Hot Fun in the Summertime-TCD's August 2012 TR

The TCD gang has enjoyed quite a few trips to WDW in 2012.

But, we haven't stayed at the Fort since Spring Break.

We needed a Fort fix.

So, we packed up the old camper and headed that way.

We stayed four nights.

In August.

It was hot.

Very hot.

It rained.

A lot.

But a good time was had by all.

So, buckle your seatbelts and sit back and get ready to enjoy a good old Fort trip report.

We arrived on Thursday, August 9th. And left on Monday, August 13th. It was just me and the TCD twins.

We headed over in the early afternoon on Thursday.

There was nobody else checking in when we arrived. No one. Just three empty lanes with castmembers waiting to check us in.

We got waited on right away, and were on our way to site 1506.

I dropped the girls off at the Settlement, and headed back to get set up.

I always mean to take before and after photos, but didn't think of it until I had already begun to unload the front storage box. So, here is the almost before photo of the TCD Excursion and pop-up in site 1506:

001.jpg

If you look carefuly, you will see the good old TCD bike up there on the camper. Why did I bring that, you ask? Well, I had some exploring to do between Wilderness Lodge and the Fort, so I needed my trusty old bike.

Here is the view from the back of the site, looking out toward the loop entrance:

003.jpg

The last time we camped at the Fort was at the end of March. It was about 70 degrees when I set up the camper on that trip. It was about 92 degrees as I set up the camper today.

But, at least this site has a lot of shade:

004.jpg

Here we are set-up:

005.jpg

006.jpg

As you can see, I did my best to get a piece of rope around every tree near my site. I am paying a lot for the privilege of camping here, and I wanted to get my money's worth. You can't see the TCD hammock in this photo, but that rope you see tied around the tree on the right goes with the TCD hammock:

007.jpg

I went with my standard site decorations on this trip:

008.jpg

I made sure to park with two wheels off the pavement just to give the rangers something to do:

009.jpg

Actually, I parked like that to leave a space open for the oldest TCD DD to park in case she decided to visit over the weekend. It turns out that she prefers our air conditioned home to the lovely pop-up camper. This would have been her parking space had she graced us with her presence:

010.jpg

You may notice that it looks nice and dry around the site. That's because it was nice and dry. That will be the last time I can say that on this trip.

Everything was set and in place by the time 6 pm rolled around. That is when the twins were supposed to be heading back so we could eat and then head over to Hollywood Studios for a while.

The twins called at 6. They were at the Settlement. They wanted to know if I wanted them to order a Giddyap and Go chicken dinner and bring it back to the site.

I said bring it on!

So they did.

And we enjoyed our traditional first meal in the air conditioned glory of the good old TCD pop-up.

While this was going on, clouds were rolling in.

And we heard some thunder.

And saw some lightning.

And then it started to rain.

Hard.

Poop.

That was not in the plans.

We decided to wait it out. Maybe it would pass.

It didn't.

So, the plan was rather than drive and have to mess with walking in from the parking lot to the tram and then the gate, we would bus it.

Here we are at the 1500 loop bus stop:

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

It took a while for our bus to come.

Which was good, because I had a beer to drink.

We were entertained by the poor tent campers who were camped right behind the bus stop. They were trying to stay dry, by huddling under a tarp they were holding over their heads while they ate at their picnic table. That wasn't working so well. And, the rain was putting out their charcoal in the grill. They were not having fun at all.

I wasn't finished with my beer when the bus arrived.

So I brought it with me.

The mean driver said I couldn't bring the beer on board.

Poop.

I have brought beers on the buses before. And I have seen plenty of other folks do the same. The bus driver said: "If you're drinking it, them I'm drinking it." I think he was referring to the open container law. But, I am pretty sure that law doesn't apply to buses. Since I was standing in the rain, I decided not to argue with the driver, and I tossed my beer in the trash can.

As we headed to DHS, it rained even harder. But we had our ponchos with us, and we were going no matter what. That is how we roll.

The funny thing is that when we got to DHS, it hadn't even rained there. It was cloudy, and we could hear the thunder and see flashes of lightning, but it hadn't rained a drop.

That meant that nobody would have left the park because of the rain.

The time board confirmed that DHS was packed:

015.jpg

Do you see that?

110 minutes for Toy Story?

And 120 minutes for Tower of Terror? Two hours for TOT? That is crazy!

We headed the other way.

To Star Wars.

Here are the girls getting ready to ride:

017.jpg

None of us were picked to be the rebel spy.

I didn't know that the Droid factory in the gift shop was still going to be here past Star Wars Weekends ,but it was:

018.jpg

We decided to walk by Toy Story to see if things looked as bad as the time board suggested.

They looked worse.

We kept on walking.

