What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): TT, Camplite 21BHS

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: typically about 4500 lbs

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500

Gas mileage: 11.5 MPG towing (21MPG Highway not towing, 15 city)

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love it

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: No change in the near future. When time to replace the truck, wouldn't mind the Ram 1500 with the V-6 Diesel for improved mileage.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might want to change the title of this thread. I thought it was another joke thread about Dave and his gas issues.

Dave's gas issues are a serious medical condition and we shouldn't poke fun.

I just saw a comercial for "Latoota", I thought it was about Dave

Posted Images

I saw the title of this, knowing I'm about to hit the road in a few hours and the first thing that popped into my mind was "I have lousy gas mileage"  B)

Ok but for real...

What you have 33' TT

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: um, camper is 8000-ish, not sure about the truck

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: Ford Excursion V-10

Gas mileage: avg of 8 for the trip from NH-FL (mostly along 95) doing about 60pmh, if it creeps up towards 9 it means the weather is lousy and we're going slower than usual

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love both.  Towing part isn't a party, but it bothers DH more than me - which is ironic since I do most of the driving.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: DH says the next RV will be a MH.  I love some of the 5th wheels, but that presents a problem for us re: tow vehicle and a pickup we can cram 3 dog crates in. Ultimately it'll come down to that and floorplan - because yes... it's all about the dogs.  B)

What you have---    5th wheel,  Pinnacle kpts

Tow vehicle---         single axle semi 

How heavy---          combined weight over 26,000 lbs. (yes, we both have CDL's)

Gas mileage--         6-8 towing,  10 without trailer

Like, love, hate---    Love the 5th wheel.  Semi for a tow vehicle is husbands choice.  Definitely feels safer. Sits higher to give more visibility, and of course more stopping power.

This is our perfect set up.   We started out with truck campers (  way too small )   moved up to a MH ( great for traveling but it sure had maintenance issues....always something in the powertrain  nickel dimming us from sitting inactive for months.)

This is our perfect set up.   We started out with truck campers (  way too small )   moved up to a MH ( great for traveling but it sure had maintenance issues....always something in the powertrain  nickel dimming us from sitting inactive for months.)

Hmmm... never thought about that.

What we had:

Would love to get feedback on the following questions:

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel):

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:

Gas mileage:

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why:

What we had prior to 2006:  32' Airstream Argosy trailer

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:  It weighed about 8,000 pounds loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  F-350 crew cab dually with the golf cart loaded in the bed

Gas mileage:  7.5

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):  We loved both our trailer and the tow vehicle.

If made a change, change to what and why:  Changed to a Class A diesel pusher.  This was our dream for retirement.

What we've had 2006 and after:  2002 Country Coach Intrigue Class A motorhome. Diesel pusher.  

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  No towing right now, but golf cart mounted on Mighty Hauler on the rear.  Hopefully soon we'll have our CR-V as a toad.

Gas mileage:  9.5 - 10.  Don't expect it to change with the toad.

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):  Motorhome is wonderful.  No complaints.  Just routine maintenance.

If made a change, change to what and why:  We don't plan to change until we're both too old to camp.

I don't understand all the comments about motorhome maintenance being so expensive.  Every year a few things break (to be expected on a 12 yo motorhome).  Every other year we have the oil changed (about $200).  Insurance is surprisingly low compared to what we were paying for the TT.  Just drive your moho several times a year.  Turn on the generator every month.  Run the HodroHot/AquaHot every month.  In doing these things you will save a ton on maintenance.  Use what you have.

I don't understand all the comments about motorhome maintenance being so expensive.  Every year a few things break (to be expected on a 12 yo motorhome).  Every other year we have the oil changed (about $200).  Insurance is surprisingly low compared to what we were paying for the TT.  Just drive your moho several times a year.  Turn on the generator every month.  Run the HodroHot/AquaHot evry month.  In doing these things you will save a ton on maintenance.  Use what you have.

Love that last comment :)  Good tip on the maintenance, if we end up going with a MH when we make the change, I'll make sure to remember to (if anything) drive it to a park for lunch once a month :)

I've had everything but a 5er and a Class C.  I like the Class A I have now the best.  I tow a Chevy Equinox behind it.

So My answer to your survey is;

What you have;  32 ft Class A Gas MH on Ford F53 Chassis

I tow the Chevy Equinox behind it.  The MPG on the Chevy goes from 24-29 MPG

The gas milage on the MH is 8.5 MPG without towing and 7.5 MPG towing the Chevy.  They say Diesels get a little better gas milage but the fuel costs more so its a wash.

