It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

Great report sir!

Looking forward to the first TCD and Twin#1 duo trip.

Also looking forward to whatever you are cooking up for August.

Maybe some more football weekend trip reports too?

Thanks.

Scratch the maybe on the last sentence.

I have been studying the schedules for the three schools where the TCD girls will be attending in the fall. 

Don't tell anyone, but there is even a spreadsheet.

It is safe to say that there is a lot of college football in store for the TCD gang coming up.

TCD

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

Great trip report TCD!

I've taken advantage of the Wilderness Lodge like that a few times myself, it's a great spot to relax, especially that area you were at.

Also I would have bought the shower curtain too, I've made similar promises to C.P. before knowing the price and had to follow through.

So since Mrs. TCD isn't a camper will we see more non Disney trips like Seaside or tropical cruises in the future?

WBI

OK, I have a suggestion for the next TDD Trip Report.

Hear me out.

Don't say no until you've pondered it good.

Just consider it.

I think you should do a TCD Does the Fort Solo report.

OK, do not say no yet.

You haven't heard me out.

I know it would be sorta lonely...well, very lonely, without your girls, but just consider...

You could do a long weekend and just focus on a TCD Tours the Fort perspective. You could go into excruciating detail about everything you see and find. Since you'd be doing it solo, you could write the report on-the-fly, while you're there, and us Fort Fiends could keep you company electronically.

Just a thought. It would be a fun read. Maybe not quite as fun for you, but lots of fun for us.

I like it! Norm's a genius. (There...does that get me out of the hot water I got in on the Pirate thread?) 

Thanks.

Scratch the maybe on the last sentence.

I have been studying the schedules for the three schools where the TCD girls will be attending in the fall. 

Don't tell anyone, but there is even a spreadsheet.

It is safe to say that there is a lot of college football in store for the TCD gang coming up.

TCD

You have three outstanding daughters going to three outstanding schools.

That is something to be proud of to be sure.

They also happen to be going to three awesome football schools with stadiums I would very much like to visit and watch a game at someday.

You sir are a lucky, lucky man.

I learned something very important from this report, I should have asked my Daddy for the shower curtain instead of being sly and trying to buy it without Brian around. Duh!

True.  But I would have bought it for Mrs. TCD too, if she had asked me before I knew the price.

I learned a lesson.

Great trip report TCD!

I've taken advantage of the Wilderness Lodge like that a few times myself, it's a great spot to relax, especially that area you were at.

Also I would have bought the shower curtain too, I've made similar promises to C.P. before knowing the price and had to follow through.

So since Mrs. TCD isn't a camper will we see more non Disney trips like Seaside or tropical cruises in the future?

WBI

Good man.  You have to treat the princesses right.

Most definitely there will be beach trips and cruises in our future.  Not as much fun as the Fort, but I'll suffer through it.

I like it! Norm's a genius. (There...does that get me out of the hot water I got in on the Pirate thread?) 

That ought to do it.

I love Wilderness Lodge. I would love to stay there someday. 

I liked that shower curtain a whole lot until I found out the price. You are a good daddy. 

Thanks for the TR. Loved it as always. 

We did stay in the Lodge way back when it first opened.  I love it there too,   But I love to visit it while staying at the Fort.  I can enjoy all of the public spaces without paying those Lodge rates.

I have a feeling that the shower curtain will be the basis of one of the many tales I will tell to my grandchildren one day.  So, there's a big upside to it.

You have three outstanding daughters going to three outstanding schools.

That is something to be proud of to be sure.

They also happen to be going to three awesome football schools with stadiums I would very much like to visit and watch a game at someday.

You sir are a lucky, lucky man.

I am truly blessed.

I am looking forward to visiting Jordan-Hare stadium for a game.  I know how to tailgate in Gainesville and Tallahassee.  I am looking forward to finding out how it's done in Auburn.  If there are any Tigers reading along who want to invite me to a tailgate, I am making plans for the fall.

