I think that would be me, if we went too large.  We currently have a hybrid which actually fits us (youngest doesn't have his own "bed" but we can convert one) however... the tent ends have always made me a little nervous and the set up/tear down for the entire thing is a bit of a hassle.  We're looking at a "medium" size trailer that has a lot of "power" (power awning, tongue, stabilizers, etc). Those items, along with the fact that I don't have to pop out the beds, blow up the mattresses and then make the beds... make set up/tear down sound a lot less time intensive.   Plus, we're hoping that if we had some cold/wet weather at night...that a little larger TT would allow us to watch TV inside, while the kids are sleeping.

Your on the right track.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might want to change the title of this thread. I thought it was another joke thread about Dave and his gas issues.

Dave's gas issues are a serious medical condition and we shouldn't poke fun.

I just saw a comercial for "Latoota", I thought it was about Dave

Posted Images

Towing TT. 2014 Cherokee 304BH 37' tip to tail

Weight. About 10,000 lb fully loaded

TV. 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax CC 6.5 bed (tuned & modded)

Mileage. 12-13 towing 18-22 reg driving

Likes Love this set up. Had a gas 1500 before with a 6500 lb TT. Boat is about the same. Got 7-8 mpg and shifting

constantly. I know diesel is an upfront cost but worth it in every aspect. Better ride, reliability, mileage.

Changes Would have got a long bed. Would make my golf cart transport much easier.

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 42' FW

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 15k

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: Ram 3500 dually 2013

Gas mileage: 10-12 towing 14-17 empty

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):- like it so far

What would I change - nothing yet... may move to a newer toyhauler with bath and a half for class A in a few years

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel):

Keystone Springdale 253 FWRL 29' 5th wheel (It sucks)

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:

Last trip (to the Fort) was 7,950lbs

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 Rear End

Gas mileage:

While towing, typically 9-10mpg going 60-63 mph.  11-13 in Town and 17-18 on the highway

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):

Hate the camper, wife loved it when we first saw it (why we bought it even though I didn't like it) but she doesn't like it anymore.  I can't stand up in the bedroom and I'm only 5' 9".  She can at 5' 3" and the bathroom is very small.  We thought we would like it over the split bathroom design in our old TT but nope.  I swear the trunk in my 84 Monte Carlo has more room then the bathroom.  The only good thing about this camper and this is why she wanted it was the opposing slides in the living room and U-shaped Dinette.  The thing opens up to about 14 feet wide.  I like my truck and don't wish it was a diesel at all.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why:

I wish my truck was a 3500.  If I had waited 2 weeks, I could  have got a 3500 dually gasser on sale for the same price as what I paid for mine.  Bad timing as usual.  I will probably upgrade to a 3500 so I can have more payload.  2,831lbs in payload isn't too shabby for a 2500 but we've been looking at some larger 5th wheels.

As for the camper, I would love to see it burn.  Hot and fast....  But anyway, I would like to have a bedroom I could stand up in and a larger bathroom.  My wife doesn't even use the shower in ours now because it's so small and the water pressure sucked.  I fixed that with an oxygenics shower head but she still won't use it.  We've been looking at either a Wildcat 317RL or a Salem Hemisphere 337BAR.  Either way, I would like to put LT tires on the camper and chuck the china bomb ST tires.  It would be nice to be able to travel with the flow of traffic and now worry about a blowout.

Ideally we would like a Front Living 5th wheel but I'll need a bigger truck for that.

As for the camper, I would love to see it burn.  Hot and fast....  But anyway, I would like to have a bedroom I could stand up in and a larger bathroom.  My wife doesn't even use the shower in ours now because it's so small and the water pressure sucked.  I fixed that with an oxygenics shower head but she still won't use it.  We've been looking at either a Wildcat 317RL or a Salem Hemisphere 337BAR.  Either way, I would like to put LT tires on the camper and chuck the china bomb ST tires.  It would be nice to be able to travel with the flow of traffic and now worry about a blowout.

Ideally we would like a Front Living 5th wheel but I'll need a bigger truck for that.

Oh gosh... don't sugar coat it, haha ;)   Sorry you hate the camper, that's a bummer :(   Hopefully you're still able to have some great fun camping....

Hey bhall, the York show is this weekend, just a fyi

I know. Not sure if I will get as good as a deal that jeff couch rv nation is offering on the price of a 337bar. With that being said i am $18k upside down on this 2011 Springdale. The wife wanted it so bad so I really never paid attention to the price nor shopped for others. While we were at camping world she kept on saying "happy wife, happy life". Whoever made that phrase up i hope died a gruesome death.

Sent from my iPhone

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 37' TT

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 9,800 

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2011 F250 SRW 6.7 Diesel

Gas mileage: 12-14 towing 17-19 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Wow! what a difference a Diesel makes. Completely different towing experience.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: Not a thing.

post-10476-0-46356000-1428842709_thumb.j

What you have Travel Trailer - 2011 Keystone Outback 301BQ

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: Trailer has 7,000 lb "empty" weight...traveling weight is significantly higher, in the range of 7,800-8,200 lbs.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: Ford E-350 van with 6.8L V10

Gas mileage: 7 MPG or so...

