Disney Mardi Gras Style

OK. Here goes. My first ever attempt at a trip report. please forgive me now because I know I will bounce around a little. SO...... Here We GOOOOO....

We started out on the 8th of February with a scheduled departure time of 3:00 PM. I took the whole day off from work with the intentions of getting everything loaded and hooked up for the trip. Well, that went all wrong as I had to go see the Eye DR. for a contact inspection on new contacts at 9:00 AM. Leave the Dr’s office and Shardi calls, “I need you to pick up a list of things from town.” Another couple of hours shot. This trip would be a change in our normal routine as the Big Peterbilt we normally use was to be used by my Father-In-Law to attend the Dixie Nationals Horse Reining event in Jackson, MS. So being that he owns the bulk of the title to the truck (as in all of it) I could not but allow him to use it for the horse show, you know being the great Son-In-Law that I am. So that meant that I would be pulling the Fiver with my truck. That sets up a problem in that now I have to tow the golf cart behind the Fiver. I know that this is a sticky situation with Florida, so Mums the word. Since I would have two trailers behind me, and my pickup does not carry the 180 gallons of fuel that the Peterbilt carries, I judiciously planned my fuel stops, reviewing by Google maps the entrance and egress for the trip both going and coming. This worked out great.

So, 3:50 PM, we pull out and get on the road. First stop was supper at Raisin’ Canes in Hammond, LA. They have a nice big mall parking lot right behind the restaurant for easy parking. Shardi took the time to walk the dogs. Two Cairn Terriers and a Hitch Hiking Boxer. Second stop was the first fuel stop at exit 69 in Moss Point, MS. A nice Pilot that was easy in and out. While fueling another pickup with a Fiver and a golf cart in tow pulled in to fuel. I suspected they were headed to Disney but did not get a chance to ask. (They were in the 500 loop). Finally stopped at a rest area in Florida around the 62 mile marker around 11:30 PM. Walked the dogs and went to bed. There were 5 other RV’s from Louisiana spending the night there.

6:30 Saturday morning we get back on the road. Next stop, more fuel. This time at exit 192 on the west side of Tallahassee. Another Pilot that was easy in and out. We took the time here to fire up the generator and nuke some breakfast. You remember me saying that Shardi had a list of things to pick up in town? Well one of those items was some egg ham and cheese croissants from a local bakery. They were fantastic even reheated a day later. Got back on the road and made another observation. For every one car from Florida, there were five from Louisiana headed east. I think half of the state of Louisiana went to Disney for Mardi Gras week. It became comical. I would call out plates as the cars would pass. Louisiana, Louisiana, Louisiana, Louisiana, oh, a different state, Louisiana, Louisiana, Louisiana. You get the point. It was even more evident on Tuesday. I’ll elaborate later.

3:00PM, we are at the fort. What a great feeling. The two Cairns are in the back with the kidlets. We pull up to the guard and OMG. The guard went nuts over the two dogs. “What kind are they? How old are they? Cairns? Really? There is already a family here with Cairns. What Lovely Dogs!” I thought we would never make it to the check-in. Well, we get to the check-in and it is the same show all over again with the CM’s. Did you know that they have doggy treats at the check-in? Well they do and our two Cairns had them a fill of the treats. It took another five minutes to get through the check-in because the CM’s were doting over the dogs. Finally get our site assignment, 714, and head to the unhitch area to unload the golf cart and unhitch the cart trailer, towing it to the over flow lot with the golf cart. Then it is on to the site and getting setup.

DSC_0481_zpsbef58d77.jpg

We got our FF signs up, the cart decorated, and ready to head to supper at the Flying Fish at the Boardwalk. We took Lou’s advice and drove. It is a long walk from the self parking to the boardwalk. Supper was great. We watched a couple of the street performers, DD and DS participated with one doing magic tricks.

So, after a day and a half and 817.8 miles, We get to sleep at Fort Wilderness!

Next up, Breakfast at the Polly and purchasing annual passes at the Magic Kingdom.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree that they were skimping on the BACON. Shardi also told the waiter she wanted a pot of Kona coffee but only got a pot of standard coffee. Saved me several dollars and the waiter lost out on the

Nicki, you gotta be there! Tell the hubby, no Disney, no Nicki so to speak.

I had a couple strategic smilie faces....

Posted Images

OK. I need to back up and post a few more pictures to appease the masses(dog lovers).

Here we are entering Disney property.

IMG_0310_zps1f7c9be0.jpg

Here is the Fort Sign....Everyone loves this sign, me Included.

