person, and included reserved seating, a cold soft drink or water, and unlimited popcorn. The seating was plastic conference chairs. This was the best money spent all weekend!!!! We all took the shuttle over to the park. They were running behind schedule, but they did get us there. We got there about 9:00 and the show was at 9:30. NO WAY we could do that without seating. We got to our section, showed our tickets, got our softdrink and popcorn and sat down.

Here are a few pics before the show

IMG_0129.jpg

LOTS of people

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

And the show begins. A lot of it was basically a promotion for Georgia, but the music and effects were pretty good. Also lots of Patriotic stuff. Not sure if that's cause of the holiday, or is normally part of the show.

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

And then of course, lots of pretty fireworks

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

After the show, some of us walked toward my truck and the rest walked toward the shuttle!! Unfortunately, I didn't have enough room for everyone. Leaving the truck there was a lifesaver!!! We beat the shuttle folks by an hour!!!!