WBI Family To Buy or Not to Buy, Camper Question

I agree with what everyone else has already said.  Except, I didn't grow up camping.  But, I grew up in a rural area, playing outside in the woods, streams and fields, so it wasn't that much of a leap.  My husband's family had a little TT they kept at a CG in the Poconos and they went to it every weekend in the summer, so he was all about it.

We didn't get into camping until our kids were 6 and 4.  Tented for a couple of years, then pop-up for a couple of years, now on our second TT 7 years later.  But, if we had discovered it before then, I'd have done it even when they were still in diapers.  I can remember being in hotels and time shares and not letting them crawl around on those filthy floors, or holding them mid-air in the shower to bathe them because I didn't want to set them in the bathtub.  God only knows what people do in hotel rooms!  At least with an RV, the dirt is primarily from your own family and you are sleeping on your own sheets.  Not to mention, when the kids get older, you can't exactly tell them to go out and play at a hotel.  You have to go with them.  At a campground, they can play right there under your awning or someplace outside where you can still keep an eye on them and read or cook dinner or watch a football game.

Speaking of meals, I echo what MD said.  The savings on eating out is tremendous.  And, you end up eating better and don't have to wait with a beeper with tired starving kids at the witching hour.  Heck you can all sit around in your pjs and eat dinner while watching a Disney DVD if you want.

We were without a camper for about 6 months this past year after we sold ours to MD and moved to PA.  Although we can afford to stay in a hotel if we wanted to, we busted out our old family tent and stayed in it a couple of times because we missed camping so much.  It really is hard to explain to people who don't get it.

ETA:  we also went to several RV shows.  I know a lot of the dealers at the big one in Hershey last year would give you a flyer and tell you they'd honor the same prices for a certain time period after the show ended.  We got ours at the end of the month as someone mentioned.  Sales quotas to meet I guess.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, if I didn't know any better I'd say there are a bunch of people that like camping in here....except one old curmudgeon. :dogsnicker:

Now where did you read that I didn't like camping? Just the opposite.

Some of our best memories are from the trips we did make. Both of us miss not being able to do it.

I say go for it if you're going to use it.

The only thing I have to add is I bought my first TT last year and I'm one of those that doesnt get to go very far very often but we have absolutely LOVED the fact that I can take it out locally, even if it's only 20 minutes away, camping is better than sitting at home anyday of the week.  I say go for it.  My littles ones 3 and 5 LOVE to camp, it's the first thing they ask me on Friday evenings when I get home..   I also have 3 teenagers, it's been theraputic for us all.  Heck, we have even done some drive way camping and had a great time. 

Similar advice from the opposite side. I wish we had explored the camper route when my kids were little. I'm sure you've heard it before, but I'll repeat it -- in a blink of the eye he/she/they will be teenagers with friends, activities, jobs and drivers licenses of their own. If you think you might want to do it, do it now.   We've tent camped and it's fun but a lot of equipment, set up and take down, and subject to the weather.  

If you have doubts about families and camping, check out this article in todays Tampa Bay Times.

Hope this link works...  http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/more-people-can-live-in-an-rv-than-you-think/2161382

They are at the Tampa RV show this weekend.

Dad, Mom and 12 kids crisscrossing the country in an RV

Follow the adventures of the Kellogg family at KelloggShow.com. They also document their travels on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

I was raised camping with my parents, best I can remember they had a 16' Shasta, and moved up to a slightly larger camper from there. Some of my fondest memories are climbing up on the counter of the Shasta to get into the top bunk to go to bed :)
DW and I purchased our first camper in 2009, the time was finally right for us to take the leap. Since then we are on our 3rd camper (hopefully we will have this one for a while) and couldn't be more happy about the camping lifestyle. We started both of our daughters camping at 4 weeks old and now the oldest can barely contain herself when she sees the camper hooked up to the truck. We mostly do long weekend trips and have found that for us if its less than 3 nights it ends up being less enjoyable. We made it out 34 nights last year and I think that is about average for us since we started camping.

This year will be the first year where we do more longer trips than shorter ones, we have 2 trips planned that are 1 week each. It will cut down on our long weekend trips since we both work and have to be mindful of vacation time. I guess this will let us know if the longer trips work better for us or not.

Only advice I could give is to take your time and look at as much as you can before you pull the trigger. There are so many different options out there it will make your head spin.

I've got a different perspective. I did not buy my camper till my boys were older, BUT me and my boys tent camped for years together with Scouts, then I started tent camping at the Fort.

The nice advantage of having the camper when the boys are older is that they can join us at Disney more often. We can offer them a place to stay without any extra cost to them or us (Throw up a tent in behind us). All they have to do is get here, and buy tickets if they choose. Throwing an extra steak on the grill or a few extra eggs in the morning is cheap :)

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the input, it was really helpful.  We've been doing a lot of shopping both in person and online over the last two months. 

I've actually found that we could get a new trailer for basically the same price as a used one or in some cases even cheaper if we're willing to drive to pick it up.

That being said, after looking at tons of floor plans and trailer types we've decided on a fifth wheel.   It's a little bigger than we thought we'd get but we plan to keep it a long time and we were able to get it for a great price that was cheaper than similar TTs.  In all our shopping we found that looking to buy in the winter helped and hurt us, the bad part was inventory in the south wasn't what we expected, but dealers further north were willing to cut some really good deals (ours is in Ohio).

We don't take delivery or finalize everything for another month but we did put down a deposit on it so we are super excited!  As soon as we see it I'll take plenty of pictures and post them for everyone.

Thanks again for all the help!

WBI

Thanks everyone we're excited!

Been dealing with them since 1977. Family owned and now run by the sons and daughter. Which salesperson?

That's great news, thanks!

We're actually dealing with their internet sales arm of the company (wholesale rv club) the dealer is Matt. I was nervous about using the internet deal but I figured out it was Colerain and everything goes through them except the internet pricing!

It sounds like thier pre delivery walk through/demo is very good and thorough we cant wait.

WBI

It sounds like thier pre delivery walk through/demo is very good and thorough we cant wait.

WBI

It usually takes about an hour and definitely don't be afraid to ask questions. Actually after I retired they wanted me to start doing the delivery walk throughs, but I really didn't want to go back to work.