Would love to get feedback on the following questions:

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel):

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:

Gas mileage:

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why:

So...here's an example:

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 26' Hybrid

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 4400 lbs fully loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  2007 Nissan Armada LE

Gas mileage: 9 mpg towing, 13 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it:  like it

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: We'll make a change for more space.  Our truck if fine, but we'd like something with better gas mileage if we continue to tow...considering a Class A as I like the options available (to move around) when driving down the road.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might want to change the title of this thread. I thought it was another joke thread about Dave and his gas issues.

Dave's gas issues are a serious medical condition and we shouldn't poke fun.

I just saw a comercial for "Latoota", I thought it was about Dave

Posted Images

Would love to get feedback on the following questions:

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel):

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:

Gas mileage:

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why:

So...here's an example:

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 22' Terry

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 3400 fully loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  2005 Chevy Avalanche

Gas mileage: 9 mpg towing, 17 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it:  love it

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: Need to replace the Avlanche....it now has 293,000 miles.  Long term we want a class A, for the space and longer trip use as we near retirement. 

You might want to change the title of this thread. I thought it was another joke thread about Dave and his gas issues.

Dave's gas issues are a serious medical condition and we shouldn't poke fun.

I just saw a comercial for "Latoota", I thought it was about Dave

Well I don't have gas issues anymore, so there.  :raspberry:

You boys are no help.... ;)

So...here's mine: What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 42' bunkhouse fifth wheel (Sabre 36QBOK)

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: between 13,500-14,500 pound fifth wheel (the truck + camper come in around 22,000 pounds)

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, with 4.10 gears, and a long bed

Gas mileage: 8.5-11.5 mpg towing, 12-15 not towing (I generally tow at 61-63.)

Do you like it, love it or hate it: or. It is what it is- I hoped for better, but it's a big truck and camper.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I would have opted for smaller gears than he 4.10s. I didn't fully understand the numbers and thought I needed them when I possibly didn't. I love the space of the crew cab and would keep the long bed.

On edit- the camper is exactly what we want right now, it's just a little big. We commonly have my family of 4 and my in-laws along with us. I wanted something that could sleep 6 without using the dinette or living room sofa. For the bunkhouse, I wanted 2 beds that aren't on the ground so that my in-laws would be comfortable. I just wish the whole setup was 6'-8' shorter but there weren't any features that we were willing to do without. A dual-slide bunkhouse, 1 1/2-bath, large shower, side bath (e.g. NOT where the shower is in the master bedroom), u-shaped dinette, and outdoor kitchen. I kept a spreadsheet of 60 or so bunkhouse models when we shopped and this was the one that spoke to us.

(Edited twice now- first to add the "on edit" and the second because my formatting was all messed up. That was a jumbled mess!)

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): - 16 ft 2007 T@B Clamshell Teardrop Travel Trailer

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: - 1710 Dry - 1930 Gross (we were probably a bit overweight this last trip)

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: - 2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.6 V8

Gas mileage: 13 if I'm driving - 10 if Rick is driving

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love them both!!! We will eventually have to get an F-150, not because we want to, but because the Sport Trac is no longer being made. But I'll drive the Sport Trac till the wheels fall off.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: Not a change, but eventually in addition to, we want a mid-size Class C with an enclosed trailer behind for TOAD, Golf Cart, and "stuff" for extensive traveling. I'll never get rid of the T@B.

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 24' 2014 Jayco X23F Hybrid

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 5995 GVWR

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2013 GMC Yukon XL

Gas mileage: 10-11 Towing, 16-21 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): This is the setup we have been looking at since we outgrew the pop up. 3 row seating in the truck with a "trunk" and 3 queen beds in the trailer with a slide out. Plenty of room for all of us and a little to spare. Sure I would love a Class A or C, but we always need a vehicle to explore with and the girls are all comfortable.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: Probably when we get older and there are just the two of us, right now we are a family of 5 and my mother comes along most of the time.

Best Regards,

Norm

What you have 5th wheel

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: truck and camper combined were 24,890lbs last time over the scales.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: F450

Gas mileage: 9-10MPG depending on terrain while towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): We like it, its heavy and big but gives us plenty of room

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I would possibly select a different truck, but am happy enough with this one (my first Ford)

What you have Travel Trailer - 2011 Keystone Outback 301BQ

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: Trailer has 7,000 lb "empty" weight...traveling weight is significantly higher, in the range of 7,800-8,200 lbs.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: Ford E-350 van with 6.8L V10

Gas mileage: 7 MPG or so...

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Like it a lot.  There aren't many combos that work well for families of 7 or more.  Everyone has their own bed, there are plenty of seats to spread out comfortably in the van, and the 1 ton van is a towing beast (albeit a thirsty one). 

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I really want to move back into a class A MH (used to have one), and our plan is to do so when we find the right one and it's the "right time".  Am looking at a significant change in my career in March or April, so it's not the right time to make a large purchase right now.  But after that settles down, and after a kid or two leaves the nest, we'd like to make a change back into a MH to do some longer trips once again. 