TCD

I was gonna suggest that you could bribe Mrs. TCD with a new moho and then maybe she'd come to the Fort with you but with 3 girls in college and all those shower curtains to buy.... :rofl2:

LOL!  So true.

I am glad that two of the girls are now settled in their college housing.

Every time I turned around, I was buying towels, a rug,  pillows, or something.

Now it's Twin #1's turn.  She hasn't mentioned what kind of shower curtain she would like to have.  I'm hoping it isn't a Finding Nemo, Cars or Lion King one from AoA.  (Fingers crossed).  I am just about out of money.

TCD

TCD,

I fell behind, but just finished! As always thanks for writing it up and sharing it with all of us!

It sounded like a great trip and as always you certainly know how to pack a lot into a day!

I think I already sent my congratulations to your girls, but it can't be said enough....CONGRATS to all three!!!

I did chuckle when I saw the photos of your daughters room....of course being a girl and having two boys, I know firsthand how different boys and girls are....it was obvious your daughter put a lot of thought into her room and decorating it.....the tree on the wall and all of that pink!!! When my son went to college two years ago, he couldn't have cared less about ANY decorating. He didn't even want me to buy him a new comforter or sheets (I did) He brought just the basic necessities and was happy with that!! Just so funny how different boys and girls are!!

I am sad that your Fort trip reports will not be as frequent, but will be looking forward to reading about you visiting your girls, football games and any little getaways that you can manage!

Heidi

I remember when my oldest left for the dorms. That was one of the first years Alabama had the tax free school supply weekend. Of course non of the dorm crap counted, and that's what I spent the most on.

True.  We really didn't buy very many traditional school supplies.

Just finished. Great report. J is only 5 but I hope I handle her going to school as well as you did.

Hey, it's life.  All that came before this prepared us for the time that Twin #2 was going to leave the nest.  It' a little sad, but mostly a happy time.

well if she does there is another TR for you to write

You are right.   Maybe I should suggest an AoA shopping trip.  Maybe to just look though.

TCD,

I fell behind, but just finished! As always thanks for writing it up and sharing it with all of us!

It sounded like a great trip and as always you certainly know how to pack a lot into a day!

I think I already sent my congratulations to your girls, but it can't be said enough....CONGRATS to all three!!!

I did chuckle when I saw the photos of your daughters room....of course being a girl and having two boys, I know firsthand how different boys and girls are....it was obvious your daughter put a lot of thought into her room and decorating it.....the tree on the wall and all of that pink!!! When my son went to college two years ago, he couldn't have cared less about ANY decorating. He didn't even want me to buy him a new comforter or sheets (I did) He brought just the basic necessities and was happy with that!! Just so funny how different boys and girls are!!

I am sad that your Fort trip reports will not be as frequent, but will be looking forward to reading about you visiting your girls, football games and any little getaways that you can manage!

Heidi

Thanks for reading and commenting.

No doubt girls are way different than boys.  All of the families there for "rope drop" at the dorm were families of girls.  There are boys staying in that dorm too.  I guess they just got dropped off with a small box or two sometime later, and they were good to go.

I hope that there will be many more TCD TR's.  The thing I'm trying to adjust to is that I know they will be different from this point on.

TCD

Well, what do you know?

We snuck in a quick one day trip to WDW yesterday.  Just Twin #1 and I.  Twin #2 and the oldest TCD DD are away so they couldn't come.  But we could, and you get some bonus photos!

We needed to go yesterday because we needed to see the Limited Time Magic 4th of July things that will be at the MK from July 1 through  7th.  We have plans for later in the week, so the 1st was our only chance.

It was raining pretty good in the morning, and we decided to wait and see how the weather looked before heading out.  The only things we really wanted to see were the 3:00 MK parade and the 4th of July fireworks, so we were not in a hurry.  If we had another day we could have done it this week, I would have called the whole thing off, but it was the 1st or nothing.

So, we headed East at about 11:30.

It rained on and off as we traveled through Tampa to the east.  Just past Lakeland, it stopped raining, but it was very cloudy. 

