CONFIRMED: Tiered Ticketing and Price Increases

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh look another way to increase prices.  Will the drinks cost more in the summer, coffee and hot chocolate in the winter?   

They could even require a swipe of the Magicband to get toilet paper....and call the program "Swipe to Wipe".  

FL resident APs are already tiered... sort of.  There are different levels of passes/pricing, the less expensive ones with blockout dates.  I suppose it's possible that if this becomes an actual thing

Just got this text from Jen a few minutes ago "I just got off the phone with Walt Disney World Florida Annual Pass Line they told me that they normally know several days in advance of changes that are coming down and she said that she has not gotten any paperwork come across her desk as far as any more changes coming to Florida annual passes and that the tiered system that they have in place now is what they are going to be going with"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks Jason!

Copy/pasting here also - mostly because I'm lazy B) but also if anyone is like me, sometimes Chrome on my phone gets slow and wonky.

Disney Parks Adopt Seasonal Pricing on 1-Day Ticket

31aadf1bc8cffcac487e78fb9aeb6afe?s=32&d=

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

As regular readers know, it’s an exciting time to visit Disney Parks as new fan favorites come to life at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort.

New Star Wars experiences have already opened at both Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort. And, this year, several new experiences are expected to open on both coasts, such as the new Soarin’ Around the World at Disney California Adventure park and Epcot, a “Frozen”-inspired musical at Disney California Adventure park, new nighttime experiences at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the Frozen Ever After attraction at Epcot and a new stage show at Magic Kingdom Park.

As you may have read in the news, the demand for Disney Parks continues to grow, particularly during peak periods. At the same time, we have an unwavering commitment to exceeding the expectations of all our guests. That is why we continue to expand our parks with new attractions like those noted above, as well as entire new themed lands based on AVATAR, Star Wars and “Toy Story.”

It is also why we continue to look for ways to help spread out visitation. So, beginning tomorrow, we are shifting to seasonal pricing for 1-Day tickets. It’s an approach that you are probably familiar with from many other areas, including sports, entertainment and travel.

How does it work? Each month is divided into value, regular and peak days with an 8-11 month calendar available for viewing online. Here’s an example, if guests plan their visit for September, they’ll have a variety of options, including many days in the value period, which will give them the opportunity to pay less for a 1-Day ticket. If they plan to visit during a peak period, like the winter holidays, they will pay more. Purchasing a 1-Day ticket in a non-peak period, or choosing multi-day tickets and annual passes, will provide additional flexibility and value.

Seasonal pricing for a 1-Day ticket and price increases for multi-day tickets go into effect at Disney Parks on Sunday, Feb. 28. You can check out our Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort pages for more details.

Disney resets theme park ticket prices for slow, busy times

Reuters

LOS ANGELES, Feb 27 (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co unveiled new single-day ticket prices on Saturday for the company's U.S. theme parks, switching to a three-tiered system that charges visitors more on the year's busiest days and less during typically slower periods.

The shift to demand-based pricing is designed to help spread out crowds at Walt Disney World in Florida and at Disneyland Resort in California, Disney said in a blog post.

Starting Sunday, a one-day ticket to Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom will cost $105 on "value" days during slower periods, such as September. The cost for "regular" days will be $110. For "peak" days over major holiday periods, spring break and parts of the summer, the price will be $124.

At Disneyland, the cost of admission to one park will be $95, $105 and $119 for value, regular and peak days, respectively. Value days will be most weekdays during the school year, while peak times are around holidays and weekends in July and December.

The previous one-day ticket prices were $105 at the Magic Kingdom and $99 at Disneyland.

The number of visitors to Disney's U.S. parks set records in the October through December quarter, rising 10 percent from a year earlier, the company said in its quarterly earnings report.

The busiest days create frustrations for visitors such as long lines and temporary gate closures when parks get too full. The company is expanding the parks with new attractions based on popular franchises such as "Star Wars" and "Frozen."

Disney said it will post eight- to 11-month calendars online that list which days fall in each pricing period.

Flexible pricing applies to one-day tickets only, it said, while charges for multiday tickets will not change based on attendance levels.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine, editing by G Crosse)

Depending on what the dates of the different tiers are, I see this causing more than a few issues.

People that have a "money is no object" attitude won't be bothered.  They will still come whenever they want.

People with kids that want to come during the high tier priced time because that's when they have time off, will be upset, may still come and be miserable, or may just decide to make less trips.

