Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

I don't deny that stroller is nice.  You can reposition the part where the kid rides to face forward or backward, and tilt it a lot of different ways.

I'm sure it's sturdy and will last a long time.

But a thousand bucks?

Come on!

TCD

Says the man who paid a hundred bucks for a shower curtain……...

That is crazy expensive, though.  And even though it looks very high-tech and state of the art, when I saw the baby in the photo the first time all I could think was, what if it tipped forward?  And the parents with their noses in their phones didn't  notice in time to catch it before baby hits the ground face first?

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

That is crazy expensive, though.  And even though it looks very high-tech and state of the art, when I saw the baby in the photo the first time all I could think was, what if it tipped forward?  And the parents with their noses in their phones didn't  notice in time to catch it before baby hits the ground face first?

Touché'.

You're right.

But that shower curtain seems like a bargain now.

I had that same thought about the stroller.  Also, if you're not careful buckling the kid in, there could be problems. I remember my kids could unbuckle themselves a lot sooner than I would have liked. Hopefully stroller restraints have improved since then.

TCD

Some trip reports end with a bang.

Some end with a fizzle.

I'm not even sure if these last four photos even qualify as a fizzle.

But, they're all that's left in the old bucket of photos, so this will be it.

Until the next time.

As planned, we left One Man's Dream and rode Toy Story.

Here's three photos of the new Etch-A-Sketch in the queue:

081_zpsf872c32a.jpg

082_zpsb97f69ee.jpg

083_zps09c2c866.jpg

This is cool and all, but it concerns me a bit that it's set up in the FP return queue.  So, does this mean that we should anticipate standing and waiting in the FP return queue?  I guess it does.  So, that's not cool.

One item of small interest that I forgot to point out earlier is that the official close time of Hollywood Studios that night was 9:30 pm.  That was what was on the Times Guide, and also on the Tip Board.  But, the return time on our paper FP's was 9:15-10:00.  What would happened at 9:30?  We found out.  They did close the stand-by line at 9:30.  There were a lot of guests in the line, but they stopped letting new ones in at 9:30.  However, they still let guests with FP's with the 10 pm return time in.  I guess that isn't going to be important to anyone, as there are no more paper FP's.

It was about 9:45 after our last ride.  The park was closed.  And had really emptied out.  We were done.  We had come and said goodbye to our old friend.  The opportunity to ride rides back to back with no wait, like we had this evening, appears to be a thing of the past.  It was fun while it lasted.

We took a nice leisurely stroll to the front of the park.  It's not often that we have been in Hollywood Studios when it was as empty as it was that night.  Our car was in the parking lot, and the plan was to get in it and head home directly from there.

Which meant the girls needed to make a pit stop.

I got to wait here by the stroller rental area:

084_zps14be058f.jpg

That area is usually mass chaos when we enter the park, so I've never really stopped to appreciate the theming that they have going on here.  It's really well done.  I also haven't looked at WDW stroller rental prices in a long time.  Do you know how much it costs to rent a double stroller from Disney?  $33!  For one day.  Wow.  I can't remember what it cost back in the day, but I promise you it was nowhere near $33.  I guess this helps that company selling the thousand dollar strollers.  If you did the math, you'd probably come out ahead buying one of those.

I wasn't kidding about the fizzle.

That's all I have for you.

It looks like there will be some kind of spring break Fort trip for the TCD gang.  It's complicated because the girls' spring breaks overlap.  But, we are working out the details.  So, I'll be back.

For now, though, TCD is out.

TCD

Thanks as always for a great trip report, you always bring new things to the table for us to see on our next trip. My wife still thanks you for school bread at least 4 every trip now, and over our New Years trip she managed to get a Dole Whip at the Poly and bring it home, that was over a 15 hour car ride home. It's still in the freezer and she only takes a spoonful every once in a while, she said it has to last till our next trip( March)

Thanks as always for a great trip report, you always bring new things to the table for us to see on our next trip. My wife still thanks you for school bread at least 4 every trip now, and over our New Years trip she managed to get a Dole Whip at the Poly and bring it home, that was over a 15 hour car ride home. It's still in the freezer and she only takes a spoonful every once in a while, she said it has to last till our next trip( March)

The School Bread I heard of from someone else here on ff.net.  I think it was (MIA) DIT.

The self-serve Dole Whip machine we found on our own.  Your wife is a genius!  How did she get it home without it melting?  The last time your were there you didn't have your RV, so I know you couldn't have had it in the freezer.  And she has some kind of self control. No way could I just eat one spoonful every once in a while.

TCD

The School Bread I heard of from someone else here on ff.net.  I think it was (MIA) DIT.

