ICYMI: A New TCD Trip Report April 2016 at the Fort

YAY!  So glad you are back.  I thought just this morning.  "What will I do if there are no more TCD trip reports?"  Then I look on here and there it was!  We just purchased a sweet new camper (new to us) with 4 bunks in the back for all the kids so we are hoping for a trip to the Fort (will be our first) Fall 2017.  We are hoping to do a 2 week trip including Key West and the last week be at the Fort.  We'll see.  

This fall we are going to Yellowstone and Denver in the camper.  We are so excited!!  (Driving that far with a 9, 5, and 3 year old we aren't so excited about but hey if we can go to China and back with that crew, we figure we'll survive).

Also as for those mosquito things.  We have had one and we never thought they worked at all.  I have tried everything and the only thing that works for us is mass quantities of tiki torches.  (We have 5 and then 5 more around the pool) And no weeds around the patio.  

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm back. I needed to take a break from the Board.  It wasn't you.  It was me. I thought I'd stay away for a few weeks, but it ended up being a couple of months.  But, I needed to be gone fo

Great report. My 14 year old was rather upset that I was going to Disney World for WWW and would be getting a GAG one night. I did when any good fiend and mom would do. I took a picture and shared it

I am starting a new movement.  We are calling ourselves "baldies".  I'm sure you can imagine what the criterion is for joining.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Disney whole heartedly backed him on this book series.  They gave him full reign of the parks and the backstage operations.  He told us about being in Small World when it was shut down for nightly maintenance, and seeing one of the "dolls" move even though the section was powered off. He said other CMs told him that they had seen them move also at other times.  They even gave him a free cruise because he was shifting the Keepers from FL to Disneyland. They went on a Disney Cruise from the east coast to the west. He was quite entertaining.

I just did a little Googling on Ridley Scott- I read the first of his Kingdom Keeper books back when it came out to see if it would be OK for the twins to read.  (It's kind of funny when I think the lengths I went to to shelter my girls from stuff that they ended up having instant access to on the internet).

I see he has a book that is based on a cruise and trip to Castaway Cay.  I might like to read that one.

I think the guy's a genius.  He's making money plus getting free stuff from Disney.

44 minutes ago, fowlandfishmommy said:

YAY!  So glad you are back.  I thought just this morning.  "What will I do if there are no more TCD trip reports?"  Then I look on here and there it was!  We just purchased a sweet new camper (new to us) with 4 bunks in the back for all the kids so we are hoping for a trip to the Fort (will be our first) Fall 2017.  We are hoping to do a 2 week trip including Key West and the last week be at the Fort.  We'll see.  

This fall we are going to Yellowstone and Denver in the camper.  We are so excited!!  (Driving that far with a 9, 5, and 3 year old we aren't so excited about but hey if we can go to China and back with that crew, we figure we'll survive).

Also as for those mosquito things.  We have had one and we never thought they worked at all.  I have tried everything and the only thing that works for us is mass quantities of tiki torches.  (We have 5 and then 5 more around the pool) And no weeds around the patio.  

Wow, I'm so happy to hear you have a camper!  That's awesome.

I am jealous of your planned trip to Yellowstone. What a great thing to do as a family!

43 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I would love love love to know the true story of the hold up for river of lights.

Me too.  Of course, I initially thought it was some kind of sneaky cost-cutting move on Disney's part.

But the twins have since convinced me that it's just a case of some major, major screw-ups by the Imagineers who planned the show.  They were using technology without thinking through what they were actually trying to do with it.  I've heard that boats crashed into each other, that one sank, and that drones were falling out of the sky.  A total disaster.

It is a real disappointment for us- we had hoped to see it on Earth Day, as originally planned.  Now, they're going to be using elements of it in that quickly slapped together Jungle Book show.  I am afraid that we will never see Rivers of Light the way it was intended to be.  They're going to go back to the drawing board and dumb it down so they can start showing it as quickly as possible.  Such a shame- I think it would have been very cool.  We've been watching the seating area being constructed, and got a good look at it on this trip- they did a really, really good job with it- it looks amazing.  But, the stupid show is a mess.