And again depending on dates, it may actually draw more S Americans to the park since their summers and school times are opposite ours, so this may benefit them in the long run.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

Depending on what the dates of the different tiers are, I see this causing more than a few issues.

People that have a "money is no object" attitude won't be bothered.  They will still come whenever they want.

People with kids that want to come during the high tier priced time because that's when they have time off, will be upset, may still come and be miserable, or may just decide to make less trips.

And again depending on dates, it may actually draw more S Americans to the park since their summers and school times are opposite ours, so this may benefit them in the long run.

But again the Tiers is only on single day tickets. The east I ever get asked for is 2 days and 3 or 4 is the most common amounts for people on a budget. For people who happen to be in the area and looking for that one day experience if there is an option to go on a weekday and save some money then they may go that way vs a weekend day that costs more per person. 

And most of the S Americans either come in groups and probably get multi day tickets or group multi day tickets or are up here on holiday and will want more than one day in teh parks.  

7 hours ago, fortpartyof4 said:

How much are multi day tickets increasing?  If I buy tonight for a trip in the next few months, will I get current pricing?

Sorry just saw this. Allergy meds knocked me out. There was no official word on the increase amounts. If its anything like in the past Undercover Tourist will probably have some tickets at the old price till they sell out. System is still updating so I cant get the pricing yet. 

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hmmm.... next year will be a one-trip year; not sure what to do.  Buy now?  We will NOT renew the AP.

Well the prices are already raised  so no reason to rush that I can think of. Unless you are going to try to get the last of the old ones from Undercover Tourist if they still have some. 

28 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

Jason, can you check and see if the multi day tickets expire a year after purchase too?  I haven't had that discussed anywhere and would like to have that answered cuz inquiring minds and all.

Thanks.

They do not. That stipulation was only for 1 day tickets. 

Wow... $325 for a 4 day pass.  Next year's trip (the tickets at least) seem so expensive, when we consider that this year (AP) we'll have a total of around 35 days on passes and I think we paid a AAA price of around $640/each for them last year :huh:  Difference of around $81/day vs $18 day.... of course, we won't have gas, camping fees and food, so... ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article in the LA Times

Walt Disney Co.'s move to lift prices at Disneyland and its other theme parks on busy days was a novel step for the entertainment giant, but the news made perfect sense to Robert Crandall.

The former chairman of American Airlines employed a version of the same tactic nearly 40 years ago when Crandall pioneered "super-saver" fares, with ticket prices constantly being adjusted based on seat availability, passenger demand and how far in advance customers made reservations.

What Crandall did then, and what Disney is doing now, is part of what's called "dynamic" or "surge" pricing, and the practice is rapidly spreading in both the private and public sectors. Prices of baseball-stadium seats and metered parking spaces increasingly are shifting with the up-to-the-minute ebb and flow of supply and demand.

Why 'dynamic' pricing based on real-time supply and demand is rapidly spreading

Once again.  Total BS!!!!!!   I hope Walt is turning over in his grave. NEWSFLASH folks....Disney is not the only vacation spot in the world.  Yes it's nostalgic , yes your kids love it, yes you do love it, but don't play into their deep pockets. There should be a boycott for Disney. Their construction work moves like snails and the parks are no longer kept up to standards. The quick serve food for the most part is horrible and transportation sucks.  Yet.....raise the prices when the kids are out of school. Nice move Iger. Why don't you use your Disney Magic and buy up universal and the Busch properties.  Then you can cast yourself as an emperor. Once again, kiss my butt Disney ?

On March 14, 2016 at 8:57 AM, tim5055 said:

It's called the rich will continue to pay whatever and the poor and middle class are forced to attend state and county fairs. I guess their rides are more thrilling since you waiting for a bolt to fly out each and everytime. Airlines are a joke. When is the last time anyone was on a flight where the stewardess didn't say,"this a full flight, please take the first available seat and we can check your bag in for more room, yet flight prices continue to rise even with the lower cost of fuel 

• 10 months later...

I am bumping this old thread because all of this week's announcements from Disney (Rivers of Light is opening next week, Pandora in May, new fireworks show in May) got me to wondering what's next.

It looks like it's been right at a year since the last ticket price increase.

I think we all know what's coming next.

TCD

40 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I am bumping this old thread because all of this week's announcements from Disney (Rivers of Light is opening next week, Pandora in May, new fireworks show in May) got me to wondering what's next.

It looks like it's been right at a year since the last ticket price increase.

I think we all know what's coming next.

TCD

Rumor has DL increase coming Sunday. I havent seen it anywhere I trust though to share it.