It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

Looks like I may have a small window of opportunity to post in between the endless error messages, so I will go for it . . .

Plus, if you stink the place up you can just bail. 

As we both agreed- it is an emergency exit.

As a bonus, if you leave the door open when you bail, the noxious fumes will air out faster.

I don't usually admit it, but I'm glad to be wrong.....thinking that the TCD TR was over.

Glad that you're glad.

There is a bit of bonus material to sort through before this one is done.

I cant believe that weed showed up in another picture.

bonus posts at the end of your TR.

Two snaps up in a circle.

Two snaps in a circle?

Is that better than a Z snap?

Sorry, I forgot I wanted to answer these questions. Understand, I am a purist, so these are purist answers.

1. Where is earth? Is it ever even mentioned

A galaxy far, far away. Perhaps doesn't even exist yet. That is, perhaps the planet known as "earth" has not even formed yet. Star Wars happened "a long time ago."

2. Who paid for all that stuff they have? Seriously, where did the money come from for the Death Star, and who funded the Rebels? All those space ships and stuff can't be cheap.

It depends on which side you're asking about. The Empire is very much like the Nazis -- they rape and pillage the homeworlds of alien races and enslave them. Wookies, for example, are heavily enslaved by the Empire.

The Rebels are the leftovers of the Old Republic that splintered from the Empire when Palpatine declared himself Emperor. They are vestiges of the good guys who ran the Old Republic as a democracy. The Rebels fight with the weaponry, ships, and materiel of the Old Republic. That's why it looks so old and beat up.

4. What about gravity? It seems to be the same wherever anyone goes in space.

Passenger ships are equipped with artificial gravity generators.

5. How is it that there are a zillion storm troopers shooting at the good guys and nobody ever gets shot? Not even nicked.

Ahhh...remember, a stormtrooper shot Leia in the ROTJ. The stormtroopers shot C3PO in ESB. And the Empire entirely routed the good guys in ESB. Even so, the stormtroopers are shock troops. Since the Empire has absolutely no regard for human life, the stormtroopers are simply conscripts impressed into service. They receive very little training, and the Empire's battle strategy is to simply overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers, the way the Soviets fought the Germans in WWII.

The backstory of Star Wars was logical, interesting, and well thought out...until Lucas ruined it all with those prequel abominations.

How's that for nerdy?

Bravo Troll!!! I never bothered to answer him cause I figured I had exposed my geekiness enough

You two be sure to stick around.  You will like the bonus features.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, Norm.

So, the whole Star Wars saga could have taken place before Earth was even formed?

And there were humans and all this technology, and then the earth was populated by blobs, the dinosaurs, etc.?

Oh brother.

I like the street side door on the bathroom. This way, if I am having a tough time finding my way back to the campsite after some fun at Crockett's and I need to use the facilities, I can just go on in without disturbing you while you are sitting under your awning.

Another good point.

As far as the bird lady, birds are annoying. I don't care if you rescued them or not. They are loud and obnoxious. In Central America, they are considered pests. So no worries. If the bird lady and her following are there when I am, there will be some exotic meats grilling on FWGuy's BBQ. Stop by.

Thanks for the warning.

I enjoyed finding the hidden Devine in your Fort pics. It's like Where's Waldo. But creepier.

Yes!  WAY creepier.  Let's all agree to never play that game again. 

This is no game.

It is all starting to make sense now.

Why did the Fort spend all that money to rip out all of the wilderness in the campsites?

So Devine couldn't hide and continue to devour unsuspecting campers.

That fence around the remains of River Country isn't there to keep campers out.  It is there to keep the Devines who escaped from the secret breeding facility on Discovery Island in.

But, they apparently have organized, and bred, and found a way out.

Mmmm...BBQ macaw. Dibs on the white meat.

LOL!

I guess I'll have to have a drumstick.

TCD

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

If it wasn't for the bonus material which will follow, this would be the last update to this trip report.

But there will be bonus material, so stick around.

Some of it will seem like deja vu, but there will be some new things to see.

For now, we will finish up with our departure from the Fort.

I ended the last update with a look at the Bird Lady's site.

From there, we headed back toward the 100 loop.

As we passed the 1500 loop, we could see that the scout group was packing up to go home.  I still say this is too many kids to unleash on the other campers in the 1500 loop:

MemorialDay2013749_zps79c1bc83.jpg

From there, the girls took off, and I busted my hump getting all of our equipment packed and ready to go.  It was hot and sunny.  I'll take that any day over cold and rainy. 

While the girls enjoyed a nice lunch in the air conditioned comfort of the Be Our Guest restaurant in the MK, I sweated and snacked on the last of the GAG.

In other words, everyone was happy.

Before long, it was time to roll:

MemorialDay2013750_zps6c040795.jpg

As you can see, my neighbors with the tear drop had long since left.

There were several other sites vacant now, and the site cleaner had not been around.  I guess there would not be a lot of check-in's this morning.

I decided that a quick last looping trip wouldn't hurt anyone.

Plus, it would cool me off.

So, I stopped and took one last look at Clementine's Beach.  Look- a parasailer.  I want to try that sometime.  I have been many places where it is offered, but if I ever try it, I want it to be on Bay Lake:

MemorialDay2013751_zps84280c92.jpg

Here's a last look at the big open area behind Pioneer Hall.  On the plans for the new DVC, this would be full of giant new buildings.  But, it seems as if that is not going to happen now.  Good :

MemorialDay2013752_zps27566515.jpg

If that DVC ever gets built as planned, there will be a huge building standing right here, too:

MemorialDay2013753_zps93bedf2b.jpg

Time to head back:

MemorialDay2013754_zps5050e7b4.jpg

Hey, I almost forgot to take a photo of the sad remains of the Lawnmower Tree.  I know one of these days, it will just quietly disappear so I always try to get a photo:

MemorialDay2013755_zps33945999.jpg

A last photo of the Settlement Trading Post:

MemorialDay2013756_zps28019cd4.jpg

And the path:

MemorialDay2013757_zpsce03aeaf.jpg

The Settlement Bus Stop is over there behind those trees.  This would all change drastically if the DVC is ever built:

MemorialDay2013758_zpsc04eb963.jpg

A couple of shots of the bus stop and barn area:

MemorialDay2013759_zps96a99804.jpg

MemorialDay2013760_zps15a767b4.jpg

OK, now it really is time to go:

MemorialDay2013761_zps4855667e.jpg

But wait, I just remembered something else I wanted to get a photo of.  There were some new slabs poured on the 2000 loop, and I wanted to get a photo of those.

So, here we go:

MemorialDay2013762_zps4067615f.jpg

The 2000 loop really is looking good these days.  Since the clearing, they have planted a lot of plants all around, and they have grown in nicely:

MemorialDay2013763_zps42b33025.jpg

This is a site on the 2000 loop.  I cannot disclose the number, because I am thinking of requesting it on my next visit.  Look how nice it is:

MemorialDay2013764_zps9056e75d.jpg

Now, here's that new slab they poured.  At first I thought it was asphalt, but looking again, it is just really dark concrete.  This isn't going to feel good to bare feet in the summer:

MemorialDay2013765_zpsbd77e047.jpg

Oh, yeah, here's some more photos I took.

There was a pretty lively thread on this site a few weeks ago about whether or not it would be OK to drain sink water directly on to the ground at the Fort.

I'm sure you remember that .

So, what is the Fort's policy on that?

Good luck trying to find it.

But, there are these signs on the utility connections:

MemorialDay2013766_zps68dce2e0.jpg

MemorialDay2013767_zpsb431c887.jpg

So- they do tell campers to collect gray and black water in portable containers.

Then what?

They don't say.

Dump it on the ground?

In the lake?

What do you do with it?

I think the correct answer is to find an empty site with a sewer connection and dump it there.

But, good luck trying to find that in writing somewhere.

I would think that if the Fort took the Florida gray and black water disposal laws seriously, they could at least put something about it on the bulletin boards.  I mean, they waste paper to remind people to turn their clocks ahead and back, isn't ground water pollution a little more important than that?

Oh, and then there is this warning.  They put these on all the electric boxes at the campsites a few years ago:

MemorialDay2013768_zps81bc0ae6.jpg

So what the heck does that mean?

This warning is on the lid that you have to lift to get to the electric outlets.

Am I in danger of being shocked just by plugging an electric cord into one of those outlets?

Is that what that means?

If so, it would be nice to have just a bit more information.

Like, for example, what safety equipment they suggest I use.

And, if these are supposed to be on all of the electric service boxes at all the campsites, somebody forgot to put them on the new boxes on the 100 loop. 

Now, it's time to head back.