TCD

I'm trying to figure out a way to get to the Fort before December, but it's tough. With Curt's business gone, it's hard to stay there without driving my RV down, and I don't do that. I'll be down in June and September though, so I'm going to try to sneak over for some Fort time. 

It's a shame about the River of Lights show. I think it was going to be really cool. I'm still hoping to see the Jungle Book show. Z was in that play, so he really liked the movie. 

17 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I'm trying to figure out a way to get to the Fort before December, but it's tough. With Curt's business gone, it's hard to stay there without driving my RV down, and I don't do that. I'll be down in June and September though, so I'm going to try to sneak over for some Fort time. 

It's a shame about the River of Lights show. I think it was going to be really cool. I'm still hoping to see the Jungle Book show. Z was in that play, so he really liked the movie. 

Oh, I thought you wouldn't be at WDW at all until December.  Definitely make some time to sneak over to the Fort.  Maybe for breakfast or the campfire- that should hold you over.

I also liked the new Jungle Book movie, but I'm not excited to see the show.  Of course, I will go and see it, but I am expecting it to feel like it was something slapped together at the last minute, because that is what it is.

14 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I've gotten 1st page read, I will be back :ph34r:

This comment made me laugh.

"Ain't nobody going to be able to get past that impenetrable plastic fence."

Glad you got a chuckle out of it.  Sometimes, you just have to laugh at Disney.

TCD

Time for an update.

Sadly, this one brings us to the third and final morning of this trip.

Like I said earlier, we had a great trip, and did a lot.  But, I didn't take a lot of photos. 

I will make it up to you next time.

For now, we will be taking a quick looping tour around the Fort, starting back out behind the 300 loop.  I can't help myself sometimes.  I want to visit my favorite spot every chance I get:

4%2022%2016%20326_zpsb6mrwdnp.jpg

Yes, it's another BABH picture.  Sorry:

4%2022%2016%20327_zpsmp9bj64o.jpg

Hey- what the heck is a truck doing back here at 7:15 in the morning?:

4%2022%2016%20328_zpsuktxrnid.jpg

I don't know, and I wasn't going to try to find out.  I backed up, and headed for the path.  And took another BABH photo for good measure:

4%2022%2016%20331_zpsnjycdpuz.jpg

I swear, the jungle around the cabin grew since we were here the day before:

4%2022%2016%20332_zpsfqbvqgfv.jpg

Now, we're heading down the path:

4%2022%2016%20335_zpsjmq9rvlp.jpg

If you look at the center of this photo, as far back as you can on the path, you'll see a deer about to cross the path:

4%2022%2016%20336_zpsolidqzjb.jpg

Here's a zoom on that shot, ICYMI:

deer%20on%20path_zpsz7iou6sb.jpg

No sooner had that deer crossed the path, than a big white van came barreling down the path toward me.  Dang, the workers were out early this Monday morning.  I turned around and got out of there.

I headed out of the 300 loop, and looped around the 200 loop.  These folks had a cute hand-made sign:

4%2022%2016%20338_zpsq9ka0sxc.jpg

I have to say, that's the first time I've ever heard of or seen a Peaceometer.

I always enjoy looking at other guests' campsites and set-ups.  Check this one out- they pulled their Class B in to their site.  I wonder why? :

4%2022%2016%20339_zps6vxhpzx6.jpg

Unless this is David Doss' camper, these folks made a giant unauthorized copy of his "Fun at Fort Wilderness" print to hang as a banner on the front of their motorhome:

4%2022%2016%20340_zpspgjniiqj.jpg

4%2022%2016%20341_zpstythbkxs.jpg

This is supposed to be a photo showing how fast my golf cart was able to go, but I guess it's tricky to photograph the digital display:

4%2022%2016%20342_zpsqyghs8sk.jpg

The 1500 loop stayed full all weekend. This guy seems to have been in his site for a while, and there were no signs that he would be packing up today:

4%2022%2016%20343_zpsgx9gifwf.jpg

I wonder what kind of person makes or pays for a sign that he can hang up at his campsite calling it "The Ghetto?":

4%2022%2016%20344_zpstvitcgf7.jpg

I am guessing that's supposed to be clever or funny.

Fail.

Here's something I took a photo of on the 1800 loop- that site you see there in the center had mulch and landscaping along the side of the slab.  Some camper missed doing yardwork I reckon:

4%2022%2016%20345_zpsr3yyqcgy.jpg

There were plenty of deer and turkey out along the canal behind the 1800 loop:

4%2022%2016%20346_zpsz6ykqjpp.jpg

4%2022%2016%20347_zpszokx4mxs.jpg

4%2022%2016%20348_zpskikfnwqv.jpg

Now we are on the 2000 loop, looking across the ditch at the 2100 loop- you can see that there are workers present this morning:

4%2022%2016%20349_zpsww0cwjmn.jpg

These guys were digging a pretty big hole next to one of the cabin slabs.  I'm not sure why:

4%2022%2016%20350_zps7bgprvj8.jpg

It was about now that I realized that I hadn't taken any photos of my favorite campsite.  And no TCD TR is complete without photos of that site.  So, I parked by the 800 loop bus stop, and headed across the street:

4%2022%2016%20351_zpsbu4ofod2.jpg

Wow, with those beautiful bushes at the back of the site, you can hardly look directly at the camper's patio:

4%2022%2016%20352_zpsquecklig.jpg

I headed along the path to see if there was anything good to eat on the grill (there wasn't), and decided to head across the loop to the footbridge that crosses the canal:

4%2022%2016%20353_zpskz6skwoe.jpg

The Fishin' Hole is looking good:

4%2022%2016%20354_zpszirt5ced.jpg

It's been a long time since I've seen the canal between the 600 and 1400 loops so free of green slime:

4%2022%2016%20356_zpsi5jmxggo.jpg

There's the campfire area over there- and this photo shows the 9th new thing I am going to mention in this Trip Report- if you look around the campfire ring, you will see a high-top table.  There's one on the other side too.  Those are new.  They provide a good place to set your beer while you're putting together your S'more.  Good show, Disney:

4%2022%2016%20357_zpsxsm7aydt.jpg

Here's one more look at the Fishin' Hole from over here:

4%2022%2016%20358_zpsagaaugrt.jpg

Now we're on the 500 loop.  I wanted to get a photo of this 5th wheel that has a balcony on the side:

4%2022%2016%20359_zpss7c4uplv.jpg

That's pretty cool, but I don't think it's particularly useful.

I'll keep my pop-up.

Now we're behind the Meadow Trading Post, and there's Bob's dock:

4%2022%2016%20360_zpsw9flsbmv.jpg

I love this area of the Fort behind the Trading Post:

4%2022%2016%20361_zpsfspq3kjk.jpg

4%2022%2016%20362_zpshxw2ve3v.jpg

The sycamore and gum trees back here have their leaves back:

4%2022%2016%20363_zpseknjt5be.jpg

4%2022%2016%20364_zps2yhlbtfq.jpg

The Hop Scotch court is still here:

4%2022%2016%20365_zpsjdcbcdn2.jpg

Bob's Dock and Bear Rock look good:

4%2022%2016%20366_zpsq2xqurkx.jpg

From here, I headed back to camp, packed up, and got on the road.

I do have one more new thing to share, which I will do in the next update.

And, I even have some bonus photos from another Fort visit that show yet another change at the Fort that I haven't seen mentioned here.

So check back.

TCD

Thanks for all the great photos.  They remind me of how much I miss the Fort.

I agree with you on that balcony unit.  I'm happy sitting outside on the concrete under my awning.  And the floorplans I've seen with these balconies have wasted indoor space.  

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

There was someone here on FF that just got one with the side balcony and they love it.

For example in some campgrounds the ground is unlevel, or not much concrete, or even mud. Might be nice to have a clean, covered space.

I can see the appeal, but the one TCD saw doesn't appear to have any legs or support other than the two cables.

