YC's Pre-Trip Report--Efforts of a Novice

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I was sitting on my deck drinking out of my favorite Mickey mug I had picked up at the World several years back, I was thinking about all the things I had done to prepare for this next 700 mile t

Once again, we are all enriched by sharing with other and enjoying being Fiends!!!!!

We're happy you're here Eric. The online thing is just a part of FF.Net. It goes way beyond virtual bantar. There are real people that you can meet, get to know, and in a lot of cases, become friends

CC, DaveInTN, Annie, Steffa, Heidi, and Cherie,

Thank you all for the well wishes going home. It worked! We made it with only minor traffic issues in Atlanta otherwise it was good driving. We left at 10:20 Orlando time and arrived at 10:00 on the nose Nashville time. We had the usual stops plus one more to see my mom in South Atlanta.

The week went very quick with only one minor snag. A break in occurred at our camper! See my next post for details!

I also plan to continue my mug shots in the morning till this trip report is complete.

We made it with only minor traffic issues in Atlanta

A break in occurred at our camper! See my next post for details!

Aren't there always traffic issues in Atlanta? ::)

Nice job on the cliffhanger! I hope it sounds worse than it was.

Good morning Fiends! Here is the morning mug to get us going.

IMG_20120410_072841.jpg

Here is the rest of the story on the break in...

We came back to the camper to rest and my wife noticed these in the bed and began giving our son the third degree over eating in the bed, and cookies that he must have snuck without asking.

DSCN0822.jpg

He began to protest as he always does, but this time it really seemed he didn't do it since the crumbs weren't on his side of the bed.

We looked around and found this...

DSCN0823.jpg

Look carefully at the bag, it has been chewed on. We knew Mickey had a sweet tooth but never imagined a rodent would have gotten in the camper..

So I began looking and found this on the ground...

DSCN0824.jpg

and then this...

DSCN0825.jpg

A squirrell had chewed the bungee chord in half and climbed up under the tenting to get the cookies and bread that were left out of the plastic food box we usually store our food in...I couldn't believe how resourceful that little bugger had been. He also raided most of the food the tenters beside us had left out on their table.

Now our family has had problems with squirrels chewing on our fuel lines in the cars and lawn mowers and proprane grills at home to the tune of $1000 damage to the van.

When I got home and went to mow yesterday, guess what, the fuel line on the mower had been chewed while we were gone and the new hose I had put on last fall on the grill had been chewed as well. Needless to say we are trapping and relocating those little tree rats....

Now you know the rest of the story... Wait till you hear what we saw on bike ride through the trails around the Fort and to the Wilderness lodge. Let's just say someone had way too much Kungaloosh the night before.

When I got home and went to mow yesterday, guess what, the fuel line on the mower had been chewed while we were gone and the new hose I had put on last fall on the grill had been chewed as well. Needless to say we are trapping and relocating those little tree rats....

I don't think your definition of relocating would be the same as mine with all that damage. I like squirrels, but the rule is stay out of my house, garage, barn.

When I got home and went to mow yesterday, guess what, the fuel line on the mower had been chewed while we were gone and the new hose I had put on last fall on the grill had been chewed as well.

When we were camping one time a squirrel bit through the hose from our propane tank to the grill (a$25 hose). The whole campsite stunk of propane and the sound whistling out of the hose was very loud. That would have been a dead squirrel if I had ever found him. Hope he got high on the fumes and stepped in front of a moving vehicle!

Just want to do a little clean up and respond to some posts I missed in the transition back to the working world.

Oh no!!

I hope the rest of the story wasn't so bad, but my youngest was freaked out that the squirrel had been in his bed. It was really funny to listen to the tough little boy whinning about a tree rat.

Glad to hear you made it home safely. Hate to hear that your camper was broken into. I really enjoyed your live TR and want to thank you for allowing us to join you on your family vacation.

Thanks for reading along Yvonne! It is tough to do a real time TR, I had no idea how tough it would be to upload pictures and complete posts each day. However, I am not done and am looking to write the final verses the next couple of days.

Aren't there always traffic issues in Atlanta? ::)

Nice job on the cliffhanger! I hope it sounds worse than it was.

Atlanta was better than it ever has been we were very happy about it. I hope the cliffhanger was worth waiting for.

Yeah what Stef said.

Thanks Jeff, your help getting me to the Fiends is much appreciated!

Aaaaw, those dang squirrels are getting really bad!!! DON'T FEED THE SQUIRRELS!!!!

The little ones were the most fearless. You would think they would be the most skiddish, but nope. They have probably been fed since birth by campers.

I don't think your definition of relocating would be the same as mine with all that damage. I like squirrels, but the rule is stay out of my house, garage, barn.

I have a trap and an air rifle, the trap is a better shot :) If I trap them you have to take them 8 miles or more away and preferably across a water barrier to prevent them from returning.

I hate the Fort squirrels!! They weren't even intimidated by our dogs! :argh:

I agree Don't feed the squirrels!!

I would have at least thought the dogs would have kept them away. We will be bringing some ROPEL to spray around the camper next time.

I don't think a cat would be intimidated by the little ankle biters.

I don't know the boys and I hit them the pine cones and they really didn't flinch. We tried some sticks and that some better effect but they were right back.

Wow! I can't believe a squirrel tree rat chewed through your bungee cord and got into your camper. That stinks!

And to think of all the times I braked when one of those ingrates ran in front of my golf cart while I was out looping.

Maybe I won't be so careful in the future.

TCD

I don't know TCD I wouldn't want to bring the wrath of the tree rat on you. I just wonder if it was smart enough to know that chewing that particular bungee would allow him access or if it was just luck.

I got stalked by a Fort squirrel last month ... hate those little critters!

What was that like?

When we were camping one time a squirrel bit through the hose from our propane tank to the grill (a$25 hose). The whole campsite stunk of propane and the sound whistling out of the hose was very loud. That would have been a dead squirrel if I had ever found him. Hope he got high on the fumes and stepped in front of a moving vehicle!

The ones here at home have chewed the lines from my tank on the camper and on our grill on the deck. I have replaced the ones on the deck 3 times already. What gets me is they chew the gas lines on car and lawn mower should that kill them when the gas comes out surely they swallow a little bit of it.

I hope Pam doesn't read about the squirrel. She'd fly off into an uncontrollable rage.

Glad you made it home safely. You made good time...at least compared to us. Takes us 14 hours.

Do not mention squirrels around Pam, they still have issues that were not taken care of!!!!!!!!!

Great Report and I am Sure pam is gonna just love the ending! She still has not found her little friend yet!!

Okay, I don't know the story about Pam and the squirrels. I will do some searching tonight, but does anyone want to tell the story?