A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

Wow about all that roommate drama!  That sounds like a tough situation.  I'm glad that Twin #2 isn't sharing a room with the new girl.  Based on what she told her roommate, I bet she's not there too much longer.

Love hearing all about the CP, even the stuff that's not as much fun for the participants.  Your girls have such great attitudes that they seem to take about everything in stride.

Thanks, Leslie.

As expected, the roommate drama is settling down, as Twin #2's apartment adjusts to the new girl.  I think it's going to be OK.

The new beef is that the management company for some reason has blocked access to Facebook over the apartment internet system.  So, no one in the entire complex can access it.  There may be a good reason for this, but it is causing big problems for everyone at the moment, as there are many groups on Facebook where CM's trade shifts and that type of thing.

Twin #1's reference to it being like living in a jail is becoming more and more true.

I'm up to page 30, get a few pages read every day. 

Your TRs are so full of info and fun even if they are months (or years ) old still worth the reading.

My godson and his girlfriend were at the 24 hour MK party.  Didn't see him in any of your photos but sent the TR on to him, maybe he can see himself.  Think he was dressed as Baloo (sp).

Wondering if the 40% cast discount at TE breakfast is still in effect.

Reading a TR after it's finished is like 'finding' the Harry Potter books and being able to read them all straight through.  Not having the anticipation of waiting for the next book or installment of a TR to come out is missing.  But reading them ...is still fun.

Good job, you're over half-way through!

I believe that the 40% off TE breakfast deal is still in effect.

Ha, ha, yes, we went to the fort just for those National Park t-shirts!! Normally we go to the fort and rent bikes and spend the day when we are staying at another resort, but we have reservations to stay in the cabins for a week in Jan. so I figured on this trip, we would just skip the fort. Its all good though! I LOVE the fort and there is NOTHING like walking into the Trading Post, taking a deep breath and looking around!

Thanks for the link, I will check it out!

So sorry to read about the roommate drama.......UGH!! My biggest worry for my boys going to college was who they would get for a roommate and if they would be nice!! Luckily it has worked out fine for my guys. I hope that this girl doesn't cause any further problems and at LEAST starts to clean up after herself!!! Best of luck to your daughter!

Heidi

As you probably already know, roommate drama is inevitable.  You just have to hope that it's minor drama.  We had some major drama with our oldest, and I think that has helped the twins have more realistic expectations with their roommates, both at their colleges and now at Disney.

Speaking of Trading Posts, I have some news in that regard, which I will share in a new update in just a bit.

TCD

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Working in the merchandise department was not Twin #2's first choice of assignments for the College Program.  But several people, including our own Devores, have shared with me that this is one of the best assignments, because merchandise CM's can work anywhere in the parks and resorts.  Twin #2 has enjoyed this aspect of her role, and has picked-up shifts at lots of different places.  From what I understand, there is a place on the WDW Hub computer system where shift availability is advertised, and CM's can volunteer to work those shifts.  Both TCD twins desperately want to work at some of the Halloween parties, so they have been checking regularly for opportunities to do that.

Last week, while looking for Halloween party shifts, Twin #2 spotted something else.  They were looking for someone to work a merchandise shift at the Fort!

She jumped on it.

So, yesterday afternoon, Twin #2 used her CM ID card to drive through the back gate of the Fort and report to duty at the Cast Services building backstage.  She was issued this costume:

Tradingpostcostumeedited_zps5396c7d3.jpg

Then she was taken by van to the Settlement Trading Post, where she reported for duty.

They had her work there a bit, and then sent her over to work the little gift kiosk across from Pioneer Hall.  You know, the one that sells raccoon hats and other essentials to the HDDR guests?

At the end of her shift, she reported back to the Settlement Trading Post, where they asked her to drive one of the CM golf carts back to the Cast Services building.

And, she got paid to do it!

Could this new era possibly get any better than that?

In other news, guess who just picked up her costume to be a candy passer-outer at an upcoming Halloween party?

