Hello, all, to my latest trip report.  It will start slowly and take some time to complete, but eventually we will get to the end.

First of all, thank you for reading along and especially for commenting.

Second, please be aware that I take some photos that many of you will consider weird.

I'm an avid photographer.  Was an art major in college but couldn't quite find my creativity on canvas and am now trying to capture it via digital photography.

I get inspired by shadows.  Or light.  Or color.  Or shapes.  Or repetitiveness.  Anything that catches my attention.

I take a lot of stock photos.  But also a lot that leaves my DH asking "why did you take a photo of that?"  Usually those are the ones that I like best.

Anyway, you've been forewarned.  Continue at your own peril!

Monday, October 13, 2014, and Tuesday, October 14 -- The Day I Learned How Important my Instincts Are -- Part 1

We left home about 5am, a little later than we planned.  It was rainy, cold, and foggy.  We couldn't wait to get to better weather.

I couldn't get the fridge to start on gas.  Aggravating, but no biggie.  We just turned the generator on every 4 hours during the day. 

In about an hour and a half we crossed the SC state line.  What did we find?  Love bugs!  In SC?  WTF!

_DSC3278_zps75cdd9f6.jpg

We traveled to the end of I-77 and turned onto 26.  Stopped at Cracker Barrel in Orangeburg, SC, for breakfast.  Traveled farther on 26 until we finally got to 95 a little after 10. 

Leaving SC:

_DSC3281_zps915895a8.jpg

And entering GA:

_DSC3284_zps722eb927.jpg

At noon the temp was 87.  It was great!  We crossed the FL line a little after 1 and stopped briefly at the Welcome Center.

_DSC3286_zps94cd1be1.jpg

DeeDee was riding fine:

_DSC3287_zps90da70b8.jpg

We drove straight through Jacksonville with no problem -- except that I shut my eyes over the high bridge.

Stopped at the Flying J in St. Augustine to refuel and spend the night.  We had a late lunch at Denny's.  I had a hamburger, and David had a toasted ham/cheese sandwich.

We washed the love bugs off Dolly.

We both read awhile and turned in early.  But I couldn't sleep, despite having been awake since 3am.  I eventually got up and read some more.  And watched the trucks come and go.  I am convinced that FJ never sleeps.

BTW, Harley week at Daytona was starting, so we saw lots and lots of motorcycles.

Eventually we both fell asleep.  We left FJ about 430 the next morning and turned onto I-4 at 523.  Oh, happy day!

We were on Disney property at 638am.  Here is our view of the MK entrance::

_DSC3291_zps63f61ead.jpg

It was still quite dark when we arrived at the Fort, checked in, and went to the overflow lot. 

_DSC3294_zpsa02d83a5.jpg

Eventually the sun began to rise. 

_DSC3296_zps607d8cbc.jpg

We unloaded DeeDee and drove down to the settlement to have breakfast at Trail's End. 

_DSC3297_zps70cc591e.jpg

After breakfast we saw Duane, Claudine, and Linda.  Dave was out running errands.

We were allowed onto our site (702) around 1030.  And around 11 I picked up my ECV. 

We finally started setting up.

_DSC3309_zpsc619d982.jpg

Obviously to be continued ...

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, all, to my latest trip report.  It will start slowly and take some time to complete, but eventually we will get to the end.   First of all, thank you for reading along and especially for commen

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 1   It was still raining this morning, so I changed our FP+s to the afternoon.  Went to the Trading Post and purchased our refillable mugs.  I

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 2   Our next FP was for BTMRR.             Is that ride getting rougher, or are we just getting older and more sensitive?   As we left th

Monday, October 13, 2014, and Tuesday, October 14 -- The Day I Learned How Important my Instincts Are -- Part 2

For the first time ever on our arrival day, we didn't go to a park.

I discovered we had no propane service.  No hot water, no stove.  No wonder the fridge wouldn't light.  It's probably something simple, but I couldn't figure it out.  And David didn't want to pay a repair person to come out and fix it.

Also David had again tried a new kind of water filter.  It slowed the water flow down to a trickle.  And he couldn't get the filter out for two days.

I wasn't in a good mood.

The HydroHot wouldn't get the water hot enough to suit David, so he was grouchy.

And then a welded bracket on DeeDee fell off when David flipped the back seat.  (Will have a photo later of our makeshift fix.)  That made him even more grouchy.

And midafternoon it started raining.

I was NOT a happy camper!

But then I remembered something.  Last spring I had the idea to buy an electric skillet for Dolly just in case we ever had problems with our stove.  My instinct paid off!  I could use the skillet, the gas grill, or the microwave to cook!  We were in business!

Anyway, with the weather and our bad moods, we just weren't up to going to a park. 

Tomorrow is a new day, and things start looking up ...

Look forward for this report, know you were busy, stopped by several times and never did get to meet up.

