Hoppy Easter and Crazy Crowds… The GDF Family Returns for Spring Break

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been a lurker on trip reports for a long time... And it is about time for me to let you all know how fantastic they are and how I appreciate your time commitment in writing them. We leave for W

Well, here we go. It’s time for another GDF trip report. This Spring Break trip has been in the works for awhile. In fact, it was knowing that this trip was coming that prompted us to buy the APs on p

Alright, we left off with us about to ride Mission Space. It was Z’s first time. He was a little nervous, probably because of all the warnings which aren’t really applicable to the green side.   Yes,

Wow, what a deal for the babysitter.  She got your MB and PIN, the use of the golf cart, and got paid to boot.

Whatever she charged, I'll do it for half next time.  And as an added bonus, I'll teach Z how to do the Gator Chomp.

TCD

Might be safer if Z watched you!!!!!!!! Heard you could be a bad influence :rotfl6:

Wow, what a deal for the babysitter.  She got your MB and PIN, the use of the golf cart, and got paid to boot.

Whatever she charged, I'll do it for half next time.  And as an added bonus, I'll teach Z how to do the Gator Chomp.

TCD

Double bonus.... Tom and I will jump in on that action too!!  :)

Good that you found the TIW card! We had one when we had APs and it saved us a ton of money. I'm glad you're finishing the report. I hope everything is ok. I always enjoy reading about your trips. Especially since we seem to visit the same places! I hope to see you at a game some time. Go Dawgs!

Yae!! Welcome back!! I'm looking forward to reading the rest!

Here comes an update! 

So glad you have continued this report.

Me too! 

Very glad you are continuing!

:)

Still here. Welcome back.

Thanks for sticking around. 

Glad to see you restart your report :)

I'm excited to finish it. 

Looks like fun!   The "line" at Epcot was awesome!!  Man... wish it was always like that :)

Right? It was a good think since I was in a hurry. 

So glad you're restarting this report!

:)

TCD

I know, right? She actually didn't have the golf cart though. They used the internal buses or walked. Jason knew we'd be coming back pretty late and didn't want to mess with a bus. 

Have I told you about the time we almost sent my mom back to NJ early for trying to teach Z the Gator chomp? True story. 

If you'll do it for half price minus the chomp, we'll let you use the cart. 

Might be safer if Z watched you!!!!!!!! Heard you could be a bad influence :rotfl6:

True...

Double bonus.... Tom and I will jump in on that action too!!   :)

See above. No way! 

Good that you found the TIW card! We had one when we had APs and it saved us a ton of money. I'm glad you're finishing the report. I hope everything is ok. I always enjoy reading about your trips. Especially since we seem to visit the same places! I hope to see you at a game some time. Go Dawgs!

I was so glad about the TIW card as well. Things are looking up around here. Thanks for reading along and Go Dawgs!!!!

Continuing on with date night, we checked into the California Grill. This particular week, Wishes was running at 9PM, so I think our ADR was for around 7:50. We decided to check in early and request a window table. We were willing to wait at the bar a bit if needed.

We headed up on the special elevator and sat at the bar for a drink. This was our view.

IMG_3421.jpg

Pictures really don’t do it justice. It was AMAZING! (Maybe that will bring out the Troll.)

You can see people were already occupying the window tables in the bar, but there were empty tables in the bar and seats at the bar.

Before long, our table was ready.

They had sprinkled some confetti on our table since we were celebrating.

IMG_3424.jpg

And this was our view, again, it’s about 100 times better in person.

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

The sun began to set.

IMG_3426.jpg

We started with some kind of coffee BBQ flatbread. What we got doesn’t match what’s currently on the menu, so it might have changed since then. We had already dug in when I remembered to snap a shot.

IMG_3428.jpg

Oh my yum, it was good!

They brought us complementary sparking wine to celebrate.

IMG_3429.jpg

Here’s a really bad picture of the MK lit up with a bunch of glare.

IMG_3430.jpg

For my entrée, I ordered the filet with risotto. It was delicious!

IMG_3431.jpg

Jason ordered the bison striploin. He was equally impressed.

IMG_3438.jpg

The lights were dimmed in the restaurant, and the Wishes music was piped in. Very romantic and magical!

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

Unfortunately, we were too stuffed for dessert.

The GDFs give California Grill two thumbs up. It lived up to the hype for me.  I would definitely recommend it for a romantic dinner. The food and service were both wonderful, and the view in person is breathtaking. So thank you to all the Fiends who recommended it! 

And this was our view, again, it’s about 100 times better in person.

We started with some kind of coffee BBQ flatbread. What we got doesn’t match what’s currently on the menu, so it might have changed since then. We had already dug in when I remembered to snap a shot.