If you guessed Twin #1, you're right:

mnsshpcmcostume_zps39c41bee.jpeg

The TCD twins are living the dream.

TCD

Working in the merchandise department was not Twin #2's first choice of assignments for the College Program.  But several people, including our own Devores, have shared with me that this is one of the best assignments, because merchandise CM's can work anywhere in the parks and resorts.  Twin #2 has enjoyed this aspect of her role, and has picked-up shifts at lots of different places.  From what I understand, there is a place on the WDW Hub computer system where shift availability is advertised, and CM's can volunteer to work those shifts.  Both TCD twins desperately want to work at some of the Halloween parties, so they have been checking regularly for opportunities to do that.

Last week, while looking for Halloween party shifts, Twin #2 spotted something else.  They were looking for someone to work a merchandise shift at the Fort!

She jumped on it.

So, yesterday afternoon, Twin #2 used her CM ID card to drive through the back gate of the Fort and report to duty at the Cast Services building backstage.  She was issued this costume:

Tradingpostcostumeedited_zps5396c7d3.jpg

Then she was taken by van to the Settlement Trading Post, where she reported for duty.

They had her work there a bit, and then sent her over to work the little gift kiosk across from Pioneer Hall.  You know, the one that sells raccoon hats and other essentials to the HDDR guests?

At the end of her shift, she reported back to the Settlement Trading Post, where they asked her to drive one of the CM golf carts back to the Cast Services building.

And, she got paid to do it!

Could this new era possibly get any better than that?

In other news, guess who just picked up her costume to be a candy passer-outer at an upcoming Halloween party?

If you guessed Twin #1, you're right:

mnsshpcmcostume_zps39c41bee.jpeg

TCD

Wow that's great for them!!

Love the pics, I wish I looked that excited when going to work.

Congrats to them both on living the Disney Dream and to you for getting their discounts!

WBI

No kidding!  I want to be living that dream - for ME!  Ray and I talk all the time about bailing on our jobs when both girls are out of the house (and we're halfway there now!), moving to Orlando and getting jobs at WDW.  I know that reality would undoubtedly be far different than my fantasy on that, but we're still really thinking about it.

OK, does costuming work different for CP folks than others? I thought costuming was in a totally different location, and you had certain days to pick up and turn in a few days worth of costumes.

It sounds like she went to the Fort, picked up a costume, went to her role, then turned it in after her shift? (Which, I believe is how it used to be done).

OK, does costuming work different for CP folks than others?

No

I thought costuming was in a totally different location

Resort costumes are at the resorts, attraction costumes are at or near the attraction, sometimes at multiple locations. Positions that are property wide like bus drivers and convention guides, are at multiple locations.

and you had certain days to pick up and turn in a few days worth of costumes.

As long as the costume location is open, you can pick up and drop off some or all the costumes you have.

Some CMs, me for instance, keep their costumes and don't turn them in. That means that I have to wash and iron them. For me, it's still easier than turning them in and having to select and check out a new batch every week.

It sounds like she went to the Fort, picked up a costume, went to her role, then turned it in after her shift?

That's correct. If the Fort was her regular location or if she new that she was going to work there more than one day, she could have worn it home and turned them in after she was done with that location.

Which, I believe is how it used to be done.

And still is by some CMs.

Sorry to hear about all the roommate drama.  We went through that with our daughter too.

But it's great that they are both getting some of the positions they really want.

As long as there are roommates, there will be roommate drama.  Especially with girls.

It is great that they got good roles, and that they've been able to do some extra things.  It seems like it isn't hard to excel in the Disney College Program, as most of the participants are more interested in having fun than advancing.

Wow that's great for them!!

Love the pics, I wish I looked that excited when going to work.

Congrats to them both on living the Disney Dream and to you for getting their discounts!

WBI

Nick, there probably was a time, long ago, that you were excited to go to work.

Lucky girls!!!!

True.

Finally!   A CM at the trading post that knows something about the Fort.   That is so cool.

Getting to work a party as a candy giver outer   way cool.    

Yes, the regular CM's she met there were impressed by that.

