TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving @ The Fort 2012

Yes, it's another TCD TR.

You know what that means.

Bragging rights to everyone who posts on the first page!

This ended up being a five night trip to the Fort.

At one point, the entire TCD gang was there with us.

Even Mrs. TCD.

And Rocky, the TCD dog.

Awesome.

Let's begin at the beginning.

We headed east on Sunday, November 18th. For the first day, it was just me and the TCD twins.

I had once again sprung for a premium site.

We timed it to arrive around 1 pm, so we could hopefully check in and go right to our site.

I had been in touch with fellow Fiend Devores, who was kind enough to survey the 400 loop for empty sites that morning.

I had requested the 400 loop, and with the open sites there, things looked good for us to be on the 400 loop again on this trip.

Since I was driving, Twin #1 was in charge of photos at this point in the trip.

We had a couple of pilgrims along for the ride:

Thanksgiving2012001.jpg

Before too long, we were passing under those magical gates:

Thanksgiving2012002.jpg

And then we arrived at these even more magical gates:

Thanksgiving2012005.jpg

As you may have heard, those even more magical gates have been repainted lately. The project isn't done yet, either- note that today we were greeted by the letters W-E-L-C.

Cool vs. Not-Cool:

Thanksgiving2012006.jpg

My keen psychic powers tell me that there will soon be an O-M-E posted up there in those empty spots:

Thanksgiving2012007.jpg

Thanksgiving2012008.jpg

The decorations here on the main MK gates are kind of cheap looking. But, at least C & D are getting some love:

Thanksgiving2012009.jpg

Thanksgiving2012010.jpg

And, here we are!:

Thanksgiving2012011.jpg

Thanksgiving2012012.jpg

I was wondering how busy it would be when we arrived.

That question was answered when we had to wait on this line just to get to the guard shack:

Thanksgiving2012013.jpg

Thanksgiving2012014.jpg

The guard shack was decorated for Christmas:

Thanksgiving2012016.jpg

We choose lane 6:

Thanksgiving2012019.jpg

While we waited, a castmember came out to great us and asked if we had done on-line check-in. I guess if we had, he would have gone and gotten our check-in packet. But we hadn't, so we had to wait:

Thanksgiving2012022.jpg

As luck would have it, we ended up with a very new castmember. She told us we had been assigned to the 800 loop. I asked her to check on the open sites on the 400 loop. She had to make a phone call. After a long time, she told us that none of those open sites were available, but there was a person still on site 415 who was supposed to be leaving, but hadn't yet, and she got me assigned to that site. Wait a second, I said, what am I supposed to do about the guest who is still there? She said they would text me when he left and they got the site cleaned. I told her no thanks. Put me back on 800. That required another long phone call. Argh. Finally, we were done, and on our way to the 800 loop. Sheez.

We got to have a nice leisurely drive into the Fort courtesy of the idiots on golf carts who wouldn't even pull over for a bus:

Thanksgiving2012024.jpg

If you are one of those idiots, for Pete's sake, read the golf cart rules- you are supposed to pull over for the buses and faster moving vehicles!

Also, golf carts are supposed to stop for people in the crosswalks just like cars are.

Every time I drove in or out of the campground on this trip, I was trapped behind an idiot in a golf cart. Rude.

And only once all week did I see a golfcart stop for a person in the crosswalk. Rude.

Get with it people!

We finally made it to site 807.

And, the first order of business was to go looping.

Which we did.

I took the twins on up to the Outpost so they could head to Downtown Disney for lunch.

On the way, we saw folks paddling along the canal behind the 1300 loop:

Thanksgiving2012026.jpg

Check out this cool little golf cart that we saw in the Outpost parking area:

Thanksgiving2012027.jpg

On the way back to the site, I had to drive slow for the picnic table delivery guy:

Thanksgiving2012028.jpg

Site 807 backs up to the main drag in the campground-Fort Wilderness Trail- so we had all kinds of interesting things to see all week. For example, this wagon passed right by as I was setting up camp:

Thanksgiving2012029.jpg

Thanksgiving2012030.jpg

Here is what we will call the before photo:

Thanksgiving2012031.jpg

We were right next to this sidwalk and tetherball court:

Thanksgiving2012032.jpg

Both of those amenities will come in handy later in this report.

As I set up, the girls kept me updated on their whereabouts.

I also had a few visitors.

Like Mr. and Mrs. Devores, who stopped by to harass me about how close my hammock was to the road.

And Fiesty herself.

And, even everyone's favorite bus driver stopped by- the suddenly mysterious Lou.

Before too long, the set up was done, and the girls were back.

We headed down to Trail's End for our traditional first night meal.

I got to see the big Fort Christmas tree for the first time:

Thanksgiving2012033.jpg

And also the smaller tree they have on Crockett's porch:

Thanksgiving2012035.jpg

We ate our chicken back at the site.

And then it was off to the MK for the Extra Magic Hours.

We got to see the Dream Lights for the first time:

Thanksgiving2012036.jpg

And the new show projected on the castle. I have some more photos of this from another visit we made on this trip, but here's one for now:

Thanksgiving2012040.jpg

We have been to the MK on the Sunday before Thanksgiving before. Tonight it was not as crowded as we had seen in the past few years. It really started to cool off, and people probably headed out because of the cold. That was great for us. There were no lines for any of the rides. We went ahead and rode a few, but we were cold too. So, we didn't make it to 3 am. Fail.

We made it back to the Fort, and did a little late night looping. There weren't many open sites.

That's all I have for Sunday.

Not to worry, things will pick up from here.

TCD

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK- I cry uncle!!! I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom

Send your daughters on Operation Beefcake for me!

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. S

Yay, first time on the first page!

We were there too, sorry we didn't run into you guys. We had the same ordeal at checkin, there were 3 open sites in 1500 but they were under contract for a big group. We have been told that sites cannot be held, only empty sites that have been officially checked into in person can be held. But the story has changed. Sad part for us, we looped through the first three days of our trip and one of those open sites sat empty. :(

We were offered an upgrade to 800, which was nice, but I was so scatterbrained by this point that I just said nevermind. Bell's very allergic to dogs and I wasn't sure if this would be a problem in a non-partial site.

Looking forward to reading more!

TCD,

Great start!

We havent been to the Fort for Thanksgiving for the past two years, but had been there for the previous eight. It is my favorite time to be there.

I noticed the lanyard to the right of the Thanksgiving Mickey and Minnie.Of course,having been big into the pin trading for many years,I recogonized the two pins in the photo as being "hidden Mickey cast member pins"

Love the fort Christmas Tree.I have quite a few photos of it too.

Ready for more!

Heidi

:jumpforjoy Happy to see another TCD report!

Rocky AND the Mrs? NO WAY?!?! Can't wait to see Rocky tearing up a game of tetherball.

I went through the same thing at the outpost on my last visit. One phone call after another to see where they could put me. After about 15 minutes, I took the original site (In 400's, ironically enough) they had given me.

Sometimes it seems as though no one knows what the heck is going on between the workers.