Mardi Gras at Disney again....

Last year we made a trip to the Fort and Disney during Mardi Gras week. That was the second time we had gone during Mardi Gras. The first time was when Mardi Gras coincided with President's day, and what a mistake that was. This year, Mardi Gras again coincided with President's day but my loving wife came up with a plan. School is out in Louisiana for the Monday before and for Fat Tuesday. We pulled the children out of school the remaining three days to go to the Fort. My wife's plan was that this year, lets pull the children out the last three days of the week before, and head home on Fat Tuesday, thereby beating the crowds. Well, mark it down little tag fairies, My wife is a Genius!(but she will never work at an Apple store!!!!) Her plan worked great. 

We left home on Tuesday, the 10th, with a planned departure of 3:30PM. For the first time ever, we pulled out on time. Then it was a simple 418 mile drive to our normal overnight spot in a rest area on I-10 in Florida. Pulled into the rest area at 10:45PM and then completely made a family's, that appeared to be moving across country, night by finding their cell phone in the parking lot and saving it from being run over and flagging them down to return it. They were very grateful. We then piled into the toy hauler and went to sleep. 

It was an early start the next morning as I told the family they could sleep while I drive. This was the sunrise that morning.

GOPR0049_zpsb852b10a.jpg

We made great time and I started a GoPro camera on the dash as we were exiting onto Western Way. I cut the video down, edited out our commentary on Mission Space, The Menu for The California Grill, and other non-sense. It is 18 and a 1/4 minutes of your life you will never get back, but some of you Fiends may find it enjoyable. It starts before getting to the toll booth for the Magic Kingdom and ends with me backing up the 41 foot 3 1/2 inches long Toy Hauler into sight 531. This is my first time posting any video so I hope you enjoy it......or not. If not....keep it to yourself!

http://youtu.be/AHr70CFSmpQ

Once everything was set, the Fort Fiend signs were out and the dogs were walked, we headed to the Magic Kingdom to get in a few rides, and eat lunch. It is now 2:28 PM eastern time and I took a very unusual selfie on the boat:

20150211_152816_zps500a0dd5.jpg

We headed straight to Harbor House and had Lobster rolls for lunch. We then made a round of rides.

We made Space Mountain

MK_SPACEMOUNTAINA_7187509706_zps55c898f2

Then it was on to Supper at California Grill. I had the Swordfish and Shardi had the Tuna. Pood Forn ahead:

20150211_215311_zpsbf383829.jpg

20150211_215320_zps9a3a5ca5.jpg

We watched the fireworks and could see both the Illuminations and Wishes at the same time. While watching, I looked toward Orlando and could just make out the Eye. Here is a very bad picture trying to capture that. It is the little triangle close to the center of the picture. In person you could just make out the ring with the cars lit up.

20150211_204428_zpse1e3ca92.jpg

That ended day one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year we made a trip to the Fort and Disney during Mardi Gras week. That was the second time we had gone during Mardi Gras. The first time was when Mardi Gras coincided with President's day, and w

Congrats.   Sorry, but that Red and Black Fan beat you to the punch.   Glad to see some interest. We talked about you while in the park one day while a foreign family was jabbering away in front of us

Day two... Back to the Magic Kingdom.   With all those dining plan credits, Shardi booked breakfast with the hunerd acre woods crew at the Crystal Palace. This has become a tradition on almost every t

In! And first!

Congrats.

First!

Sorry, but that Red and Black Fan beat you to the punch.

I'm in.

Third.

Glad to see some interest. We talked about you while in the park one day while a foreign family was jabbering away in front of us and we thought about your incident with the Germans.

Who cares what number, I'm never on page one!  :jumpforjoy

Also since I'm friends with Shardi on FB, I'm expecting some epic pood forn.  :)

I'm all about the pood forn.

Yes there is some pood forn to come. Shardi had the bright idea that she wanted the deluxe dining plan this trip. Needless to say, it is a chore to get in three sit down credits a day for six days. There was so much food that we only used a few of the 48 snack credits. But non to worry, we used them all and I have a camper freezer full of Mickey Bars and a box full of sea salt caramels.

In!

IN!

Inn.

Here!

Hey, I made page one also.  

Which reminds me of something I haven't done in a while......hmmm.

I'm in!

Congrats to all the above for page one honors.

Sounds like y'all made good time getting to the fort.

Dinner looked awesome. I love watching wishes from the CG. Did y'all see wishes for your table or outside?

We watched from outside on the south veranda. Our table was right in front of the door to the veranda.

Looked like you were towing with a Ford? I thought you used a Peterbuilt?

The Peterbilt is a family truck with my Father-In-Law getting first dibs on the use of. He had a horse show at the Dixie Nationals so I was regulated to using my truck, a 2015 F-350 with the high capacity towing package. It is a lot easier parking at the Fort with the Ford, but I was wishing I was in the Pete when I had to stop every 3 hours for fuel. With the bad winds I was only getting 8 MPG with the Ford. 

I'm in also.

another page one reader. welcome aboard.

Woot!  I got a space on page one!

Great job.

I watched the video up until the part where you pulled up to an empty check in lane. That's a great start to your trip. 

I'll watch the rest of the video later, and let you know what I think.  The drive in was nice.

TCD

Yes the drive in was very nice, almost zero traffic. It was strange because we are used to coming in on busy days. There is a nice bonus near the end of the video that I had forgotten until I put the video together. 

I'm in!

That's a great start to the trip report!    MK and California grill in the first day!

Did you get a new fifth wheel?  I didn't think you had a toy hauler before, you always hauled the cart on the Peterbilt.

I always think its funny how many people in Louisiana use the Mardi Gras vacation to leave the state (including my family).  I always tell people that we wanted to get away from the craziness, plus the schools here get Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off how can you not go on a trip with that time off.

WBI

Day two... Back to the Magic Kingdom.

With all those dining plan credits, Shardi booked breakfast with the hunerd acre woods crew at the Crystal Palace. This has become a tradition on almost every trip. I am going to show the pictures of our little man from this trip followed by some from a trip in 2010. He is growing up so fast.

20150212_091421_zps7149d078.jpg

IMG_1810_zpsadc7a78e.jpg

20150212_100141_zpse8f2e711.jpg

IMG_1811_zpse6167f5d.jpg

20150212_101243_zps8b86252f.jpg

IMG_1814_zps2d1228c6.jpg

And finally The Golden Bear himself. In the past, Shardi had bought our daughter a book of all the animated characters of Disney and had the characters sign their page in the book. It is better than just an autograph book. So she bought a new one for our son. Well this Pooh knew his page in the book and there is a line that states something about his "small brain" and he pointed this out and was sad. Well I asked for the book back and quickly x'd out the word "small" and replaced it with "BIG". Pooh was so Happy. 

20150212_091739_zpsb56d8dd3.jpg

IMG_1807_zpsed498810.jpg

From there we had FastPasses for the Mine Train and that is where we headed. This was our first time to ever ride it. It is a great kids ride and I will leave it at that. 

MK_MINETRAIN_7188119195_zps1f45a1c4.jpeg

MK_MINETRAIN_7188188064_zps306cc7a5.jpeg

From there we went to Haunted Mansion and to Big Thunder Mountain. Then it was time to eat AGAIN...this time at Toni's Town Square Cafe. No pictures of the food here. It was ok but nothing to coo over. The decorations are nice and everything is themed around Lady and the Tramp. At some point in time, Our Son started in that he wanted to ride Splash Mountain. So Shardi went to a kiosk and was able to add FastPasses for later in the afternoon. Splash Mountain is a great ride in the summer....not so great when it is jacket weather. With that, things get a little damp in the next update.