Well, I’m bittersweet to say we sold our camper (again)..lol.  We were avid fort campers for 11 great years and made many great memories. I believe we camped there when the fort was still considered a hidden gem.  Unfortunately the prices just pushed us out. I’m not posting to bash Disney or say the prices just got out of hand, but just to say thank you for giving us great memories and experiences.  We met some great campers over the years especially TCD (Andrew). We always looked forward to your great trip reports and your love of Disney.  Not that anyone really cares here, but I’m probably going to become more of a lurker here from time to time instead of a poster since we won’t be camping any longer. I hope many people can afford to experience the fort like we did and be able to cope with the future changes of the new river country resort.  Thanks for the memories Walt 😊

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I check out the Fort Wilderness facebook pages, I can't bring myself to participate.  All they seem to concentrate on is how to game the system, and also the latest fad they "must do".  That is

Sometime's when it's time to turn the page to another chapter in life, we resist mightily.  We are supposed to move on to a new, exciting phase in our lives, but we can't get there if we hang on to th

You're still a FORT FIEND... We haven't camped for 2 yrs, but everybody's still stuck with me posting....😂

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Starbuc71 said:

Well, I’m bittersweet to say we sold our camper (again)..lol.  We were avid fort campers for 11 great years and made many great memories. I believe we camped there when the fort was still considered a hidden gem.  Unfortunately the prices just pushed us out. I’m not posting to bash Disney or say the prices just got out of hand, but just to say thank you for giving us great memories and experiences.  We met some great campers over the years especially TCD (Andrew). We always looked forward to your great trip reports and your love of Disney.  Not that anyone really cares here, but I’m probably going to become more of a lurker here from time to time instead of a poster since we won’t be camping any longer. I hope many people can afford to experience the fort like we did and be able to cope with the future changes of the new river country resort.  Thanks for the memories Walt 😊

Sorry you had to stop camping , but I understand the cost of the fort pushing you out. I use to not give it a second thought booking a trip to Disney but when I look at what it cost now it's just really hard to book it.  Keep posting though, next you will buy a small motor home,  it will be great for driving to motels.

11 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

Not that anyone really cares here, but I’m probably going to become more of a lurker here from time to time instead of a poster since we won’t be camping any longer. I hope many people can afford to experience the fort like we did and be able to cope with the future changes of the new river country resort.  Thanks for the memories Walt 😊

ONCE A FIEND!  

ALWAYS A FIEND!

You can’t get rid of us that easy!

like Dave said you don’t have to camp at the fort to be a fiend. 

We all share a love of the fort, Disney’s, and the friends we’ve met there and here on this forum.  

Please keep posting. You’ve got years of experience and wisdom to share.  

Just echoing what was said above... stick around!  We're in the same boat as you (and many others):  prices have pushed us out.  Ugh, that's tough to say but it's where we're at.  Now we try to camp locally and just eat on property.  Even without your camper, your comments are welcomed and wanted!  We Fiends have to stick together!!

Sometime's when it's time to turn the page to another chapter in life, we resist mightily.  We are supposed to move on to a new, exciting phase in our lives, but we can't get there if we hang on to the past.  Perhaps your last RV purchase was that....it was time to move to the next chapter but you weren't ready and you were hanging on to what was.  I know I tend to do that.  But now it's time to jump with both feet and find out what is in store for your family.  I bet it'll be every bit as fun and fulfilling as those camping trips to the Fort....just different.    I hope you stick around here to let us know what you are up to, and how your family is doing.  

53 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Just echoing what was said above... stick around!  We're in the same boat as you (and many others):  prices have pushed us out.  Ugh, that's tough to say but it's where we're at.  Now we try to camp locally and just eat on property.  Even without your camper, your comments are welcomed and wanted!  We Fiends have to stick together!!

We haven't been to the Fort in 2 years due to a variety of reasons.

Was surprised/shocked that a Tuesday thru Friday partial site March 19 - 22 was going to cost me $150 a night.

In theory that isn't even the "official" spring break time which is mid April, when we are blacked out for Silver from the parks.

Someone on another site said they got a partial in late September for $77 a night.

42 minutes ago, Travisma said:

In theory that isn't even the "official" spring break time which is mid April, when we are blacked out for Silver from the parks.

That has been that way for several years. Rates jump and stay up starting Mid Feb.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

We haven't been to the Fort in 2 years due to a variety of reasons.

