Pirates of the Tennessean - Dave and INC's Dream Cruise!

Wow!

This TR is already epic!

Here I am at the top of page 7!

Good job on everything so far!

Love the mouse ear photos!

Can't wait to hear how you liked the buffet at Cabanas.

TCD

Lunch at Cabanas is coming up....but first we have something else that must be done.

I think up comments about the pictures then the cuteness of all your girls just wipes them right out of my mind. I love Stella's Mouse Ears Picture!

Thanks Nicki!

YAY!!! Your on board!!!!

We are!! Are you?? :rofl3:

I think your mouse ear pics are great! Especially love INC's, she knows who this trip is all about!!

Thanks Doodle!

Love this!!! so glad you had a good time. Thanks for posting. Your family is just lovely!

Thank you Cindy! And you were one of the first to know about this trip. I have previously mentioned how TCD knew about it...I had traded a bunch of messages with him asking questions. But Cindy also knew, as she had PM'd me regarding my ticker about the secret birthday trip, asking if we would be at the Fort in early Sept so we could meet up, as they were there. So I told Cindy about my plans. Thank you for keeping it a secret!

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just book an aft stateroom. Vibrations are included in your room rate.

Congrats on the funnel vision. I agree with the girls. Rotisserie Chickens or maybe rotisserie monkeys? The monkeys do not have heads. Can't wait for the rest of your trips.

Ok, some of you asked for Gwen's Adventure Planking video, so here it is. If you have 5 minutes to spare it might give you a chuckle. In particular, pay attention at around 4:10 of the video. If yo

Ok, I have a few comments to respond to and then I will get working on an update.

BTW, going back to work stinks after a vacation. It is really infringing on my FF time.

I had a feeling that was what you were doing. You started asking some very specific questions on the cruise trip TRs.

There is no getting things past you. I'll have to remember that.

DH could have stayed in Cabanas our whole cruise. He loved it. Can't wait to read more!

We all enjoyed Cabanas as well...and it was nice that there was something for everyone. Our plates all looked so different from each others. Which you will see coming up.

Oh my! This entire scenario is fabulous. I just love reading it all. Have a wonderful time and I can't wait to read more!

Thanks! More coming up (hopefully) soon.

Absolutely Dave. I don't understand today's parents reluctance to pull the rug-rats out of school for a week.

Oh no, they can't miss that much school. WHY NOT? It won't make one bit of difference over the long haul.

We did it on a regular basis with all four of our kids and guess what, every one one of them have college degrees and all lead successful and productive lives.

I agree! My parents took me and my sister out for big trips like Disney. We're both happy, well educated adults and those memories are worth more now than whatever I would have been learning in 2nd grade. My kids will be missing school in less than 6 days now for our trip and I'm not the least bit sorry for it!

Great trip Dave! I'm only 3 pages in, but I'm so excited to read about your adventures!!

All Aboard! Where's The Buffet?? (cont)

Ok, when we last left off, we had just boarded the beautiful, ginormous Disney Dream. As beautiful and impressive the ship is driving up to it, it is just as beautiful and impressive inside. They did a very nice job with these ships IMO...classical elegance I would call it.

When you board, the CM's direct you to head up to deck 11 to enjoy some lunch at Cabanas. You cannot access your staterooms until at least 1:30, and while you could wander around areas of the ship we followed their direction and took an elevator up to 11. But we didn't eat right away.

We had followed the advice of others and packed our swimsuits in a carry on bag. This carry on bag held our most valuable possessions. In addition to the swimsuits, we also carried on a large bottle of Sangria, a bottle of wine, and some Red Stripe beer. Like I said, valuable possessions.

So, instead of hitting the buffet immediately, we took advantage of the very short lines for the Aquaduck to get some water time in.

DSCN0102.JPG

We were able to catch Emma and Isabel riding.

DSCN0110.JPG

DSCN0111.JPG

I think this is the back of my head with one of the kids.

DSCN0112.JPG

And Gwen and Stella.

DSCN0113.JPG

DSCN0114.JPG

Anna is too young and too little for the Aquaduck, but they have a very nice splash area for the little ones right there on Deck 11 by the Mickey Pool.

DSCN0104.JPG

DSCN0105.JPG

DSCN0106.JPG

DSCN0107.JPG

DSCN0108.JPG

After swimming and riding the AD for a while, we all decided it was time to dry off and hit the buffet.

DSCN0134.JPG

This very cool ice sculpture greeted us as we walked in.

DSCN0136.JPG

When you first walk into Cabanas, you see a long buffet spread out along the inside wall, and tons of seating along the windows. What you don't realize at first is that there is not only an identical arrangement on the opposite side of the ship, but that the buffet actually continues back along the aft end of the boat and wraps back up the other side.

In other words, the place is huge! And has an unbelievable assortment of foods, drinks and desserts. At some point I did take pics of the entire buffet...I'll share those when I get to them.

