The TCD Gang Springs Forward at the Fort- A Spring Break 2014 TR

After 4 trips of trying, we finally saw Fantasmic last week. Not what I expected, although I'm not sure what I expected. I like Dave's idea of a pirate show.

I think I expected it to be more live characters and less projection on the water sprays. Cool idea, just wanted more live action.

Yes, there is a lot of spraying water in Fantasmic.  The first time we saw it, it was a cold and windy night.  We thought it was strange how there were so many seats open near the stage.  Then we nearly got soaked from the wind blowing those water sprays on us during the show.  It took a long time before the girls ever wanted to go back after that first viewing.

TCD,

I have fallen behind on my reading. I am not caught up yet, but will leave a couple of comments now.

I laughed out loud, over your "really cold" comment when you went on to say it was 50!!! I can only dream about temperatures in the 50's!! And tonight I hear that we are supposed to get more snow on Wednesday.....maybe a lot...UGH!!!!

Just figured that I would throw this out there. My kids and I have used Magical Express four times. My husband has used it at least 10 times. Each time was very efficient. I remember one time, the only people on it, were my kids, Mom and myself. That was strange and funny! Really though, we have never sat waiting on the bus long and even if they have a stop or two before our stop, they are quick. Plus, they show a fun "intro to Disney" type movie which is good. I don't blame your daughter for wanting to be picked up, but if it doesn't work out, Magical Express is a pretty good program.

Looking forward to reading about you and one of the twins at the Muppet event! Sounds fun!

Heidi

Thanks for checking in, Heidi.

I hope things start thawing out for you now that it's spring.

Thanks for sharing your Magical Express experiences.  My daughter wants to give it a try.  The thing is, both times she's flown in, we've been on kind of a time crunch, and I didn't want to risk her getting delayed.

Maybe the next time, we'll let her ride it.

I am very late catching up, and don't read all the comments, but I would like to say that if there are 3 other fiends who want to walk across that newly painted cross walk, I will do it but only if I am allowed to do it without shoes on in order to stimulate some rumors about my death.

Deal.

Wait.

Only one of the Muppets has his shoes on- the rest are barefoot:

muppetsabbeyroadshirt_zps2c29969e.jpg

Are you talking about some other famous photo?

Paul is dead.

Ok remember I'm from Vermont when asking this question :)

Are alligators and snakes  at the Fort?  I hate hate hate  snakes...

Any body else hate snakes and camp at the fort?  

Alligators?

Snakes?

If you're worried about alligators, do not read the next update.

You're at Disney. It's all animatronics.

Really?

I never knew that!

What about the bats that are going to live in the BABH?

Are they going to be robots too?

even the armadillos?

Good question.

I didn't see any armadillos last September. Bobby told me they pulled them all to replace them with the new version 5.4.2 animatronics.

I thought Bobby orders all the armadillos into protective custody when you visit the Fort.

Aren't you the one who calls them "Possum on the Half-Shell?"

Is it true that Josie is actually an animatronic?  She doesn't age, so I'm beginning to wonder.  

You might be on to something here.

Jason was nearly carried away by an armadillo in April. Those things are SUPER lifelike. 

I don't remember hearing about this.

This incident didn't happen after y'all got your money's worth on the "free" beer and wine at the Backyard BBQ, did it?

TCD

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, leave Beckers alone, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's my new favorite Fiend.

I have seen them training docking at the Fort. That provided one of the best photos I've ever taken    

I love Agents of Shield. It's really the only show we watch as a family. They are getting ready to start a 7 episode run to the season finale this week! Can't wait! Off topic but my 10 year old dd is

The Sunday of Thanksgiving week we had FP+ for the 2nd show of Fantasmic (8 pm I think). I had read elsewhere to get there earlier than the time so we go there 15 min before the FP+ time. We passed the waiting standby line  to a set of MB readers where we were about 10 people back. They let us through before the standby line, but we were of course slowed down by people's inability to scan their MB in a timely and orderly manner. We  got to seats in the middle center, about 15 or so rows back. My DS and I headed back to the vendor stands so he could get a churro and we were swimming upstream through the standby line minions who were coming in. We had to walk behind a CM pushing a cart to get through. But after we got our churro there weren't many people coming in and there were still plenty of seats left even in our row  by the time the show started. So in theory FP+ may work better for the second show when it's crowded. But  one has to get to the line even before the FP+ time so still not that great an experience.  This was before tiers so we did have RnR and TSm FP+s also. 

