Ticket Prices Going Up Again.....

I understand operating expenses are rising.  Inflation is an inescapable fact, at least for now.  But the price of a MK one day ticket was raised 4.2%.  Did Disney give 4.2% COLA raises to their employees this year?  Did most of Disney's customers receive 4% raises this year?  How about retirees on Social Security and/or pensions?  There will come a point where these increases hurt sales.  Although I admit the international business is beyond my understanding, so maybe they keep filling the resorts and parks with foreigners despite any future decline in domestic business.  

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do believe the fort prices are now that they are out of my price range for the amount of times I want to go. $92.90 a day in the summer is just out of line during the week. That is 20 bucks differen

Ok. I agree. It's Fat Tursday. Lets have a Hurricane and celebrate our agreement. Lol

It all depends on optics and economics. Optics As a consumer it sucks to have to use a larger percentage of my disposable income to visit the place I enjoy most As a shareholder, I really enjoy the po

Disney is going to raise their prices whether we like it or not.

My question to you my fellow fiends is what is your breaking point?

For me it's not the price increase for the tickets, its all increases. ticket prices, and resort costs increases.

For now we are looking into off property resorts to offset the price increases.

I know our plan is to go before DD is 3 so we can take advantage of her being free (and possibly go before she is 2 so we can lap her on the airplane to save more). But after that it, I don't know. When I think about how many days of work DH has to put in to pay for the trip it is an eye opener.

I know our plan is to go before DD is 3 so we can take advantage of her being free (and possibly go before she is 2 so we can lap her on the airplane to save more). But after that it, I don't know. When I think about how many days of work DH has to put in to pay for the trip it is an eye opener.

My Disney budget may be going to cover the increased deductibles and co-insurances for my healthcare plan.  

Disney is going to raise their prices whether we like it or not.

My question to you my fellow fiends is what is your breaking point?

For me it's not the price increase for the tickets, its all increases. ticket prices, and resort costs increases.

For now we are looking into off property resorts to offset the price increases.

I am there Ray.  I am planning on staying off property now.  I will only be staying on property for probably Halloween.  The only consolation is this place because fortunately I am not the only one at the breaking point and I will have company commuting.  I will keep my AP (at least one) so I can go back and forth and park.

Interesting article on Bloomberg about prices and how, when adjusted for inflation, multi-day tickets actually went down.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-25/disneys-magic-kingdom-nears-100-tickets-and-the-crowds-keep-coming?campaign_id=yhoo

That $25 increase in AP costs is a 6 1/2% increase.  I don't know what the premium site increases are, but together it begions to add up for a family of four (in our case).  Who knows WHAT gas prices are going to do...one day down...next day way up.

We're going to Pigeon Forge for the July 4th week.  It's closer.  It's cheaper (for now).  There are lots of campgrounds around.  There are lots of off-Dollywood acitvities around.  Did you know there is a Bush Bean museum close by...with a movie about the history of the company?  Ok, maybe not a big draw, but it's free.  And Shawnee loves any variety of their Baked Beans.  No need for Ohaaanna with Bush nearby.   Not to be confused with Obama blaming Bush.  Ok, enough already.

That $25 increase in AP costs is a 6 1/2% increase.  I don't know what the premium site increases are, but together it begions to add up for a family of four (in our case).  Who knows WHAT gas prices are going to do...one day down...next day way up.

We're going to Pigeon Forge for the July 4th week.  It's closer.  It's cheaper (for now).  There are lots of campgrounds around.  There are lots of off-Dollywood acitvities around.  Did you know there is a Bush Bean museum close by...with a movie about the history of the company?  Ok, maybe not a big draw, but it's free.  And Shawnee loves any variety of their Baked Beans.  No need for Ohaaanna with Bush nearby.   Not to be confused with Obama blaming Bush.  Ok, enough already.

:rofl2:

Let me start off by saying we haven't been in a Disney park in about 3 or 4 years since our FL resident seasonal pass ran out.

Disney will keep raising prices until the majority of the people feel like they are not getting their moneys worth.

I don't think that majority will ever happen.  There are always a lot of people that will take the plunge and go to WDW no matter what the cost.

It all depends on an individuals (families) perspective.

Lets use the Florida State Fair as an example.  Admission is $9 for adults and $5 for kids.  At the present time parking is free, but they used to charge $5 per car.  Rides will cost you anywhere from $3 to 6 dollars per ride, or $15 to $30 for an unlimited ride armband.  Most shows are free, though some do have a seperate admission.  So by looking at these prices, a family of 4 not going on a discount day,  can get in and ride all day and night for about $150.  Not much more than a single days admission to the MK for 1 person.

Can the family have fun?  They sure can.  Is the fair as well maintained as a Disney Park... not by a long shot.  Are the ride attendents as helpful and friendly as Disney employees, he** no.  Do you have top notch rides and shows.  Yes and no. Can you feel safe and secure there, that depends.

It's all perspective.  If that same family did go to a Disney Park, would they ever be able to go back to the fair and enjoy it as much?  Probably not.  They would still have fun, but they would then be comparing the fair visit to what they got at Disney.  Rides, shows, fireworks, boat/train/monorail transportation, cleanliness, safety.

