Hot Fun in the Summertime-TCD's August 2012 TR

Well, we need to move this report along, so I am not going to leave you all hanging with me out at the new Four Seasons resort.

Let's look around a bit more, and then get back to the Fort.

Besides, I am not 100% sure I am allowed to be here. Like I mentioned- there is a sign that says no pets beyond this point. To me, that means people are OK, but that locked gate may mean otherwise.

It isn't even 8:00 yet, but there is a foursome over here on the third hole:

254.jpg

I have been out here before, and have noticed that the 18th hole has been absorbed by the Four Seasons project, but they still have the hole marker here:

255.jpg

The fairway is on the other side of that fence, and is all torn up.

There is a very clear no trespassing sign here:

256.jpg

To me that means that what I have done so far is not trespassing, right?

I appreciate that they have some openings in the fence fabric for gawkers.

This is what used to be the pretty 18th fairway:

257.jpg

This is as close a look as we are going to get today of the construction in progress:

258.jpg

El sol is giving me a heck of a time here:

259.jpg

I tried to move over a bit. Check out how this fence is covered with vines. This has all grown here since the fence was erected in January:

260.jpg

The sun isn't as much of a problem over here:

261.jpg

You see that little fabric fence in the foreground of that photo? That is called a silt fence. This normally defines the outer boundary of a construction project. I think they are going to dig a big pond/lake here on this side of the building. The artists' renederings of this resort show a pond/lake here.

From where I took that last photo, I turned and took this one. This is the view that the goobersmoochers in that swanky hotel will get to see:

266.jpg

Nice.

So, how is that fair?

They get to look at this, and we get to look at a big building?

Now we are walking back to the Fort.

It's getting near 8, and more golfers and others will soon be out and about.

You can see the gate that we are heading to just to the right of center in this photo:

267.jpg

The old 18th hole tee box is elevated, so I climbed up there to take this photo- you can see over the fence a bit better:

268.jpg

From up here, I took a look down the canal and saw a golf cart with a single rider heading my way there on the path beside the canal:

269.jpg

Crap!

Golf course rangers are generally not the nicest people.

I have been yelled at by plenty.

And only a couple of times for good reason.

Well, here he comes.

And there he goes:

270.jpg

Yes he saw me.

And I waved at him as he drove by.

I guess he had someone better that he wanted to harass.

I headed back across the bridge.

I thought this shot might be nice, with the plants in the foreground and all. But that building still looks bad:

273.jpg

Here's one more sunrise photo. I call it Sunrise over a POS POC hotel next to Fort Wilderness:

274.jpg

As I turned to go, I was about to walk across the cart path when two golf carts came zooming by. Followed by two more. And then two more. It was a parade of carts, and they were flying:

275.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

It was exactly 8 am. These guys must have been playing in a tournament with a shotgun start.

It's weird to think that there are that many people playing golf there right next to the Fort.

None of those guys asked me what I was doing there.

So I guess it was OK for me to be there.

Here we are heading back to the Fort.

There is something across the canal there:

278.jpg

Can you see it now? :

279.jpg

I wonder how she likes the new Four Seasons resort?

Here's some more photos of those mysterious pipes:

280.jpg

281.jpg

282.jpg

This is the canal that runs behind the 1900 loop- it is very low too:

283.jpg

This path here leads to the maintenance area that you can see on the right as you drive in to the Fort:

284.jpg

The air potato vines are in control out here at this corner of the Fort:

285.jpg

These are a couple of the sites that back up to the canal on the 1600 loop:

286.jpg

287.jpg

This is the site two down from mine on the outside of the 1500 loop. They are fixing to get full sun for the rest of the morning:

288.jpg

Here's the back of 1506- we will have shade for quite a while longer:

289.jpg

And we're back!

It was a little after 8 now.

The girls didn't want me to wake them until 9:30.

I was kind of hot and sweaty.

Maybe some looping would cool me down?

TCD

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated. For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're n

I sure it has nothing to do with Uranus, BM, hanging chad, or slow movements down a canal. It has to do with the lack of beer, doesn't it?

