• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tired of all the negativity around here.   I'm going to look at the bright side.   I will have a clear and unobstructed view of the new Four Seasons as I pull through the check-in lanes.   TCD

Not exactly. During our weekly brunch, Joey, he prefers that over Jose, said that he got so many complaints last week about the lack of firewood, that he had to take action just to please those folks.

I was hoping they were going to say to it was for the new Monorail platform. :rofl3:

• 2 weeks later...

When I still lived at home, we had several large old pine trees in our yard, and you could pretty much count on them to drop limbs during every high wind storm. We had no garage and parked under the trees. When t-storms and hurricanes were approaching, it was SOP to move the cars to an un-treed section of the yard just in case. Plus we had two or three struck by lightning, and also pine bore beetles attacked a group of trees. When that happens, you are pretty much required to clear cut any pine within a fairly large radius of the affected one to prevent their spread, and they will kill trees in very short order.

I did have one limb put a sizable dent in my car door as it fell once during a storm which is what prompted our car moving exercises. They are as mentioned and shown fairly shallow rooted trees and in the sandy Florida soil that doesn't make for the greatest stability when they get nice and tall.

When I still lived at home, we had several large old pine trees in our yard, and you could pretty much count on them to drop limbs during every high wind storm. We had no garage and parked under the trees. When t-storms and hurricanes were approaching, it was SOP to move the cars to an un-treed section of the yard just in case. Plus we had two or three struck by lightning, and also pine bore beetles attacked a group of trees. When that happens, you are pretty much required to clear cut any pine within a fairly large radius of the affected one to prevent their spread, and they will kill trees in very short order.

I did have one limb put a sizable dent in my car door as it fell once during a storm which is what prompted our car moving exercises. They are as mentioned and shown fairly shallow rooted trees and in the sandy Florida soil that doesn't make for the greatest stability when they get nice and tall.

True.

And that is all well and good.

But, have you ever taken a look how many pine trees there are in the camping  loops at the Fort?

TCD

We've lost an average of one pine (80-100 feet) every 2-3 years since I have lived here.  We also had 25 taken out closest to the house.  23 we paid for two were mistakenly cut down by the contractor.  We still got too many and a few could probably reach the house.  One neighbor took out all of his.  The other neighbor took out most of his, but a couple hang over where I park.  I also move vans when a storm threatens.

We've been in our current home for 39 years.  When we moved in, the back half of our backyard was dense forest, including several pine trees.

In the storms through the years we've lost so many trees that we're now replanting.

Not one of the downed trees was a pine.  The majority were maple trees with a few oaks and sycamores.  Go figure.

• 3 months later...

A monorail station AND a turkey leg stand are being built at Fort Wilderness!  So exciting!  ;)

Y'all are hilarious!

What, you thought we were kidding about that?

We never kid around here. It's always serious business.

If you read it here, it's true. maybe 1% of the time.

Sweet about time the buses that are breaking down all the time are replaced by the modern monorail.

It's a good thing that monorail expansion will never happen at WDW, because if it did, guess who'll have to pay the 150 million dollar per mile cost?

And that's a conservative estimate.

It's a good thing that monorail expansion will never happen at WDW, because if it did, guess who'll have to pay the 150 million dollar per mile cost?

And that's a conservative estimate.

At least the monorail is reliable. Just yesterday we got on it at the MK at 5:00 and arrived at the Polynesian at 5:30.

• 1 year later...

Even though we all hated that they thinned out the trees between the sites over the years, and removed others, it's better than this happening...

Tree crushes camper with Wisconsin family of 5 inside

http://www.fox9.com/news/11813234-story

Wow...the 3 year old slept through being knocked out of bed by a tree in a pop up camper...that dude is a stud

Even though we all hated that they thinned out the trees between the sites over the years, and removed others, it's better than this happening...

Wow.

That is frightening.

I've often looked up at some of the towering pine trees at the Fort and wondered what would happen if a big branch fell during a storm.

Not good.

TCD

That's just plain scary!