Hot Fun in the Summertime-TCD's August 2012 TR

Bobby says if they can just dry out all that annoying water at the Fort, they can build another DVC resort.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated. For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're n

I sure it has nothing to do with Uranus, BM, hanging chad, or slow movements down a canal. It has to do with the lack of beer, doesn't it?

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

:bravo:

I would say bout time but I don't want to push my luck. I see the feeder is back and the bubbler is fix again, I wounder how long it will last this time.

That water is lower than I have ever seen it, enough that the grass is growing beyond the rocks now.

I haven't caught but one good size fish in there since July 2011 at which time I was catching a lot of good size bass and catfish.

Thanks for the pictures Andrew, I miss standing out there with my bag of chicken skin just chill axing.

Bobby says he would like to see Humphrey the Bear somewhere in Fantasyland, and why not over in the yellow tent? I couldn't think of a reason why not, so we left it at that.

I'd love to be at the Fort this Halloween, but we're going to be at a local campground. Definitely should be at the Fort for Easter, though. Maybe even next fall break, as well, if we can swing it.

I know what you mean about the Olympics and how quickly four years goes. My 1 & 5 yr olds will be 5 & 9. I can't even fathom that right now. I can't imagine them in their 20's, although in sure that will happen before I can blink.

Bobby says if they can just dry out all that annoying water at the Fort, they can build another DVC resort.

Oh. That makes sense.

Dang the man.

:bravo:

I would say bout time but I don't want to push my luck. I see the feeder is back and the bubbler is fix again, I wounder how long it will last this time.

That water is lower than I have ever seen it, enough that the grass is growing beyond the rocks now.

I haven't caught but one good size fish in there since July 2011 at which time I was catching a lot of good size bass and catfish.

Thanks for the pictures Andrew, I miss standing out there with my bag of chicken skin just chill axing.

After all the rain Central Florida got from TS Isaac, maybe the water level will be back up.

Maybe the fish are tired of all that chicken skin you feed them?

Bobby says he would like to see Humphrey the Bear somewhere in Fantasyland, and why not over in the yellow tent? I couldn't think of a reason why not, so we left it at that.

There might be some truth to this. Humphrey is featured on the artwork around Storybook Circus, and thus far, there has not been an announcement as to how or where he fits in.

The twins think that there will be something high-tech in that tent. They point to the fact that Disney has installed free wi-fi in the MK. Why would Disney do this? They must have some plan to make money from this. I agree with where they are going with that- I think that tent will have something in it designed to bring in some revenue.

I say it would ok to limit the feathers, tassels and general nakedness if you agree to limit pictures of six pack ab guys, white speedo guys, and bike short guys.

Deal?

Done.

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

I don't know. Bobby is pretty crazy.

I'd love to be at the Fort this Halloween, but we're going to be at a local campground. Definitely should be at the Fort for Easter, though. Maybe even next fall break, as well, if we can swing it.

I know what you mean about the Olympics and how quickly four years goes. My 1 & 5 yr olds will be 5 & 9. I can't even fathom that right now. I can't imagine them in their 20's, although in sure that will happen before I can blink.

Halloween is a great time to camp. It doesn't matter where. Have a great time!

And, Easter will be here before you know it.

Did they ever get any fort wilderness caps or visors?

I have to admire your optimism. No lids of any kind. Plenty of coffee mugs, t-shirts, and key chains, though. Plus those ugly tire covers and chairs.

TCD

I am with everyone else on how quickly time seems to pass. Except when you're in traffic!

Seriously, though. I spend as much time as I can with my kids. Because in no time, they won't have time to hang with us, and then off to college.

Loved the picture of Louie. I love the nephews!

I wonder if we all went over to the Fort and formed a human chain on the day they are to begin excavating for the new DVC, it would hold things up?

Yeah, I know. Pipe dream. It would fall on deaf ears.

FP4

I get sad when I think too much about the Olympics also. In 2008 my boys and I had an impromptu party during the opening ceremonies (my favorite part of the Olympics). It was so much fun we did it again for the Winter games and then this summer also. In 2016 they will be 17, 15 and 15 and I doubt will want to hang around the living room in their pjs eating popcorn and mini egg rolls with Mom. Sigh.

I worked on a special project on Monday morning.

Before this trip, there was a thread started by Discamper here on ff.net where he posted a photo taken with a Fort bus stop in the background, and asking if anyone could identify the loop.

That photo stumped me.

Which I thought it shouldn't have.

After all, there aren't that many bus stops in the Fort, so how hard could it be?

Quick, not counting the Settlement and Outpost bus stops, how many bus stops are there in the Fort?

How many did you say?

The correct answer is 13. There are 12 interspersed among the camping and cabin loops, and then there is the old River Country bus stop near the horse barn.

I'll bet that was a harder question than you thought it would be.

Since I was trying to solve a mystery, I took photos of each of the 12 bus stops where buses currently stop in between the Outpost and Settlement.

I started with the 300/500 loop bus stop:

579.jpg

We will travel along the Yellow bus route, so next comes 1400:

606.jpg

Then 1500:

582.jpg

Now 1600-1900:

583.jpg

Now, let's turn back toward the Settlement, so we have 1100, 1200, and 1300:

594.jpg

900 and 1000:

602.jpg

600 and 800:

603.jpg

Now, let's follow the Purple bus route from the Settlement to Outpost:

Creekside Meadow (Group Camping Area) :

592.jpg

2000 :

591.jpg

2100, 2200 and 2300:

590.jpg

2400, 2500 and 2600 :

589.jpg

2700 and 2800 :

588.jpg

That makes 12.

There are subtle differences between the bus stops. Some have soft drink machines. Some have newspaper machines. The 1500 loop bus stop has a back wall because there is a campsite right behind it. It looks like the 300/500 bus stop only has one bench. Some have fence rails across part of the front; others don't. I guess this isn't that interesting after all.

But, there you go. If you ever need to see all the bus stops in one place, you can just refer back to this post.

TCD

Neat Post Andrew!!!

If I were you, I would make this a separate post in the "Loop Information" thread :)

I don't think anyone would find photos of 12 bus stops interesting.

What is interesting, though, is that the 1400 loop bus stop has a secret second floor where you can get candy and snacks. It says so right on the drink machine:

IMG_2591.jpg

TCD

Well, we have reached the end of another TCD trip report.

These are the last of the photos.

As I headed back to the 1500 loop to get going with the packing up, I spied this strange vehicle riding along on the sidewalk:

604.jpg

605.jpg

In case you need some help with that logo:

allstartruck.jpg

So what is an All Stars truck doing at the Fort?

I asked the guy if he was lost.

He said, yes, he was.

He was delivering pizzas the night before and made a wrong turn or two, and here he was.

Not really.

He was using that truck to scrub the sidewalks.

Nice of the All Stars to help out the Fort.

So, remember that sign that was posted on the comfort station door saying no hot water?

It was still there in the morning.

All morning.

And the IM probably drove himself crazy all morning looking for his tape:

607.jpg

Since the sign was still up when I went to get my shower earlier, I had used the 1300 loop comfort station that morning.

I sent the girls over there too. They were going to go and have breakfast at the MK while I packed up the camper.

It's good to be a TCD twin.

After a little packing, it was time for my coffee break.

I saw these guys with vests and plans looking around the Meadow pool:

609.jpg

This gives me a chance to start a new rumor.

They were getting ready to stake out the new lazy river at the Fort. And, they are going to enclose the whole pool area and install a card reader.

Fooled you.

And sorry to any freeloader locals reading along. I didn't mean to scare you.

I mean- lo siento. Perdóname. No sé en qué estaba pensando.

I told you there would be another Real Man of Genius.