We decided to check on the Animation class. Those usually go to park closing, and we always have fun there.

When we checked, though, they had closed early.

But, we did get to see all the new stuff on display for the movie Wreck It Ralph. The last time we were here, everything was about the movie Brave.

Here is some of the Wreck It Ralph stuff:

019.jpg

We think this animated figure is supposed to be John Lasseter- note the Toy Story character outlines on his shirt:

020.jpg

If you don't know about Wreck It Ralph, these two signs kind of explain things:

021.jpg

022.jpg

This is apparently Felix, Jr. :

023.jpg

That is Twin #1 doing a pig nose on the case:

024.jpg

They had a full sized Felix Jr. video game down in the office set:

025.jpg

It was a bit after 9 as we left the Animation building. A CM told us that the 9 Fantasmic had been cancelled because of lightning, but that as of then, the 10:30 show was a go.

We rode Rock N' Rollercoaster, and as we exited, there were folks lined up for Fantasmic.

The line wasn't bad, so we decided to go.

We all enjoyed it.

Then it was back to the Fort.

It was wet there, but the rain had stopped.

Those folks we had watched from the bus stop had packed up and left!

That was a bit of an overreaction.

We watched some Olympic stuff in the camper.

Then I decided it was time to do something I have wanted to do for a long time.

I wanted to go and sit in the hot tub.

Ever since they installed it, I have thought about how nice it would be to go and sit in the hot tub after a long day at the Fort.

So, I went.

Here's how things looked at the pool at 1 am:

030.jpg

032.jpg

And, I had the hot tub all to myself. Check out this big chair lift contraption they have installed next to the hot tub:

031.jpg

That looks expensive.

I have to say that sitting in that hot tub after a long day was very sweet. I only stayed for about 10 minutes, but it was great.

I showered off there, and headed back to camp.

It was near 2 am before I turned in.

That meant not too much sleep for me on night one. Because I had plans for a bike ride early in the morning.

TCD

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated. For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're n

I sure it has nothing to do with Uranus, BM, hanging chad, or slow movements down a canal. It has to do with the lack of beer, doesn't it?

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

I'm first! Now to go back and read it!

Okay:

Boo to the bus driver.

Ya'ay to no rain at HS. Gotta see Fantasmic on our next trip.

Ya'ay to the hot tub!

Looking forward to your next adventure!

Thanks, Gwen.

We just recently became Fantasmic fans. It was a long time before we ever got around to seeing it, and then I really didn't see the attraction. But, it is a very good show with non-stop action.

Very nice start!!! I am simply amazed every time I go to the Fort that many of the tent campers don't set up "something" to sit outside of their tent when it's dry. That makes for a miserable time when it rains.

Yes. The Boy Scout in me cringes when I see some of the set-ups. In August, you should count on it raining. But, folks have stuff sitting out, and the tops off their tents, and then come back surprised to find everything soaked.

I'm in! Love a TCD trip report.

Thanks for joining in.

Can't wait to read more!

I'm going to go for one more update today, just to get us off to a good start.

TCD, one word. Koozie.

:beer:

And if it is a Fort Koozie, and the driver questions you, let them know it is a forever Koozie. You can drink forever wherever.

Yeah. That or a refilable mug. They hold one beer, you know. I also got pretty good at putting my beer in my pocket and taking it out after I got past the bus driver.

Now this is more like it! No more of that namby-pamby cruise stuff! Can't wait for more!

Preach it, sister.

That cruise was nice and all, but nothing beats the Fort.

Give me my Giddyap and Go, hammock and a cooler full of beer, and I'm good.

I'm in.

Have they also installed a chair lift for the pool?

Yes. You can see it in this photo back there by the red umbrella:

030.jpg

Hot tubs = people soup.

Truth.

But, compared to the hot tub at the apartment complex I lived in while in college, this thing is nothing.

Plus, it is pretty much straight bleach you are sitting in there.

I am in too!

You arrived on hubby and my anniversary. We didn't do anything that day. Of course I was in Maryland and he was in Alabama at the time.

Well, Happy Anniversary!

Sorry y'all weren't together for it.

Don't worry, you'll have another one next year.

TCD

Thanks for putting that song in my head! NOT!

Beer on the bus? Have you ever heard of solo cups dude? Those refillable WDW mugs do a nice job, too!

My boys can't wait to see WIR. I'm looking forward to it too, Jane Lynch is one of the voices and I love her!

FP4

Here comes another update, just to get this report off to a good start.

It was 2 am before I got to bed on Thursday night.

But, I was up at 6 on Friday.

I had a mission to accomplish, and we were also going to try to make it to Animal Kingdom for rope drop.

My mission was to bike over to Wilderness Lodge.

There was a permit issued to Disney last year to do some work on the road between the Fort and the Lodge, and I was wondering if any of the work had begun.