IMG_0317_zps2ec33a99.jpg

Here we have the guard. Doesn't look like the type of person to go so gaga over a couple dogs.

IMG_0318_zps422ad967.jpg

Two said dogs attacking a CM with licks.

IMG_0319_zps8d16a593.jpg

Here the CM is digging for more treats.

IMG_0320_zps82b3f7ab.jpg

Here was dear son being part of the street performance.

IMG_0323_zpsf031fdc6.jpg

Here is dear daughter with her performance.

IMG_0333_zpsb814e1b7.jpg

Thanks to all who are following along. I am sure that you are all interested in how dual trip reports from one family will turn out. I am too.

What's your point Spec? I met one of them, very cute.

No Point.

All this talk about your adorable dogs and no pic yet?!?

Dog photos are necessary or this trip report makes no sense.

Very nice start. I agree with the others, dog pictures please....

Really.

I mean what was he thinking?

He thought we were here to see pictures of the site and other fun things they did while at Disney.

Required Dog pics posted.

I'm in. Glad you didn't have any trouble with the poo poo pulling two trailers.

Me too. I did have a plan in place, but it could have still resulted in the hassle and a fine.

Pics of the dogs would be nice... but it would be better to see them post their experiences during this TR... I mean they do have their own FF member's sign....

Please see above response.

I'm in.

Page one, baby!

Double tow! I'm impressed!

That was genius to use Google to plan your fuel stops.

You are off to a great start!

Looking forward to more.

TCD

I always try to use all available resources when making a trip. A lesson I learned the hard way from a trip to Boston, MA where I wound up on the Harvard University campus with a truck load of hazardous material and had no idea where I was nor how to get out of where I was. Bought a city map at a Walgreen's. Made it out an swore I would never go in blind again. Today's technology helps in so may ways.

Sunday morning we have reservations at Kona at the Polly. We are at the dock at 7:30am waiting on a launch to get to the Contemporary to catch a monorail to the polly. I tell Shardi, we need to drive because there is no way we will make our 8 am reservation. She insist we will, so we wait. A launch comes around Discovery Island from the Contemporary direction. Me thinking I know more than she does makes a statement that this launch was going to the Lodge and we will be late. Well, the captain pulls up and announces that he is in fact headed to the Contemporary. So on the launch we go. We pull up at the dock at the contemporary and I notice a very good fight going on between a young man and a fish. Well I have to wait and see just what this fish looks like. Well, it was worth the wait.

IMG_3120_zps97af11ab.jpg

Nice fish and great job young man, whomever you may be.

On up the stairs and onto the Monorail. It pulls up to the doors at the Polly and And when the doors open, we are directly in line with the entrance doors. We walk up to check in at the Kona Cafe and looking at the time it is 7:58am. A whole two minutes to spare. I would have never believed we would be there on time. Goes to show what I know. Either that are someone in our group was getting their first dose of Pixie Dust.

I had the Toast that everyone talks so much about. It was OK but I would not go out of my way to get it. Obligatory Pood Forn Pic.

IMG_0346_zpsaed33f2e.jpg

After eating and starting to leave, I looked down into the fountain pool and stared in amazement. Disney has floating rocks at the Polly. Really, there was a big rock floating around inside the fountain pool. See.

IMG_3138_zps8fb84f09.jpg

After shaking off the amazement, we headed for the Magic Kingdom to perform three task.

1. Convert all my Disney credits from the Disney Visa to a gift card.

2. Purchase Annual Passes

3. Purchase a Tables in Wonderland card.

This went off smoothly as a nice CM got me the Visa packet so I was able to call and activate it while in line at guest relations. Got to the counter and completed the second two task. We then went into the Magic Kingdom and made a straight line to get some SoM cards.

Next up, We seperate so that Shardi can go walk the two hounds while I take the two kids to Epcot.

Great photos!

That kid did catch a nice fish. I never thought of taking my kids on one of these excursions. They have all fished other places and caught fish. But, I think it would be fun for them to catch fish like this. They probably wouldn't want to now.

Is that all the bacon you got with the Tonga Toast? I've only ordered it downstairs at the quick serve. I would think they could afford to give you a couple more slices of bacon considering the charge upstairs vs. downstairs.

I have been to the Polynesian Resort plenty, and have never seen a floating rock. But, darned if you didn't see one. What's up with that?

TCD

Looking forward to more.

IN! for the heckle of course. :)

What else are you gonna do?

Besides heckle him during the many hours he spends trying to figure out the best way to actually write a trip report, but seriously why leave the Fiends out on that fun!

Thanks for thinking to share it with us.