Hoppy Easter and Crazy Crowds… The GDF Family Returns for Spring Break

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been a lurker on trip reports for a long time... And it is about time for me to let you all know how fantastic they are and how I appreciate your time commitment in writing them. We leave for W

Well, here we go. It’s time for another GDF trip report. This Spring Break trip has been in the works for awhile. In fact, it was knowing that this trip was coming that prompted us to buy the APs on p

Alright, we left off with us about to ride Mission Space. It was Z’s first time. He was a little nervous, probably because of all the warnings which aren’t really applicable to the green side.   Yes,

So, will we get to hear what Mr. GDF and Z did while you were being corrupted by your friend?

The shrimp and grits look good.  I still haven't tried them this year.  There were actually lines at that booth when I tried a couple of times earlier in the F&G Festival.  I need to get back there before it ends.

I will be interested to hear about the FP+ fail.

TCD

Enjoying your trip report but I'm also a little fascinated by your Ubering. I've heard of it but don't know anyone who does it.  I just assumed it was a good way to get killed, but apparently not.  Who are the drivers (college student types or retirees?)? I would think around WDW that would be a good way to make a good bit of extra $. Do they limit how many people can drive in a particular area or let the market determine?

Enjoying your trip report but I'm also a little fascinated by your Ubering. I've heard of it but don't know anyone who does it?  I just assumed it was a good way to get killed, but apparently not.  Who are the drivers (college student types or retirees?)? I would think around WDW that would be a good way to make a good bit of extra $. Do they limit how many people can drive in a particular area or let the market determine?

That reminds me- lobbyists trying to make a buck for their clients will probably soon lead to the demise of Uber and other such service providers in Florida, as they attempt to regulate this new industry  (i.e. make money from and/or protect the monopolies of the taxi companies) :

Florida House, Senate far from compromise on Uber regulation

TALLAHASSEE — Uber and Lyft drivers will have to buy special insurance under legislation passed Thursday by the Florida Senate and poised for a vote today by the House.Lawmakers in both chambers want to create a new kind of liability insurance for ride-sharing companies, which use smartphones to connect drivers with people who need a ride.

Under the proposals, drivers would need to secure up to $1 million in coverage. That's where the bills' similarities stop.

The Senate plan (SB 1298), which passed by a 28-12 vote Thursday, requires ride-sharing drivers to have insurance regulated by the state, starting next year. It also requires insurance for properties listed on short-term home rental companies like Airbnb.

In the House, proposed legislation (HB 817) has a much wider reach, requiring deep background checks for drivers and opposing local regulations.

Source: http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/florida-house-senate-far-from-compromise-on-uber-regulation/2226806

TCD

All caught up!

Great intel work on the smokehouse and the F&W vs F&G differences.

Looks like a lovely spread of food and drinks at Tutto Gusto!  I was just looking at their menu last night and it's changed since they first open - apparently for the better.  We've put it on our List of Fun for the fall.  :)

I've only been in the parks one time by myself - I went to AK for a behind the scenes tour I got picked for in an online thingy.  DH met up with me later, but I have to say that it was pretty strange wandering around by myself until he got there.  As much time as we've spent in the parks, I almost didn't know what to do with myself!

I am not so sure about these friends of yours. :rofl3:

I know, right? I hang out with a bunch of bullies. 

Burnt ends sound good right now I liked them.

Any time is a good time for BBQ. 

I'm sure Jessica had to really twist your arm for you to drink that slushy. Lol

I can't wait till I get to walk around Epcot by myself.

OK, if I'm being honest, the conversation might have gone something like:

"Let's get a slushy."

"OK!"

Girl time!  I'm so looking forward to it at WWW next week.  Wish you could be there.

I do too! 

Awesome girl's night. How fun that worked out for you.

FP+ cliffhanger...

It was a great night! 

I think they should have canine patrol at all the parks...

Looks like you girls had a great time! :)

Do you think they need canine patrols? We've never seen anything bad happen. 

We did have a great time. 

So, will we get to hear what Mr. GDF and Z did while you were being corrupted by your friend?

The shrimp and grits look good.  I still haven't tried them this year.  There were actually lines at that booth when I tried a couple of times earlier in the F&G Festival.  I need to get back there before it ends.

I will be interested to hear about the FP+ fail.

TCD

They took a badly needed nap, then went to the Settlement playground and enjoyed a GAG. 