Was surprised/shocked that a Tuesday thru Friday partial site March 19 - 22 was going to cost me $150 a night.

Someone on another site said they got a partial in late September for $77 a night.

$150/night hurts just saying it. 

When we went to the SW last Spring, I cancelled a week at the Fort (8 nights I believe).  That one week paid all of our camping fees (we were gone 4 weeks), plus $200 or so left over and applied towards the cost of fuel.

15 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

$150/night hurts just saying it. 

When we went to the SW last Spring, I cancelled a week at the Fort (8 nights I believe).  That one week paid all of our camping fees (we were gone 4 weeks), plus $200 or so left over and applied towards the cost of fuel.

WOW, that's crazy.

The womenz were pricing next years excursion, and I had to gasp several times with the prices.  Now, we split the cost eight or so ways, or depending on how many people come each year.  Sometimes we have 15, sometimes 8.  We have cut way back on our Fort trips as a family.  In fact, it has been two or so years since we have been to the Fort and stayed as a family.  All the times I go are with groups.  I still tailgate with my RV's and even though we can't go to the Fort as much, I still love the family here.  Lurk if you want, but my guess is that you will not be able to stay in the shadows.  We have many walks of life here.  Don't sell yourself short by thinking you no longer have input in conversations here.

We decided to make it a trip we do every couple years due to the price.  We also got the Disney Visa card and for our trip this summer we have enough points to cover our 11 nights and some left over for tickets.  There are 6 in our family and we are bringing my adult niece so staying at the fort is the only way it is affordable for us.

We decided to make our next trip the end of August.  Our grandkids will be with us again.  August can be hot, but we usually hit the parks about 4pm and stay until closing.  The best thing about August is that we were able to book during the sale.  We were considering going in July, but the sale saved us almost $700.  That's a lot of money.

With that being said, you will always be a fiend and who knows what the future will hold.

Dave-  I just saw your post, and I'm sad to hear your news. I totally understand. 

Sadly, things have changed, and the good old days are not coming back. 

I'm sad for your kids. I thought for sure that there would be a new Herbie for them to drive around the Fort when they got to be teens. 

I'm still hanging in there, and still plan to camp from time to time. But it will never be like it was. 

TCD

Since we live outside of Tampa, I never said we would stop making day trips. my daughter is 13 and still loves Disney.  I rather spend the money going to dinner to a place they love to eat at the parks or a resort than dish out the money for a site. We have that luxury living so close. We are still happy for the 11 great years of camping at the fort. 

15 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Dave-  I just saw your post, and I'm sad to hear your news. I totally understand. 

Sadly, things have changed, and the good old days are not coming back. 

I'm sad for your kids. I thought for sure that there would be a new Herbie for them to drive around the Fort when they got to be teens. 

I'm still hanging in there, and still plan to camp from time to time. But it will never be like it was. 

TCD

Thanks Andrew. We are still huge Disney fans and my kids still enjoy going. As stated in my last post, we will continue to be day trippers. The downside to that is missing out on the 60 day window for FP.  This probably means we will almost never get on the avatar ride again since there is hardly anything available at 30 days out and God help if we will ever get anything for Galaxy Edge which will be an absolute mess for probably two years. I will definitely miss waking up to train horns and boat horns  (I miss the roar of race cars from the Disney race track more),  the quietness of rocking on the porch in the mornings at trails end and of course just relaxing in the best resort at Disney. You’re right, the good old days are gone and are never coming back.  I’ll be curious when the $200 a night marker is surpassed. I’m sure it’s soon. Have fun. 

We are among those that the price has about wiped us out.  We have been going only one time a year for the last 3 years now and this year may be our last doing that.

We have found that there are numerous places we can go for much less so we usually end up camping several times a year at those places.

The DW and I both love Disney and still consider it our favorite destination, but we find that the variety of places to go that are much less expensive just outweigh the expense of going there.

We are going to be in our current location for two more years until the teenager graduates high school.  After that, depending on where he wants to continue his education, we will be relocating.  I am hoping it will be back to Florida all year long where I belong instead of just several months per year.  If that happens, we will most certainly be planning more GG's in Florida.  This way we can all have a less expensive option and those of us living close can continue the day trip process.  One of the schools my son is looking at is UCF.  I would love for him to go there, lol.