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I really want to move back into a class A MH (used to have one), and our plan is to do so when we find the right one and it's the "right time".  Am looking at a significant change in my career in March or April, so it's not the right time to make a large purchase right now.  But after that settles down, and after a kid or two leaves the nest, we'd like to make a change back into a MH to do some longer trips once again. 

Why back to a Class A?  What features do you prefer in a driveable vs TT?

Why back to a Class A?  What features do you prefer in a driveable vs TT?

We enjoyed the actual traveling in a MH more.  Stopping for a night is SO easy...just park it and go to bed.  Push one button and it automatically levels.  My wife can get up (if conditions are safe to do so) and grab a snack or drink, or someone can make a quick bathroom trip.  We keep everyone buckled unless I feel comfortable with them using the bathroom....but the convenience is nice.  The insides tend to be very spacious and homey feeling, and we liked that.  It's nice having the onboard generator.  Some of the floorplans we like now have bunks plus a bath and a half...nice with a big family.  I do like some of the fifth wheel floorplans but none would work for us as we can't all fit into a truck. 

We enjoyed the actual traveling in a MH more.  Stopping for a night is SO easy...just park it and go to bed.  Push one button and it automatically levels.  My wife can get up (if conditions are safe to do so) and grab a snack or drink, or someone can make a quick bathroom trip.  We keep everyone buckled unless I feel comfortable with them using the bathroom....but the convenience is nice.  The insides tend to be very spacious and homey feeling, and we liked that.  It's nice having the onboard generator.  Some of the floorplans we like now have bunks plus a bath and a half...nice with a big family.  I do like some of the fifth wheel floorplans but none would work for us as we can't all fit into a truck. 

Same reasons I like the Class A.  But, I'm wondering if the annual expense isn't higher (vs a TT or 5th wheel)?  Tom likes the idea of a 5th wheel, because he thinks that he'll like driving it over a MH (more stability).   What type of gas mileage did you get in your MH and did you tow a car?  Oh...what does TOAD stand for (I know it's towing a car...but I can't figure out all the letters  :rolleyes: )...

What you have Travel Trailer - 2011 Keystone Outback 301BQ

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: Trailer has 7,000 lb "empty" weight...traveling weight is significantly higher, in the range of 7,800-8,200 lbs.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: Ford E-350 van with 6.8L V10

Gas mileage: 7 MPG or so...

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Like it a lot. There aren't many combos that work well for families of 7 or more. Everyone has their own bed, there are plenty of seats to spread out comfortably in the van, and the 1 ton van is a towing beast (albeit a thirsty one).

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I really want to move back into a class A MH (used to have one), and our plan is to do so when we find the right one and it's the "right time". Am looking at a significant change in my career in March or April, so it's not the right time to make a large purchase right now. But after that settles down, and after a kid or two leaves the nest, we'd like to make a change back into a MH to do some longer trips once again.

You forgot the most important part of your van.

It is great for FF GG field trips!

I'd love to see that spreadsheet, if you're open to sharing it :)

Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0AvEDJnVFaozKdDVLSF9UZ1JXQ1JpamM0UzFicUFodEE&authuser=0

It's a bit outdated. It has columns for the things that were important to us at the time. And interestingly enough, my wife found our camper after we created the spreadsheet.

Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0AvEDJnVFaozKdDVLSF9UZ1JXQ1JpamM0UzFicUFodEE&authuser=0

It's a bit outdated. It has columns for the things that were important to us at the time. And interestingly enough, my wife found our camper after we created the spreadsheet.

Awesome!  Thank you :)

Same reasons I like the Class A.  But, I'm wondering if the annual expense isn't higher (vs a TT or 5th wheel)?  Tom likes the idea of a 5th wheel, because he thinks that he'll like driving it over a MH (more stability).   What type of gas mileage did you get in your MH and did you tow a car?  Oh...what does TOAD stand for (I know it's towing a car...but I can't figure out all the letters  :rolleyes: )...

Expenses of a MH are certainly higher than a towed RV....that's one negative and why I'd only buy another MH if we would use it enough to justify the cost.  (maintenance, insurance, higher initial cost, etc.)

I never found an issue with stability.  Ours was a gasser (same Ford V10 as in my van), and got around 7-8 mpg.  Diesels will typically do better but come with higher initial costs and typically higher maintenance expense.  They also can tow more if you want to pull a larger vehicle.  Most gassers are limited to 5,000 lbs. 

I always thought Toad simply was a cutesy way of saying "towed" vehicle. 

You forgot the most important part of your van.

It is great for FF GG field trips!

You're right.  How could I forget that?

I do like some of the fifth wheel floorplans but none would work for us as we can't all fit into a truck. 

There's always the Automated Safety Hitch behind the van.

Links:

http://www.traveltoast.com/2010/12/top-10-questions-we-get-about-the-safety-hitch/

http://fifthwheelst.com/automated-safety-hitch-system.html

:)