The Sunday of Thanksgiving week we had FP+ for the 2nd show of Fantasmic (8 pm I think). I had read elsewhere to get there earlier than the time so we go there 15 min before the FP+ time. We passed the waiting standby line  to a set of MB readers where we were about 10 people back. They let us through before the standby line, but we were of course slowed down by people's inability to scan their MB in a timely and orderly manner. We  got to seats in the middle center, about 15 or so rows back. My DS and I headed back to the vendor stands so he could get a churro and we were swimming upstream through the standby line minions who were coming in. We had to walk behind a CM pushing a cart to get through. But after we got our churro there weren't many people coming in and there were still plenty of seats left even in our row  by the time the show started. So in theory FP+ may work better for the second show when it's crowded. But  one has to get to the line even before the FP+ time so still not that great an experience.  This was before tiers so we did have RnR and TSm FP+s also. 

So, did they start scanning the Magic Bands and letting guests in before the FP+ return time?  If so, this is totally contrary to what they do at every other attraction.  And, if you have to line-up early anyway, what's the advantage?

It also sounds like there may have been reserved FP+ seating in the center section.  According to what Devores posted, and what we experienced, there is no FP+ reserved seating anymore.

Before they instituted the tiers, I imagine there were many more guests reserving FP+'s for Fantasmic.  Now, it's probably just the default and only available choice once all of the FP+'s for the good rides are gone.

TCD

I'm not sure I can drag this out until May.  I am getting near the end of this trip.  I might need to schedule a bonus day trip.

Ok, get to planning some bonus fun please. If this TR could last until the first of May that would be great. Actually, end of April would suffice as I'm sure the week leading up to our departure is going to be hectic and might have to actually work while at the office instead or reading FF.net.

Alright, it's starting to smell fishy.

First a ninja like score on Buzz

Then, a rather anemic follow up score

And finally, you claim that due to ride problems, score not available.

I'm concerned that lack of sleep (or eating salad out of a pop up) are eroding your skills.

I hope redemption is forthcoming in an upcoming installment

Btw, that was a righteous "groupie" pic at fantasmic. Having a cool memory like that, should make up for the daily intrusion that cell phones make on our daily lives. I can't imagine my dad be able to snap a selfie with his old Minolta slr.

My plan has just gotten better.  Get rid of Fantasmic, and enjoy shorter lines in the parks.

But if you get rid of fantasmic that draws big crowds won't the big crowds be in the park making the other lines longer?

What am I missing?

I believe what you're missing is the diabolical part of DIT's plan.  I believe he intends to blow up the theater during a show.  That would certainly reduce wait times, no?

Ok, get to planning some bonus fun please. If this TR could last until the first of May that would be great. Actually, end of April would suffice as I'm sure the week leading up to our departure is going to be hectic and might have to actually work while at the office instead or reading FF.net.

I'll do what I can.

But if I do, you had better get your priorities straight and read it, and not be wasting your time at work actually working.

Alright, it's starting to smell fishy.

First a ninja like score on Buzz

Then, a rather anemic follow up score

And finally, you claim that due to ride problems, score not available.

I'm concerned that lack of sleep (or eating salad out of a pop up) are eroding your skills.

I hope redemption is forthcoming in an upcoming installment

Btw, that was a righteous "groupie" pic at fantasmic. Having a cool memory like that, should make up for the daily intrusion that cell phones make on our daily lives. I can't imagine my dad be able to snap a selfie with his old Minolta slr.

You are an astute reader.  I told you that there would be redemption with respect to my Toy Story Midway Mania score.  And redemption there shall be.  But, we are going in chronological order here, so please be patient.  I think you will find the wait to be worth it.

That photo I took was a selfie. I am aware that there are young folks calling photos like that groupies.  But, I'm not in that camp.  It's a selfie.

Which reminds me, I don't think I ever shared the fact that I invented the selfie.  I'll have to find the photographic evidence I have to back that claim.