And I don't lie.

He had arrived at the last site on the 1500 loop on Sunday afternoon. He spent all day setting up his camp site. The highlight was a big blue tarp that he strung up over the whole set-up. He was tying things to trees all day. The guy worked non-stop. The thing is, when he was done, the tarp was pretty flat. I think if it rained hard, it would fill with water and eventually break the ropes or burst. I hoped for a big storm, but we just got a little rain that night.

Anyway, here he is:

610.jpg

611.jpg

Check out the hard work my many put in to this masterpiece of tarp work:

rope.jpg

Blue tarp guy, I salute you!

That is some awesome ropework. And, If I am not mistaken, you got a rope around every tree in your site at least once.

Well done!

After this, I buckled down on the packing, and got everything ready to hit the road.

The canvas on my camper was still wet from all the rain, so I left the camper popped up for a while to give it a chance to dry. I had the beds pushed in, so it would just take me a couple minutes to crank down the roof and go when needed.

There were a lot of open sites on the loop, and nobody was coming around to clean them. So, I left the camper there and went to take a shower.

I didn't want to go all the way to the 1300 loop, so I figured I would just take a cold shower at my broken comfort station. Well, guess what? The hot water was on. It probably had been on all morning, but the IM was so busy looking for his tape dispenser that he never got around to coming by to take down the signs.

Oh well.

I finally cranked down the roof and moved the camper out to the overflow lot around noon.

It was a nice clear day, so I got a photo of the area next to the old kennel where the new barn is supposed to go. As you can see, nothing is happening here:

612.jpg

The old kennel is still being used for the trail rides, and nothing new is gong on around there:

613.jpg

Since the girls were still away, I did my last looping for this trip.

These guys were running electric to the places where the stakes marked the location of the new lights:

614.jpg

You can tell this fellow here is a licensed electrician as he is an expert in holding up fences:

615.jpg

It looks like those guys had a lot of wire to run today:

617.jpg

This is not big deal, but it is a dog on the 2000 loop:

618.jpg

The girls eventually came back.

The highlight of their visit to the MK was the Nutella and fruit Waffle they had at Sleepy Hollow. They raved about it. So much so, that I am going to try one the next chance I get.

We headed out to the overflow lot to load up and go.

Here's one last look at the crane- it is in the middle of this photo, just above the tree line:

619.jpg

I hadn't seen the new stripes in the overflow lot. I can't recall if anyone has posted photos of them, but just in case, here you go:

620.jpg

If you look just above the cab of the truck in this photo, you can see the Four Seasons building from right here in the overflow lot:

621.jpg

Say goodbye to a bit more of the Wilderness.

And with that, we hopped in the truck and headed West.

We stopped just before we hit the gulf, and we were home.

That's all I have.

There is no more.

Another TCD trip report is done.

TCD

You can tell this fellow here is a licensed electrician as he is an expert in holding up fences:

TCD

I guess if you balance the electricians work effort out with that of Mr brown painter guy, and you would get an average days work.

Another TCD TR in the can and shared for all to enjoy.

Nice work and photos as always. Particularly interesting was the photo essay on the bus stops. Kind of cool to,see them synopsized all in one sequence.

Thanks for sharing

I don't think anyone would find photos of 12 bus stops interesting.

What is interesting, though, is that the 1400 loop bus stop has a secret second floor where you can get candy and snacks. It says so right on the drink machine:

IMG_2591.jpg

TCD

WOW!! We (Coca-Cola Equipment Services) really screwed up when we placed that vendor!! :banghead:

I am going to throw out a wild shot in the dark on the yellow tent. Maybe another baby care center. Like the one next to Crystal Palace. Probably not though since it would make sense to put a baby and first aid place next to the biggest little kids play area. Just a thought though. And the wifi is supposed to be so the smartphone users can actually use the new disney app with their next gen fast pass system.

Let's see how I do.