The self-serve Dole Whip machine we found on our own.  Your wife is a genius!  How did she get it home without it melting?  The last time your were there you didn't have your RV, so I know you couldn't have had it in the freezer.  And she has some kind of self control. No way could I just eat one spoonful every once in a while.

TCD

The New Years trip we were in a Tree House, she made a very large one then worked real hard to fit it in a soda cup we washed out( she did have to eat some to make it fit, at least that's the story she is sticking with) then just saved it in the freezer. Then I packed it with the freezer cooler for the trip home, I still tease her about it. Plus she has one School Bread left,talk about self control

The New Years trip we were in a Tree House, she made a very large one then worked real hard to fit it in a soda cup we washed out( she did have to eat some to make it fit, at least that's the story she is sticking with) then just saved it in the freezer. Then I packed it with the freezer cooler for the trip home, I still tease her about it. Plus she has one School Bread left,talk about self control

That's a great story, and something for me to remember to try on a future trip.  I guess a Styrofoam drink cup would work good.  Plus, I only have an hour and a half to drive on a good day.

What do you think would happen if you snuck a spoonful every now and then?

TCD

What do you think would happen if you snuck a spoonful every now and then?

TCD

Don't flame me for this but I am not a fan of Dole Whips, I always get a Red Stripe when she gets her Dole Whip at the Poly, but I think she marks the cup like our parents did with the booze bottles back in the day :rofl2:

I know I m behind the times on commenting but that is LOL funnnnn eeeee.  :rofl2:

A giant Etch-A-Sketch is definitely above fizzle status.    Since Toy Story has been practically running on a loop for at least 7years at our house, I got the messages.  "Hey Howdy Hey"!  

Great reporting as always.

KFK

Great TR!  

Finally have a slow day at work to catch up on things.

Thanks for posting!

Looks like you're going to have page 20 bragging rights all to yourself!

Don't flame me for this but I am not a fan of Dole Whips, I always get a Red Stripe when she gets her Dole Whip at the Poly, but I think she marks the cup like our parents did with the booze bottles back in the day :rofl2:

No flames from me.  Why should I care if someone likes Dole Whip or not?  I never noticed that they served Red Stripe there, Mon.

Lines on booze bottles?  I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

I know I m behind the times on commenting but that is LOL funnnnn eeeee.   :rofl2:

A giant Etch-A-Sketch is definitely above fizzle status.    Since Toy Story has been practically running on a loop for at least 7years at our house, I got the messages.  "Hey Howdy Hey"!  

Great reporting as always.

KFK

Good job on the Etch-A-Sketch.  I should have taken some more photos for you- there were quite a few of those words to guess.

TCD

I enjoyed the trip report, they are always entertaining. Still trying to erase the image from my mind of the woman not from this land with the tight pants, though. Good to know we can look forward to a spring break TR, maybe we will bump into you, we'll be visiting 3/12-16. Sadly, we will not be at the Fort but I plan on making it over for a GAG that Friday or Saturday night :)

Andrew, another great trip. So glad with all the girls gone you still managed to get two trips to Disney. We will be at the fort for a week during the week of March 17th for spring break. Hope to see you then

Great report. So sad to see our old friend go. Feel like yesterday I was explaining how to use the old fast pass system and now it's gone. I could live with the new system if they wouldn't Tier it.

Or limit it to one park

I enjoyed the trip report, they are always entertaining. Still trying to erase the image from my mind of the woman not from this land with the tight pants, though. Good to know we can look forward to a spring break TR, maybe we will bump into you, we'll be visiting 3/12-16. Sadly, we will not be at the Fort but I plan on making it over for a GAG that Friday or Saturday night :)

Your trip is right around the corner.  My next trip, if all goes according to plan, will be before yours.  Great idea heading over to the Fort for a GAG.  It's the best deal in WDW.

As always enjoyed your report.

Wish I could have met you while I was there for WWW.

I can't believe that neither you nor Gwen got a picture. I mean how do we know you didn't pay her to say she saw you there?

Sorry that I didn't get to the WWW campsites.  But, I was on a tight schedule, and Gwen told me that most of the Wild Womenz were whooping it up at Downtown Disney that night.

I understand you skepticism about whether of not Gwen and I really bumped in to each other.  I know I have spun a yarn before.  But, I don't think Gwen has.  At least not too many times.  In fact, I can only remember it happening once.

Because TCD never spins yarns,.  Just the hard, cold facts ma'am. .  C:-)    :raspberry2:

Exactly.

Well, kind of.

A tradition of excellence continues.

Thank you sir.