TCD

Time to move on.

We finished off with another late night at the MK.

It was awesome being in Site 114.  A lot of time when you get back late from the MK, the evil Fort managers have soaked all the golf carts with the sprinklers they have set up around the Settlement.  But, we could just walk back to the site.

Saturday night was the night we had to spring forward.

Daylight Savings Time began at 2 am.

Which suddenly became 3 am.

So, when I woke up at around 7 (new time), it was still pitch-black outside.  If you remember, it was just the day before that I had taken the photos and video on the Fort marina dock showing the first resort boat arriving at 6:45.  And it was light.  This morning, it was dark.

Since it was dark anyway, I slept in today.

Didn't get up until around 8.  Which felt like 7 to me.  I am not a big fan of losing an hour.

Still, it was a beautiful morning.

The first photo of the day from the picnic table, looking toward Pioneer Hall:

3614434_zps3b1283ec.jpg

It was cool that I could actually see Pioneer Hall from the back of my campsite.  Not very well, I will admit, but I could see it.  Look through the tree tops in this photo, and you can see the top of Pioneer Hall in this photo:

3614435_zps53104641.jpg

We had big lunch plans today which involved a reservation, and had no plans until then, so I let the girls sleep a bit.

Which meant that I had time to bring a cup of coffee out to my favorite spot:

3614436_zps4da06b00.jpg

A closer look:

3614437_zpsa11a520b.jpg

It's just 8:25 am, but there's already a lot happening out there on Bay Lake- there's an MK boat, a resort boat, and also notice that the crane is up and getting ready to ruin the castle photos of the thousands of guests about to be streaming in to the Magic Kingdom:

3614438_zpsa76edb3d.jpg

It was another cool morning, but not as cool as the day before.  Which meant less steam on Bay Lake:

3614439_zps658d12de.jpg

It is getting harder and harder to see the old cabin across the canal, but it's still there.  Rotting away:

3614440_zpsaacecd6e.jpg

This was the third morning of our trip, and this is the third photo I took of the BABH early in the morning:

3614441_zpsf6fb6930.jpg

With the time change, the sun rose an hour later than it had on the previous mornings.  Still, I missed it rising above the trees.  But, this photo came out pretty cool.  Note how the sun is reflecting off the canal water and mist:

3614442_zps83c24ea8.jpg

The canal was misty, but not as much as it had been the day before.  Once again, if I don't zoom, you can't even see the towers of the Four Seasons resort ruining this vista:

3614443_zps644d446a.jpg

In person, however, you can't miss the awful towers intruding:

fourseasonstowers_zps42d7c78f.jpg

Once the sun clears those trees, that mist will be gone, and it promised to be the warmest day of our trip so far:

3614444_zps6966e4d4.jpg

This futuristic El Camino was parked at the site next to the path leading out of the 300 loop, but I never took a photo of it until this morning.  I haven't seen very many of these around:

3614445_zps2be666f9.jpg

I took a little tour of the Fort.  I briefly thought about doing some railroad spike hunting.  Normally, this is a good time of year to head back in the swamp because the cold weather kills off some of the plant life.  We had a lot of cool weather,  but no real freezes this year.  Which means the plant life is doing fine.  This is a place that I will sometimes use to begin a hunt.  Looked pretty impenetrable this morning:

3614446_zps99d5f3e6.jpg

3614447_zps0e781440.jpg

I decided that today would be a good day to take a video from the Meadow Trading Post porch, so I parked on the Bike Barn side and walked over.  I spied a trespasser on Bob's dock:

3614448_zpsc5de77a1.jpg

I told the trespasser to move along, and then checked on the rocking chair situation on the front porch.  There was a good crop today:

3614449_zps27ae9acf.jpg

The view from there- that's the 900/1000 bus stop across the way:

3614450_zps85845040.jpg

Here's a one minute video taken from that spot (turn it up to hear the music and birds chirping) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeC9qKQb1f0&feature=youtu.be

That music is much livelier than the Christmas soundtrack we heard in my previous Meadow Trading Post Front Porch video.

After that, I had to check and see if the trespasser had moved on.

