CONFIRMED: Tiered Ticketing and Price Increases

EDITED: 2/27/16
CONFIRMED - see this page of the thread for info

From WDWMagic...

Is Disney considering tiered ticketing prices based on season? Survey says yes
May 27, 2015 | 10:34am EDT

Based on a recent survey sent out to guests via email, it appears that Disney is at least considering introducing a tiered ticket price based on season.

Using a Gold, Silver and Bronze tiering system, the calendar year is split into three tiers, each with their own price.

• Gold tickets are valid any day of the year.
  • Silver tickets are valid most days of the year except for peak and holiday weeks.
  • Bronze tickets are valid only during off-peak weekdays.
  • Multi-day tickets crossing two or more seasons must be purchased at the highest season’s price.
  • Guests visiting on a day that is currently blocked out on their ticket can upgrade to a higher-season ticket.

As part of the survey, Disney included a pricing structure and calendar indicating when each tier applies.

Magic-Your-Way-Ticket_Full_24262.jpg
Tiered ticketing grid

The survey questions that followed asked how the recipient would have resounded to such a pricing structure and how it would have affected plans for the visit.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/magic-your-way-ticket/news/27may2015-disney-considering-tiered-ticketing-prices-based-on-season-survey-says-yes.htm

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh look another way to increase prices.  Will the drinks cost more in the summer, coffee and hot chocolate in the winter?   

They could even require a swipe of the Magicband to get toilet paper....and call the program "Swipe to Wipe".  

FL resident APs are already tiered... sort of.  There are different levels of passes/pricing, the less expensive ones with blockout dates.  I suppose it's possible that if this becomes an actual thing

We have 3 park days left on our non-expiring tickets.  I'm taking note of the Gold days so that we will get the best value for what will probably our last WDW park days in a long time.  But if implemented it will be interesting to see the statistics on attendance related to cost. I'm sure that's already been predicted.  And in the example, is the bronze the current prices?  I'm not up to date but some friends were in Orlando last week and told us they considered WDW but then saw it was going to be $100 per person to get in and they went somewhere else instead. 

Oh look another way to increase prices.  Will the drinks cost more in the summer, coffee and hot chocolate in the winter?   

They will now. Thanks a lot for suggesting it.  :angry:

And tshirts more in the summer, sweatshirts more in the winter, poncho price automatically goes up on rainy days. Keep thinking. There have to be other ways to make more $$$$. 

... if implemented it will be interesting to see the statistics on attendance related to cost. I'm sure that's already been predicted. 

I'm guessing that's what's determined these tiers, but IF this happens, it wouldn't be a surprise if they get adjusted down the line if/when attendance patterns change.

...  some friends were in Orlando last week and told us they considered WDW but then saw it was going to be $100 per person to get in and they went somewhere else instead. 

If they were looking at going for just one day, then it's at least that.  Same is true for Universal.  Per day price gets more manageable overall the longer the ticket, but those short and espcially 1 day ticket prices are tough.

So does the Silver also get to go during Bronze?

Says Gold is good everyday so that overlaps Bronze and Silver.

It says Bronze is only off peak weekdays, but I see a lot of Bronze colored weekend days.  Some together, some just one.

When I saw tiered, I thought they were coming back out with a general admission, then separate pricing for rides ala County Fairs!

The first thing I noticed was that none of the prices went down with the tiered approach (not that I expected them to). I would appreciate it if you would edit your post to delete the seasonal beverage suggestion. We don't need to give Disney any more ideas on how to raise prices. ;)

This is what I am interested to learn also.  

FL resident APs are already tiered... sort of.  There are different levels of passes/pricing, the less expensive ones with blockout dates.  I suppose it's possible that if this becomes an actual thing, regular APs go that route too.

FL resident APs are already tiered... sort of.  There are different levels of passes/pricing, the less expensive ones with blockout dates.

That's because Floridians are smart enough to know you don't want to go to a place made entirely of blacktop and cement and surrounded by thousands of sweaty people in the middle of Summer! :rofl2:

FL resident APs are already tiered... sort of.  There are different levels of passes/pricing, the less expensive ones with blockout dates.  I suppose it's possible that if this becomes an actual thing, regular APs go that route too.

That's what I'm thinking too.  Tiers would be okay with us since we avoid holidays and summer. 

Looks like all the more reason to plan a Fort day and a resort-hopping/DTD day on the weekends. I am wondering, though, when they say that if a bronze passholder wants to attend on a silver day that he'd have to upgrade his ticket, does that mean pay the difference on that day's admission, upgrade all remaining days on the ticket, or upgrade all original days on the ticket?! Seems like if it's anything but the last answer then it would make sense to pretty much always just buy bronze and upgrade as needed (unless you KNOW your whole vacay is going to be gold days).

Good point.  And, the pricing for the MNSSHP and MVMCP hard ticket events has also been tiered- they charge different prices based on what night the party is held.  And for years, they have been varying the charges for the buffet restaurants, depending on the season.  You pay more for the exact same meal depending on whether you're visiting at a busy time or not. Varying ticket prices is not all that revolutionary a concept for them.  I won't be surprised to see these tiered tickets happen.

What a rip off. There are only three Saturday's available at the bronze tier. So if you want to go for a week guess what? Your going to have to pay for silver tickets or gold. There for affectively eliminating the multi day discount.

If the price structure is accurate, the price difference to upgrade a 10 day pass from bronze to gold works out to $4 a day.  Not that big a deal.  And that's how Disney wants it- fork over $40 without blinking an eye.  That is pure profit for them.

Looks like all the more reason to plan a Fort day and a resort-hopping/DTD day on the weekends. I am wondering, though, when they say that if a bronze passholder wants to attend on a silver day that he'd have to upgrade his ticket, does that mean pay the difference on that day's admission, upgrade all remaining days on the ticket, or upgrade all original days on the ticket?! Seems like if it's anything but the last answer then it would make sense to pretty much always just buy bronze and upgrade as needed (unless you KNOW your whole vacay is going to be gold days).

My guess is that you aren't going to be able to just upgrade for one day.  They're going to make you upgrade the entire pass and pay the difference with no proration.  That's what they do if you want to upgrade from a Florida Resident Seasonal Pass to a regular Florida Resident pass.  You pay the total price difference, with no adjustment for how much time is left on the pass.  When it comes to Disney, the safe assumption is that they will always extract the most cash as possible from the guest.

TCD

I'm wondering what would happen to AP prices.  Maybe they would be tiered too.

I'd be all for that. We've had AP's off and on now for years but the price is just too much lately esp now having to buy another adult one for our 5 yr old...

I would have no problem going only in the off-season and/or weekdays only.  As Shannon said, all the more reason to do a monorail/resort day or Pleasure Island, uh I mean Downtown Disney, uhhh I mean Disney Springs!  ;)

Wow - this rumor is spreading like wildfire. From Time.com...

Disney Is Weighing Surge Pricing for Parks
May 29, 2015
The company sent out a survey asking questions about whether guests would pay more for peak days

Visitors to Disneyland and Disney World may find themselves paying more for entry to the parks on peak days during the summer, spring break and Christmas time.

Walt Disney Co. sent out surveys to annual pass holders asking questions that suggest it is considering this change, gauging how they would react to a tiered pricing system, the L.A. Times reports. In Anaheim, Calif.’s Disneyland, a day pass currently costs $99 for those aged 10 and up; under the hypothetical new system, that price would stay the same for off-peak days, but most other, regular days would cost $105, while peak days would cost $115. In Disney World, the Orlando Sentinel reports, the current rate of $105 for ages 10 and up for the Magic Kingdom might remain an option while the most expensive days might cost $125.

The company told both papers that it frequently polls its customers on a wide range of topics, giving little weight to this particular survey.

http://time.com/3901243/disney-surge-pricing/