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

Those pipes look like barriers to keep canoes/kayaks from the Fort away from the Disney elite who will be paying big bucks to enjoy the wilderness Disney offers those who can pay. Not a very effective barrier, since a simple portage will put you on the other side. Merely an annoyance. I am thinking after the hotel is open I may be able to entertain guests with a little nekked alligator wrasslin in that thar pond they be buildin.

I am thinking after the hotel is open I may be able to entertain guests with a little nekked alligator wrasslin in that thar pond they be buildin.

:lmao1: Where does the ticket line form?

I'm curious to see if they do a better job of blocking that path from the camping riff-raff.

If the Fort freeloaders can blatantly walk to the outpost bus stop with coolers, towels and charcoal to invade the Fort pool, I'm all for trying the same thing there.

I'm curious to see if they do a better job of blocking that path from the camping riff-raff.

If the Fort freeloaders can blatantly walk to the outpost bus stop with coolers, towels and charcoal to invade the Fort pool, I'm all for trying the same thing there.

Bobby has asked me to offer my expertise re. booby traps and high explosives in order to control infiltration by Fort riffraff.

But, I always see people eating and drinking on the buses.

Once the bus is rolling there is nothing the driver can do and they shouldn't try to do anything. More important things to do like concentrate on the road and that's why most drivers try to catch food as people are boarding.

Regulars know that they can beat the system, I'm sure they feel a sense of accomplishment, by not having it visible.

But that's ok, I don't have to sit in it, walk in it, and I'm certainly not going to pick up after slobs.

So if people want to bring food on the bus and leave the trash behind, you, not literally you, will be the one that suffers.

Those pipes look like barriers to keep canoes/kayaks from the Fort away from the Disney elite who will be paying big bucks to enjoy the wilderness Disney offers those who can pay. Not a very effective barrier, since a simple portage will put you on the other side. Merely an annoyance. I am thinking after the hotel is open I may be able to entertain guests with a little nekked alligator wrasslin in that thar pond they be buildin.

nekked……is that in the urban dictionary?

What a riot. I love it!

Abominations suck. Especially when they are plopped on golf courses...next to the Fort. I'm sure this is nothing compared to the mess that's coming from the frickin DVC resort.

I do, however, like the abominable snow man.

You tell 'em, Dave. We should have a grand gathering of fiends at the main lobby and offer a grand mooning during high traffic check-in time. Heck, I'd even put a pair of Snarky tatoos on my butt cheeks to make sure that they knew who they was messin' with. You guys got me pumped now.

Oh, yeah, check it out. I AM A FORT FIEND, so don't you dare call me JR, anymore.

Dat's right. I am a double-naught fiend, fer sure.

BassMaster, I just read you Tag - friends with a silent R - I love it!

As far as the new hotel, I figure it is what it is. If I spend time getting upset about it won't change anything, except I will have wasted my time being upset. There is enough trouble in life.

I guess i figure that the Fort will still be my magic place. Our pastor told dh and I that he believed that even if we were suddenly given $100,000, we would still have the same basic life style and probably give much of the money away. I said my dh would likely give much of it away, but only after he had dragged me back from Disney, 'cause i would have headed straight there upon getting the news. :lol: Truth be told, I probably would pay some bills first, or maybe just get a fancy computer or phone so I could do that from the road. Oh, and if i did that, then I could post a TR live from the Fort!

Ok, back to reality. Can't wait for the next update, so i can go back to dreamming! :D

Good point. I do try to find the bright side, when I can. Plus there is another pool for me to pull a Caddyshack day on.

Now the question is, which side of the Fort will I need to stay on to avoid viewing the towering 4 Seasons or DVC?

You are right- there is a bright side to having the hotel so close- I am sure that their bars and restaurants will be open longer and have greater choices than what we are stuck with at the Fort.

And, did I mention that they're going to have a lazy river at their pool?

The 3000 loop is guaranteed to only have views of swaying palms, chocolate fountains and beer kegs. Oh, and the 25 foot tall neon Snarky.

You are such a dreamer.

Oh, and btw: before the ugly hotel photos, I loved the last update!

And, I am:

1. pro-pin-trading

2. pro-Dumbo ride

3. pro-waiting for a sober boat captain

FP4

Good job.

I am pro all of those things too.

And anti-Four Seasons.

I don't think those pipes are there as barriers for the canoes and kayaks. You can't paddle past that bridge anyway, so that does a good enough job keeping the Fort riff-raff in its place.

It seems like the pipes are near the outlet pipes that drain the ditches into the canal. I think maybe these pipes are there to calm the water and prevent erosion of the canal banks.

Nekked Gator Wrastlin'? I'll pass. But please be careful.

Totally off topic but when has that stopped a fiend... I just have to say you tent and popup campers sure have a lot of work to do in the setup and packup phase. So hat's off to you!

Yeah. Those pipes aren't going to stop anyone. If that's what they're there for in the first place.

And, yes, tenters and pop-up campers do have a lot of set-up. I have a photo coming up later showing an exceptional case.

I am certain that once that resort is ready to open, there will be a better fence and gate installed to keep us filthy campers on the right side of the fence.

I am equally certain, however, that someone will build a bridge behind the 1900 loop like those you see crossing the canal between the 2000 loop and the cabins.

I don't think the regular Fort freeloaders will move over there, though. They have it too good at the Fort.

Bobby has asked me to offer my expertise re. booby traps and high explosives in order to control infiltration by Fort riffraff.

There you go.

We need to learn our place.

Once the bus is rolling there is nothing the driver can do and they shouldn't try to do anything. More important things to do like concentrate on the road and that's why most drivers try to catch food as people are boarding.

Regulars know that they can beat the system, I'm sure they feel a sense of accomplishment, by not having it visible.

But that's ok, I don't have to sit in it, walk in it, and I'm certainly not going to pick up after slobs.

So if people want to bring food on the bus and leave the trash behind, you, not literally you, will be the one that suffers.

Actually, I literally have been the one to suffer.

Well, not suffer in so many words. But, I have seen messes on buses and I understand that the driver can't stop to clean them up. It is a sad fact that people have become incredible slobs and do not think about the people who will have to see and deal with the messes they leave behind. I see it in the comfort stations at the Fort, the quick serve restaurants, the pool, the buses, and all around the parks. Very, very sad.

nekked……is that in the urban dictionary?

What a riot. I love it!

I am not going to look at the Urban Dictionary to see. I am not easily shocked, but that site often shocks me.

Maybe try the redneck dictionary?

You are correct, but he was on the Disney Board of Directors and largest single Disney share holder.

I guess Disney makes exceptions.

Yep, apparently so.

But, I am not going to fuss about it. As a whole, Disney shows much more respect of the flag than other businesses. Anyone who has not seen the daily flag retreat at the MK really ought to make time to do so.

TCD

It isn't a very pretty sight, especially right now. It does look to be a good looking hotel when finished. Too bad it's so close to the Fort.

Well, the closeness is my main objection.

But I also have a problem with how it will look when finished. Does that style fit in for a resort surrounded by nature? It looks like something you would see in St. Augustine or on a South Florida beach.

Abominations suck. Especially when they are plopped on golf courses...next to the Fort. I'm sure this is nothing compared to the mess that's coming from the frickin DVC resort.

I do, however, like the abominable snow man.

Yes, even though it is too darned close, and I think we will see glipses of it from the Fort, that Four Seasons resort will have much less impact on the Fort than the frickin DVC resort.

I am kind of ambivalent about the abominable snow man. I have never met one, and don't plan on it, so I don't really care.

After that resort opens, I am going to make it my mission to sneak into their hot tub and enhance the bubble flow. Those swanky SOBs won't know what hit 'em.

The horror.

You tell 'em, Dave. We should have a grand gathering of fiends at the main lobby and offer a grand mooning during high traffic check-in time. Heck, I'd even put a pair of Snarky tatoos on my butt cheeks to make sure that they knew who they was messin' with. You guys got me pumped now.