I bought the MH new so I have not had any chassis issues in the 7 years I've had it.  It is much more comfortable on long trips or extended stays.  I've lived in mine for 3 months at a time with no ill effects.  Its also easier to back into a space at the Fort than any TT or Pop-up. If I was to buy something else it would be another class a with a residential refrig, All tile floors and electric wind shield curtains.  I don't think the bump up to a diesel pusher is worth the $40,000.  The things I don't like about it are all handling issues.  But I had the same problems with trucks passing me when I towed a TT.

2014 kz mxt 310 toy hauler TT 10,000 loaded 36'

2012 f350 srw crew cab 4x4 3:55 rear end 6.7 diesel pull like a fright train never know the trailer is there.

70mph towing 10 mpg on flat 9 in the hills. No trailer 15 mpg in town 18 on the highway.

We had a bigger toy hauler and I wanted smaller and lighter. For now it's a great set up. If I was to change anything it would be to get a used diesel pusher 04 or older. But I really don't want another power train to maintain. We just wouldn't use it enough.

40' triple slide toy hauler approximately 16,000 lbs loaded

F350 cab and chassis flatbed approximately 9,500 lbs

10 mpg towing at 65, 16mpg unloaded

I really like the set up, although the camper is too big at some campgrounds

I'm ready for a new truck, but can't complain about what I have now. I just did a 2400 mile trip to upstate NY to pick up some equipment on the flat bed. 14.9 mpg average at 70 mph with 3,200lbs on the truck coming back.

40' triple slide toy hauler approximately 16,000 lbs loaded

F350 cab and chassis flatbed approximately 9,500 lbs

10 mpg towing at 65, 16mpg unloaded

I really like the set up, although the camper is too big at some campgrounds

I'm ready for a new truck, but can't complain about what I have now. I just did a 2400 mile trip to upstate NY to pick up some equipment on the flat bed. 14.9 mpg average at 70 mph with 3,200lbs on the truck coming back.

What hitch are you using for that setup?

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel):  03 Tiffin Phaeton 40RH (class A diesel) usually pulling a car or minivan on tow dolly

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:  mh loaded for travel is probably around 26500 lbs, car and dolly adds another approx 5000 lbs

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:

Gas mileage: avg fuel mileage since we got it in 2012/08 has been 7.7 mpg (1729 gallons to cover 13292 miles) but that includes fuel used for the generator (we usually camp without electrical hookups during the summer).  High is around 9.75 mpg, low is 2.5 mpg.  If I exclude fillups with significant gen use, I'm probably around 8.5 mpg.  Usually drive about 67 mph on interstates but will probably go as high as 72-75 mph if I want to get there by a certain time.   

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): We like the freedom travelling in a class A gives us (getting food / drinks and access to bathroom while driving, quick stop / go for food / rest / overnight breaks).  The mh is also very nice and luxerious and fully equipped.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: We are 2 adults and 2 kids and 5W and bumper pulls have way better floorplans for families but we would rather not get a larger tow vehicle we'd need to tow it and have to drive that when we are parked so stay with the class A.  Towing a vehicle is kind of a pain especially with the dolly.  We could probably flat tow but we don't always use the same vehicle and neither of our cars (Toyota Sienna and Toyota Solara convertible) are flat-towable without modifications so it would be expensive to setup each of them so we make due with the dolly. 

To summarize.... no matter what you have, gas mileage sucks. 

haha, that's exactly what I was thinking!

What you have---    5th wheel,  Keystone Cougar Xlite 26SAB

Tow vehicle---         2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Gas

How heavy---          Empty the trailer is 7,200lbs haven't weighted it loaded or with the truck

Gas mileage--         Haven't towed with the this truck much but it was 9MPG so far.  Without the trailer 10-11mpg in town, 14-17 highway depending on speed

Like, love, hate---    Love the trailer, its been a great starter trailer, I can see where I would want a bigger bedroom in the future and more space for kids, but for now its perfect.   I would also love to have a self leveling system on the next one.  I really like the truck as my daily driver but I'll have to let you know how it does on long trips after we get back from WDW. 

WBI

To summarize.... no matter what you have, gas mileage sucks. 

Yeah... we figured that might be the case (although some of the newer trucks look like they get decent gas mileage, but those trucks are NOT cheap to purchase).  Where we're at now, is when we make a change (which, unless we found a "can't pass it up deal", won't be for a few more years) we're not sure which way to go.  The ONLY reason I want a driveable, is with small kids the idea of being able to get up quickly and make them some food or allow them to use the bathroom (without having to stop) is REALLY appealing.  I also like all the windows/light, especially in a Class A.  5th wheel -vs- a larger TT, I think I actually prefer the idea of a larger TT as I find them to be more affordable, but Tom thinks a 5th wheel is the way to go as he believes it will be easier to pull.

