It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

Despite being gypped on the calliope and having to endure a wet butt and crowds all day, it was all worth it just to see those fireworks.

I think you just made my point.

I will not endure being wet in an amusement park, and I will not put up with those crowds just for fireworks.

Having said that, I was at MK just for the fireworks. We arrived 2 minutes before they started, and left as soon as they ended, so I didn't have to deal with the crowds at all. But I'm only 15 minutes away, can get in and out quickly, and it wasn't raining.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

DS and I walked right passed a couple CMs near RC in February and they didnt say anything either.  They watched us taking pics through the fence holes too.

Maybe there is just a couple that get a bug up their butts?

I think the couple with the bugs are the Rangers.  As far as I can tell, they get paid to harass the paying customers, so that's what they do.  The don't work early in the morning, though, which is when I'm usually there.

I think you just made my point.

I will not endure being wet in an amusement park, and I will not put up with those crowds just for fireworks.

Having said that, I was at MK just for the fireworks. We arrived 2 minutes before they started, and left as soon as they ended, so I didn't have to deal with the crowds at all. But I'm only 15 minutes away, can get in and out quickly, and it wasn't raining.

I understand your point, but you are a special case.

I can't pop in for 2 minutes and then drive 15 minutes home to my mansion like you.

For Wishes, I wouldn't go to any trouble to see the fireworks, for the 4th of July, a little  OK a lot of inconvenience is still worth it.

I beg to differ I spent 24 hours in the park with these two-

945194_146644145522202_1513100649_n.jpg

Really.... we see how you are!

The funny thing is that I know y'all had a blast.

Your photos don't look that way, but I know you did.

TCD

So here we go- the end for real.

As you know from reading this far, Twin #2 headed off to school in Tallahassee in June.

The oldest TCD DD has been up at Auburn since right after she graduated from FSU in May.

Surprisingly, Mrs. TCD and I have handled all of this amazingly well.

Our oldest loves Auburn.  She is so happy that she chose that program.  And so are we.

Twin #2 has loved FSU so far.  This is so different from our oldest daughter's initial experience,  That was one crisis after another, and I remember there were several times that we considered jumping in the car and going to get her.  This has not been the case at all with Twin #2.  I think not having roommate drama has been a big part of this.

To my surprise, the one in our family who has been affected the most by this is Twin #1.  She really misses her sisters, and doesn't have the fun and excitement of a new college experience going on right now.  And being the sole focus of two parents' attention has not been fun.

When we saw what was coming this summer, we realized that there would be some time around the 4th of July that the family could get together.  Twin #2 was only going to get the 4th off though, and in theory, classes were still supposed to be meeting on July 5th.

So, we decided that we should all gather some place in north Florida for the 4th of July weekend.  That way Twin #2 could come to us and she could go back to class on the 5th if she really had to.

So, we have access to a cabin on a beautiful river in north Florida.  It belongs to a family member, and we used to go there a lot when the girls were smaller, and they were more easily entertained.  We arranged to use it for the 4th.

Two of the TCD girls came from the north, and we came from the south, and we all met up for the fourth.  The girls invited a couple of friends along, and even the TCD dog Rocky, got to come.

We had a great time, and will definitely be doing it again.

I didn't plan to include this in the TR, but I gathered a few photos from the girls social media accounts, and will share them so we can bring this report up to date and complete it.

Here is the oldest daughter.  Note the War Eagle head band.  She loves the Noles, but she loves the Auburn Tigers now too:

4th_zpsbce4e891.jpg

And here's Twin #2- I love her shirt- it says:  Running the World Since 1776, in case you can't make it out:

4th2_zps82f0dd66.jpg

Here are the twins with Twin #1's BFF.  She is going to be starting at FSU in the fall, while Twin #1 is at UF:

sparkler_zpsa18cb900.jpg

Here is Rocky- he loves the river!:

4th3_zpse4f5deb1.jpg

One more Rocky shot.  He has his flip flop in his mouth.  Since there's no tetherball at the river, he has to chase that flip flop.  No matter where you throw it, even if it's in the river, he will get it:

rocky_zps9161d7cf.jpg

Here are the girls paddleboarding.  It's a thing we do:

4th4_zpsaa7f28b6.jpg

One more paddleboard shot-this is our oldest DD's BFF- make sure you don't miss Rocky swimming there to the bottom right of the photo:

paddleboard_zpsef6e0e23.jpg

This was all great. 

It turns out that Twin #2's classes for the 5th got cancelled, so she could stay for the whole weekend.

But, on Saturday morning, she comes to me and says she wants to go to Disney World to see the 4th of July fireworks.  She was bummed that she had missed them.  I said that it was a bad idea- that she would then have a long drive back to school.  She said she would go back to our house and spend the night Saturday night, and then head back to school on Sunday.  Mrs. TCD and I discussed it, and decided to let the girl have some fun.   So the twins left on Saturday and headed to WDW.  Our oldest daughter decided to head back to Auburn, and so Mrs. TCD and I headed for home.