I wonder what the weight/people capacity is?

Yeah, don't feel too bad for me. I've been in a Disney drought since Halloween, but if things go right I'll make it down 2 times at Coronado capped with a long December trip to the Fort.

This report has me wishing those stays were at the Fort though. I miss more reasonable sites and rentals. The Fort is so relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what is up with all the running fiends. I started running too. I haven't run since freshman softball in high school. (Cough, cough) 25+ years ago.  Dang. When did I get so old.  

Started because 8yr old daughter was kicking my but playing when I got winded and maybe a Disney run way, way in my future.  

19 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Thanks for all the great photos.  They remind me of how much I miss the Fort.

I agree with you on that balcony unit.  I'm happy sitting outside on the concrete under my awning.  And the floorplans I've seen with these balconies have wasted indoor space.  

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the photos.  I know how it is to miss the Fort.  Luckily for me, if I need to, I can jump in the car an be there in less than 2 hours.

I think the balcony would be nice for the right family situation.  It doesn't appeal to me, though.

19 hours ago, Beckers said:

The balcony would probably be useful with someone with young kids. They could play on it while you are in the camper cooking, etc. 

I can see that.  Plus, it keeps them corralled.

18 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

There was someone here on FF that just got one with the side balcony and they love it.

For example in some campgrounds the ground is unlevel, or not much concrete, or even mud. Might be nice to have a clean, covered space.

I can see that too.  I do think it would be nice to have if the weather was nice and you could have that sliding glass door open.

I also think it's nice to be able to walk outside without having to go up and down steps.

But, it's a drawback to me that it takes away from being able to sit under the awning at ground level.

17 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

I can see the appeal, but the one TCD saw doesn't appear to have any legs or support other than the two cables.

I wonder what the weight/people capacity is?

I just went back and took a closer look at that photo.  You're right, it doesn't look like there are any supports under the balcony.  It seems like it would be a good idea to have some support under there.

11 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Yeah, don't feel too bad for me. I've been in a Disney drought since Halloween, but if things go right I'll make it down 2 times at Coronado capped with a long December trip to the Fort.

This report has me wishing those stays were at the Fort though. I miss more reasonable sites and rentals. The Fort is so relaxing.

Well, that sounds like fun.

Are y'all going to make it to the beach this summer?

1 hour ago, mommy rainbo.....Bo said:

Yay.  So glad for this trip report.  You just don't know how much I needed this today.  

Thank you. 

Aw, that's nice to hear.

I hope you have a great day!

14 minutes ago, mommy rainbo.....Bo said:

And what is up with all the running fiends. I started running too. I haven't run since freshman softball in high school. (Cough, cough) 25+ years ago.  Dang. When did I get so old.  

Started because 8yr old daughter was kicking my but playing when I got winded and maybe a Disney run way, way in my future.  

Hey, good for you!

So far, I've only done a 5K run at Disney.  This half marathon is a huge step for me.  But, I'm really looking forward to it.  It's fun to have a big goal to work toward.

TCD

Alright, let's clean up some loose ends and get this trip report finished.

I told you that there were 10 new things I was going to mention in this TR, and so far, there have been 9.  ICYMI, they were:

1. Jose is gone.
  2. There are now only 8 pieces of chicken in a Giddyap and Go (GAG) take-out fried chicken dinner.
  3. There is a new sign at the Tri-Circle-D Ranch, and the one pictured in my avatar is gone.
  4. The jasmine on the old windmill is in bloom.
  5. There is a big building being erected at the site of the old boat and bike rental area of Wilderness Lodge.
  6. All of the cabins have been removed from the 2100 loop.
  7. You can see the Four Seasons Resort building (aka the Abomination) from the 1400 loop.
  8. There is now WIFI in all of the campsites.
  9. There are new high-top tables at the campfire area.

New item number 10 is this nifty TV guide that was included in our check-in material.  This was the first time I've seen it:

FW%20TV_zps7ctghjko.jpg

FW%20TV.2_zps9sffgzzn.jpg

What's particularly interesting about this little publication is that it is almost 100% accurate.  All of the channels listed on there are correct.  The only omission I found is that there is a Disney cartoon station that I found scrolling through the channels that is not listed on the printed guide.  That's much better than any previous attempt at listing the cable channels.