Like, love, hate---    Love the trailer, its been a great starter trailer, I can see where I would want a bigger bedroom in the future and more space for kids, but for now its perfect.   I would also love to have a self leveling system on the next one.  I really like the truck as my daily driver but I'll have to let you know how it does on long trips after we get back from WDW. 

Yes!

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel):  POP UP

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 900-1000

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2002 RAM 1500 6 CYL 150,000 MILES

Gas mileage: 17-18 HWY... LITTLE LESS WITH THE PUP

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):  LOVED IT UNTIL THE DASH STARTED DISENTEGRATING

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: WOULD LIKE 4 DOOR TRUCK OR SMALLER BETTER MILEAGE 4 DOOR TRUCK

The ONLY reason I want a driveable, is with small kids the idea of being able to get up quickly and make them some food or allow them to use the bathroom (without having to stop) is REALLY appealing. I also like all the windows/light, especially in a Class A. 5th wheel -vs- a larger TT, I think I actually prefer the idea of a larger TT as I find them to be more affordable, but Tom thinks a 5th wheel is the way to go as he believes it will be easier to pull.

This is why I wanted a drivable too, but let me tell you what I've discovered.

1) It's dangerous to walk around. Jason had to slam on the breaks once to avoid an idiot and an accident. I was slung up to the front because I'd been standing to get something.

2) Z asks for things three times as much because he knows I can get them.

I still like our drivable, but just some food for thought.

We still pull over for Z to go to the bathroom. After what happened to me, it's too dangerous.

This is why I wanted a drivable too, but let me tell you what I've discovered.

1) It's dangerous to walk around. Jason had to slam on the breaks once to avoid an idiot and an accident. I was slung up to the front because I'd been standing to get something.

2) Z asks for things three times as much because he knows I can get them.

I still like our drivable, but just some food for thought.

We still pull over for Z to go to the bathroom. After what happened to me, it's too dangerous.

Do you hear things rattle around a lot (dishes and such)?

Good insight on an actual trip... I think I've been watching too much tv   ;)

Camping World in Chattanooga (maybe all of them?? who knows) has a "driving school" where they will let us take out a Class A, 5th wheel and larger TT.  I think we may do this in the near future for the sheer benefit of knowing what is really what.  Heck, I may hate the feeling of driving in a Class A and/or Tom may really dislike driving a 5th wheel.  I think we need to know, so we know what to focus our search on...don't want to miss out on that "can't pass it up" deal :)

Do you hear things rattle around a lot (dishes and such)?

Good insight on an actual trip... I think I've been watching too much tv ;)

Things don't rattle much unless the road is bad. And I do like being able to lay in bed or on the couch. I still make Z ride in a high back booster seat.

I do like the drivable. I just don't think you'd want your kids walking around, etc.

Yeah... we figured that might be the case (although some of the newer trucks look like they get decent gas mileage, but those trucks are NOT cheap to purchase).  Where we're at now, is when we make a change (which, unless we found a "can't pass it up deal", won't be for a few more years) we're not sure which way to go.  The ONLY reason I want a driveable, is with small kids the idea of being able to get up quickly and make them some food or allow them to use the bathroom (without having to stop) is REALLY appealing.  I also like all the windows/light, especially in a Class A.  5th wheel -vs- a larger TT, I think I actually prefer the idea of a larger TT as I find them to be more affordable, but Tom thinks a 5th wheel is the way to go as he believes it will be easier to pull.

I can agree with this statement. Before we had our 5th wheels we had a 26 foot travel trailer with a gross weight of 6000 pounds and towed it with a newer Toyota Tundra. We towed it a couple thousand miles before getting rid of it and purchasing our first 5th wheel in 2012. Some of the reasons I wanted to move the 5th wheel was the increased amount of storage, much easier to hook up, and towed better. The hookup time was cut in half since I didn't have to mess with the weight distribution hitch stuff anymore, now I just back up, listen for the jaws to close and I'm done. The stability on the road was better than I imagined it would be with a 5th wheel. Before when we would get passed by a larger vehicle I could feel it push the camper and then the truck and I had to correct differently for each push. Now when we get passed it feels like everything is locked together and they don't move independently of each other, a much more relaxing experience while traveling.