When we arrived at the MK it was overcast, but the ground was dry.  If it had rained there that morning, it had not rained much.

We entered the MK around 1:40 pm.  We were surprised to see that there were guests already claiming spots for the parade along Main Street.  That is where we planned to sit, so we found a spot, and parked Twin #1 there.  I then headed to Space Mountain to grab some Fastpasses for later.

On the way, I cut through the shops on Main Street, but ended up at a rope strung across the exit from the glass shop.

This is what I saw on the other side of the rope:

July12013001_zpsaaef9ba3.jpg

July12013002_zpsb10b6eb1.jpg

That is the new Starbucks.  It used to be the Main Street Bakery.  Now, it's just a giant Starbucks.  Nothing is being baked in there.

I couldn't cut through the Starbucks, so it was back out on the street for me.

Guess who I ran into on the way to Space Mountain?

PUSH, the talking trash can:

July12013003_zps7fa32971.jpg

I know how this trick is done.

So, I looked around for a CM hiding somewhere off to the side who was controlling and speaking for PUSH.

I couldn't see anyone.

Just this Brazilian guy talking on his hands free device:

July12013004_zps53da5fe5.jpg

July12013005_zps87d0ceb4.jpg

I couldn't figure out how this was being done.

Maybe there was a midget Stef  little person inside of the can?

I grabbed our Fastpasses.  4:15 return time.  Perfect.

Then zipped back to Main Street.

But first I had to get past this BTG.  That's Brazilian Tour Group for you who haven't had the pleasure.  They were all over the MK today:

July12013006_zps1cc7a032.jpg

July12013007_zps62ffa64a.jpg

When I finally got back to our spot, Twin #1 said she would like to get a drink from Starbucks.

I told her sorry, but we are boycotting the Starbucks.

She said, very funny, and that I should sit down and guard our spot, as there were no more empty spaces anywhere up and down Main Street.

And she was right.  I was surprised by how many people had shown up early to claim spots for the special 4th of July things they were going to add to the 3 o'clock parade.

I think sitting an waiting for a parade an hour before it starts is a waste of time.  But, there was something that I really wanted to see, and the clouds made it almost pleasant out, so I sat.

While I don't like to wait for parades, I do like to people watch.

The lady next to me kept looking at a bunch of papers she had with Post-It notes and such.

Since I'm nosy, I took a photo.  I couldn't read what her papers said, but I knew that I could blow up the photo later and see.

So, here's the lady with her papers:

July12013008_zps6289f451.jpg

And here's the zoom:

paper_zpsf684a933.jpg

Hmmm.

What is that all about?

Wait, I found out, and so will you.

Soon.

When Twin #1 told me that she was going to defy the boycott, I gave her my camera and asked her to at least take a few photos of the Starbucks.

She did, and here's what she came back with:

July12013010_zps520b5679.jpg

July12013011_zpseb5b627f.jpg

July12013014_zpsbb984026.jpg

In the meantime, I sat and watched as storm clouds rolled in from the south.

I took this photo with my phone, and texted it to Twin #1 with the caption "I have a bad feeling about this." :

storm_zps560e5523.jpg

And sure enough, not long after I took that photo, it started to rain:

July12013019_zps94c8438a.jpg

Despite the rain, guests pretty much held their ground, and so did we.

Twin #1 took an Instagram photo of her coffee drink, which I share here:

igstarbucks_zpsa2989c2b.jpg

The Instagram caption for this photo said:  "Rainy Day Disney Starbies=Perfection."   That earned her 38 likes.

Good Grief.

Can you believe the younger generation?

We are in big trouble, I tell you.

There was a group waiting across from us with matching pink shirts from some kind of dance organization:

July12013020_zps3ad417f4.jpg

And, starting at around 2:30, guests around me started to murmur about the parade being late.

What was this about?

I wasn't sure, but it kept on raining:

July12013024_zps7fb2b33e.jpg

But, nobody left:

July12013027_zps5a95bfe3.jpg

Then someone shouted "Here they come!"