And while we are speaking of new published materials handed out at check-in, check out this nifty new version of the Fort Wilderness map:

new%20map2_zps6ktonk7r.jpg

new%20map%203_zpsdnelibps.jpg

Do you notice anything different about that map?

Like the 2100 loop is missing?

I don't know what to make of that.

If the plan is to convert it to a camping loop, that shouldn't take too long, and I don't see why they'd need to remove the loop from the map.

But they did.

I don't know why.

And, that little box showing the different campsite areas in Creekside Meadow is new.

I also have to compliment whoever was in charge of creating this new map.  I found several errors on the last map they handed out.  But, I didn't find any on this one.

Let's see.

What else.

Oh, the little booklet from check-in.

Mine was still signed by Jose:

006_zpssmqusfvh.jpg

But that's OK, the new guy will probably just copy what Doug wrote, like Jose did:

92913645_zpsd74f80bd.jpg

I wondered if there were some new parking rules, because the official Disney site says that you can only park one car at your campsite:

parking%20rules_zpsjzatl5u7.jpg

But this booklet still says you can have two:

005_zpsfoh182fs.jpg

Oh, but look at what is says about your site decorations.

You can now keep them on until midnight.

I guess they gave up on the 10 pm thing that they're been harassing guests over for the past two years:

113014634_zpsf3e31b1f.jpg

Dang, it's hard to follow the rules at the Fort, isn't it/

And that's all I have for you.

As I've said, I'll do better next time.

And next time isn't too far off.

TCD

I think midnight is a much more reasonable time for the lights. 10PM was too early, especially when they were still running wagon rides. 

Did the old map actually show the sites? I don't remember that. 

I think they'll add the 2100 loop back when it's open. Disney reprints maps for the parks frequently. 

As far as the beach, we have no 30A plans this year... but we do have a beach plan. My mom has a condo on the beach in NJ. We're going to visit family. But that sneaky Jason has already been talking about squeezing in a long weekend on the panhandle, and you know I never say no to a trip! 

Interesting. The website also states parking for (1) additional vehicle at reception outpost. Wonder what would happen if someone printed that page and insisted on following the rules with more than a total of two cars. Where would the cast at the front desk provide for additional parking??

29 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I think midnight is a much more reasonable time for the lights. 10PM was too early, especially when they were still running wagon rides. 

Did the old map actually show the sites? I don't remember that. 

I think they'll add the 2100 loop back when it's open. Disney reprints maps for the parks frequently. 

As far as the beach, we have no 30A plans this year... but we do have a beach plan. My mom has a condo on the beach in NJ. We're going to visit family. But that sneaky Jason has already been talking about squeezing in a long weekend on the panhandle, and you know I never say no to a trip! 

I don't think there should be any time that guests have to shut off their holiday lights.  But, I agree midnight is much better than 10 pm

You got me wondering if the old map showed the campsites.  Here's the last version I know of, from 2013- and it does:

FW121313232_zps8f622914.jpg

There were some errors on that version of the map- such as not showing the bus stop for the 1100/1200/1300 loops and listing the Wilderness Swimmin' Pool as being located at the Bike Barn under "H."  They fixed those boo-boo's on the new map.

5 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Interesting. The website also states parking for (1) additional vehicle at reception outpost. Wonder what would happen if someone printed that page and insisted on following the rules with more than a total of two cars. Where would the cast at the front desk provide for additional parking??

It just so happens that I can answer that question.  On this trip, we had three cars, as the girls arrived in their own cars.  We had all three right there at check-in.  I asked the CM checking us in if we could have three parking passes, so we could leave one or more of the cars in overflow, and he printed them and handed them over.  He also said they haven't even been printing parking passes, except upon request, and that it was OK to park in the overflow lot without a parking pass.  I'm not sure if that's accurate, but that's what he said. And he didn't blink at my request for three parking passes.

