Westward Ho! To Disneyland We Go!!!!

I decided to go ahead and get started on this trip report.

Some preamble. We always have wanted to do something special for our 25th Anniversary, and years ago we evened dreamed about visiting the Disney Parks around the World, but various matters really prevented that. Mainly money and time.

However, some things happened that really made a Disneyland trip possible.

As most of you know, I travel for work..... a lot, so therefore the FF miles, hotel points, and rental car points have been adding up. Disney also came out with a Premier Annual Pass a few years ago that is only a few dollars more than a WDW regular annual pass and a Disneyland 5-day pass. We really didn't want to be confined to just 5 days in the parks, as we absolutely CANNOT go full bore all day long, and we would have felt the need to do that with just a 5 day ticket.

With all of those elements combined, that brought the cost of this trip waaaaay down.

Airfare - $22.00 in taxes

Hotel - $0.00

Premier Annual Pass - $969.00 each.

We also discovered that Annual Passholders out at Disneyland resort get discounts on most meals including counter service! No gimmicks with the Tables in Wonderland card.

Another neat thing on this trip is Rick LOVES watching the Price is Right. One morning, I decided to check on getting into the Studio Audience. It is remarkably easy. Searched on Price Is Right tickets, and found a place where I could pick a date and sign up. So then I found a Hertz car place a couple doors down from our hotel, and got a car on points also. Only $5 plus filling the tank back up. 

So let's get started.

Our airline tickets were on two different airlines out of Atlanta, but the flight times were pretty close. Rick had a direct flight on Delta, and I had a layover in San Francisco on United.

Monday, April 13

We started toward Atlanta about 3:00 that afternoon. I had to work that morning and get two projects ready to ship.

Our first stop was at a local place called Greenbriar Barbecue..... Best hushpuppies in the world!!!

20150413_143515.jpg

20150413_143520.jpg

Then we got to our hotel in Atlanta. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Airport South. It was fine for an overnight stop, but the bed was not very comfortable.

We had a quick burger at the hotel restaurant, and tried to turn in early, as we needed to leave for the airport at 5am.

We paid for the hotel parking and used their shuttle.

Unfortunately, neither of us slept worth a darn. I had a cold and was also worried about getting up on time, and the bed was not agreeing with Rick.

Tuesday, April 14th

So we gave up about 3am, got up and got dressed and was waiting on the shuttle in plenty of time.

Once we got to the airport, and got checked in, Rick headed for his gate, and I headed for mine.

I have a few pics from on the flight, but I mostly slept.

Most of the Eastern US on our flight path was under cloud cover

20150414_100724.jpg

But then we got further out west and there were the mountains!!

20150414_102621.jpg

20150414_102643.jpg

20150414_102703.jpg

20150414_104023.jpg

Then my flight from San Francisco down to LAX, was able to see the coast most of the way

20150414_113548.jpg

Also, some big solar panel farms

20150414_115816.jpg

20150414_121000.jpg

Getting closer to LA

Don't know what those fields are, but...

20150414_121648.jpg

20150414_121710.jpg

LA skyline and the smog

20150414_121829.jpg

and that is all I have uploaded so far.....

More to come when I can. We've been taking an afternoon break each day, so maybe some more tomorrow :)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I decided to go ahead and get started on this trip report.   Some preamble. We always have wanted to do something special for our 25th Anniversary, and years ago we evened dreamed about visiting the D

After World of Color, we waited on the crowds to disperse, then wandered to DTD for some Earl of Sandwich. I had found a Groupon for $10 worth for $5, and was able to buy two coupons, so dinner was pr

By the way...who is this Westward Ho you are speaking of? :rofl3:

First??

Disneyland!!!!!

Woo hoo, bring it on!

And BTW....the stadium is the LA Coliseum, I believe. And that's an old arena near USC.

Yes that LA. Coliseum and the LA Memorial Sports Arena.

Carol actually flew just north of it so she's looking south. And if you look to southwest of the stadium you'll see were I spent most of my freshman year, in that darn swimming pool. Lol.

USC is directly north of the stadium and the Staples Center, home of the LA Lakers, is about 2-3 miles north of USC.

I'm in!  :)

Were you two of different planes?

Wow... I was born in S. Cali and still have extended family down there, but it's been years (and TV does such a good job of making things super pretty) that I had all but forgotten just how bad the smog can be.  Yuck!

So, anniversary trip...right?  Congratulations!!  :heartsmiley: