• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They can work the system though.  Last New Years Eve we had reservations at the Wave for lunch.  On December 30th, I checked MyDisneyExperience and noticed that my reservation was gone. I then got my

Wow, 1-4 sound like things I would complain about.  I thought rich people loved valet parking, paying $5 for a Diet Coke ("in a metal bottle" -- is that also known as a can?), avoiding public transpor

The wow factor is at checkout.

I sometimes wonder if Disney secretly let them build this knowing it is going to fail because it is not a Disney Resort.  Then Disney can buy it for a song and have a 5 star hotel that would probably be successful since they would get all the Disney perks at that time.   Time will only tell if the Four Seasons can last Four Seasons....  :rofl3:

I sometimes wonder if Disney secretly let them build this knowing it is going to fail because it is not a Disney Resort.  Then Disney can buy it for a song and have a 5 star hotel that would probably be successful since they would get all the Disney perks at that time.   Time will only tell if the Four Seasons can last Four Seasons....  :rofl3:

Wow John, that's quite a theory.

You're giving the incompetent idiot managers at Disney way too much credit.

A few questions:

There are a number of 5 star resorts not that far from WDW, how do you explain their success, assuming they are successful, and a resort on WDW's borders wouldn't be?

Four Seasons Holdings Inc. appears to be a successful company, are you saying that the people that manage and own it, would build this resort not having done extensive market research and studies?

Do you feel that the guests that will frequent the resort consider the perks in question important?

Disney could have a 5 Star resort if they really wanted it, but their business model and targeted demographics doesn't lend itself to a 5 Star resort.

At this time, I don't think Disney cares if there's a Disney owned 5 Star resort at WDW.

I have to believe that considering who owns and will manage it, the Four Seasons will succeed.

Unlike the bumbling idiots that manage the WDW resorts, and I haven't met one that isn't yet, Four Seasons management knows what they're doing.

Yeah Lou...   we do say that Disney has idiot managers and everything else.  But Disney still makes approximately 11 billion dollars.  Say what you want about management, but someone knows what the hell they're doing.  Someone at Disney knows how to make money and plan for it.  Heck if it was easy, then GM would be at $87 a share.   

My post reflected my doubts that a high end price point resort was needed and you agree on some level.  Couple that with the fact that they have no extra Disney benefits such as magic hours, dining reservations, park transportation etc... and it becomes an issue to compete with Disney. Especially when you live in the legal jurisdiction that they created and control (ie Reedy Creek).

Four Seasons does about 3.5 billion a year and they rarely own the properties with their names on it.   They took a gamble but at the same time, they are within the mystical lines of Reedy Creek.  If they don't succeed or meet their goals,  they have to know that Disney will buy their land back within the RC Development area.   It's not that Four Season is going to fail and then just sell out to Red Roof.   Considering how Disney has protected their land,  the rumors of Walt's family being behind the sale and development of that area make sense on some levels.   

As far as a 5 star resort being successful and profitable at Disney,   until Disney tries to enter the 5 star world, it is just speculation like my posting.   I think that to be successful at that price point they would have to have some incredible perks from Disney.  I believe the adage, "Build it and they will come" may apply, but you're going to need to have some serious Disney magic.  

Time will tell...   I hope your right and I'm sure the the investors are praying you're right.....

we do say that Disney has idiot managers and everything else.  But Disney still makes approximately 11 billion dollars.  Say what you want about management, but someone knows what the hell they're doing.  Someone at Disney knows how to make money and plan for it. 

Absolutely, someone at Disney does know what they're doing, it's the Sales and Marketing departments.

I can tell you that after an 18 non-continuous history at WDW, and after being an engineering management consultant and designer for 28 years, I can tell a good manger from a idiot manager and Disney is loaded with them at the middle management level. The Peter Principle runs amuck at WDW. It's a revolving door that never stops spinning.

I've had 8 positions at WDW and except for the bus driving job, they averaged about 6 months each. In every case the manager I had at the beginning was not the manager I had when I left.

Even in bus transportation, I outlasted the top dog. He arrived after me and left to run Epcot before I left to work at Epcot.

He screwed things up in buses and got promoted to manage all of Epcot. He has zero experience in theme park management.

Are those RVs I see at around 3:14 of the video?

No, that's the bridge at the golf course. 1800 is well behind those vehicles.

ETA: that truck is about 1/3 of the distance from the abomination to 1800, so even if they can see campers (at night, most likely, especially at Christmas and Halloween!) it will not be much of their view. But, if it proves a nuisance, I would think a 10' green privacy fence near the canal facing sites would snuff out the redneck stain.

I am hearing that the four seasons has stopped offering transportation to the parks.  I've been looking at their website and I can't find any of the previously mentioned information you've shared.    Just curious if what I heard is accurate.

The free transportation is still on their website. The quote below is from a very reliable and accurate WDW source. 

"The buses are being run by Mears, so they will be stopping at TTC & the other parks in the same area of the charter bus lots as the DTD resort buses"

The free transportation is still on their website. The quote below is from a very reliable and accurate WDW source. 

"The buses are being run by Mears, so they will be stopping at TTC & the other parks in the same area of the charter bus lots as the DTD resort buses"

I am behind on my trip reporting, but the TCD gang paid a one night visit to WDW this past weekend.  We stayed in Port Orleans French Quarter, which meant when we took the MK bus, we went by the Golden Oaks/Four Seasons entrance.

These big white vans were coming and going out of there almost constantly:

8214059_zps020224a7.jpg

Do you think those are for guests?  I thought maybe an employee shuttle, so they don't have the help driving around Golden Oaks.  But, where would they have the help park?

And here is the first photo of a Four Seasons bus I've seen posted on the Internet.  I herby claim Four Seasons Bus Photo Bragging Rights:

8214060_zpse9732b87.jpg

TCD

Thanks to the graciousness of my former employer that I retired from, I was privileged to stay at more than one Four Seasons.  They do have incredible hotels with impeccable service.  

But would I stay at a Four Seasons over a Disney resort?  No way!

Acknowledged, brag away.

Maybe the white bus is transportation to non-attraction and off property locations?

Maybe those are the "private cars" they mention on their site.  There were a lot of the white ones, and they were coming and going every time we drove by.  I wonder how the Golden Oaks folks are going to like all that traffic?

Thanks to the graciousness of my former employer that I retired from, I was privileged to stay at more than one Four Seasons.  They do have incredible hotels with impeccable service. 

But would I stay at a Four Seasons over a Disney resort?  No way!

I agree.  I stayed at the Four Seasons in downtown Philadelphia once, and it was fantastic.

But, at Disney World?  And not get the same perks as Disney Resort guests?  Good luck with that.

TCD

I wonder how the Golden Oaks folks are going to like all that traffic

If I spent that much money on a house, I would be pretty ticked off to have that much traffic going by on a daily basis.

Yeah, I feel so bad for them.

I would imagine that if it's a visual or noise nuisance and if there isn't one in the plans, they'll put up an 8' high brick wall to keep you riff-raff out.

Heck, my neighborhood has one and it's like a slum compared to those homes.

Yeah, I feel so bad for them.

I would imagine that if it's a visual or noise nuisance and if there isn't one in the plans, they'll put up an 8' high brick wall to keep you riff-raff out.

Heck, my neighborhood has one and it's like a slum compared to those homes.

Yeah, and I don't think anyone is actually going to live in those houses anyway.  Those will be 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever houses to compliment the mountain home, the beach home, etc. for the ultra rich who buy there.  I don't think anyone is going to be bothered by the traffic.

TCD