But, I got stuck behind this slow CM who was reading some important information on his clip board and unsuccessfully trying to drive at the same time.  You see this a lot at the Fort.  You would think management might want to tell their employees to keep their eyes on the road:

MemorialDay2013769_zps29f368a3.jpg

After a long slow ride behind that CM, I finally made it back to good old site 123, and as much as I hated to leave, I had to.

Here's a last look right after I pulled out.  The site is cleaner than when I found it.  That's how I roll:

MemorialDay2013770_zps2bdb1840.jpg

And then I headed out.

I already posted this photo on another thread, but I'll share it here too, in case anyone missed it.  It is of the new facades on the Best Friends Kennel.  We had noticed it on a previous drive by, but did not get photos:

MemorialDay2013771_zpsb2afa6a0.jpg

And that is it.

The last photo from our Memorial Day weekend trip.

The drive home alone was strange.

I didn't like it.

But we all made it home safely.

I thought that would be the last trip to Disney with both twins before Twin #2 heads off to college.

But, I now know that I was wrong.

We squeezed in one more trip this past Saturday.

We had been talking about how we had only made it to one Star Wars weekend.

In the past, we've gone a couple of times at least.

But this year was different.

One thing led to another, and we found we had time for a day trip on Saturday, June 8.

So we went.

And that means we have some more Star Wars geeks to look at.

Quite a few, actually.

If that isn't your thing, we also visited the Art of Animation Resort, the Magic Kingdom, and Wilderness Lodge, so there will be something for everyone.

So don't run off.

TCD

Why not? I think it's a great idea, can enter just the bathroom without tromping through the rest of the camper, and if you need to go while on the road, can stop at a rest stop, walk back without walking around to the passenger side.

And if Dave's 'ohanas get out of control open the door for more ventilation !

This is no game.

It is all starting to make sense now.

Why did the Fort spend all that money to rip out all of the wilderness in the campsites?

So Devine couldn't hide and continue to devour unsuspecting campers.

That fence around the remains of River Country isn't there to keep campers out.  It is there to keep the Devines who escaped from the secret breeding facility on Discovery Island in.

But, they apparently have organized, and bred, and found a way out.

All these years I have been trying to throw you off the scent by talking about the Iranian nuclear experiments in the blue tanks at River Country....and now you have finally figured out my evil plot.  Yes, I have been secretly breeding Devines in those blue tanks....sort of like the Behind the Seeds tour only more rustic and creepy.  I have been lying about my fear of Devine to further throw you off the trail, until the day when I could unleash my secret army of Devinetroopers on an unsuspecting populace of campers and rule the Fort!  And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.   

And if Dave's 'ohanas get out of control open the door for more ventilation !

It's not if.

It's when.

All these years I have been trying to throw you off the scent by talking about the Iranian nuclear experiments in the blue tanks at River Country....and now you have finally figured out my evil plot.  Yes, I have been secretly breeding Devines in those blue tanks....sort of like the Behind the Seeds tour only more rustic and creepy.  I have been lying about my fear of Devine to further throw you off the trail, until the day when I could unleash my secret army of Devinetroopers on an unsuspecting populace of campers and rule the Fort!  And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.   

LOL!

Very good.

And now you will have a long time to think about what you did.

And to think, you almost got away with it!

TCD

So, as you now know, there will be some bonus content.

We made it back to WDW for a visit to DHS for the final Star Wars Weekend of the year.

We left home at 5 am so we could make it for rope drop.

Yes, I said 5 am.

That's how we roll.

I have to tell you, it's pretty sweet cruising on I-4 at that hour.

I set the cruise control just outside of Tampa and didn't even have to tap the brakes until we were at exit 62.

We parked, got our stuff together. and got our place near the front of the virtual RFID turnstiles all before 7 am.

I left the girls there to take a look at the celebrity Fastpass line.

I guess they opened it before 7, because people were passing through when I took this photo at 6:55:

06813SWW001_zps147c929d.jpg

I heard through the grapevine that guests had begun lining up at 11 pm the night before just to get a chance for a few seconds with Billy Dee Williams.

Folks were walking their overnight gear back to their cars as the sun rose:

06813SWW003_zpsf51dcdc7.jpg

All of the folks you see here spent all night in line for a chance to get an autograph from a marginal Star Wars celebrity:

06813SWW004_zpsf0c704d5.jpg

As you can see in the photo above, there were five lines.  From left to right in that photo, they were for: Ashley Eckstein, James Arnold Taylor, Tom Kane, Peter Mayhew and Billy Dee Williams.