Here is Izzy's first plate. The only difference between this lunch plate and her lunch plate on every subsequent day, is that eventually she just gave up on trying different items and basically had a lunch of crab legs every day. To say she loves them would be an understatement.

DSCN0129.JPG

Emma had a similar plate but she tried the green lip mussels.

DSCN0130.JPG

I believe this was my plate. I LOVED the mussels.

DSCN0131.JPG

INC's plate.

DSCN0132.JPG

Gwen's plate. She loved the prosciutto wrapped salmon!

DSCN0133.JPG

At this point we were all full and had had a blast on the Aquaduck, and now it was around 2:00 and we could head down to check out our staterooms that would be our home for the next 4 nights.

Coming up....

Dave-

That was a brilliant move to go on the Aqua Duck first! I can see from this photo that there is no line! :

DSCN0102.JPG

On our cruise, we ate first and then attempted to get on line for the AD. By that time, the line was all the way down those empty stairs shown in your photo.

BTW- Is that Nosey Rosie there photobombing another one of your photos?

Also, I see that y'all had what looks like snow cab legs. We had stone crab claws on our cruise. And they weren't very good.

I love the photos of Anna in the splash zone!

But, what in the world is happening in this photo? :

DSCN0107.JPG

That ain't right!

TCD

I agree! My parents took me and my sister out for big trips like Disney. We're both happy, well educated adults and those memories are worth more now than whatever I would have been learning in 2nd grade. My kids will be missing school in less than 6 days now for our trip and I'm not the least bit sorry for it!

Great trip Dave! I'm only 3 pages in, but I'm so excited to read about your adventures!!

Thanks Misty! I hope you have an awesome trip!!

Dave-

That was a brilliant move to go on the Aqua Duck first! I can see from this photo that there is no line! :

DSCN0102.JPG

On our cruise, we ate first and then attempted to get on line for the AD. By that time, the line was all the way down those empty stairs shown in your photo.

BTW- Is that Nosey Rosie there photobombing another one of your photos?

Also, I see that y'all had what looks like snow cab legs. We had stone crab claws on our cruise. And they weren't very good.

I love the photos of Anna in the splash zone!

But, what in the world is happening in this photo? :

DSCN0107.JPG

That ain't right!

TCD

I have a lot to comment on here. First off, you are right about the lines. By the time we decided to go eat, the AD lines had gotten quite long. I'm glad we rode that first. Plus, by then Cabanas was not too crazy.

Secondly, I don't think that's Nosy Rosy, but I do have a knack for having old ladies photo bomb me. I wonder why that is?

Next, they had snow crab legs every day we were there. To be honest I never tried them, as I find them to be too much work for what you get out of them, but Izzy sure loved them.

Finally, yeah. That picture of Anna is a bit eyebrow raising. But really, what kid wouldn't want to try that?

Ok, I was supposed to be heading out the door but your TR stopped me! I am so glad it did! This was too cute to missDSCN0106.JPG

Thanks Doodle! But sorry to hold you up.

Finally caught up! Love the pics and ready to read more!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get another update posted later. But this back to work thing is killing me!

I wasn't gonna say anything, but your right!!!

It's better than the sight DH and saw on our Honeymoon. There was a fountain or geyser that the kids could walk up to. This boy kept running over butting up to the sprayer then about 10 seconds after the water shot up running off. It was disturbing....

I wasn't gonna say anything, but your right!!!

Since when does a Fort Fiend hold their tongue?

What's up with everyone going on cruises? If you guys keep this up we'll have to change the name to "Cruise Fiends". Loving the report though. I always love me some DaveInTN trip report!

Thanks Lisa! And don't worry...I'm not switching my allegience from the Fort to cruising. Primarily because I couldn't afford to make a habit of this. But also because, as much as I LOVED this vacation, it was EXHAUSTING! I need some relaxing Fort time.

Love the first pic! That's exactly how I ride a slide, ass high!!

Please tell me that liquid is shooting AT Anna and not FROM Anna?!?! ???

I can neither confirm nor deny. :clint:

Loving this TR and all the photos.

Don't understand planking ... look forward to Gwen's video.

Crab legs every day for lunch? Now that's a reason to take a Disney cruise!

I hope to have a planking video to share later.

It's better than the sight DH and saw on our Honeymoon. There was a fountain or geyser that the kids could walk up to. This boy kept running over butting up to the sprayer then about 10 seconds after the water shot up running off. It was disturbing....

That kid is probably on some sort of FBI list now.

Good pics from the AD! Lol about that photo of Anna! You have a beautiful family!

Thanks Nancy!! Glad I haven't bored you to sleep yet.

How old are your kids? I will tell you that both dh and I both agree we should have taken the opportunity to go on more trips when my son was younger even if it meant taking him out of school. Now that he is in high school not only do we have to work around school schedules, but also sports schedules.