The lights were dimmed in the restaurant, and the Wishes music was piped in. Very romantic and magical!

The GDFs give California Grill two thumbs up. It lived up to the hype for me.  I would definitely recommend it for a romantic dinner. The food and service were both wonderful, and the view in person is breathtaking. So thank you to all the Fiends who recommended it! 

The view is awesome from there!

You can get a similar BBQ flatbread from the Contempo Cafe (if you can stand to suffer the horrid service).

Please tell me you two sat on the same side either for the whole meal, or at least Wishes!

Sounds good and seems like I need to get back there. I had their sushi many years ago and loved it.

No, I haven't heard that story.

I'd like to hear it some time.

I'm glad that y'all had such a nice dinner. The food looks great, and I'm sure it was memorable seeing the fireworks like that.

TCD

The story isn't really that long, so here it is.... Mom was down from NJ. She watched Z when he was young, so we could go out. We came back and she was trying to get him to Gator chomp. We let her know she could give him soda, candy, artificial sweetener, let him stay up way past his bedtime, but that #$*& would earn her a trip back to NJ the next day. There are some things I don't joke about. I'm hardcore.

Our dinner was very nice, and the fireworks from there are beautiful.  

We loved our CG experience too.  If I wasn't boycotting WDW I'd have to think about going back there.  

You were one who helped convince me. Basically, you're a mouthpiece for the Mouse. 

I thought you were just boycotting the parks. You wouldn't even consider a Fort only stay? Then you could still go to CG.

Good point. He needs to book an ADR now. 

Good point.  I need to get on that Disney Dining site....

Now!

It all looks good. It's been 10 years since we were there.

We really enjoyed it, more than I even expected. 

The view is awesome from there!

You can get a similar BBQ flatbread from the Contempo Cafe (if you can stand to suffer the horrid service).

Please tell me you two sat on the same side either for the whole meal, or at least Wishes!

Sounds good and seems like I need to get back there. I had their sushi many years ago and loved it.

Listen, I'm a Contempo Cafe fan! They have a turkey, brie, and apple sandwich there that I've actually (almost) recreated. 

Our table was only 1 person wide, but we did sit next to each other for Wishes. :)

Go back soon! It was great. I can't comment on the sushi because we don't eat it, but the Queen of Sushi, Mo, loves it. 

What a pretty restaurant. Man, it's been so long since I've eaten anywhere fancy, which (for the most part) is completely fine by me as I really am a simple girl.... but every once on a while.. ;)

The Flatbread though... that sounds very interesting. ..

You really need to treat yourself! Hire Kids Nite Out! You could do some apps there and not spend a ton. The flatbread was REALLY good. 

I forgot to mention that during our date, we received this picture and assurance that Z was having a blast. That was a nice touch!

IMG_3448.jpg

Because we knew that the night before would be a late one, we decided we’d be hanging at the Fort for most of the next day.

If you know Z, that means pool time! Oh, and we let him have a popsicle for breakfast. It’s vacation. Don’t judge.

IMG_3455.jpg

We decided to walk to the pool. It’s close to the 1400 loop after all.

Empty campfire area

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

Since it was morning, the pool was pretty empty. Ah! It’s nice to relax. Can you believe all those empty chairs? I’m guessing this was around 10:00 or 10:30.

IMG_3459.jpg

Z perfected his handstand.

IMG_3464.jpg

But he still wouldn’t go near the slide, even with bribery. I regret encouraging the slide and having the incident when he was young because he’s totally traumatized now, and I know he’d love it if he’d try it once.

We got a little hungry and were feeling lazy. Here’s the kid’s sandwich (which is plenty for an adult) and nachos. I don’t usually eat fake cheese, but oh well.

IMG_3465.jpg

Z pretended to relax.

IMG_3466.jpg

After some swimming, it was time to do my least favorite chore…. Laundry. As boys seem to do, Z had destroyed every item of clothing he’d worn since our arrival, so this seemed like a good time to get that taken care of.

IMG_3470.jpg

Unlike when we were there for Christmas, it was easy to get washers and dryers.

They still had the old ones.

IMG_3471.jpg

After laundry, we relaxed a bit.

We had an ADR that night for BOG. Jason wasn’t feeling well but encouraged Z and I to still go. Z thought that was cool since Daddy and I had a date the night before.

So we hopped on the cart.

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

A boat came pretty quickly.

IMG_3476.jpg

We’ll pick up with Mommy/Son date night in the MK in the next update. 

I'm all caught up.  That Californial Grill dinner looks great, I want to go back!

That's a great idea with the babysitter. CP used to do that in Orlando and WDW but I don't know how it worked with her.

That looks like a great Fort day too, I wish it was a closer drive I'd like to go there this weekend.

WBI