If you said "who?" to any of the above, thank you for making my point.

As you can see, all of the serious geeks are in the last three of those lines:

06813SWW005_zps30e830bf.jpg

It seems like this morning, the strategy was to get the Fastpass and then split.  The entry lines reserved for the Fastpass getters were kind of empty:

06813SWW006_zps2759c77b.jpg

I mentioned that we scored a good spot at the entry.  Here is where we were- just one guest ahead of us:

06813SWW007_zps4867364d.jpg

I could see the two CM's who came out and put the rope in place there down on Hollywood Boulevard:

06813SWW008_zps14fe5b0e.jpg

At the appropriate time, all we had to do was walk quickly down the street, and claim our place at the rope:

06813SWW009_zpsa9cb29f8.jpg

The celebrity Fastpass area finally got a little busy:

06813SWW010_zpse97475e8.jpg

This guy in the lane next to us was here when we got here- he looks like he means business:

06813SWW011_zps9dbc412c.jpg

A few more CM's came out:

06813SWW012_zps04685935.jpg

We had arrived just a little before 7.  By a little before 7:30, here's how things looked in the lines adjacent to us:

06813SWW013_zps608ee275.jpg

Make sure you didn't miss the C3P0 backpack on the guy in the middle of that last photo.

Then, right before 7:30, the turnstiles began to admit guests.

We powerwalked our way right up to the rope, and here we are at 7:29 am, right on the rope- in the center:

06813SWW015_zps9f5e29ab.jpg

Our view down the boulevard:

06813SWW016_zps89904eb9.jpg

Nothing happened for a while.  Just more and more CM's filing in:

06813SWW017_zpsbe7e35d2.jpg

The guests in this Star Wars crowd like to dawdle.  Look at the pack back there who has not yet made it to the rope:

06813SWW018_zpse44fde23.jpg

At 7:31 am, the Storm Troopers came out:

06813SWW020_zps4218a06f.jpg

For the enjoyment of all geeks reading along, I recorded the whole show.  You can see the laser shot, and hear all the banter and see them pointing right at me and picking on me all in this video.  Also, at the end, I pan to the crowd behind us, so you can see what a good job we did getting up here on the rope.  This will require an investment of 7 1/2 minutes of your time.  But, if you like Star Wars, you will enjoy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnquuNtSdW0

I will stop here to give everyone a chance to watch the video.

Note how fast that laser shot happens at the beginning.  That makes me earlier photo of it all the more impressive.

Let me know when you are ready to move on with the rest of the report.

Because you know what's coming next.

Another Stampede!

TCD

1. Ashley Eckstein is hot and worth waiting in line to see.

2. Outside of shooting the flare gun at the top of a building, there was nothing worth watching on that video. It sounded like the dialogue was written by the best of three middle school kids who bothered to enter a contest at their school, and all the talented kids didn't bother.

I'm ready to move on because I'm not watch a silly video of guys that live with their parents, marching around in plastic, yup, SW geeks, they're made out of good old fashion plastic, and carrying plastic pretend weapons, once again, plastic.

Uhhh Lou. How do you know what the video is about? You don't read trip reports. For that matter how did you know the video was even there? 

I have to admit, I feel a little bad for the semi-celebrities who didn't have a lot of people in their lines. Like they are the D list of the D list. 

But I am loving the fact that we get a side of trip report with our trip report! Bring it!

I will respond to these comments, but it looks like the next update will be in the morning.

1. Ashley Eckstein is hot and worth waiting in line to see.

2. Outside of shooting the flare gun at the top of a building, there was nothing worth watching on that video. It sounded like the dialogue was written by the best of three middle school kids who bothered to enter a contest at their school, and all the talented kids didn't bother.

Please stay tuned for an Ashley Eckstein photo.  I am surprised that you know who she is.

Can't argue with you about the video, but the flare gun is cool.

Yay!!! Bonus!!!

Yes, bonus!

And a lot of it!

That was fun. I amready for more now. I have no idea if/when I will get to Star Wars weekends and must live vicariously for now.

I would think hitting a SWW would be a priority for a SW geek.

You need to find a way to make it.

I'm ready to move on because I'm not watching a silly video of guys that live with their parents, marching around in plastic, yup, SW geeks, they're made out of good old fashion plastic, and carrying plastic pretend weapons, once again, plastic.