I got this instagram from Twin #1 that night:

usa_zps28ded829.jpg

It is good to be a TCD twin.

So, Twin #1 and Twin #2 got some unexpected twin time in.

That was good for both of them.

They came home that night, and Twin #2 headed back to school on Sunday.

On Tuesday, Twin #1 and I headed to Gainesville for her orientation at UF.

We were clearly in God's country- this was the beautiful carpet outside the Union ballroom where most of the sessions were held:

rug_zps00264f9b.jpg

Twin #1 is the only one of my children who will attend my Alma Mater, so this was my first time going through orientation at UF.

In the first session, they asked the parents to stand, and any who were alumni to remain standing.  They recognized us and gave each of us a sweet coffee table book.  It's great to be a Florida Gator:

bookphoto_zps12bad8b2.jpg

Guess what they have in the campus food court?  A Starbucks- just like on Main Street, USA:

starbucksp_zps09213e56.jpg

For a lot of the orientation, the parents are separated from the students.  At one point, I saw Twin #1 getting her college ID card, so I took a stalker photo.  She's there at the window opposite the Tim Tebow poster:

gatorone_zpsb85ffa6d.jpg

Orientation went all day Tuesday and Wednesday.

While this was my first at UF, it was my third college orientation as a parent.

With perspective, I realized how ridiculous a lot of the other parents were.

They were freaking out about their kids leaving.

A little like I was when I began this long winded report almost two months ago.

Twin #2 is sailing right along in her summer session at FSU.  She called us the other night to let us know she had gotten an A on her Economics mid-term.  Mid-term, as in the summer session is already halfway over.

Twin #1 moves in to her UF dorm exactly one month from yesterday.  That's August 10.  These next 30 days will go fast.

But you know what?

It's the end of the world as we know it.

But I really am all right.

My kids are growing up.  It was Mrs. TCD's and my job to raise them to be ready to go off and make it on their own.  So far, they are doing great.  Things have changed for sure, but we are still a family, and when we get together, it is as good as it ever was.  So, everything is going to be fine.

Thanks for reading.

This really is the end.

I am hoping that there will be a quick trip with the TCD gang in that really short window between when summer session ends and Twin #1 heads off.  If that happens, then you'll have a new TCD TR to read in August.  Not too long from now. Be sure to look for it.

TCD

I got tears in my eyes until that carpet picture made me puke.

Seriously though, it's evident you guys have done a great job with your kids. I love the pictures on the 4th. You're an All-American family! Sanford loves fetching in the water too. He'll do it until he can barely walk because he's so tired, so we have to be careful.

Great trip report!

The end.  It's very sad.  

But I am happy that you are okay with it.  

For years our daughter and her family lived next door to us.  Their 3 boys popped in and out of our house all day.  Then they moved 1.5 hours away.  I cried, but I coped.  Then a few weeks ago they moved out of state, too far for a day trip.  I'm devastated.  

Our youngest son went to college out of state.  He remained out of state and moved farther and farther away until he took a job with the PGA in Port St. Lucie, FL.  Just an excuse for us to go to Florida (and Disney) more often.  About that time we bought the moho.  Then after a few years in PSL he suddenly moved his family less than 2 hours away from us so he could attend seminary.  They plan to remain in the Raleigh area for the foreseeable future.  I can live with that.

You have wonderful girls.  I'm sure they will make great decisions for their lives.  You have forged such a strong bond with each of your girls, and each is so fortunate to have a father like you.  I only wish I could feel like everything is going to be fine.

Sorry, I'm rambling.  This last post has stirred up emotions in me.  I wish I could have my crew back at least in the same state!

I have not posted in a while.  But it has been great to read along your journey.  I am sure it is a hard yet magnificent experience and the memories you have with all of the TCD girls is priceless!  Great job on being a great father and playing such an important in the girls lives.  Definitely an example to follow with my rugrats.

That is just about the saddest trip report ending ever. 

Somehow, I'm not sad.

I am happy that my girls have all gotten into the schools that they wanted to, and are happy with their choices so far.

I know there will be some ups and downs, but so far, I really am OK.  And, more importantly, so are they.

Seriously though, it's evident you guys have done a great job with your kids. I love the pictures on the 4th. You're an All-American family! Sanford loves fetching in the water too. He'll do it until he can barely walk because he's so tired, so we have to be careful.

Great trip report!

I knew you'd like that carpet.

Thanks for the kind words.  We did the best we could with the girls.  We have been blessed that they have all been great kids from the beginning.

:bravo:

Thank you.

The end.  It's very sad.  

But I am happy that you are okay with it.  

For years our daughter and her family lived next door to us.  Their 3 boys popped in and out of our house all day.  Then they moved 1.5 hours away.  I cried, but I coped.  Then a few weeks ago they moved out of state, too far for a day trip.  I'm devastated.  