I wanted to go early before it got too hot, so this seemed like the best time to go.

The sun was not up as I peddled past the swamp next to the 1500 loop. The sky was just beginning to glow:

034.jpg

033.jpg

I ducked in to the 300 loop, and out the back entrance. Those damned cranes are back there just above the tree line at the far end of the canal. We will be checking on those tomorrow morning:

037.jpg

You can see by the water marks on the wall here by the dam how low the canal levels are:

038.jpg

The last time I was out here, there were pumps pumping water from the canal into the lake. Today, you can see that the lake water level is much higher than the canal's:

039.jpg

I am by no means an expert on radio transmission, but I think having a big hunk of moss on your antenna probably isn't the best idea:

040.jpg

You tell me where there is a better view anywhere in Walt Disney World:

041.jpg

Since I'm on the bike, I rode along the shoreline up to the marina:

043.jpg

This photo was taken at 6:49 am. You can see that a resort boat is on its way to the Fort dock. They advertise the start time as being 6:45, and that is usually accurate:

044.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it, but there was already another resort boat at the Fort dock as that other boat approached:

045.jpg

I stopped to take this photo because there was a speaker playing music here. I presume they pipe in the fireworks music here too. This might be a good spot to come if the regular beach is too crowded:

047.jpg

From here, I rode through the golf cart parking area, and around the fence by the walkway to the marina. Here is a shot of all the fences in the area and the Trail's End porch in the background:

048.jpg

Extra points if you saw the bunny in that photo.

Even though there were two boats at the Fort dock, there was only one party who had arrived down here early enough to ride one:

049.jpg

When there are no carts parked, you can get a really good look at the lawnmower stump:

050.jpg

I learned a little secret right here.

Those Doritos don't show up at the Settlement Trading post by magic.

This guy brings them:

051.jpg

Now we are to the Settlement bus stop.

If you ever want to ride a bus by yourself with no waiting, right around 7 am would be a good time:

052.jpg

I love the big open field that the imagineers who designed the Fort left here for all to enjoy. It would have been easier and cheaper to put a parking lot here, and let guests drive themselves to Trail's End and Pioneer Hall. But, the folks who designed the Fort understood the importance or preserving the wilderness, and they did. So now, we have all of these great, open views:

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

If you share my appreciation for this area, I suggest that you get to the Fort soon to get a last look. Because some day in the near future this is all going to be leveled and made in to a big ugly parking lot for the guests at the new DVC resort planned for the old River Country area.

It wasn't quite 7 yet as I made it to the beginning of the trail. The horse barn was still locked up:

057.jpg

There's the old River Country bus stop and the Blacksmith shop. They won't be here for long either:

058.jpg

You can't see it to well in this photo, but if you stand here and look down this path to Bay Lake, you can see the shimmering waters of the lake from here. That will not be a case after the huge resort gets plopped in this space:

059.jpg

Now, here's the trail that we came here to ride:

060.jpg

The Fort IM's have been fighting a battle against air potato plants in the camping loops for the past few years. In the loops, the IM's are winning the battle. Out here, however, the air potatoes rule:

061.jpg

There is a lot of truck and bus traffic on the road early in the morning, so this would not be a good time to ride your golf cart over to the Lodge, in case that is what you were thinking:

062.jpg

063.jpg

This paved path continues all the way to Wilderness Lodge. If you take it, you will arrive at the front of the Lodge, and have to find a way to get your bike to the back where the bike racks are.

So, when you come to this crosswalk, you should take it:

064.jpg

I don't know why this sign is so blury. Maybe it was the moving bike and low light. Or it could be something else. Anyway, this is the best photo I have of it. It says Pedestrian Nature Trail. I guess that bikes are OK:

067.jpg

That trail will take you right to another trail that borders the lake. This is where that trail goes to the right:

068.jpg

That trail will take you back to the Fort, but it says castmembers only, so I can't be sure.

Bay Lake is just on the other side of all these plants:

069.jpg

We are going to go toward the Lodge, keeping Bay Lake on our right.

We will continue on our journey in the next update, as we have reached the photo limit for this one.

TCD

First Installment comment and comments on response to comments:

Maybe "If you're drinking it, I'm drinking it"

translates to

"did you bring enough for the both of us?"

:cheers:

"Give me my GAG, hammock and a cooler full of beer, and I'm good"

Hallelujah!

:worship:

So happy to see you back at the Fort. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Comments on installment #2:

I love how you write these wonderful, descriptive, make me feel warm & fuzzy, things

"the shimmering waters of Bay Lake"

Only to mule kick me with

"You won't ever see it again after the new resort gets plopped in it's place"

:badmood:

I did see the bunny, and I like bunnies. ^_^