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Like it a lot.  There aren't many combos that work well for families of 7 or more.  Everyone has their own bed, there are plenty of seats to spread out comfortably in the van, and the 1 ton van is a towing beast (albeit a thirsty one). 

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I really want to move back into a class A MH (used to have one), and our plan is to do so when we find the right one and it's the "right time".  Am looking at a significant change in my career in March or April, so it's not the right time to make a large purchase right now.  But after that settles down, and after a kid or two leaves the nest, we'd like to make a change back into a MH to do some longer trips once again. 

Was just reading through this thread again, looks like Dave needs to update :)

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 37' TT

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 9,800 

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2009 F250 6.8L V10 Gas

Gas mileage: 8-10 towing 10-12 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love'm both, just wished the old Ford engineers had seen fit to put a full size gas tank on the full size truck (only 26 gallons). We stop A LOT on our way to the Fort.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I would install a larger gas tank, or a second one.

Titan fuel tanks should make a 40 or 50 gallon replacement fuel tank For your truck.

Titan fuel tanks should make a 40 or 50 gallon replacement fuel tank For your truck.

Sorry, Diesel only. Product development manager responded to my email. Something to do with liability......yada, yada. The only thing Titan has to offer is the in bed spare tank option much like Transfer flow. That might be the way I go, even though it means stopping to refuel, I at least wouldn't have to stress between gas stations.

Sorry, Diesel only. Product development manager responded to my email. Something to do with liability......yada, yada. The only thing Titan has to offer is the in bed spare tank option much like Transfer flow. That might be the way I go, even though it means stopping to refuel, I at least wouldn't have to stress between gas stations.

Never new they only made them for diesel. I looked into getting one when I had my 6.0 diesel. I was only getting 5 mpg while towing. But instead I just bought a new truck. It gets 9 to 10 so that helped a lot.
  • 2 weeks later...

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 35' Flagstaff Classic Ultralight

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 7,000 dry, add the wife and 2 girls "stuff" and a golf cart and we are pushing 10K

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2010 F-250 Superduty Turbo Diesel 6.4L

Gas mileage: 8.5 aggressive towing (75-80) and 9 normal (60-70) 15 not towing...me leadfoot

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love the truck for towing what we have now plus for now it is a good setup.  The bunkhouse is a big deal now because the girls are still young (7 & 10).  In the future we would like to have a 5th wheel toy hauler to make it easier to load/unload the golf cart.  Before that day I will have to upgrade to a F-350. 

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 02 Coleman Taos popup

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 2,750 lbs max

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2004 Mercury Monterey 4.2L

Gas mileage: 18.5 mpg normal, 15mpg towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love them both, we are campers that have a nice bed.

We might be moving up to a small TT. There is a few 21ft 3klbs bunk beds with queen bed layouts being made now.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 28' TT

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 6000

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: Toyota Tundra Crewmax

Gas mileage: 9.5-10

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love the truck, and love the way it handles the load. Worst part about the truck is the tank is so small versus our old moho... have to stop for gas way too often. Not very happy with the build quality of the R-Vision Trail-Lite product. We are seriously looking at used diesel pushers now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up, as the trailer has changed for us....

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 32" TT

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:  6700lbs fully loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  2007 Nissan Armada LE

Gas mileage: 9 mpg towing, 13 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it:  like it

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why:  Need a different TV.  Our truck does pull the TT and it does fine, but I can tell it's at the max.  We need something a little stronger.

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 85 Coleman Columbia PUP

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 1200 loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 4 Door

Gas mileage: TOWING AROUND 19 MPG @ 55-58 MPH. NOT TOWING HWY. 22 - 24 @ 55

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): LIKE BOTH

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: NEWER PUP MAYBE, LESS THINGS TO BREAK BECAUSE OF AGE

This is very interesting to me:

From before:

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 26' Hybrid

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 4400 lbs fully loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  2007 Nissan Armada LE

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: We'll make a change for more space.  Our truck if fine, but we'd like something with better gas mileage if we continue to tow...considering a Class A as I like the options available (to move around) when driving down the road.

What you have now:

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 32" TT

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:  6700lbs fully loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  2007 Nissan Armada LE

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why:  Need a different TV.  Our truck does pull the TT and it does fine, but I can tell it's at the max.  We need something a little stronger.

6 more feet and 2,300 lbs and no change in fuel economy.

I always chuckle when I read about people not carrying water because of what it weighs and how it'll affect their MPGs. :)

This is very interesting to me:

From before:

What you have now:

6 more feet and 2,300 lbs and no change in fuel economy.

I always chuckle when I read about people not carrying water because of what it weighs and how it'll affect their MPGs. :)

One thing I've noticed since getting the trailer and reading various forums is the consistency in towing mileage. No matter what the trailer is or what vehicle is towing it, 9 - 11 mpg seems to be the most common mileage range.