She also found out a secret about the Settlement Trading Post that none of us had ever heard of.  I need to get some photos and some more information about that secret before I can reveal it.

Very cool! I'll have to look for her on our next trip

You'll have to look hard. These girls are constantly on the move.

No kidding!  I want to be living that dream - for ME!  Ray and I talk all the time about bailing on our jobs when both girls are out of the house (and we're halfway there now!), moving to Orlando and getting jobs at WDW.  I know that reality would undoubtedly be far different than my fantasy on that, but we're still really thinking about it.

I know.  We talked about that on the Trail's End porch.

The girls have experienced a few things that are not so magical, but overall, they still both love working there a lot.  I think there are a lot more positive, genuinely nice people who work as CM's than you find anywhere out in the real world.

OK, does costuming work different for CP folks than others? I thought costuming was in a totally different location, and you had certain days to pick up and turn in a few days worth of costumes.

It sounds like she went to the Fort, picked up a costume, went to her role, then turned it in after her shift? (Which, I believe is how it used to be done).

I think that is what happened with the Fort merchandise shift.  They have a Cast Services building there, and that is where she reported to get her costume and get dressed.   For other places she has worked (like in the Frozen Oaken's Trading Post at DHS), she has to go and pick her costume up somewhere, and wear it or bring it with her to work.

OK, does costuming work different for CP folks than others?

No

I thought costuming was in a totally different location

Resort costumes are at the resorts, attraction costumes are at or near the attraction, sometimes at multiple locations. Positions that are property wide like bus drivers and convention guides, are at multiple locations.

and you had certain days to pick up and turn in a few days worth of costumes.

As long as the costume location is open, you can pick up and drop off some or all the costumes you have.

Some CMs, me for instance, keep their costumes and don't turn them in. That means that I have to wash and iron them. For me, it's still easier than turning them in and having to select and check out a new batch every week.

It sounds like she went to the Fort, picked up a costume, went to her role, then turned it in after her shift?

That's correct. If the Fort was her regular location or if she new that she was going to work there more than one day, she could have worn it home and turned them in after she was done with that location.

Which, I believe is how it used to be done.

And still is by some CMs.

As far as I can tell, Lou got all of this right.

I don't know the exact details.  The girls get a little testy with me when I start asking too many questions.  Like, it really isn't something that I need to know.

Beautiful girls!

Thanks. It's true.  Both inside and out.

TCD

AHA!  Up to page 41 and post #815 which starts another section of this epic TR.

Wanted to tell you about my experiences as a CM back in the late 70s.

I worked in the Central Food Facility Bakery.  It was located in the Central Food Facility building which is across the street from the 'round' house.

The building is still there but is being used as a storage area for Christmas decorations, at least that is what I've been told.

We made turnovers, cherry and apple, for the MK. ( That was the only park at that time.)  Also pies, cakes, breads and rolls, cookies lots of other stuff too for MK and the hotels, Contemporary and the Poly.  Also decorated Birthday cakes for hotels.

We had to change our costumes daily and used the costume dept. located in the tunnel under MK.  We could get in big trouble if we wore a costume home.  I didn't mind letting someone else wash mine, they always had cherry pie filling and various other food on them.  Much easier for the big laundry to get them clean.  We were not on the clock as we usually changed the costumes during our lunch break.  (Thinking back...not easy....we probably got more than one uniform at a time, just were not allowed to take them off property)  I say this because sometimes we ate in the cast restaurant located in the Center Building.  Those were days we didn't need to change costumes.  Center Building is now called something else...crappy memory :(

Speaking of lunch, we who worked in foods, got a voucher worth $1.50 to use for our meal.  Doesn't sound like much nowadays but I could get a very filling meal back then in the  cast dining room and still sneak an apple to eat on the way home. 

OK back to reading :)

AHA!  Up to page 41 and post #815 which starts another section of this epic TR.

Wanted to tell you about my experiences as a CM back in the late 70s.