The guy next to us stepped out into the road, so all we got to see was his butt.  No less than four castmembers came by and asked him to get back on the curb, but he didn't:

July12013029_zpsec5968b1.jpg

What was going on was some kind of dance group was marching down Main Street.  That meant that I was surrounded by Dance Moms and Dads, like the gentleman who thought it was OK to stand in the street and block our view:

July12013031_zps4127522b.jpg

What followed next were hundreds and hundreds of special snowflakes whose mommies and daddies had paid some astronomical sum to transport them, buy them costumes and make up and allow them this chance to walk down Main Street in pouring rain.  It was quite the spectacle:

July12013034_zpsb2e6a6e4.jpg

July12013035_zpsf7610a3f.jpg

July12013043_zps9aae189e.jpg

Those poor little snowflakes were getting drenched.

Finally, those in charge gave the command that they should run, and that is what they did, ruby slippers and all.  It's a wonder no one slipped and fell:

July12013046_zps7f105517.jpg

And, with that, the pre-pre-show ended, and half of the crowd got up and left.

Wow.

I've never seen that before.

Or this.

A Duck Dynasty wannabe with a camera strapped to his head:

July12013047_zpsbd364165.jpg

By the time the dust had settled, it was 2:55 pm, and there were all kinds of open spots on Main Street:

July12013050_zpsb139a6ea.jpg

You can see that the clock shows the time is 2:55, and that there is not much of a crowd gathered for the 3 o'clock parade:

July12013051_zps6a5ddb31.jpg

I told Twin #1 we needed a photo of this, and she complied:

July12013053_zps1705b0a8.jpg

At this point, we had been waiting for over an hour, most of it in the rain, and we weren't sure whether or not there would be a parade.

I snagged one of the many castmembers walking up and down the street doing nothing and asked her if the parade would be performed today.

She told me that it had just left Frontierland and was on the way.

I asked her if the special 4th of July stuff was included, and she said, yes, that is what we would see first.

Oh, boy!

I'll share my photos of that next.

And of something else that we found out about.

When it rains, they do things a bit differently for the 3 o'clock parade.

TCD

Duck Dynasty guy is a genius and may have just solved the dilemma of how I can finally be completely "hands free" in the parks.   :rofl2:

Great pic of Twin #1.

The dance kids did not look like they were having a magical time.  I too am surprised they told them to run.  Can't imagine there's a whole lotta traction on sparkly shoes.

Wow, a bonus trip!  Great!  Can't wait to read more.

Well, I've got one more update to post today, so you won't have to wait long!

Duck Dynasty guy is a genius and may have just solved the dilemma of how I can finally be completely "hands free" in the parks.   :rofl2:

Great pic of Twin #1.

The dance kids did not look like they were having a magical time.  I too am surprised they told them to run.  Can't imagine there's a whole lotta traction on sparkly shoes.

I was surprised to see those kids running too. 

I think it was pretty crummy that those kids had to march in the rain like that.  But, I guess this was their time to march, and they had to do it then or never.

Bonus!!

Who doesn't love bonus material?

Yay!!!! Bonus material!

See what I mean?

Yay!

TCD

We left off wondering what was going to happen at 3 o'clock.

And before I let you know what happened, I need to back up and share what it was that brought us here.

Two weeks or so ago, the Disney Parks Blog announced that there would be special Limited Time Magic things in the parks for the whole first week of July.

What really caught my eye was the announcement that the old Disney calliope would be part of the festivities.  It says so right here:

June14DPB_zps0c8f204f.jpg

(I used the purple crayon to point it out for you),

If you're a true Fiend, you know that calliope was put on display in the Fort Wilderness horse barn a few years ago.  And there it stood until some time last year when it mysteriously disappeared and was replaced by some other wagon.

Word was that the calliope was sent out to be put in working order, and that it would perform one day again in the MK.

It looks like that day had finally arrived!

And I planned on being there to see it.