Enjoying your trip report but I'm also a little fascinated by your Ubering. I've heard of it but don't know anyone who does it.  I just assumed it was a good way to get killed, but apparently not.  Who are the drivers (college student types or retirees?)? I would think around WDW that would be a good way to make a good bit of extra $. Do they limit how many people can drive in a particular area or let the market determine?

Our drivers were mostly women, probably in their 40s. Uber does background and driving record screenings, so I would think safety would be similar to a taxi. They know the name and all info of the person picking you up and can track them. 

That reminds me- lobbyists trying to make a buck for their clients will probably soon lead to the demise of Uber and other such service providers in Florida, as they attempt to regulate this new industry  (i.e. make money from and/or protect the monopolies of the taxi companies) :

TALLAHASSEE — Uber and Lyft drivers will have to buy special insurance under legislation passed Thursday by the Florida Senate and poised for a vote today by the House.Lawmakers in both chambers want to create a new kind of liability insurance for ride-sharing companies, which use smartphones to connect drivers with people who need a ride.

Under the proposals, drivers would need to secure up to $1 million in coverage. That's where the bills' similarities stop.

The Senate plan (SB 1298), which passed by a 28-12 vote Thursday, requires ride-sharing drivers to have insurance regulated by the state, starting next year. It also requires insurance for properties listed on short-term home rental companies like Airbnb.

In the House, proposed legislation (HB 817) has a much wider reach, requiring deep background checks for drivers and opposing local regulations.

Source: http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/florida-house-senate-far-from-compromise-on-uber-regulation/2226806

TCD

Hmm.... Uber already provides a million dollars of liability insurance on their drivers. I'm sure the taxi companies will figure out something though. 

I would guess the Meadows Swimming Hole.

Good guess. They went to his other favorite place, the Settlement playground. 

All caught up!

Great intel work on the smokehouse and the F&W vs F&G differences.

Looks like a lovely spread of food and drinks at Tutto Gusto!  I was just looking at their menu last night and it's changed since they first open - apparently for the better.  We've put it on our List of Fun for the fall.  :)

I've only been in the parks one time by myself - I went to AK for a behind the scenes tour I got picked for in an online thingy.  DH met up with me later, but I have to say that it was pretty strange wandering around by myself until he got there.  As much time as we've spent in the parks, I almost didn't know what to do with myself!

I heart Tutto Gusto! You can also get the whole menu from Tutto Italia next door if you want. 

I actually enjoyed my alone time, maybe because I rarely get any. 

Excellent additions to an excellent TP, keep it up !

Thanks for reading along! We were actually talking about you today because we're in the beginning stages of planning an Atlanta brewery crawl. We'll be going to Sweetwater for sure! 

Let’s get Tuesday started! This was the day we decided we’d really celebrate our anniversary since it had fallen on Easter. But before our date at California Grill, we headed to DHS.

Before leaving, Z had to act like an elephant.

IMG_3344.jpg

We headed to the Outpost to catch the bus and had some TCD transportation luck.

IMG_3345.jpg

Bus selfie

IMG_3346.jpg

Once again, we passed on RD and just decided to go in for our FPs and lunch.

IMG_3347.jpg

Our first time seeing DHS since the hat came down.

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

We had a little time to kill before our first FP and all the lines were already long for things we’d want to ride, so we went to the animation building.

IMG_3350.jpg

I was hoping we could meet Baymax, but he didn’t start meeting until later. We met Minnie instead, kind of a bummer, but also fun. Z tried to refuse to meet her, but then was OK with it when it was time. Pictures on Memory Maker, coming later.

Sophia didn’t have much of a line, so we met her too.

IMG_3351.jpg

Next up was Toy Story, the site of our FP fail.

Usually the long lines outside are just because people are trying to act like a Great Movie Ride FP should work at TSMM.

IMG_3352.jpg

But the line outside continued inside.

IMG_3354.jpg

Interestingly, there was no one in the extended queue outside and the standby line inside wasn’t insane… that supports my theory.

IMG_3355.jpg

We waited.

IMG_3356.jpg

And waited.

IMG_3357.jpg

Usually with FP, I’ve walked straight to the glasses, not today.

Finally!

IMG_3358.jpg

I think we waited about 20 minutes. Sure, it was shorter than the 80 or so the standby line probably had, but I think that’s too long with a FP.

Jason beat me, as usual. 

Moving on

IMG_3359.jpg

Several army men were out.

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

The mermaid needs her top.

IMG_3363.jpg

Never noticed this before.

IMG_3364.jpg

Next up, we head somewhere that should serve mimosas, visit the snow queen, and get yelled at for having out elbows on the table.

Oh, and I realize I've committed a major FAIL. 

20 minutes with FP stinks.

However, GAG and playground time does not stink.

The pics without the BAH are great. Back to the way things are supposed to be.

GAG + playground = Heaven 

I liked it without the hat. That surprised me. 

Toy Story is such a great ride!!

Z makes a might cute elephant :)

MGM looks strange without the hat.

Yes, that mermaid DOES need a top!!

TSMM is a great ride, so much fun even though I'm not very good.

I actually liked it without the hat. It's more elegant, sort of. Can theme parks be elegant? 

20 minutes for a FP?

I do think your theory is correct.

Looking forward to hearing about your CG anniversary dinner. I hope your fail wasn't that you didn't take pood forn pix.

Yeah 20 minutes. It used to be 5. 

Don't worry, that is not the fail. The fail occurred before that.

TCD

As usual, you beat me to the punch.

We need regulation because it's perfectly fine for me to hop in TCD's backseat and then pass him a $20 for gas and to make it worth his while, but if we dare arrange the deal via a cell phone, it must be regulated to "protect the public." Indicative of a very sick, duplicitous society we live in today.

IMG_3351.jpg

WTF? What is that thing? Damn, that thing is creepy. Shame on you, Kelly, for forcing your child to go near this thing for a trip report photo opp.

Seriously, why not just the "College Girl in a Pretty Dress" thing? It works for Anna and Elsa...and they're drawn.

Look! Its arms and its hands aren't even real. Ahh. I'm creeped out. I can't unsee it. Poor child. This is almost as bad as the poor little girl who had take a photo with Pin Guy.

When the Troll is right, he's right. Sofia's fake hands and giant head are creepy.

What Troll may not know is that Sofia is the FIRST "child princess". Big time stuff. My dd was just the right age when she was introduced. Hence the fake head. College girl in a dress just wasnt going to cut it. And I guarantee you they put the giant head on a college girl, took one look at her real arms, and said "Well, that's not gonna work". So in come the fake arms. Snowball effect at its worst. Or best. However you wanna look at it. When dd met her in a matching dress at age 6, it was magical. Fake arms and all.

That said, it totally creeped me out. Up close in person, it's super weird.

I heart Tutto Gusto! You can also get the whole menu from Tutto Italia next door if you want.

Hey I learned something new today - thanks!  :)

... I guarantee you they put the giant head on a college girl, took one look at her real arms, and said "Well, that's not gonna work". So in come the fake arms. Snowball effect at its worst.

I'd be willing to bet you're right on the money there.

But man those fake arms are creepy.

Look at that creepy ass hand on poor Z's shoulder. The poor child is traumatized.

And what happens if children get the guts to talk to the thing? Does it talk back...with that dead, blank, zombie look on its face? Or does it just mime around like Minnie Mouse? You know, hands on cheeks, hands covering eyes, hand covering mouth as if laughing, etc.

And where is Kelly, anyway? Why isn't she here to explain all this?

I do not like this thing.

And I bet Z did not either. I bet the exchange went something like this:

Kelly: "Ah, good, look, Z, there's a character over there. I don't know what it is, but there's no line at all to see it. Go give it a hug so I can take your picture for my trip report."

Z: "I don't want to, mom. Let's get out of here."

Kelly: "Z! You get over there right now and take your picture with that, whatever it is. TCD is clobbering me in the ratings, and the only chance I have at narrowing the gap is with cute pictures of you with characters! Now get over there!"

Z: "Mom, I just want to see Elsa. Let's go see her."

Kelly: "The line to see Elsa is 6 hours long! And there's no line at all in here to see that thing! Not a kid in sight! Now go! If you don't, no chocolate chip Mickey ear waffles for you, young man!" 

As usual, you beat me to the punch.

We need regulation because it's perfectly fine for me to hop in TCD's backseat and then pass him a $20 for gas and to make it worth his while, but if we dare arrange the deal via a cell phone, it must be regulated to "protect the public." Indicative of a very sick, duplicitous society we live in today.

WTF? What is that thing? Damn, that thing is creepy. Shame on you, Kelly, for forcing your child to go near this thing for a trip report photo opp.

Seriously, why not just the "College Girl in a Pretty Dress" thing? It works for Anna and Elsa...and they're drawn.

Look! Its arms and its hands aren't even real. Ahh. I'm creeped out. I can't unsee it. Poor child. This is almost as bad as the poor little girl who had take a photo with Pin Guy.