But first, here's a shot of the blue sky from the back porch.  You can also see three fishermen across the way:

3614452_zpsb0d86fec.jpg

That ding-dong was still on Bob's dock.  I guess he thought I was kidding.  Which meant I had to go and take his fishing pole and break it over my knee, and throw it in:

3614453_zpsbaeac4ba.jpg

Then, he understood.

From there, it was back to the site.  I made a batch of breakfast sandwiches.  Sausage, egg and cheese on English muffins.  

The girls hit the showers, and I hung around camp.

Look at this beautiful nature scene, which happened right at our site:

3614454_zps6038d1bb.jpg

3614455_zpsa314ba88.jpg

Awesome.

While waiting for the twins, I took my oldest daughter out for a ride to see the BABH.  She hadn't seen it yet.  While there, I noticed something along the canal bank.

And, that was when I realized that I had broken one of my important Fort rules:  Always have you camera handy.  I was charging the battery on the camera.

But, I had my phone.

So, I hopped off the cart and got this shot:

gatorcanal_zps1f48fe0a.jpg

That's the best alligator photo I've ever taken at the Fort.

What I missed, though, was the growling and hissing this fellow did as I got closer to take his photo.  I should have videoed it.

If any of you think I'm lying about the gator, this is the same one that Grumpy Dave also saw:

Looks like all the work is done.

muvu3ava.jpg

sa6ynuza.jpg

And one of the locals is happy that the workers are finally gone.

ahyqyjy9.jpg

Seeing that gator was cool.

But that wasn't the coolest wildlife encounter I had that morning.

Nope.

Right before it was time to go, I headed out the back of the site to buy some ice from the Settlement Trading Post.

Just as I stepped on to the pavement, a huge bird flew right in front of me.

It soared by, and through the opening of the trees on either side of the pedestrian path.

I couldn't believe what I had just seen.

My neighbor was sitting out on her porch and she saw it too.

She asked me first:  "Was that a bald eagle?"

Indeed it was!

It happened way too fast for me to get a photo.

I walked down the path a bit to see if perhaps it had landed in a tree along the way.

But, I didn't see it again.

That's the first time I ever saw a bald eagle at the Fort.

And something that I will never forget.

That was an eventful morning.

Which set the stage nicely for an eventful afternoon.

And evening.

Next up, we will be heading to the MK for a first time lunch experience.

I almost forgot- I did get the ice from the trading post. It costs $2.75 for a 10 lb. bag.  You can still get a similar size bag (although they say 8 lbs.) from the dispensers at the comfort stations for $2.00.  It was easier for me to get the ice from the trading post, and it was frozen solid, not already starting to melt like the comfort station ice.

TCD

I'm not sure I can drag this out until May.  I am getting near the end of this trip.  I might need to schedule a bonus day trip. You definitely need to go after they open the Mine Train Ride!  Even if it is just for a day trip.  

My kids like it.

But, they grew up with the movies that are featured in the show. Which movies are these?  I love to watch classic Disney with my kids. :)

Since I have never heard any reports of giant armadillos attempting to carry full grown men away, I am recommending that you keep Jason away from the "free" sangria for any future Backyard BBQ visits.

TCD

Sangria?  Now you are making my mouth water!  :wine:

Another good reason to stay away from the area of the BABH!

Congrats on the bald eagle sighting.

I'm curious about where you had reservations for somewhere you've never eaten in the MK.  I assume you took the girls to CRT when they were young, also to Crystal Place.  You've eaten at BOG.  I think I remember you like CHH.  My guesses:

1.  Plaza

2.  LTT

3.  Tony's

So, did they start scanning the Magic Bands and letting guests in before the FP+ return time?  If so, this is totally contrary to what they do at every other attraction.  And, if you have to line-up early anyway, what's the advantage?

It also sounds like there may have been reserved FP+ seating in the center section.  According to what Devores posted, and what we experienced, there is no FP+ reserved seating anymore.

No reserved seating, we could have taken any seat except the rows reserved for the dining package.

If I'm remembering correctly, they started letting through the MB readers at the beginning of the FP+ time and I'd say about 10 minutes later they started letting the standby line through. So if one showed up still during the 30 min. FP+ time period but not at the beginning of  it, they would be entering after the standby line people, although maybe through quicker than getting in the standby line at that point if the standby line was long. 