Our youngest son went to college out of state.  He remained out of state and moved farther and farther away until he took a job with the PGA in Port St. Lucie, FL.  Just an excuse for us to go to Florida (and Disney) more often.  About that time we bought the moho.  Then after a few years in PSL he suddenly moved his family less than 2 hours away from us so he could attend seminary.  They plan to remain in the Raleigh area for the foreseeable future.  I can live with that.

You have wonderful girls.  I'm sure they will make great decisions for their lives.  You have forged such a strong bond with each of your girls, and each is so fortunate to have a father like you.  I only wish I could feel like everything is going to be fine.

Sorry, I'm rambling.  This last post has stirred up emotions in me.  I wish I could have my crew back at least in the same state!

Go ahead and ramble.  I get what you're saying.

I think it's neat how I can speak to my oldest daughter now adult to adult.  I have to confess that I was sad when she told me how much she loved Alabama.  So much so, that she said she'd like to stay there after she completes her Masters.  She has really been taken by how nice the people who live there are.  There are a lot of grouches and not nice people in Florida.  Apparently, the people around Auburn are all happy and nice.

These days, I guess it's too much to ask to think that the kids will come back and settle near us.  If they move far enough away and have children, that is going to be my way to convince Mrs. TCD that we need a motorhome.

I have not posted in a while.  But it has been great to read along your journey.  I am sure it is a hard yet magnificent experience and the memories you have with all of the TCD girls is priceless!  Great job on being a great father and playing such an important in the girls lives.  Definitely an example to follow with my rugrats.

Eric- I'm not some kind of super dad.  But I made sure that I was there for my girls.  Always.  I've been to a lot of boring dance recitals and school things.  But I would do it all over again in a heatbeat.  The best thing you can give your kids is your time and attention.  It worked for me.  And I enjoyed every minute of it.

Double post.  On a side note we are going to the World next weekend and staying at AOA.  Most importantly we are getting AP's and I am planning to start making trips much like you have with the girls.

AoA!  Lucky!  Have a good time in that Nemo pool!

Another great report sir!

Looking forward to possible TR coming after summer term and all the college football saturday TRs to come in the Fall.

Thanks.

Yup.  Football season for the TCD gang starts 8/31 in Gainesville.  Followed by a trip to Auburn the next week, and to Tallahassee the week after that.  It looks like we will just have a couple of weekends all fall where we won't be in either Gainesville, Tallahassee or Auburn.  I'll be sure to bring the camera.

Sad, heck no. TCD has already started renovating those two rooms into a home theater and workout room.

That's what parenthood is all about. Turn them into fine adults and out they go.

For once, I agree with Lou.

We have done all that we can.  The rest is up to them.  I am excited for them.  Surprisingly, I am not sad.

Home theater room. Now youre talking Lou.

Now he can watch classics like "The Black Hole" and "Pete's Dragon" in style!

Pete's Dragon I have seen.  Brilliant.  Much better than I thought it would be.

The Black Hole?

Should I?

TCD

The Castle show was not shown on the 1st because the MSEP was late starting and did not finish in time. So in order for the fireworks to start on time, they had to cancel the show. Also, the fireworks on the 3rd and 4th were 360 degrees while the rest of the week were only 180 degrees. So you got a little more on the 3rd and 4th.

Point taken, but I'd still come during the Christmas season rather than the 4th.

Me too, but I've seen the Christmas fireworks - albeit not exactly ON Christmas.

I respectfully disagree.

Despite being gypped on the calliope and having to endure a wet butt and crowds all day, it was all worth it just to see those fireworks.

See Lou?!  Told ya!  

It does not look like anyone is having fun in that photo.

TCD

I blame the angle.  We were actually laughing so hard we were crying and couldn't breathe.  While we can't all exactly remember, this may have been the point at which those words that will go down in history were uttered...

"Today was brought to you by the letter..."   "12"

We just generally look a mess because it was something like 3am and we'd been in the park for 21 hours at that point.  8)

My kids are growing up.  It was Mrs. TCD's and my job to raise them to be ready to go off and make it on their own.  So far, they are doing great.  Things have changed for sure, but we are still a family, and when we get together, it is as good as it ever was.  So, everything is going to be fine.

Thanks for sharing the bonus photos - they were great!

And you and Mrs TCD have done your job well.  You have a lot to be proud of with your girls.  This is just the next chapter in the journey. 

OMG Kelly I love you :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

..worse yet, TCD trip reports filled with selfie photos as there are no twins to take pics of.  

:rotfl6:

Who said anything about me being sad for you?? I am sad for the rest of us who are faced with either no more TCD trip reports...or worse yet, TCD trip reports filled with selfie photos as there are no twins to take pics of.

Blurry selfies at that! tCD please work on your selfie skills!

We still had about 20 minutes until the parade would start.  That gave me time for some people watching.  Check out this guy in the Yoda shirt. It says An Elf I am Not.  Or something like that.  That's a Christmas shirt, right?

06813SWW097_zpse7192170.jpg

LIKE!