Absolutely Dave. I don't understand today's parents reluctance to pull the rug-rats out of school for a week.

Oh no, they can't miss that much school. WHY NOT? It won't make one bit of difference over the long haul.

We did it on a regular basis with all four of our kids and guess what, every one one of them have college degrees and all lead successful and productive lives.

It was just one of my husband's concerns, other than the cost and him being able to get time off. Us going on a cruise is a dream (no pun intended) at this point, and we had all of a 3 minute conversation about the FL resident special and it having to be during the week. If we were to decide to pursue the idea, I would be able to convince him that it would be OK, but still absolutely respect his opinion. But it's moot anyway because we cannot go on one. He probably just said that to me as a knee-jerk comment instead of having to give me the real reason.

My husband's thoughts about the missing school thing isn't out of reluctance or being afraid of what instruction they might miss. It is a matter of our personal parenting style, and trying to raise them to be people who are true to their word and fulfill their commitments, in hopes that they will grow up to be trustworthy adults with a good work ethic. We are not worried that missing 4 days of 7th grade will lessen their chances at college or a good job. However I wouldn't criticize anyone who does feel that way, it's certainly a matter of personal choice. We have taken them out of school for travel purposes, and probably will again. They have been on countless trips to many wonderful places and will have no shortage of priceless memories of time spent together as a family.

It was just one of my husband's concerns, other than the cost and him being able to get time off. Us going on a cruise is a dream (no pun intended) at this point, and we had all of a 3 minute conversation about the FL resident special and it having to be during the week. If we were to decide to pursue the idea, I would be able to convince him that it would be OK, but still absolutely respect his opinion. But it's moot anyway because we cannot go on one. He probably just said that to me as a knee-jerk comment instead of having to give me the real reason.

My husband's thoughts about the missing school thing isn't out of reluctance or being afraid of what instruction they might miss. It is a matter of our personal parenting style, and trying to raise them to be people who are true to their word and fulfill their commitments, in hopes that they will grow up to be trustworthy adults with a good work ethic. We are not worried that missing 4 days of 7th grade will lessen their chances at college or a good job. However I wouldn't criticize anyone who does feel that way, it's certainly a matter of personal choice. We have taken them out of school for travel purposes, and probably will again. They have been on countless trips to many wonderful places and will have no shortage of priceless memories of time spent together as a family.

Well said. Each of us has to do what is right for our families.

But, for any Florida resident who may be on the fence about taking a cruise, let me say this: The deals currently being offered are the lowest that I have ever seen. Seriously, there are some fantastic deals being offered right now. So, if you have been thinking about it, this may be the time.

TCD

Well said. Each of us has to do what is right for our families.

But, for any Florida resident who may be on the fence about taking a cruise, let me say this: The deals currently being offered are the lowest that I have ever seen. Seriously, there are some fantastic deals being offered right now. So, if you have been thinking about it, this may be the time.

TCD

Yes, and not only is every family different, quite often the individual children within a family are very different as well. INC and I had no concerns pulling 4 of our girls out for the 3 days. We did have concerns about one of them though. We ultimately decided to do it (obviously), but as we expected we are dealing with the consequences now. Still worth it, but it makes it a tougher decision. Fortunately in America, we still as parents can make those decisions for our families. The school districts are trying to make it harder though.

All Aboard! Where's The Buffet?? (cont)

Here is Izzy's first plate. The only difference between this lunch plate and her lunch plate on every subsequent day, is that eventually she just gave up on trying different items and basically had a lunch of crab legs every day. To say she loves them would be an understatement.

Izzy's my new favorite!! Girl after my own :heart:. Crab legs are only second to BACON!!

I only wish we were Florida residents!

I only wish we were Florida residents!

Gwen, you are welcome to borrow my DL if you want to! TCD is right. The rates are great, and even better if you can travel on only a few weeks' notice.

Yes, and not only is every family different, quite often the individual children within a family are very different as well. INC and I had no concerns pulling 4 of our girls out for the 3 days. We did have concerns about one of them though. We ultimately decided to do it (obviously), but as we expected we are dealing with the consequences now. Still worth it, but it makes it a tougher decision. Fortunately in America, we still as parents can make those decisions for our families. The school districts are trying to make it harder though.

You really never know what people's circumstances are. If we could swing it, I'd be all over this. But for now I will live vicariously through your TR.

Our local schools don't seem to care, though I think some of the boys' teachers would fuss, administrators only discourage planning trips during standardized testing. The middle school has a block schedule so missing one calendar day is like missing 2 of whatever class is that day, and some of my 7th grader's teachers don't like that. Now, my 5th grader's teacher would probably ask if she could come!

The deals currently being offered are the lowest that I have ever seen. Seriously, there are some fantastic deals being offered right now. So, if you have been thinking about it, this may be the time.

I compared the CM rate to the full rate and the difference right now is only 25%. Normally it's a 50% difference.

Go for it .....NOW.