Looked at my schedule today and I'm not on it as a bus driver. So that's a wrap. My last day driving a bus was in fact my last day driving a WDW bus.

It would have been 6 years later this month. I never planned to be one and didn't request to be one. Casting was even more desperate then than they are now and bent over backwards for me to be one. They gave me whatever days I wanted and I could be scheduled for only 2 days, and they didn't have to be weekend days. That's unheard of today. I and a bunch of other guys got special training in order to get us into a bus quickly, which has never been repeated. It was grueling. I had gotten my license and was working as a bus driver in less than 3 weeks.

At the beginning I worked 4 days a week, but towards the end, I was down to 1, 2, sometimes no days a week.

Except for the past year, those shifts were during the day. It was, past tense, a good situation. The switch to working very late nights hastened my desire to transfer.

Bus drivers are at the top of the food chain as far as costumed CMs go and the job does carry a certain amount of prestige, but it also comes with a fair amount of responsibility. A mistake at the wrong time is literally a life or death situation. I will admit that I didn't want that responsibilty anymore. I wanted something where people are not depending on me except to tell them where to go or what to do.

It was fun, I did it real well, and I will miss certain aspects of being a WDW bus driver.

So farewell busman, busnut, cranky bus driver, crabby bus driver, MagicBus, captain Lou, it was nice knowing you.

So have you gotten a schedule or report date for training on the new position yet?

I was told that my first week is the week of the 20th. Also that my scheduled work days are Thur, Fri, & Sat, and that I will be called regarding the next step.

Ah, Lou, that was beautifully written.  As I said previously, I will miss the hope of ever seeing you as I board one of those big ol' people haulers.  Although I never was lucky enough to be chauffeured by you, I would like to thank you for safely getting your passengers to their destinations, your conscientiousness as a driver, and the part you played in "making the magic" come alive at Disney.

I know you are eagerly awaiting your new position, as there is always such excitement with a new job on the horizon, and I know you will be wonderful; but sometimes endings are just a little bit sad.  

Best of everything to you!

Ah, Lou, that was beautifully written.  As I said previously, I will miss the hope of ever seeing you as I board one of those big ol' people haulers.  Although I never was lucky enough to be chauffeured by you, I would like to thank you for safely getting your passengers to their destinations, your conscientiousness as a driver, and the part you played in "making the magic" come alive at Disney.

I know you are eagerly awaiting your new position, as there is always such excitement with a new job on the horizon, and I know you will be wonderful; but sometimes endings are just a little bit sad.  

Best of everything to you!

I tried to think of just what I wanted to say on this thread, and Okieheart beat me to it.

Praying your next adventure brings you much joy!