If you want to see some real SW geeks fresh from the basement, stay tuned.

We watched the parade.

Devores previously posted photos which made it look very nice.

But, he is a professional photographer, and does not have my eye for the geeks.

We hit geek paydirt I tell you.

I have to admit, I feel a little bad for the semi-celebrities who didn't have a lot of people in their lines. Like they are the D list of the D list. 

But I am loving the fact that we get a side of trip report with our trip report! Bring it!

Don't feel bad, the D list of the D list still got plenty of geek love.

I am not going to geek out and watch the vid.  Your description on the previous visit is quite enough for my reform SW geekness.   Move Along...Move Along

OK, I'll move along.

But the geekiness has just begun.

I thought that video was pretty cool for around 30 seconds. 

I am honored that you stuck with it for that long.

Fantastic TR!!! 

Remember Andrew! The Geese!!!!

They will always prevail! and when you see a group of geese they are called a gaggle!

Wish i was there!

Have fun!

J.W. aka Lug,

No way!

The Lug?

Glad to see a post from you!

Hope all is well.

Did you get married and settle down?

LUG, where you been?

Yeah, I want to know too.

Ok I watched the video.

Time to move on.

And we shall.

I will do just that first thing in the morning.

Starting with the stampede and a whirlwind visit to the major DHS attractions.

TCD

Great trip report TCD! Now that are trips are going to be a lot less frequent I really look forward to you reports. Thanks for taking the time to post them I know how much work they are.

This is a site on the 2000 loop.  I cannot disclose the number, because I am thinking of requesting it on my next visit.  Look how nice it is:

MemorialDay2013764_zps9056e75d.jpg

TCD

I think I know this site we had it back in 2010, it had a really nice row of big bushes on one side and some smaller ones growing in on the other side, it was a great 2000 loop site!

WBI

Re: the electrical box warnings

An arc flash can occur when racking a breaker in or out. In simple terms you can be hit with molten copper and extreme heat.  Protective equipment can range from simple gloves or clothing to shields, or bomb technician looking suits. The size of the breaker dictates what type of protection is needed. Arc flash gear is rated by "calories". The higher calorie rating the better the protection. Large breakers can kill in an arc flash incident.

I actually watched the entire thing.  You owe me 7 minutes of good TR content. 

Seven minutes?

Of good content?

How am I supposed to provide that?

Great trip report TCD! Now that are trips are going to be a lot less frequent I really look forward to you reports. Thanks for taking the time to post them I know how much work they are.

I think I know this site we had it back in 2010, it had a really nice row of big bushes on one side and some smaller ones growing in on the other side, it was a great 2000 loop site!

WBI

Yes, I remember your TR from your 2010 trip.  I think this is the same site you had.

With them sticking large groups of kids in the 1500 loop so often lately, I may actually ask to be assigned to this area of 2000.

Or, I may have to bite the bullet and cough up the extra money for preferred or premium.

Two snaps up in a circle= reference from the old TV show "In Living Color"

I am bringing my bow to hunt Devines before they continue breeding and ruin the Fort.

If I was geeky enough to wait in line, I would have Lando autograph a Colt 45 bottle.

I remember the "guys" who snapped.  They probably couldn't get away with that kind of humor today.

Please bring the bow, but I do think Round-Up would be more effective.

Getting Billy Dee to sign a Colt 45 bottle would be epic!

I wonder if he would do it?

He seems to be a good sport.  Did you see the Modern Family episode that he had a cameo in this past year?

Re: the electrical box warnings

An arc flash can occur when racking a breaker in or out. In simple terms you can be hit with molten copper and extreme heat.  Protective equipment can range from simple gloves or clothing to shields, or bomb technician looking suits. The size of the breaker dictates what type of protection is needed. Arc flash gear is rated by "calories". The higher calorie rating the better the protection. Large breakers can kill in an arc flash incident.

Jeez.

I was thinking they were warning about a little shock, not molten copper and death.  Why are those stickers on all the boxes?  Who is that warning directed at?  I've heard that there were campers who messed with the boxes in order to plug in more Christmas decorations.  I wonder if that is what prompted the warnings?  But, as an average Joe with no knowledge of electrical engineering, that sticker means nothing to me.

Holy crap I finally caught up.  I have to get up at 6 am, but it was worth it.  Thanks TCD.

Dan

Good job.

Sorry if you're dragging at work today.

But, it was worth it, right?

TCD