So TCD is better than you too! LOL... you are right... she's creepy. 

When the Troll is right, he's right. Sofia's fake hands and giant head are creepy.

What Troll may not know is that Sofia is the FIRST "child princess". Big time stuff. My dd was just the right age when she was introduced. Hence the fake head. College girl in a dress just wasnt going to cut it. And I guarantee you they put the giant head on a college girl, took one look at her real arms, and said "Well, that's not gonna work". So in come the fake arms. Snowball effect at its worst. Or best. However you wanna look at it. When dd met her in a matching dress at age 6, it was magical. Fake arms and all.

That said, it totally creeped me out. Up close in person, it's super weird.

Z actually mentioned something was wrong with her too. 

Hey I learned something new today - thanks!  :)

I'd be willing to bet you're right on the money there.

But man those fake arms are creepy.

You're welcome!

Look at that creepy ass hand on poor Z's shoulder. The poor child is traumatized.

And what happens if children get the guts to talk to the thing? Does it talk back...with that dead, blank, zombie look on its face? Or does it just mime around like Minnie Mouse? You know, hands on cheeks, hands covering eyes, hand covering mouth as if laughing, etc.

And where is Kelly, anyway? Why isn't she here to explain all this?

I do not like this thing.

And I bet Z did not either. I bet the exchange went something like this:

Kelly: "Ah, good, look, Z, there's a character over there. I don't know what it is, but there's no line at all to see it. Go give it a hug so I can take your picture for my trip report."

Z: "I don't want to, mom. Let's get out of here."

Kelly: "Z! You get over there right now and take your picture with that, whatever it is. TCD is clobbering me in the ratings, and the only chance I have at narrowing the gap is with cute pictures of you with characters! Now get over there!"

Z: "Mom, I just want to see Elsa. Let's go see her."

Kelly: "The line to see Elsa is 6 hours long! And there's no line at all in here to see that thing! Not a kid in sight! Now go! If you don't, no chocolate chip Mickey ear waffles for you, young man!" 

Hey, at least I finish my trip reports. 

Double post. Damn it. 

But while it's here, I thought of something else. You remember those creepy ass old movies where a ventriloquist dummy would come to life and kill people? This thing reminds me of that.

Truth

So on to an area that should require mimosas…

ACK!

IMG_3365.jpg

How did I end up here? And how do they calm the parents nerves?

IMG_3366.jpg

After Z spent some time running around, we went to try to attempt to see the Cinderella carriage again. We’d seen it in the parade in December.

But the line was looooooooooooooooooooooooog.

However, the nice gentleman with the slipper came to show it to us between shoots. Very nice of him.

IMG_3367.jpg

And we did see the carriage, but didn’t wait for a photo op.

IMG_3368.jpg

Then it was on to Cars.

IMG_3369.jpg

We also used a FP to see the Frozen sing-a-long because, let’s be honest, the Tier 2 attractions are not plentiful.

IMG_3371.jpg

We got OK seats, but this is probably a waste of a FP.

IMG_3373.jpg

Cheese

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

She needs to bring the sexy out.

IMG_3383.jpg

Moving on to lunch time…

IMG_3385.jpg

We ran into a TCD favorite! No, not Starbuck… these guys!

IMG_3386.jpg

Also saw this on the way to lunch, FP+ is awesome!

IMG_3388.jpg

But we made it to our destination.

IMG_3390.jpg

OK, so this is my second time eating here, and I REALLY want to love 50’s Prime Time, but…

We had a horrid wait to check in.

IMG_3389.jpg

And then a wait to be seated.

IMG_3391.jpg

But I did get a drink! And that’s when I realized the FAIL. My TIW card was missing. I thought back and realized that I didn’t remember getting it out of my bill at Tutto Gusto. I really hoped I was wrong and that it was in my purse, but I had a bad feeling.

We were seated.

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

I got a shrimp special that was just OK.

IMG_3395.jpg

Jason got the fried chicken.

IMG_3396.jpg

Z got baked chicken.

IMG_3397.jpg

Jason was a little hungry. I promise that he didn’t eat the bones. They went on another plate.

IMG_3398.jpg

I did try the fried chicken, and it was good. I’m not sure about better than a GAG though.

Z got pretty excited about ice cream!

IMG_3399.jpg

We had planned to ride Star Tours using FP after lunch, but the extra wait put us over our return time, and the HUGE return line didn’t give us much hope of riding, so we headed out.

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

And while our sad looking bus stop was empty, we got a bus back to the Fort pretty quickly.

Date night up next.