Fun stuff at Disney No parks?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walk the boardwalk. Pool hop to other pools like Art of Animation.....the gate will likely be open. If non resort visitors can use your pool, you outta be able to use any pool you want. Go on a treat

Go to the marina and move golf carts around using a univeral key.

I enjoy The Fort, but I couldn't imagine a visit without going to The Magic Kingdom. That's my favorite park. I guess I'm just a kid at heart, but as soon as I seen the Magic Kingdom sign I get all gi

Disney has a nature preserve that is not part of the parks proper:

https://www.google.com/search?q=disney+wildlife+management+area&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Stay at The Fort but go to Universal - especially if you are a Harry Potter fan. It's still parks,though, just not Disney.

We're usually there during the holidays so we resort hop to look at decorations.  

We enjoy riding our bikes to the Lodge and enjoying breakfast over there.  

For that matter, we ride our bikes all over the Fort.  

Rent canoes.

Fish in the canals and the Meadows pond.

Go to the pool.

Visit DTD and get a bite at Earl's.

Play mini golf.

INC likes to head offsite to shop at Ikea.  

It's amazing how time can fly by at the Fort even when not doing parks.  But it's a more relaxing vacation for me doing it this way.

Resort hopping is a biggie for us.  Lots to do and explore, places to eat, etc.  During the holidays it's even better as the decorations are amazing.

While it's a bit of a hike, Animal Kingdom Lodge is probably our favorite as it's very different from all the other resorts, and on top of some great places to eat, they have their own savannah of animals with lots of viewing areas accessible to visitors.

We don't venture off property a lot, but we usually make a trip to the 2 Disney outlet stores nearby - fun to poke around and sometimes some great deals.

Disney has a nature preserve that is not part of the parks proper:

If you decide to visit, don't expect the Disney touch. Despite it's name, it's not part of the Disney company, it's owned and managed by "The Nature Conservancy".

In 1990 the Walt Disney Co. provided 8,000 of the 12000 acres of land to the conservancy and funded the restoration of the land and monitoring of the animal life. They continue to sponsor scientific projects.

Disney’s name is connected to it only because of the U.S. Clean Water Act, which requires wetlands damaged by human activity, IE. WDW, to be replaced elsewhere.

It's located near Kissimmee. It's  free to get in, but donations are appreciated.

...People watch.

Reminds me... we've put together our own mini "Food & Wine" at DTD where we grab something to share (and a beverage) at different places and just stroll around and people watch.

While you're there, and if it's a calm, clear day or night (especailly around fireworks time), go up the Characters in Flight balloon.

Walk the boardwalk.

Pool hop to other pools like Art of Animation.....the gate will likely be open.

If non resort visitors can use your pool, you outta be able to use any pool you want.

Go on a treat tour.....dole whips at poly (if they are available again), ice cream of the future at CR, magic cookie bars at WL.

Go on a drinks around the monorail tour.

If you have never been to Art of Animation it is worth a walk-about.

Hang out by marina before and after the HDDR shows and listen to what other resort guests think about the Fort and its people. I have heard some funny things.

Here's one i remember from our last trip:

"Now I see why these "campers" like this place. It is very peaceful"......in best female fake british/L.A. voice.

It was totally meant as a putdown to us lowly people but with a back handed compliment so i am sure it was all good on her end. LOL

I totally forgot about the Boardwalk - great place to go hang out, walk around, rent a surrey bike...

You can also check out a bunch of resorts ...including the Swalphin.  Take the boat around.

The Yacht/Beach Clubs also have movies on the beach at night.  Not sure if it's the same movie schedule as the Fort or not.

We like to ride the epcot monorail all the way around - it is a fun view of the park even when you are not visiting.  The boat ride from epcot to the studios is fun too and gives able spots to hope off and tour the resorts.  We spend a whole day resort hopping even when we are doing parks.  And I know I'll will sound like a fuddy duddy, but I like to sit under my awning with a glass of wine and a good book.  Not many opportunities for that at home.

You all have really great suggestions.

But I've been sitting back and reading along until the point has come where I have to add my 2 cents.

The OP is in Texas.  So it costs him at least as much in fuel as us.  Sites are obviously the same for both of us.

There is NO WAY I would spend that amount of money and not go into at least one of the parks.  Really there's no way we would make that trip and not have at least a 10-day pass.  We have made trips where we've only stayed 7 days, but that was when we were both working and under time constraints.  And we had more income.  And we weren't happy with the short stays.

I would go to an RV park much closer to home.  In fact, we could make 3-4 trips closer to home than what one trip to WDW would cost.  And overall be much happier.

We would be miserable at the fort knowing we couldn't enter a park.