I worked in the Central Food Facility Bakery.  It was located in the Central Food Facility building which is across the street from the 'round' house.

The building is still there but is being used as a storage area for Christmas decorations, at least that is what I've been told.

We made turnovers, cherry and apple, for the MK. ( That was the only park at that time.)  Also pies, cakes, breads and rolls, cookies lots of other stuff too for MK and the hotels, Contemporary and the Poly.  Also decorated Birthday cakes for hotels.

We had to change our costumes daily and used the costume dept. located in the tunnel under MK.  We could get in big trouble if we wore a costume home.  I didn't mind letting someone else wash mine, they always had cherry pie filling and various other food on them.  Much easier for the big laundry to get them clean.  We were not on the clock as we usually changed the costumes during our lunch break.  (Thinking back...not easy....we probably got more than one uniform at a time, just were not allowed to take them off property)  I say this because sometimes we ate in the cast restaurant located in the Center Building.  Those were days we didn't need to change costumes.  Center Building is now called something else...crappy memory :(

Speaking of lunch, we who worked in foods, got a voucher worth $1.50 to use for our meal.  Doesn't sound like much nowadays but I could get a very filling meal back then in the  cast dining room and still sneak an apple to eat on the way home. 

OK back to reading :)

Very interesting.  Back in the late '70's you would be doing all that baking just for the MK, and the few resort hotels that existed then.  I guess that facility was too small to keep up once the other parks and all the other hotels opened.

Which begs the question:  where does all the baking take place now?  Where exactly do they make all of those cupcakes that are in all the parks and resorts? 

All caught up!

I love hearing about all of their new roles!

Glad you're caught up.

As, I am about to add some more bonus material.

TCD

As is true with every era, shining or not, there are good things and bad things about this new era.

One bad thing is that the TCD twins aren't living at home.  But, that has been true since they both started college over a year ago.  It's still hard to adjust to, though.

Thanks to the conveniences of modern technology, the TCD family does pretty well staying in touch.  A quick text or a social media post lets us know that the girls are alive, and what they're up to.

But, sometimes they call.

And, when my phone rings and it's an unexpected call from one of the girls, my heart always stops.  That's one of the bad things about the new era.

Late in the morning on Thursday, September 4, I got a call from Twin #2.  As soon as she said hello, I knew something was wrong.  She knew I'd be worried, so the first thing she said was that she was fine, but that she had been in a car accident.  In the CM lot for Hollywood Studios.  She had finished work and was driving down a row of the parking lot, minding her own business, when a fellow CM backed out without looking and ran right in to her.

The whole side of Twin #2's car got it.  And she lost her mirror on that side too.  Here's the damage:

mini1_zps3c2774eb.jpg

That doesn't look bad, but every surface on that side of the car got it.  That's a big repair.

There was something pressing on the front tire, so Twin #2 couldn't drive the car.  A tow truck came and took it to a body shop.  And then the fun began.  The other driver produced a mystery witness (who we later found was her boyfriend), who said he saw Twin #2  revving her engine and speeding down the aisle.  Anyone who knows Twin #2 would know that was a ridiculous thing for this fraudulent witness to say, as old ladies pass Twin #2 when she drives.  It took over a week, but the other driver's insurance company finally admitted liability.  Which I'm sure they would have done immediately if the other driver and her boyfriend hadn't concocted their story.

In the meantime, Twin #2 had no car, and at age 19, wasn't able to rent one.  While the other driver's insurance company was jerking me around, I went through my insurance, and was able to rent a car in my name with Twin #2 as an authorized driver.  Which gave her a car to drive.

Of course, the body shop didn't meet their original promised completion date.  It wasn't their fault, of course.  They had lots of good excuses. 

Finally, the call came, and they told me I could pick up the car on September 22.  That meant I had to go and check it, and also get the rental car returned.  I had hoped to do that over the preceding weekend, but it ended up that Monday was the day.  And, since it can never be easy, Twin #2 had to be at work by 8 am on Monday.  That meant I needed to get over to Orlando to meet up with her, take her to work in the rental car, take the car back to the Orlando airport, and get Twin #1 to pick me up there.  From there, we would go to the body shop, get Twin #2's car, and then maybe have some time after Twin #2 finished with work to visit a park and have some fun.  So that was kind of the plan.