Oh, yeah, check it out. I AM A FORT FIEND, so don't you dare call me JR, anymore.

Dat's right. I am a double-naught fiend, fer sure.

What is that I see?

A Jethro Bodine reference?

Nice!

Congratulations on losing the Jr.

One look at you two and they'll send you around back to where the hired help enters.

There's no way they will allow guests to be able to see you two.

Fun sucker.

BassMaster, I just read you Tag - friends with a silent R - I love it!

As far as the new hotel, I figure it is what it is. If I spend time getting upset about it won't change anything, except I will have wasted my time being upset. There is enough trouble in life.

I guess i figure that the Fort will still be my magic place. Our pastor told dh and I that he believed that even if we were suddenly given $100,000, we would still have the same basic life style and probably give much of the money away. I said my dh would likely give much of it away, but only after he had dragged me back from Disney, 'cause i would have headed straight there upon getting the news. :)) Truth be told, I probably would pay some bills first, or maybe just get a fancy computer or phone so I could do that from the road. Oh, and if i did that, then I could post a TR live from the Fort!

Ok, back to reality. Can't wait for the next update, so i can go back to dreamming! :D

You are right about the hotel- there is nothing that any of us can do about it. So, we may as well figure out a way to enjoy it.

Did I mention that they're going to have a lazy river there?

And, here's hoping that your dreams come true!

I have no interest in staying at a fancy hotel that would accept me as a guest, much less one that would hire me.

my apologies to Groucho Marx...

A Groucho Marx reference?

I liked BM's Jethro reference better.

TCD

We can't call him BM for short. Gotta come up with something else.

Did he reference Aqualung or that Jungle song?

oops. I just showed my age, didn't I.

FP4

Hey, if Bassmaster doesn't want to be called BM, the man needs to pick a different name.

And, I was talking about Bodine, not Tull.

This is the second thread today that has a BM reference in it....

Fixed. :) There was an actual BM here.

I am not sure what y'all are talking about, but I think it's time to move on!

TCD

We need an update here to get us away from the BM talk.

So here we go!

This one is going to end up a little on the short side, as I didn't take photos for part of it. But I'll make it up in the next update. I promise.

We left off with me back at the site after visiting the abomination.

it was around 8:30. I was going to be making a big breakfast this morning, but it wasn't time to start that yet.

I had just enough time for a little looping.

So, off I went.

I stopped here, by the intersection of Peacock Pass and Big Pine Drive to look at something.

This:

291-1.jpg

Why?

Because the week before my trip, Discamper had posted a photo of a bus stop asking what loop it was on.

This looked like the area depicted in Discamper's photo.

In case you missed it here's the thread: http://www.fortfiend...h-loop-is-this/

You may have noticed a lot of flags and markers in that photo.

Here's a closer look at those:

292.jpg

There is something else of note here. See how there is an apron of pavement adjacent to the road? :

293.jpg

If you look at the bus stops around the Fort, you will see this extra pavement like this. It is there for wheelchairs and strollers, and to keep folks from having to walk through grass or mud to get on and off the buses. This suggests that there used to be a bus stop here.

As for the survey markers, you may be able to read that the wooden stake has 12' written on it. There were stakes at all the crosswalks around the Fort, and there are many of them, with this same writing. It refers to the fact that they will be installing 12' light poles at each end of every crosswalk in the Fort.

I took a ride by the main pool with the thought that I may jump in for a quick dip.

But, they were doing life guard training in there, so that was out.

The cabin pool was empty, though:

294.jpg

So, I hopped in.

I about broke my knees.

Three feet is kind of shallow for a pool, don't you think?

The human petri dish was open and relatively free of debris, so I had a quick soak in the clorox that they use instead of water:

295.jpg

From here, it was back to the site to fix breakfast. It was scrambled eggs, sausage, and tater tots all around.

Then it was time for some looping with the girls before our afternoon plans would begin.

In case this is your first time at the rodeo, I must explain that I have this habit of taking photos of the strangest things.

I can't help it.

If I see something interesting, I am going to take a photo of it.

And that is why I have this next set of photos.

