Maybe this has been covered before.

There was a news story this morning that several people have gotten leprosy from Armadillos since they carry the bacteria that causes it. It was emphazied it is not the same disease that was talked about many years ago, but still causes the skin lesions.

Just a word of caution if you have one visit your site.

Hansen's Disease (leprosy) is caused by a bacteria. It's usually transmitted thru secretions (saliva, mucous). So unless a armadillo sneeze at you you are unlikely to get leprosy.

So just stay away from the armadillos with colds and you'll be fine. :lol:

Wow, for some reason, I had thought there were studies saying that while armadillos can carry leprosy, they couldn't transmit it to humans.

One of my girls' favorite stories from the Fort is the time they were out looping on a golf cart and dared a boy to catch an armadillo.  The boy did it, and the last they saw him, he was heading back to his campsite with it.

Armadillos are pretty common around where I live.  This is the first I've head that there was any real risk of them transmitting leprosy.

TCD

Back on our honeymoon, we were walking one of the paths at CBR and one crossed just in front of us. We stopped and watched it waddle. A groundskeeper near us was quick to warn us against following it and trying to catch it. We weren't planning on it, but enjoyed seeing the strange little animal...

Wow. Had no idea at all! According to the CDCs website:

"While it’s possible for you to get the disease from an armadillo, the risk is low. Most people who come into contact with armadillos are unlikely to get Hansen’s disease."

Valousia County was tying the possibility that all 3 recent cases were from Armadillos.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2015/2/25/_3_leprosy_cases_fou.html