I left home early, and was at Twin #2's Disney apartment by 7:15 am to meet her, and drive her to work in the rental car.  That all went fine.  Next was calling Twin #1 to wake her up and get her going for the ride to the airport.  But, then I got a call from the body shop.  They had one more thing to do, and the car wouldn't be ready until 4.  The body shop was on the way to the airport, but the rental was due back by noon.  That meant we might have to drive out that way twice now.  I decided to check on something that was discussed on a thread here last week- that is, whether I could drop the car off somewhere on Disney property instead of the airport.  The car was rented from Enterprise.  Google told me that they had an office at the B hotel near Downtown Disney.  Rather than try to explain this all to someone on the phone, I just went to that office.  The people there were great, and they let me drop the car there for no extra charge.  And, they had a free shuttle to the theme parks from there.  So, instead of calling Twin #1 to get her up to go to the airport and body shop, I texted her and told her to meet me in Epcot.  The Food and Wine Festival had just started over the weekend, and we were going to check it out.

I had never ridden on one of the Downtown Disney resort shuttles.  It was nice.  I don't think the bus drivers are Disney employees.  They have a tip basket in the bus with a sign saying that gratuities are accepted.  And, they had a TV on the bus, that played Stacy and her must do's.  Interesting.  Lucky for me the shuttle I caught must have been the last stop before heading to Epcot, as we went straight there.

And, here I am on the morning of September 22, heading to check out the Festival Center in the old Wonders of Life pavilion:

92214002_zps68a7dd53.jpg

Even thought the Wonders of Life pavilion has been closed for several years now, they keep it up, and it looks nice with the Food and Wine Festival flowers and signage:

92214003_zps3e2b0f7d.jpg

I remember last year that they had grape vines with bunches of grapes growing right outside the pavilion.  I thought the grapes were fake, but I wasn't sure.  This year, the vines are just starting to grow, and there are no grapes.  I am going to check back here later on, and see if things change:

92214004_zps12b20d1c.jpg

I didn't really have a good reason to visit the Festival Center, other than you can only get in to this pavilion during one of the festivals they have at Epcot.  And, that's not a good reason, since between the Food and Wine and Flower and Garden Festivals, it seems like there are Festivals for more than half the time Epcot is open.

Anyway, here we are at the entrance to the Festival Center:

92214005_zpsb303ccbc.jpg

That little booth straight ahead is where you can get maps as well as the little passports that list what's available at each of the food booths.  But, these are available at multiple other locations around the park.

In the way back of the Festival Center, there's a display sponsored by Ghiradelli chocolate, which is worth a look:

92214006_zps8894fe60.jpg

Those display cases you see in that photo have sculptures in them, and according to this sign, the sculptures are made from chocolate:

92214007_zps1185189d.jpg

OK, but they don't look very delicious. 

This is the Villains sculpture:

92214008_zps410ddcb3.jpg

This one is the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train:

92214009_zps1531afb3.jpg

Look at Dopey-hard to believe that's all chocolate:

92214010_zpsfecc5f9e.jpg

This one is Toy Story:

92214011_zpse9c14077.jpg

This one is a big Maleficent dragon:

92214012_zps2e20fabf.jpg

Here's something I never thought I'd ever see in a Disney park- a chocolate Avatar sculpture:

92214013_zpse2aac9b9.jpg

As I was taking a photo of the last sculpture, the CM who was supposed to be working at the counter in this room came over and asked me if I had noticed anything wrong with the Avatar sculpture.

We walked back to that one, and I told her that I had noticed that some of the letters had fallen down.  Then she said that ain't all.  She pointed out that this dragon's head had melted off:

92214015_zpsd0ae34bb.jpg

And the blue lady back there in the corner was falling over as she and her dragon were melting:

92214016_zpsbcaaeffa.jpg

I take this as a sign.

