Fun stuff at Disney No parks?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walk the boardwalk. Pool hop to other pools like Art of Animation.....the gate will likely be open. If non resort visitors can use your pool, you outta be able to use any pool you want. Go on a treat

Go to the marina and move golf carts around using a univeral key.

I enjoy The Fort, but I couldn't imagine a visit without going to The Magic Kingdom. That's my favorite park. I guess I'm just a kid at heart, but as soon as I seen the Magic Kingdom sign I get all gi

A couple of years ago I made my first trip to the Fort. We didnt have the money for a site, we were sharing with another Fiend. We only had enough money for a 1 day park hopper towards the end of the trip. We spent time exploring the Fort, Going to other resorts and some of the other suggestions listed here. I can quite happily spend a week to 10 days at Disney World without going into a park. The same can not be said of staying somewhere closer to home. Without extra activities and or Fiends I get bored camping in one location. Travel the country camping sure but one place without enough variety would really wear on me after a while.

But then I have never been good at the whole relaxation thing. 

I'd have to go to a park at least 1 day... I have to see the castle. But on our April 2013 trip, we only did 2 park days and a date evening at Epcot. That gave us something like 7 Fort days, and we had a blast! We didn't even do a ton of resort hopping.

I'm with y'all in the "no way I could be that close and not go" dept. 

It was hard enough being there for WWW this year without an AP and knowing I couldn't just pop in any ol' time.

But that said, if you're there long enough, or lengthy park tickets aren't in the budget, there are plenty of "other" things to do that still feel like you're at Disney. 

Fireworks from Poly beach (not sure if new construction interferes)

I think it's going to.  At the very least, the villas are going to obstruct the view for a decent chunk of the beach. 

I found some fairly recent photos that illustrate on this site...

http://www.wdwfacts.com/2014/04/09/disneys-polynesian-dvc-construction-photos-40914/

Here are a couple of them...

IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_4488.jpg

Oh and when we drove over to eat at Kona a few weeks ago, they did ask if we had a reservation and scanned my MB.  The construction equipment/staging is using up some of the parking lot and my guess is that they're being picky about who they let in to park as a result.

So if you do go, take the boat/monorail.  :)

We've taken our grand kids to Disney world so many times, we would all like to come and enjoy all the things we never have time for: horseback riding, mini golf, water parks, canoeing and kayaking, a fishing trip, renting a pontoon boat, archery, Segway tours, everything mentioned before...I could go on forever. Yes, we could go to an rv resort closer to home, but we haven't found one yet as good as Fort Wilderness. And, if we got bored (which I doubt) we could always buy park tickets at the gate. Anyway, the grand kids have requested a no park visit next summer, we'll see if they stick with it. But , no matter what, it will be a great family vacation.

Goto PO riverside and see yeehaw bob. He puts on a great show. Family friendly and it's free.

Is there a listing for show times some where?

You all have really great suggestions.

But I've been sitting back and reading along until the point has come where I have to add my 2 cents.

The OP is in Texas.  So it costs him at least as much in fuel as us.  Sites are obviously the same for both of us.

There is NO WAY I would spend that amount of money and not go into at least one of the parks.  Really there's no way we would make that trip and not have at least a 10-day pass.  We have made trips where we've only stayed 7 days, but that was when we were both working and under time constraints.  And we had more income.  And we weren't happy with the short stays.

I would go to an RV park much closer to home.  In fact, we could make 3-4 trips closer to home than what one trip to WDW would cost.  And overall be much happier.

We would be miserable at the fort knowing we couldn't enter a park.

Your right about your whole post. But the unknow clue is I was thinking of using my sisters DVC points so no camper, no Fort , short trip. I wouldn't drag the camper to the Fort for less then 2 weeks because of fuel prices. I would love to go into MK for one day but it starts making the trip cost to much. So i was just looking for cheap fun.

Is there a listing for show times some where?

Your right about your whole post. But the unknow clue is I was thinking of using my sisters DVC points so no camper, no Fort , short trip. I wouldn't drag the camper to the Fort for less then 2 weeks because of fuel prices. I would love to go into MK for one day but it starts making the trip cost to much. So i was just looking for cheap fun.

What if you went during a party and went to a Party? Cheaper than a 1 day tix bed if you go in as early as they let you, you could get stuff done.

Thank you, Beckers!  I was afraid I would be slammed for my response.

I'm going to slam you, but not because of your response, but because you think that you would be slammed for it. What board do you think this is?

You've been on here long enough to know better. All opinions are valued and there is no slamming on here unless you venture onto the debate forum.