At a little before 3, the parade came on down Main Street:

July12013057_zpsae7db7c9.jpg

Woo Hoo! It's the Fire Chief! :

July12013058_zps5088b7db.jpg

July12013059_zpsa26ad208.jpg

But what is that wagon doing there?

This is not the calliope!:

July12013061_zps1e9c9d0a.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice wagon:

July12013062_zps7f214aea.jpg

July12013064_zps89579eb6.jpg

July12013065_zps45caa651.jpg

But, that is not the calliope.

That wagon does have a Fort connection.

It was put on display at the Fort last year, and was there in the horse barn through the early part of this year:

FW101812556.jpg

FW101812557.jpg

What the Fort?

Where is the calliope?

Those Disney Parks Blog people sit on a throne of lies!

Oh well, we were here, we may as well watch the parade.

Next up came some dancers:

July12013066_zps36c55b46.jpg

And a float with some patriotic characters in it, but no parade:

July12013068_zps81f04436.jpg

July12013070_zps10b3fa47.jpg

Now what?

No sooner had we asked that question, that the friendly Disney announcer came over the park PA system and announced that the parade was cancelled because of the rain.  But, he went on, we should keep our seats, as the Rainy Day Cavalcade was on its way!

Rainy Day Cavalcade?

Have you ever heard of that?

I hadn't.

We could see that something was coming down the street.

Some new guests had taken the place of the Dance Moms and Dads, and they decided that they would stand out in the road and watch:

July12013071_zpse49ead45.jpg

An ineffective CM came by and asked them to please get up on the curb.

They ignored her.

Well, I had enough.

I yelled- "Get out of the street."

They didn't move.

Typical teenagers.

They were not going to win.

I yelled again.

They still didn't move.

I yelled yet again and said "PLEASE GET OUT OF THE STREET!!!!"

I knew that they heard me.

And I yelled yet again.

I guess they got the message, because they got out of the street.

Not without dropping a couple of F bombs on the way.

Classy.

Very classy.

But I won.

They lost.

Go me.

There was no way those snotty brats were going to stop me from seeing my first Rainy Day Cavalcade.

And here it comes!:

July12013072_zps30369555.jpg

Mickey and Minnie got to ride in the big car:

July12013073_zpsde1b8370.jpg

July12013075_zps6073874f.jpg

Then along came Chip and Dale:

July12013076_zpsf094b647.jpg

We recognized that car and that driver.  He has driven us in that car before:

July12013077_zps8c586049.jpg

We were on the Chip side:

July12013078_zps3036503a.jpg

You can see the rain falling in that last photo.

Apparently a cavalcade only requires three cars, because that's all we got.

Last came a car full of princesses:

July12013079_zps6c96aa8d.jpg

July12013080_zps53752c25.jpg

July12013081_zps8e6f7f9d.jpg

And, then all the people fleeing the rain.  This photo was taken at 3:12 pm:

July12013082_zps8db8f07b.jpg

There were a lot of people leaving:

July12013083_zps52ef1470.jpg

Maybe that would mean low crowds and short wait times!

But first,  I had a problem that I needed to assess.

Apparently, the Main Street sidewalks are all slanted so they drain into the road.

Good idea.

But that meant that I had been sitting on top of a waterfall for the past half hour.

And my pants were a little wet:

July12013087_zps88e945f4.jpg

When we visit the parks on rainy days, I bring a change of clothes.  But my change of clothes was back in the car, and I didn't feel like going to get them with the crowds that were heading out to overwhelm all the transportation modes outside of the park.

So, I carried on.

Wet butt and all.

By the way, do you see that little nook I'm standing in?  It's covered, and the rain wasn't falling on me in there.  It's right around the clock on Main Street.  In all of my visits to the MK, I have never noticed it.  Never.

The next time they have a 24 hour day at the MK, this is where I will take my nap.  If you're there, look for me.

From here, we ventured back into the park.

We had about an hour before our Space Mountain Fastpasses were good, and we had some ideas as to what to do until then.

TCD