Several years ago I was standing at the geyser at WL next to another guy. We both had our cameras ready for a shot of the geyser when a bald eagle swooped down and snagged a fish out of the lake. We were both stunned. The guy asked me if I got a shot of that, and I said no, did you? Nope. Both of us had cameras and neither of us got the shot.

You definitely need to go after they open the Mine Train Ride! Even if it is just for a day trip.

That's true.

And, some time soon, I expect to catch wind of soft openings. The twins are on alert/stand-by.

Which movies are these? I love to watch classic Disney with my kids.

There's no way I can list them all, but there is a heavy use of scenes/songs from Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Lion King and Pocahontas. I know there are also some images from Aladdin and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. There also used to be some Hercules references, including Meg and Hercules on the boat in the end, but I think these two got the boot in the last year.

Sangria?  Now you are making my mouth water!  :wine:

If the sangria at the Backyard BBQ is anything like the swill they serve at the Hoop Dee Doo, just say no.

Another good reason to stay away from the area of the BABH!

Congrats on the bald eagle siting.

I'm curious about where you had reservations for somewhere you've never eaten in the MK.  I assume you took the girls to CRT when they were young, also to Crystal Place.  You've eaten at BOG.  I think I remember you like CHH.  My guesses:

1.  Plaza

2.  LTT

3.  Tony's

I worded the hint about where we are going for lunch very cleverly- you will need to go back and re-read.  I didn't say it was the first time we had gone there.

For the record, we have dined at Liberty Tree Tavern and Tony's.  But, we still have never been to the Plaza.  I'm game. But every time I bring it up to the girls, they suggest something else.

And not only have we eaten at Cinderella's Royal Table, we have also eaten at King Stefan's Banquet Hall, as it formerly was known.  But, we have never eaten at the Crystal Palace.

No reserved seating, we could have taken any seat except the rows reserved for the dining package.

If I'm remembering correctly, they started letting through the MB readers at the beginning of the FP+ time and I'd say about 10 minutes later they started letting the standby line through. So if one showed up still during the 30 min. FP+ time period but not at the beginning of  it, they would be entering after the standby line people, although maybe through quicker than getting in the standby line at that point if the standby line was long.

Thanks for explaining that.  They may have been doing the same thing then when we were there.  We didn't start walking in until a couple of minutes after our return time began.  It's a bit of a walk before you get to that bank of scanners.  When we got there, standby people were being let in, and the center sections were already full.  Maybe it would have been different if we showed up before our return time and got in line.

No sandwich pictures?

That gators looks to be a pretty good size. You are brave.

Very cool seeing an eagle! I didn't know they live in Florida. The only time I hear about them in GA is in the mountains.

No, no sandwich pictures.  I was charging the camera at that point.

That was a little gator.  Before I knew any better, I used to get pretty close to much larger ones.  I am not brave.  I'm stupid.

There are a lot of bald eagles in Florida.  I live in the most densely populated county in Florida, and we have a lot of eagles right here.

Several years ago I was standing at the geyser at WL next to another guy. We both had our cameras ready for a shot of the geyser when a bald eagle swooped down and snagged a fish out of the lake. We were both stunned. The guy asked me if I got a shot of that, and I said no, did you? Nope. Both of us had cameras and neither of us got the shot.

Very cool.

That's how my eagle encounter was. I also have a witness. And it was also one of those events that happened so quickly that it was over before there was time to react.

I have heard tell that there's an eagle's nest somewhere in the Fort.  But, I've never been able to find it.

Go Gata.

That was the caption I gave to my gator photo on my private Instagram account. That generated about four likes. Which is a 67% approval rating.

TCD

I worded the hint about where we are going for lunch very cleverly- you will need to go back and re-read.  I didn't say it was the first time we had gone there.

For the record, we have dined at Liberty Tree Tavern and Tony's.  But, we still have never been to the Plaza.  I'm game. But every time I bring it up to the girls, they suggest something else.

And not only have we eaten at Cinderella's Royal Table, we have also eaten at King Stefan's Banquet Hall, as it formerly was known.  But, we have never eaten at the Crystal Palace.

TCD

You had BOG FP+ where you preorder your food and just show up and eat. That's my guess.