This is the last sculpture.  I didn't get a good photo of it, and I don't know what it's supposed to be.  That Avatar hater CM messed me up:

92214014_zps69666acd.jpg

The Avatar hater CM was supposed to be serving drinks at this counter, but things were kind of slow here in the Festival Center on this Monday morning:

92214017_zps83d8e7f3.jpg

Did you notice that drink they say is like a liquid candy bar?  I guess that's what's in the dispenser over there on the right?:

92214018_zpscedb6f7d.jpg

A liquid candy bar?

That doesn't sound bad.

I have a plan.

I need someone to come with me.  Stop in front of that Avatar sculpture and pretend you like it.  When the CM comes over to point out the flaws, I'll go behind the counter and put my mouth right on the spout of the liquid candy bar dispenser and flip the switch.  I'll bet I can drain it.

Another thing to do in the Festival Center is watch a free movie about winemaking.  I passed:

92214019_zps917e89fb.jpg

That theater there is where they used to have a film called "The Making of Me."  It was a Disney educational film.  I never saw it.  Way back I the day when it was open,  I didn't want to take my daughters in there until I had seen it first.  And, I never really felt like going to the trouble of seeing it. Too bad.  I'll bet it was unintentionally funny.  Certainly better than a winemaking movie.

There weren't any seminars going on this early, but they have a big area for educational seminars over there:

92214020_zpseca9bebc.jpg

And there's another big seminar area over here:

92214021_zps09a5669f.jpg

I forgot to mention something important about the Ghiradelli room.  They give you a small chocolate sample if you go in there.  It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I thought they used to have the samples set out in a basket.  Now, there's a CM there holding the basket, and it's strictly one per guest.  The samples are definitely smaller this year than they were last year, but anything for free at Disney is still a win:

92214022_zps487a6f02.jpg

Here's a schedule that lists the seminars that were scheduled for Monday in one of the seminar areas:

92214024_zps72586544.jpg

Do you know why these arches are here?:

92214025_zpsfa094f8a.jpg

That is the old entrance to the Body Wars attraction which used to be the big ticket item in this pavilion.

That pretty much covers the Festival Center.  I had to go anyway, as I had received a text from Twin #1 that she was in the parking lot and about to come in, and she wanted to know where to meet.

I was thirsty, and it was hot, so I told her to meet me over at Ice Station Cool (the place where you can get free soda samples-I think It's really called Club Cool now). 

On the way there, I saw something was missing from this year's Festival.

There is no cranberry bog this year!:

92214026_zps45817ed3.jpg

Which stinks.  Because that also means no free Craisins.  Boo!

This area over here has been walled off ever since the Flower and Garden Festival ended- so all summer.  What the Fort?:

92214027_zps58aa6491.jpg

According to the experts, it was supposed to be a rainy day, but so far it was sunny and getting hot:

92214028_zpsd3cda510.jpg

With no cranberry bog, the entrance to the World Showcase looks kind of blah:

92214029_zps72b7f08b.jpg

When I got to Ice Station Cool, I learned something I didn't know about Epcot.  No free soda until 10:30:

92214030_zps7e80bafb.jpg

We had about five or six minutes to go when Twin #1 showed up.  It was hot out there.  So, we ducked into the AC next door, and waited.  Right at 10:30 we popped back out for Ice Station Cool rope drop:

92214031_zps87c091c7.jpg

We will pick it up from there in the next update.

TCD

Interesting that Club Cool (or whatever it's called) doesn't open till 10:30 now.  I know for certain that at least in March 2012 it opened at park opening.  That's when we all (all 17 of us) were there for rope drop and Ray was charged with leading the herd to Test Track right when we got it while I took all 17 tickets to get Soarin' fastpasses.  I was going to single rider TT and catch up with them.  Great plan, right?  Well, what did they do instead?  They went to Club Cool.  At 9:00 a.m.  And wasted about 20 prime minutes during spring break.  I could have killed them.

Ahhhh, memories.