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't think there should be any time that guests have to shut off their holiday lights.  But, I agree midnight is much better than 10 pm

You got me wondering if the old map showed the campsites.  Here's the last version I know of, from 2013- and it does:

FW121313232_zps8f622914.jpg

There were some errors on that version of the map- such as not showing the bus stop for the 1100/1200/1300 loops and listing the Wilderness Swimmin' Pool as being located at the Bike Barn under "H."  They fixed those boo-boo's on the new map.

It just so happens that I can answer that question.  On this trip, we had three cars, as the girls arrived in their own cars.  We had all three right there at check-in.  I asked the CM checking us in if we could have three parking passes, so we could leave one or more of the cars in overflow, and he printed them and handed them over.  He also said they haven't even been printing parking passes, except upon request, and that it was OK to park in the overflow lot without a parking pass.  I'm not sure if that's accurate, but that's what he said. And he didn't blink at my request for three parking passes.

TCD

Oh, I agree, I got three parking passes for my stay too. But if I were to show them the rules and insist on following them, would they even know where an alternate parking place could be? Just my evil OCD coming out. (Just like when Toyota had Prius ads that said there was "A Prius for Everyone", I went to a dealer with the ad and asked where the Prius with a 10K towing capacity was).

22 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I headed out of the 300 loop, and looped around the 200 loop.  These folks had a cute hand-made sign:

4%2022%2016%20338_zpsq9ka0sxc.jpg

I have to say, that's the first time I've ever heard of or seen a Peaceometer.

Is it just me, or are there 4 grand kids but only 3 spots on the "Campin" side? Like, can only 3 ever go? 1 grand child is always excluded...

(Why yes, that is the mundane that I choose to comment on- good to see you back!)

as for the holiday light rule, I think it has more to do with the noise than the lights.

Don't get me wrong there are some awsome displays, but the buzzing of a blower motor for the inflatables, or the music that may be synced to a light show( not looking at you castle Dave as my kids and I  loved your display) at some point need to be turned off, and well setting the rule as seasonal decorations makes sense as it covers the music, the inflatables and lights.

put yourself in my shoes, I am in a pop up, and if its not cold or hot out I am not running the furnace or AC, I have very little soundproofing and would have the windows open, light pollution can be dealt with by using shades but i cant really block noise

42 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

(Just like when Toyota had Prius ads that said there was "A Prius for Everyone", I went to a dealer with the ad and asked where the Prius with a 10K towing capacity was).

LOL!  That's funny!

39 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Is it just me, or are there 4 grand kids but only 3 spots on the "Campin" side? Like, can only 3 ever go? 1 grand child is always excluded...

(Why yes, that is the mundane that I choose to comment on- good to see you back!)

Doug, the eyes are starting to go.  Take a closer look:

campsite%20sign_zps602qxkcz.jpg

What is interesting, though, is that Papa is contemplating that there could be two more grandchildren, but four is going to be the limit.  I guess four puts the Peaceometer on chaos, and nobody wants to know what comes after that.

33 minutes ago, swimmarz said:

as for the holiday light rule, I think it has more to do with the noise than the lights.

Don't get me wrong there are some awsome displays, but the buzzing of a blower motor for the inflatables, or the music that may be synced to a light show( not looking at you castle Dave as my kids and I  loved your display) at some point need to be turned off, and well setting the rule as seasonal decorations makes sense as it covers the music, the inflatables and lights.

put yourself in my shoes, I am in a pop up, and if its not cold or hot out I am not running the furnace or AC, I have very little soundproofing and would have the windows open, light pollution can be dealt with by using shades but i cant really block noise

I don't have to put myself in your shoes, I'm a fellow pop-up camper, and I know what you mean about the noise and light.  Since my girls like to sleep in most mornings, I always have the AC, heat, or fan running.  That effectively blocks out the inevitable noise that comes as our loop neighbors start their days.

As for light, I am bothered way more by some of the bright lights that the Fort management installed and keep on all night long than a fellow camper's Christmas lights.

TCD