Got the card you left.  I had no idea what site you were on and couldn't look for you.  Sorry we didn't get to meet!

Sounds like a bumpy start but looking forward to reading about how your trip improved (at least I hope it did!)

It was a bumpy start, but the trip improved quickly.

Thank you both for reading!

Yeah, those bumpy starts are always fun.... "NOT". As much as you check out your rig, until you are actually parked and plugged in, do you realize what doesn't really work.  I don't think I've EVER had a trip where I didn't have to tweak something upon arrival.

Yeah, those bumpy starts are always fun.... "NOT". As much as you check out your rig, until you are actually parked and plugged in, do you realize what doesn't really work.  I don't think I've EVER had a trip where I didn't have to tweak something upon arrival.

When we had the Airstream we very rarely had problems.  And if we did, it was so simple that we could take care of most things ourselves.  The moho is a different story.  We've only had to have on-site service once when I blew the inverter breaker and we couldn't find it.  I suspect this time we need a new LPG sensor.  It says "replace after 60 months" and Dolly is WAY older than that.

I'm in, I shouldn't be because I have a lot to do but I can't pass up a TR lol.

I'm looking forward to different photos!

Happy that you're in!  I hope I have enough artsy photos for you. 

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I take weird shots sometimes too, especially shapes and colors that catch my  eye. But usually I'm the one who later asks why I took that picture. Looks like you had good weather for the drive at least. I hate when you are ready for a vacation to begin and un-vacationlike things happen. Hopefully things improved for you.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I take weird shots sometimes too, especially shapes and colors that catch my  eye. But usually I'm the one who later asks why I took that picture. Looks like you had good weather for the drive at least. I hate when you are ready for a vacation to begin and un-vacationlike things happen. Hopefully things improved for you.

Thanks for reading along.  If you were to go back and read my previous TRs, you'd see that I've learned to expect un-vacationlike things.  At least this time no one (including the dog) got sick or injured.

I'm in!

Boo to the bumpy start, but at least you were at the Fort :)

Thank you too!  Things got better quickly.  And I can put up with a lot of inconvenience just to be at the Fort.

I'm in also and I always like a bumpy ride.......HOLD ON!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading.  Thankfully the bumpy ride evened out over the next few days.

I'm working on the next installment.

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 1

It was still raining this morning, so I changed our FP+s to the afternoon.  Went to the Trading Post and purchased our refillable mugs.  I, of course, chose purple.  David got a red one.

I was feeling a little like this:

_DSC3306_zps54c7c5df.jpg

After the rain stopped we hopped on DeeDee and headed to the marina.  We stopped to admire this neighbor's sign:

_DSC3310_zps5e8b406b.jpg

I often give myself silly or weird photo assignments.  After taking this pic:

_DSC3312copy_zps98e102bb.jpg

I decided to try and get a photo of the monorail with the boat's flag in the foreground.

We arrived at MK and got through bag check and the turnstile.  David's MB worked, but as usual he had problems with his fingerprint. 

_DSC3313_zps77a66270.jpg

_DSC3314_zps16ab6732.jpg

And we finally see the castle!

_DSC3316copy_zpsc2568ede.jpg

I just took the big lens with me that day.  It's an 18-300mm zoom with f/3.5 to f/5.6.  It's my go-to lens except for portraits and very low light conditions.

Our first FP was for HM.  See what I mean about low light conditions?

_DSC3319copy_zps0c0b3acd.jpg

And our next FP was for Buzz.  Again, not enough light.

_DSC3334_zpsed7aa47b.jpg

I'm posting these pics so you can see later how much difference my new lens makes.

Next we rode the People Mover.  It broke down several times, but that was okay.  We were sitting down, and it was cool. 

We had some good views of the construction:

_DSC3345_zps502d8fb4.jpg

_DSC3346_zps6325fc39.jpg

_DSC3348_zps30d0f249.jpg

Our next FP was for lunch at BOG.  Even with a FP, we had a somewhat long wait to get in.

_DSC3350_zps3845e84e.jpg

_DSC3353_zpsae732428.jpg

_DSC3358copy_zps01147d11.jpg

_DSC3369copy_zps56b19377.jpg

_DSC3376copy_zps139f2ef3.jpg

_DSC3381copy_zpsd76e09f2.jpg

_DSC3383_zps0e9b6bab.jpg

_DSC3384_zps3496cf70.jpg

Lunch was disappointing.  It was a totally different experience from our previous visit in October 2012 during the AP preview.  My pork was great, as always.  David got a turkey sandwich which was bland.  The dining areas were super crowded -- to the point of barely finding a table -- and it was super noisy.  We couldn't even hold a conversation!

As we walked out of BOG we saw the 7DMT running:

_DSC3386_zpsa51d00a3.jpg

_DSC3387_zpsa2cea7f1.jpg

We had several days to wait before we could try it out.  FPs were hard to come by, but I managed to snag a couple of dates.