Do you know that the Fort employs felons.

Yes, I said felons.

Look:

296.jpg

297.jpg

And don't think I didn't call Publix and ask for a reward.

Well, not really, but I did think about it.

And you will never guess what else I saw right there at the recycling bins.

Go ahead and try.

Did anyone guess a giant grasshopper?

If you said yes, I don't believe you.

But, that is what I saw:

298.jpg

When we are out looping, there is a very good chance that we will eventually end up at Trail's End for a drink.

And we did.

Look who was there on the porch:

299.jpg

Did you notice that yellow hula hoop flying through the air there on the right of that photo?

How about the purple one in this photo? :

300.jpg

That is Josephine there.

And she is playing a game of giant ring toss with the hula hoops and the posts that block the golf carts from driving in front of Pioneer Hall.

It was kind of dead around Trail's End on this late Saturday morning.

We had a nice chat with Josephine.

If you ever have the chance to speak to her, you should.

She has worked at the Fort for 34 years.

First at the Hoop Dee Doo and then at Trail's End.

34 years.

She has seen some things.

And she is quite the philosopher.

Don't mix her up with Paulette.

Paulette has been there forever too.

But doesn't have as much to say as Josie.

After getting caught up on the latest Fort gossip, it was time to move on.

We found a band of pirates invading the Fort:

302.jpg

The twins said they had seen pirates here before, but I never had.

They all were marching down the sidewalk following the big pirate with the beer cooler:

303.jpg

I really wanted to follow them and see where they were going, but the twins said we shouldn't, so we moved on.

We headed back to the camper and got ready for our afternoon.

We were splitting up for the first part of the afternoon.

The girls planned to head to Epcot and eat lunch in Mexico, do some pin trading, and meet some princesses.

I had a lunch date.

With two of my favorite people.

Lou and Gail.

When I head to the Fort, I usually will let Lou know.

I did this time.

Lou asked if we would like to have lunch with him and Gail.

I said sure.

Lou said how about Saana.

I said that sounded great.

So, we planned to meet up for lunch on Saturday.

The girls were invited, but decided that Saana was not their scene.

So, around noon, we headed up to the bus stop.

There were folks in canoes in the canal, even though the water was really low:

304.jpg

I took the AK bus to AK, and then switched to an AKL bus. The girls headed to Epcot.

I had a great meal with some great folks. I am not sure exactly what I ate. It was African food. The food was very good. The company was better.

The girls ate in Mexico.

I got a text from them while I was there at AKL with this photo attached:

IMG_8930.jpg

That is Dr. Facilier.

From the Princess and The Frog movie.

He is super rare.

In fact, I never even knew that he made appearances at WDW. For no apparent reason, he was out meeting guests in Epcot.

After my great lunch, I parted ways with Lou and Gail, and hopped aboard an Epcot bus.

Just as we got underway, I got a text from the girls telling me that they were on their way to Hollywood Studios.

Luckily, the AKL buses stop at Jambo House after picking up at Kadini Village, so I was able to hop off the Epcot bus there. There was a HS bus right behind us! So, that worked out well for me.

Next stop- I catch up with the girls at Hollywood Studios.

TCD

That group of pirates is on a kids' only pirate adventure. We did it a few years ago, but i forget how much it cost. It wasn't too painful ,IIRC, and the kids had fun. They each got a pirate bandanna with mouse ears on it.

Disney's Pirate Adventure

Aspiring buccaneers between the ages of 4 and 12 board a pirate-themed boat and scour the waterways around Walt Disney World Resort in search of pirate treasure during a swashbuckling high-seas adventure.

On this guided expedition, each participant enjoys a light snack and beverage, learns how to talk like a pirate, visits legendary ports-of-call, and—if he or she is lucky—returns with a bag of pirate booty! Disney's Pirate Adventure is a 2-hour sailing voyage that takes place each day at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Additional information and reservations may be made up to 180 days in advance by calling the Walt Disney World Recreation Department at 407-WDW-PLAY (407-939-7529). Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.

IMG_5485.JPG

IMG_5490.JPG