Universal, Busch, and Seaworld are all in the same boat.  They will keep raising prices until attendance drops drastically, and I don't think that will ever happen.  Like the old saying "There's a sucker born every minute".  Someone will always be available to spend their hard earned $$ at an amusement park.  It just may take them longer to save up to go.

The same applies the Fort.

Have the prices gone up over the years?  Heck yeah.  First time we camped in 77 I think we paid about $12 or $15 for a site. 

Are the current rates worth it? 

Again perspective. 

Looking back at what you used to pay, you will probably say no.

Now compare the Forts rates to other campgrounds and then include the extras you get included in your nightly rate.

Boat rides, cleanliness, decent sites, no extra charge for up to 10 people,  well kept up infrastructure, bus rides (OK maybe not a big plus to some), you're on Disney property, etc., etc.

I've seen where others have paid close to or more per night at KOA's.  And I've seen where others have been able to spend a week or more at some campgrounds for the cost of 2 nights at the Fort.

To us, though the price is high, it's worth it, because we don't go to the parks and we utilize and enjoy the Forts various amenities.  That plus we can resort hop.  We always find something to do from the time we get up to the time we turn in.  Being at the Fort is not a relaxing vacation since there is always something going on or to do. 

If you're dropping big bucks to camp and only spend a few hours out of the day at the Fort, then you probably feel like you're not getting your moneys worth.

But that's just my perspective.

And whether it's their crappy reservation system, the way that people book and cancel dates at the last minute, or some other reason, they seem like they are doing something right because it seems like the sites are always booked up.

So if the high prices drive some people away, there is probably a waiting list of newcomers to fill the sites...until they get fed up or priced out of coming.

OK, I'm done rambling on...

OMG what a shock!!!

Universal Orlando raises prices days after Walt Disney World tickets go up
By Susan Jacobson, Orlando Sentinel

1:27 a.m. EST, February 27, 2014

Just days after Walt Disney World raised ticket prices, Universal Orlando announced it is raising prices, too.

Starting immediately, a one-day, single-park "base" adult ticket is $96 plus tax, up from $92. The price for a child's ticket jumped from $86 to $90.

A one-day, two-park ("park-to-park") ticket went from $128 to $136 for adults and $122 to $130 for children.

A two-day "base" ticket to either Universal Studios Florida or Universal's Islands of Adventure increased from $146.99 to $155.99 for adults and $136.99 to $145.99 for children.

A two-day, "park-to-park" pass went from $166.99 to $195.99 for adults and from $156.99 to $185.99 for children.

Full article... http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-universal-orlando-raises-prices-20140226,0,3569829.story

Just found this article. Admission tickets are now 5 times more expensive than the 70's.

The magic band quote is interesting...

According to Disney, there’s good reason for the almost annual upward price adjustments. The hikes, Disney spokeswoman Kim Punty told Newsday, reflect the high quality of the parks. Disney World is merely balancing out the money it spends on improving the rides, attractions, and technology offered to those who make it through their turnstiles. Most recently, the company spent $1.5 billion on high tech wristbands and is on the verge of launching its latest attraction, a new Seven Dwarfs themed fantasyland.

+

I know that I sound like a spoiled local because I am hollering about the prices, and to a point I am. However, I do understand the cost of doing business (however 1.5 billion on wristbands would have not been my choice) dictates how much a customer is charged. I also understand that if I cannot afford to go, I don't go, period. It just saddens me that our salaries have not increased as a whole to match the price increases Disney continues to implement on a yearly basis. Because of that I must now make a choice of either staying off property and going to the parks or staying on property and not going to the parks. I do believe we may just keep one annual pass now instead of the whole family. For people who used to go quite often, it is quite a bummer.

I see on other places on the interwebs that locals are actually calling Disney greedy and out of line and all sorts of other lewd labels for this. After 911, Disney was begging people to come back and gave all kinds of discounts to get people to start coming back. Locals desperately want that to stay and it has long since left and gone. The sense of bitterness about it astounds me.

If I sound bitter about the price increases, I really am not. It is just a sign that my days of going many times and hanging out at the Fort have past. Times change and nothing quite stays the same, no matter how much we would like it to.

I will still go, visit the Fort, go to the parks, and hang out with Fiends. Each year changes the sequence and regularity of that happening.

The only thing that has stayed the same is the RV payment.

Sadly this summer is probably the last trip we will take to WDW and the Fort for many years.  Mainly due to the age of my children and wanting to take them out west.  However the high cost of Disney is the other reason.  Disney will likely become a one and done for many families, given this current rate of inflation.

Disney will likely become a one and done for many families, given this current rate of inflation.

That very well might be the case for us. We started with planning a trip to the fort in 2015, but were able to work out the trip this May. Now I'm wondering with the prices going up a couple times between our 2014 and 2015 trip if it will be worth it. The only thing that might bring us back in 2015 is another couple families were wanting to make the trek down with us. But for what it will cost us to stay for 10 - 14 days in 2015 it might just be hard to justify it.