Thank you, Aaron.

Now the floor is wide open for you to begin yours!

Andrew, another great trip. So glad with all the girls gone you still managed to get two trips to Disney. We will be at the fort for a week during the week of March 17th for spring break. Hope to see you then

Thanks, Dave.

Speaking of trips to Disney, there was another one just this past Saturday.  Like two days ago.  Maybe I can scrape up a little more bonus content to keep this TR going a bit longer.

As I said above, I'm probably going to be back to the Fort before mid-March.  But, maybe I'll make it over again while you're there.  The girls really want to see the new parade.  If we don't see it in early March, I'm sure we will be back.

Great report. So sad to see our old friend go. Feel like yesterday I was explaining how to use the old fast pass system and now it's gone. I could live with the new system if they wouldn't Tier it.

Agreed.  The tiering is especially bad at Epcot.

Or limit it to one park

I agree with this too.  Hopefully that is something that is in the works.

TCD

I heard from the Trolls that you popped in to the Fort Saturday. Bummer we didn't get to meet. 

I know.

I walked by your site twice on Saturday morning.  The first time, it appeared everyone was still asleep.

The second time, your golf cart was gone.

I saw Curt from Fort Camper Rental on my second time past your site.

And, I saw the Trolls.

Too bad you missed me.

But it's not all bad news- I have some more bonus material now!

TCD

Guess what?

There's more!

I honestly didn't know that when I posted the fizzle on Friday.

I did know that there had been talk of a visit to WDW by the twins on Saturday.  But, I didn't think they were serious.  And even if they were, I thought I would sit this one out.

Friday night, Twin #2 called to let us know that the trip was on.  Not only was it on, but she was already in Gainesville at Twin #1's apartment.

This was not approved by me, but this kind of thing happens.  The twins are 18 and away at college, and that has given them the idea that they are adults and can do as they please.

Which I guess is technically true.  We still try our best to control things, though.

So, the TCD twins said they were going to pop down to WDW for a day trip on Saturday.  Since I'm a pretty nice guy and also show up with cash, they invited me along.  I was really on the fence.  But, I finally decided to go. I'm lucky that I was invited, and I hadn't seen the girls for two weeks.  So, why not?

The weather had been nasty all of last week, and the girls weren't up for trying to make it for rope drop, so the plan was to make FP+ reservations for the afternoon at a park we thought might be slower.  And meet at another park at 10:30 or 11 and maybe try standby lines for the attractions there, eat a late lunch, then hop to the afternoon park.

That was a simple enough plan.

So, I booked us some afternoon times at AK for the safari, EE and Dinosaur.

And, I headed over to WDW around 7:30.  I knew I would get there early, but I thought I might take a quick spin around the Fort before meeting up with the twins.

I arrived at the Fort a little after 9.  Nice.  I got the idea on the way over that I could stop by Trail's End and get a bagel breakfast sandwich off of the secret menu.  And maybe see if I could find some Fiends.

I told the guard I was here to freeload in the pool, and he waved my right in.

I parked in the overflow lot, and headed to the bus stop.

I was hoping for an Orange bus.  I was thinking I'd hop off at the Meadow Trading Post and look for The Troll.

But, a Yellow bus was sitting there waiting for me.  I took it.  And got off at the 1500 loop bus stop.

And that is where our extra bonus photos begin:

2113001_zps1063f57e.jpg

I had driven through some rain and fog on the way over, but when I arrived at the Fort, it looked like it was clearing. The bus driver told me that the last weather report he heard that morning said that the rain was done and that it was going to clear up.  Good.

Hey, they have an old style bench here in the 1500 loop bus stop.  This one has seen better days:

2113002_zpsb2a15942.jpg

You can see that things are kind of soggy around the Fort this morning, and the sky is gray:

2113003_zpsb5608071.jpg

But, the rain had stopped.  So, I figured I would take a nice walk across yonder bridge:

2113004_zpsc7fba420.jpg

I love the 1500 loop, and I love this bridge.  People that do nothing but loop on golf carts miss out on this type of thing, and this area of the Fort.  Not me. I walk across this bridge every chance I get.  And If I'm in the 1500 loop that could mean several times a day:

2113005_zpsb9f04c73.jpg

Don't worry about the no pet sign.  Nobody pays attention to it.  They're apparently not serious about it.  It's more like a suggestion.