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

Unless you're a local, and are able to come any time, coming long distance and not doing the parks is silly.

As good as some might feel that the Fort is as strictly a stand alone campground, there are other campgrounds that are just as good and in some cases, better.

We haven't been to the parks in years, but have been to the Fort numerous times.

That said, we are fairly local(Tampa), so I would probably feel different if I traveled any distances.

Do you have kids? If so the best place to take them is Animal Kingdom Lodge. They have a lot of kids activities, animals to watch, and they have an activity room open all day and night that has arts and crafts, video games, Disney movies, etc. great place to hang out and relax.

You could try to find the old railroad tracks and see if you can locate a spike. Fish, walk along the canal over to Golden Oaks.

Hang out on the porch at the Meadow.

Others have covered a lot of the things I m

Would mention.

I think I stated this on another thread somewhere, but this is our 1st year with AP's and I actually miss fort trips with no parks. We have been camping at the fort since 07 and almost all of those trips we did not goto a park. As everyone says, there few campgrounds if any even close to the fort. What's the purpose of spending up to $140 per night for a concrete pad if your going to be at the parks from sun up to sun down. The fort is just a great place to relax. To me it doesn't even feel like your in Florida. Even if you don't spend extra money on boat rentals, archery or the expensive Segway tour, sitting in your lounge chair under your awning with something cold to drink is more than enough excuse to be at the fort. We are here now for 5 days and have done the MK after 7 yesterday just to ride the mine train and will be at DHS tomorrow just to wrap up Star Wars. The other time will be relaxing, swimming and looping

I'm going to slam you, but not because of your response, but because you think that you would be slammed for it. What board do you think this is?

You've been on here long enough to know better. All opinions are valued and there is no slamming on here unless you venture onto the debate forum.

Lou, I've been slammed on here several times -- and not in the debate forum.  So I try to watch what I say.  I really don't want to offend anyone.

Sorry!  I assumed you would be camping.  

If you decide to visit, don't expect the Disney touch. Despite it's name, it's not part of the Disney company, it's owned and managed by "The Nature Conservancy".

In 1990 the Walt Disney Co. provided 8,000 of the 12000 acres of land to the conservancy and funded the restoration of the land and monitoring of the animal life. They continue to sponsor scientific projects.

Disney’s name is connected to it only because of the U.S. Clean Water Act, which requires wetlands damaged by human activity, IE. WDW, to be replaced elsewhere.

It's located near Kissimmee. It's  free to get in, but donations are appreciated.

Bring bug repellant. I loved the place, but I am a rustic nature guy. FWGirl was not impressed. Also bring water.

I think I stated this on another thread somewhere, but this is our 1st year with AP's and I actually miss fort trips with no parks. We have been camping at the fort since 07 and almost all of those trips we did not goto a park. As everyone says, there few campgrounds if any even close to the fort. What's the purpose of spending up to $140 per night for a concrete pad if your going to be at the parks from sun up to sun down. The fort is just a great place to relax. To me it doesn't even feel like your in Florida. Even if you don't spend extra money on boat rentals, archery or the expensive Segway tour, sitting in your lounge chair under your awning with something cold to drink is more than enough excuse to be at the fort. We are here now for 5 days and have done the MK after 7 yesterday just to ride the mine train and will be at DHS tomorrow just to wrap up Star Wars. The other time will be relaxing, swimming and looping

Sounds great wish I was there right now.

Sorry!  I assumed you would be camping.

Well this is a camping forum so your assumption should have been right.
  • 3 weeks later...

We do Fort-only trips all the time.  Haven't done this at other resorts, not sure which DVC you mean but I would imagine staying anywhere on property is fun.  All have plenty to do and you can always jump in the car and go somewhere in the area.

Some have said it is silly, and perhaps it is, but when you just don't have the budget for park tickets, you take whatever Disney magic you can get.  Is it hard?  You bet.  But I try to make the best of it.  Are we "miserable"?  Nah.  Even the kids get over it after that first bit of disappointment, because we love it there so much.  Attitude is everything, and we make the most of what we have and try not to dwell on what we don't, or can't have.

It's not that we don't want to go to parks or don't like to, we just can't.  But the resort has enough for us to do that we have stayed for a week and had a great time.  If you have a chance to go to WDW but not do parks, personally I'd go anyway.

This time of year, who wants to be in the parks anyway? 90 degree heat and tons of people! Not my idea of fun. We are spending the week at the Fort and enjoying all of its perks.

I totally agree. We are thinking water parks, pools, and Downtown Disney