The water in the canal doesn't look so good.  Kind of low.  Kind of scummy.  We will find out in just a bit why.  In the meantime, enjoy the view from the bridge.  I did.  You can see some of the sites on the 1300 loop that back up to the canal toward the back of the photo:

2113006_zpse8c407f2.jpg

Here's a look back at the 1500 loop bus stop:

2113007_zps18ca938c.jpg

The 1500 loop bus stop is unique in a couple of respects.  First, it is only one of two loops with its own bus stop.  Second, the 1500 loop bus stop is the only bus stop with a back wall.  Which is nice when it's raining.  And also nice for the guests who are camping in the site right behind it.  Oh, and do you know that the 1500 loop is the smallest loop in the Fort.  Maybe not size-wise, although I think it is, but definitely site wise.  It has the least number of sites out of all the loops.  But it still has its own bus stop. 

If those facts interest you, then I am offering bragging rights to the first person who can tell me the other loop which has its own bus stop, and also which loop is the second smallest site-wise.

I love the view of the Meadow Recreation Area after crossing the bridge-there's the volleyball court on the left, and the tennis courts on the right:

2113008_zps7b616935.jpg

Here's a better look at the tennis courts.  There aren't very many WDW resorts with tennis courts:

2113009_zps1dceec01.jpg

The pool is straight ahead from here:

2113010_zpscd21442c.jpg

Here's a better look at the Volleyball court, the playground and even a picnic table:

2113011_zps0c49c15d.jpg

The pavilion they have over here by the pool is very nice- it has picnic tables and even a couple of big grills:

2113012_zps84ab6695.jpg

Here's an unusual scene- every chair at the pool is open, and nobody has shown up with towels and things to try to save them for later:

2113013_zps4a4de605.jpg

There's the Fort's pool slide.  It's a pretty nice slide:

2113014_zps6b0e589f.jpg

Here's a look at the canal along this stretch of the sidewalk.  Still scummy.  Also low.  You can see on the banks how high the water normally is.  There's some more 1300 loop sites across the way:

2113015_zpsf49a2d6b.jpg

You can see that the life guards are already on duty and dressed for arctic temperatures.  I'm in shorts and a t-shirt.  It is already in the 60's and is supposed to be getting warmer.  I guess nobody told the lifeguards:

2113016_zpsa3a76223.jpg

Here's a look across the canal at the Meadow Trading Post:

2113017_zpsaaebab7f.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of the splash zone.  This was closed at some point in the past few months for refurbishment.  It looks clean and all, but it looks kind of weathered and beat-up to me:

2113018_zps9fe0a04f.jpg

2113019_zpsc684a987.jpg

Those green covers they have on the pipes don't look right to me.

Here's another look across toward the Meadow Trading Post.  My favorite big sycamore tree has lost all of its leaves in the past few weeks, which means it is officially winter:

2113020_zps25d7759e.jpg

I really like that view.  I'm going to have to remember to stop and take a photo from this very spot in the spring.  It will be neat to see how different things look with leaves on that big tree.

Here's something new:

2113021_zpsad46ed53.jpg

What's this?  It's a new sign for something called Fishin' at the Fort.  Sponsored by Take Me Fishing . org

2113022_zpsf9d4f46c.jpg

What's this all about.  I haven't heard about this.  Have you?

Do they want people to fish over there- in that green mess?:

2113023_zpsa40c87cb.jpg

Bob's dock and my secret picnic table are both vacant.  That's a good thing:

2113024_zpsf0603e66.jpg

Now we're on the bridge to the Meadow Trading Post, looking down at the canal.  In this photo, you can see the banks of the canal are way above the water level:

2113025_zpsf2bb0e41.jpg

Here we are behind the Trading Post- the sycamore is bare, but the azalea plants are already blooming. This is not right:

2113026_zpsc30312cc.jpg

These azaleas are supposed to wait until spring to bloom.  They should not be blooming on February 1st:

2113027_zpse98fcab8.jpg

There's the back porch.  It has customers already this morning:

2113028_zps0ebb8615.jpg

Here we are looking across to the Bike Barn.  Note that it now has a new Fishin' at the Fort sign on the fence:

2113029_zps03df7328.jpg

2113030_zpsae0257cc.jpg

I'm still not sure what those new fishing signs are all about.

We will revisit that issue in just a bit.

For now, that's 30 photos.

In case you're wondering, I have quite a few more.  So don't run off just yet.

TCD

I know.

I walked by your site twice on Saturday morning.  The first time, it appeared everyone was still asleep.

The second time, your golf cart was gone.

I saw Curt from Fort Camper Rental on my second time past your site.

And, I saw the Trolls.

Too bad you missed me.

But it's not all bad news- I have some more bonus material now!

TCD

Darn! We were up. The boy scouts made sure of that. We were just hiding from the rain for a bit and probably headed out for the MK about 10:30.